Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Probably because the opponents aren't unique. There's plenty of like, "I spawned next to a devouring swarm so I rallied my other neighbor into a federation so we could fight it off together" etc. Like the only big difference is that every devouring swarm isn't named Jeff or something. There's no easy shorthand for "Militarist Xenophobic Criminal Syndicate Penguins"

prior to stellaris coming out i always assumed that if Paradox made a space game they would create a fictional universe to set it in and the player would then pick pre-defined factions in it. basically like all of their other games, except that they'd be totally unconstrained by historical realism and could set-up whatever political landscape worked best for gameplay/fun. there's a CK2 mod that is basically this called Crisis of the Confederation, and it's great(other than being buggy and unfinished).

I was surprised when they ended up making Stellaris as basically a stock 4X and I still don't really think it was a good approach, largely for this reason. The real-time nature of Paradox games makes multiplayer perpetually janky so a lot of people will spend the vast majority of their time playing against AI. This works fine in the other games because you have all of these unique, predefined countries, but in Stellaris your starting situation is always the same, and your neighbours are all mostly interchangeable randomized blobs with no particular backstory or lore to them. It lacks the immersive element that carries single-player in their other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is it just me or is admin capacity a much bigger deal than it used to be? I used to more or less ignore it until the mid game but this patch seems like I need way more bureaucrats and the penalties ramp up much faster than they used to.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I'm a Machine Gestalt Determined Exterminator, I get that there is no diplomacy, and I like that, but I can't do Espionage nor can I see the relative power of other empires? I have envoys and I had my two envoys go start spy networks but I can't actually /do/ anything with them if I'm playing this type of species? I'll just never know my opponent's relative strengths?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I'm a Machine Gestalt Determined Exterminator, I get that there is no diplomacy, and I like that, but I can't do Espionage nor can I see the relative power of other empires? I have envoys and I had my two envoys go start spy networks but I can't actually /do/ anything with them if I'm playing this type of species? I'll just never know my opponent's relative strengths?

You totally can. Get a codebreaking advantage via tech and/or get assets. Several civics and techs also give you extra envoys.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Various things also give you bonus base intel. You don't need to actually do any operations to see their power levels either, just having a certain intel level is enough - it'll tick up from having an envoy and assets. Long term you might want to invest in a Sentry Array though.

I didn't know that not all Necroids can purge! It very much changes your options when you can just turn an entire planet into your primary species.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jabarto posted:

Is it just me or is admin capacity a much bigger deal than it used to be? I used to more or less ignore it until the mid game but this patch seems like I need way more bureaucrats and the penalties ramp up much faster than they used to.
I was noticing this too. I took over a bunch of planets during a crisis war, and the AI had build a LOT more admin buildings to the point of putting me in the negative for rare resources. The rest of my economy launched into overdrive, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

scaterry posted:

The thread title was funny, but it’s an invitation for people to be toxic in-thread. Couldn’t we have one of the Dick titles instead?

You’re probably thinking of the central spire deposit that gives 8 researcher jobs on the rubicator world. relic worlds don’t have a research district, only ringworld and research habitats do.
Stellaris 3.0: we are the real dicks

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

scaterry posted:

The thread title was funny, but it’s an invitation for people to be toxic in-thread. Couldn’t we have one of the Dick titles instead?

I actually like it for this reason, it makes it much easier to ignore all the griping (and probably less likely for it to discourage newcomers like people were complaining about earlier).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Splicer posted:

Stellaris 3.0: We are the Real Dicks

There we go.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jabarto posted:

They nerfed the upgraded admin office to 4 jobs instead of 5. I think that's the only direct change to admin cap though. Less pops means less sprawl though, and personally the one game I've played with Dick so far it seemed like I actually needed less bureaucrat planets than before. I think the penalties weren't changed either.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Stellaris 3.0: Doomscrolling Dick Thread

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Going over your admin cap is much more punishing now, especially if you're a megacorp/machine intelligence. Hiveminds get a reduced penalty so you can ignore it for a bit but staying under the cap overall is strongly recommended.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Shumagorath posted:

For what it's worth, I really enjoy your game and especially the improvements you've made with the last two DLCs. When Nemesis dropped I probably spent an hour just making new races. Much like the Cyberpunk thread, the people having the most fun are playing rather than posting.

I've been making races based on my pets :3

Although when I meet them as a Purger :cry:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

Stellaris turned me into a monster.

I've been deliberately targeting inhabitated systems with my Star-Eaters first, for that extra bit of war crimes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Still in this terravore game, and *love* the "ANGRY METEORITES TOUCHING DOWN" line.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Doesn't necropurging remove that?

Nah culture shock is attached to the planet not the pops. This does mean migrating them to your homeworld effectively removes it and you can just have a couple repopulating the planet while it wears off.

Or just ignore it for however long it lasts and enjoy all the free pops you have when it wears off.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Yami Fenrir posted:

You totally can. Get a codebreaking advantage via tech and/or get assets. Several civics and techs also give you extra envoys.

Darkrenown posted:

Various things also give you bonus base intel. You don't need to actually do any operations to see their power levels either, just having a certain intel level is enough - it'll tick up from having an envoy and assets. Long term you might want to invest in a Sentry Array though.

I didn't know that not all Necroids can purge! It very much changes your options when you can just turn an entire planet into your primary species.

That's what confuses me. I'm basically at endgame tech and I know I'm lightyears ahead of the other species, but every single species is "unavailable" and I've had envoys sitting in two of them for over 100 years at this point. Intel is 0 on everybody. Maybe something broke again, who knows?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

LordMune posted:

Not sure what else I, as a developer, can say about the state of AI if "we're aware and working on it, but there will always be competing priorities/resources" is insufficient. This isn't all on you so don't take it the wrong way pmchem, but I had forgotten how exhausting this can be.

