Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

what the gently caress

Scorpion rules in MK95

I mean for that one fight sure. But he has no character at all in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Characters that are better in MK95:

Sonya
Liu Kang
Raiden
Shang Tsung
Goro

Characters that are better in MK21:

Scorpion
Sub Zero

Tied:
Kano

Movie that has Johnny Cage along with Cage punching Goro in the nuts: MK95

MK 95 is the clear winner

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Characters that are terrible in both: Reptile

Isn't he supposed to be a ninja guy too? I admit I've only played the first couple Mortal Kombat games but I remember him being a green ninja.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I'm not even counting Reptile because neither are close to the game.

Also all I could think of for that scene is how silly the actors looked fighting air.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Reptile in this is almost exactly like he is in MK Deception. Buncha fake fans in here. They even use the weird deep pull of calling him by his real name instead of just reptile.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I liked it but I’m also not a huge MK lore nerd and I’ve always thought MK95 was just kinda okay. :shrug:

This one knew exactly what kind of movie it wanted to be and never pretended to be anything more, plus I’m not going to fault anything that gets Hiroyuki Sanada an easy paycheck.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Scorpion drools. Sub-Zero for life.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Eh, I thought the movie was okay. It had it's moments.

Cole fuckin' sucked though. There's enough characters in the Mortal Kombat universe that you didn't need to make a generic angsty OC who feels like he's straight out of a late 2000's Mortal Kombat fanfic to be your main character.

Also, I can't believe they brought in Nitara, of all characters. What a weird pull for the movie.

X-O posted:

Characters that are terrible in both: Reptile

Isn't he supposed to be a ninja guy too? I admit I've only played the first couple Mortal Kombat games but I remember him being a green ninja.

As the games went on they made him look more and more reptilian. All of the character designs evolved quite a bit over time but Reptile's one of the more drastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah they wanted to distance all the ninja characters away from being obvious recolors of Scorpion as the series went on. Only he and sometimes Sub-zero kept the ninja-y look. Reptile became more of a hooded reptile assassin, Ermac became a mummy, Rain became more prince of Persia styled, and Smoke became... an anime.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The movie really feels like a fan film that got just a smidge more budget but was still written by a teenager.

I was impressed with the Goro cg after how bad Reptile was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Dave posted:

The movie really feels like a fan film that got just a smidge more budget but was still written by a teenager.

I was impressed with the Goro cg after how bad Reptile was.

Nobody kicked Goro in the nards so the entire film is a failure.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kano in the games is just Kano in the first movie because they loved him so much they changed him to just be that.

Kano in the first film is so good that the English actor that played him spent the rest of his career pretending to be Australian.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
*wakes up, makes breakfast, checks Movie thread, sees unanimous agreement*

:negative:

Noooooo, I was hoping so much this would be a good time. How can they have messed up so bad that folks are saying the 95 one is still better? FFS, the MK 9 - 11 story modes nailed a fun, hokey kung fu schlock vibe, the template is right there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Kano in the first film is so good that the English actor that played him spent the rest of his career pretending to be Australian.

I was today years old when I learned Trevor Goddard was British.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This was pretty bad! Trying to structure this into a team-gathering movie was not a good choice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This one knew exactly what kind of movie it wanted to be and never pretended to be anything more

It’s self aware that it’s based on bottom tier fighting games about 3 times and otherwise trying way too hard to be a serious thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Very bizarre that they spend so much time on the tournament backstory (for a tournament they never go to) and zero time explaining the Scorpion/Sub Zero beef.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

... bottom tier fighting games....

Thank you, now wake me up when they decide to make Samurai Showdown, Mark of the Wolf, (a proper) Street Fighter, etc into a live action movie.

muscles like this! posted:

Very bizarre that they spend so much time on the tournament backstory (for a tournament they never go to) and zero time explaining the Scorpion/Sub Zero beef.

You see, one is blue and one is yellow.....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Did you miss the first ten minutes of the movie

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think they mean why Hanzo and Bi-Han had a blood feud going on..

Which was just Chinese ninjas vs Japanese ninjas shut up I know I know

Cgi Goro had nothing on monster-suit goro. Dude's big as a barn and when he falls down he's... just kinda tall?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kinda feels like you're just looking for something to complain about at that point

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

*wakes up, makes breakfast, checks Movie thread, sees unanimous agreement*

:negative:

Noooooo, I was hoping so much this would be a good time. How can they have messed up so bad that folks are saying the 95 one is still better? FFS, the MK 9 - 11 story modes nailed a fun, hokey kung fu schlock vibe, the template is right there.

Ah, it's fine. I enjoyed it even if the OC is dumb and makes no sense.

