Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Space Kablooey posted:

I want to believe all the landmasses are still the actual size and it looks weird because of wonky perspective

how europe ended up as the crotch of the robot while africa is the chest, i have no idea though

Oh poo poo, that's,supposed to be the whole Europe? I cam see it now,nut I thought it was just Austria at first sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's the entire Europe minus Italy, mind

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh poo poo, that's,supposed to be the whole Europe? I cam see it now,nut I thought it was just Austria at first sight

Ah, I didn’t know a Habsburg posted here

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fighting Trousers posted:

Tag yourself. I'm Crotch Europe.

I'm the Great Lakes of Nebraska/Kansas

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I'm the billions of terrified, yet quickly muffled screams as entire continents are thrust outside the earth's atmosphere.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

No Safe Word posted:

I'm the Great Lakes of Nebraska/Kansas
I'm surprisingly damp Australia.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm the billions of terrified, yet quickly muffled screams as entire continents are thrust outside the earth's atmosphere.

Oh, Europe is getting thrust alright :wink:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm Canada

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Jippa posted:

If you squint it could maybe be a map.

ISO 8601 FOR LYFE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The middle triangle's got it right. YYYYMMDD 4eva

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

The middle triangle's got it right. YYYYMMDD 4eva

I rarely see anything but yyyy-mm-dd written in europe/scandi. Maybe dd/mm without the yy sometimes informally.

Spoken its mostly ddmm ofc

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

In Germany it's almost always dd-mm-yy, like today would be the 23.04.2021. yy-mm-dd is pretty much exclusively used for the naming of computer files and folders

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

24/4 2021 00:14:05 would make perfect sense if people used it it in real life

but they dont

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
You know what's fun? Working in a computer system that tracks different things with YYYY-WW-DD or MM-DD-YYYY commonly in the same screen, but at at least in different non-adjacent columns

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

but they dont

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 24, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Come on, gotta post a legend along with that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

whoops sorry i thought i had :blush:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Repost from the worthless things on wikipedia thread, I dunno what wiki page this is from.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

Repost from the worthless things on wikipedia thread, I dunno what wiki page this is from.

Regions of contiguous high density population / high urbanization.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

I've never seen anyone use YMD in Europe outside of naming computer files :shrug:

Carbon dioxide posted:

We've learned about the blue banana and the golden banana (or european sunbelt) in school, but this is the first time I'm hearing about the green banana. Google just throws up some random reddit posts, are you sure this is not some weird alt history map ? :v:

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 24, 2021

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

We've learned about the blue banana and the golden banana (or european sunbelt) in school, but this is the first time I'm hearing about the green banana. Google just throws up some random reddit posts, are you sure this is not some weird alt history map ? :v:

quote:

The Central European megalopolis; also known as also known as Green Banana, New Banana, Young Banana, North Poland-Centrope-Adriatic, or Vistula-Danube Economic River.

Wiki gives the following cities as belonging to it: Warsaw, Kraków, Katowice, Bratislava, Praha, Brno, Budapest, Pécs, Győr, Székesfehérvár, Szombathely, Zagreb, Trieste and Ljubljana. I'm pretty sure that Prague isn't actually within the area as depicted though, and it seems strange to me to include eg Szombathely (pop. 78,000) while also excluding cities like Graz (pop. ~300,000) Vienna (pop. 1.9 million), Wroclaw (pop. 640,000) or Gdansk (pop. 470,000).

I also can't find anything beyond a single mention in wiki and the reddit posts you mentioned, weird

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah I also don't see anything else when I tineye it. The green one is the stupidest possible "megalopolis" on the entire Wiki entry. It's a huge area without any ethnic or linguistic continuity, and it's not even all that densely populated.

The blue banana is also pretty dumb. Following the Rhine would make sense, but extending it to include all of the central Alps and to include all of northern Italy doesn't make any sense. The area between the Zurich–Innsbruck–Milan triangle is pretty sparsely populated and the central Alps would not fall under any sense of the concept "megalopolis". Same with highlighting the thinly-populated Ardennes and Black Forest regions. Their big, long, thick, blue banana should be a lot thinner and shorter...

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The blue banana is just the kingdom of lotharingia and then some. The Milan-Ardennes axis was actually an important route for the Spanish to connect their Italian and Lowlands holdings later on

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Road

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Carthag Tuek posted:

but they dont

lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

the Qing conquest of Canada

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Chikimiki posted:

I've never seen anyone use YMD in Europe outside of naming computer files :shrug:

It's pretty common in Sweden. I would say it's the standard, I mean look at the corner of my computer screen, but you hear people say it the other way around all the time

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 24, 2021

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

This color scheme is violence.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

please find some quotes of people using that format

i have a bet riding on it so i need it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Canada is fully "there is no exact standard so you have to guess if it's a date that's before the 13th of any given month"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i had an insurance co in Canada ask me for the date in MMMDDYYYY. that's right, a three-digit month.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of industry uses WWDYY. All human beings use DD.(MM.[YYYY])

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A lot of industry uses WWDYY. All human beings use DD.(MM.[YYYY])

YYYYWWDDD ftw. True joy is when the weekly year mismatches with the monthly year during the 53rd or 1st week and the aggregates make the C suite confused (again) :saddowns:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Threadkiller Dog posted:

YYYYWWDDD ftw. True joy is when the weekly year mismatches with the monthly year during the 53rd or 1st week and the aggregates make the C suite confused (again) :saddowns:

Excel taught me that it's not the same week everywhere in the world, which was quite interesting.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
2021 is one of those years when the week numbering systems match up though. I expect a lot of unknowingly confusing excel sheets to be created this fortunate year!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think the two systems are:

-First week is the week containing January 1st
-First week is the week containing the first Thursday of the year.

Second one is superior. But in either case, you get either some week 1 I'm the end of December or (second option) some week 52 (possibly 53?) In the beginning of January.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Haha no.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I assume the Finnish system just started counting will from 1917 and never reset back to one

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Muscle Tracer posted:

i had an insurance co in Canada ask me for the date in MMMDDYYYY. that's right, a three-digit month.
It's a 3 letter month, to get around our lack of standard of which comes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

This gets you a lot more money than saying "trade networks through the major river valleys of central Europe connect population centers on the North Sea and Mediterranean coasts"