My ranking is Kut Scene Kompilation previously shared in this thread>MK95>MK21>......................................>Annihilation

Having said that MK95 still has the best song to ever come out of the 90s with only Blade's Bloodbath Rave coming close.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Somehow that dumb libe action TV show is better than Annihilation.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It did suck a lot that we only got a mediocre remix of the theme song during the credits instead of the actual thing. They had to know everybody watching was expecting it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
edit: Did you notice there were only two songs listed in the credits? I let the credits play waiting for a post credit scene and that amazed me

FilthyImp posted:

oh drat, i actually have that on dvd I should watch it again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Reading someone else's thoughts about the movie reminded me, it was fairly ridiculous/hilarious how easily cole's family took to sub zero and goro showing up, and him growing an iron man suit, and everything else. Guess they've been desensitized by movies too

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm still trying to wrap my head around magic cybernetic arms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So there’s no Johnny Cage in this at all?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why does Sub Zero say "For the Lin Kuei" in English in 1617?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JT Smiley posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around magic cybernetic arms.

I still want to know if he didnt have cyberarms at all, would his arcana not work

FlamingLiberal posted:

So there’s no Johnny Cage in this at all?

Cage is the sequel teaser

Aphrodite posted:

:iiam:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That seemed like an error because he had subtitles up for it.

Although my question is how exactly does Sub Zero live from the 1600s to now?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Although my question is how exactly does Sub Zero live from the 1600s to now?
He's cold blooded.

Not Cole-blooded.

site posted:

I still want to know if he didnt have cyberarms at all, would his arcana not work
Arcana seems somewhat based on personality/need/whatever. Liu Kang had a BURNING HATRED of orphan slavers so fireballs. KUNG LAO is skilled, prideful, and dismissive so he gets the hat trick. And, well, they couldn't make KANO piss bloody fire so eyelaser.

Jax probably gets mystic energy arms or Luke Cage powers otherwise or spirit guns.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

That's because in MK Conquest, Noob Saibot fucks.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I read someone suggest that Cole would have been better as an avatar for Scorpion to posses in order to get his revenge and now I'm sad we didn't get that movie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all I watched MK95 not six months ago and all Sonya does in that movie is kill Kano, blandly deliver generic 90's tough girl dialogue, get creeped on, and get kidnapped I don't know what version of the character you guys are remembering

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JT Smiley posted:

I read someone suggest that Cole would have been better as an avatar for Scorpion to posses in order to get his revenge and now I'm sad we didn't get that movie.

I assumed with all the dream scenes that his arcana would be getting the fire and spear thing but no he got some random stick and knife instead

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Raiden should probably tell them they can just bring weapons. That’s not against the rules.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I tried to watch MK21 this morning and only made it halfway through. But I'm going to guess at a few things

Cole is a descendant of Scorpion's baby from the opening scene in 1618

There's an uplifting scene that mirrors the opening fight in the MMA match, where Cole specifically does not tap out because of the power of friendship or Arcana or whatever.

I'm assuming Kano must turn traitor at some point, allowing Sonya to kill him and take his magic tattoo.

I will say that Kano was the best of what I saw, but seeing him start as a reasonable rear end in a top hat just kind of felt weird. Like, arrogant, sure. Violent, sure. But working even temporarily on the side of the good guys felt odd.

Sub Zero (I) being an absolute fucker - pretty good. Seeing as how he becomes a guy who wants to kill everyone and everything by the time MK11 rolls around, I think that works.

On the other hand, while it was neat seeing a pretty wide array of Sub-Zero's powers on display, could we get some other real characters working with Shang Tsung? He has 2 heavies (Sub & Mileena) and a mutant lizard half-man, and that lizard almost took out 3 would be contestants by himself. And it really seemed like Liu Kang and Kung Lao would both have zero chance of winning. There's being under dogs and there's being completely outclassed.

gently caress Arcana. Either you have magical super kung fu powers, or you don't.

Why is the whole movie not based around the tournament? I do kind of get it. If you kill all of the destined fighters from Earthrealm, before/outside the tournament, then when tournament comes, they automatically forfeit. Sure, but you would think the fact that at some point someone mentions "If Raiden knew you were cheating like this he would do something about it" and then Raiden learns about it and does nothing. So why are there even rules? At least in MK9 story, when Shao Kahn cheats there are repercussions.

Kind of neat to see Jimmy Olsen getting more buff to play Jax.

Fun to see all the little background easter eggs and nods to games in the series.

Sonya is a complete non-entity in the first half. Again, going back to the earlier question about the tournament and rules, if Shang Tsung was successful and managed to kill all of the chosen combatants, does that mean that even if Sonya wanted to fight she wouldn't be able to?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CzarChasm posted:

Kind of neat to see Jimmy Olsen getting more buff to play Jax.

Sonya is a complete non-entity in the first half. Again, going back to the earlier question about the tournament and rules, if Shang Tsung was successful and managed to kill all of the chosen combatants, does that mean that even if Sonya wanted to fight she wouldn't be able to?
What?! :captainpop:
The moustache and buff bod totally threw me. Wow.

Rhyno posted:

Brooks got fuckin Jax'd

As for 2, I imagine Shang is like "no warriors we win" while Raiden petitions the gods and they go "lol I like champions that don't die noob"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

What?! :captainpop:
The moustache and buff bod totally threw me. Wow.

As for 2, I imagine Shang is like "no warriors we win" while Raiden petitions the gods and they go "lol I like champions that don't die noob"

Brooks got fuckin jacked and now I want him to come back to do a final cameo on Supergirl.