I'm feeling increasingly stupid for posting in a thread with a title that is a joke about how even devoted fans absolutely loathe something I've poured years of my life into, so I'll be stepping away from the thread for a while.

The thread culture has sucked insane rear end for a long time here. Sorry Mune. It’s why a lot of us don’t post much.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

The thread culture has sucked insane rear end for a long time here. Sorry Mune. It’s why a lot of us don’t post much.

Yep. The worst posters just drive everything down further.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

That's what confuses me. I'm basically at endgame tech and I know I'm lightyears ahead of the other species, but every single species is "unavailable" and I've had envoys sitting in two of them for over 100 years at this point. Intel is 0 on everybody. Maybe something broke again, who knows?

Are you sure that you have an envoy actually building a spy network?

Because I can only think of a few options:

a) a bug (possibly modcaused)
b) misunderstanding what you need to do to get infiltration (you need to "build a spy network, then wait some time as infiltration build up. The higher your infiltration, the higher your intel will tick up). Improving relations will not count, an envoy needs to specifically be currently present to do stuff.
c) not actually owning Nemesis (I pre-ordered it so I don't know if you can see the spy system without it somehow?)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

And Tyler Too! posted:

Going over your admin cap is much more punishing now, especially if you're a megacorp/machine intelligence. Hiveminds get a reduced penalty so you can ignore it for a bit but staying under the cap overall is strongly recommended.

Did they change something? I didn't find anything in the patch notes.

Also you absolutely shouldn't stay under the cap early on. In fact you should disable the starting admin office before unpausing. It's only at about 300 sprawl (unless they did change the penalties) with a regular empire you should get bureaucrats (though you should get enough to get your cap above sprawl immediately). It's a pretty badly (and frankly bizarrely) designed system tbh.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Staltran posted:

Also you absolutely shouldn't stay under the cap early on. In fact you should disable the starting admin office before unpausing. It's only at about 300 sprawl (unless they did change the penalties) with a regular empire you should get bureaucrats (though you should get enough to get your cap above sprawl immediately). It's a pretty badly (and frankly bizarrely) designed system tbh.

Going over sprawl in the early game is good.

Going over in the late game...less good.

This is because for whatever reason sprawl penalties are point based rater than % based.

Meaning lets say your max capacity is 50.

You get to 100, 50 over your cap. Your penalty to tech is .4 per point - so 20%.

Thing is - you DOUBLED your empire - so 20% penalty is just fine.

Now say your capacity is 300 - and you are at 350...

That same 20% penalty applies but your empire is only ~16% bigger.

So at that point you are certainly not able to justify the sprawl.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Darkrenown posted:

Congrats; you found the only thing worse than making XCOM soldiers of your friends.

FileNotFound posted:

Going over sprawl in the early game is good.

Going over in the late game...less good.

This is because for whatever reason sprawl penalties are point based rater than % based.

Meaning lets say your max capacity is 50.

You get to 100, 50 over your cap. Your penalty to tech is .4 per point - so 20%.

Thing is - you DOUBLED your empire - so 20% penalty is just fine.

Now say your capacity is 300 - and you are at 350...

That same 20% penalty applies but your empire is only ~16% bigger.

So at that point you are certainly not able to justify the sprawl.
Oof, I was at double sprawl until I hit repeatables. Gotta fix that next time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Staltran posted:

It was a couple of updates ago because for the longest time you could just brute force sprawl and Paradox wanted admin cap to mean something so they made going over more unforgiving. For the most part you can go a bit over and not care, but ignore it for long enough and your tech begins to suffer.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Theswarms posted:

Nah culture shock is attached to the planet not the pops. This does mean migrating them to your homeworld effectively removes it and you can just have a couple repopulating the planet while it wears off.

Or just ignore it for however long it lasts and enjoy all the free pops you have when it wears off.

Oh right, it used to be on pops but it changed. But yeah, bodysnatch most of them to your homeworld then. Of course, it's more difficult for some ethos setups I guess.

Shumagorath posted:

Congrats; you found the only thing worse than making XCOM soldiers of your friends.

Oh I do that too!

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
If the thread needs lighter discourse...here...have a snapshot of a lightshow:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Oof, I was at double sprawl until I hit repeatables. Gotta fix that next time.

Each administrative office will give you 20 cap for 2 pop working - so if you are over cap you can consider each admin office as a 8% research boost which is better than making your pop work research assuming no bonuses as soon as you crest the 100 research/m threshold.

Under 100 research/m you are better off making pop work research than sprawl assuming no bonuses. (If you're tech rushing and are stacking bonuses that threshold is likely closer to 150 research)

My personal stance has been to expand as much as I can and ignore sprawl in the early game but deal with sprawl extremely aggressively as soon as I'm over 500 research as any sprawl as at that point admin buildings become more effective in boosting research than another lab.

Since the penalties are % and the sprawl is point based, the larger you are the worse effect being over cap is. Impact of sprawl penalties is thus more drastic in terms of 'lost' production due to penalties on a larger empire than a small one.

In a way it makes sense - but it does kinda feel odd where being at sprawl that is 'double' of your capacity can be acceptable in the early game but being just 10% over capacity in the late game can be a major impact and must be addressed quickly.

Edit: Worth mentioning is that the effect on traditions is far worse with .6% penalty per point over cap - so if you are trying to rush some traditions in the early game, sprawl can be really bad.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 24, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Driving away goon devs from the pdx game threads is a tradition, one I'd rather do without.

Yeah, people posted a ton of great Dick titles for the Dick update but instead we get this cringe bullshit. Thanks for chasing away a really cool dev, goons, keep up the great work

I like this game and I suspect most of the posters here do too. It's very good, I'd say it's been a great game since the 2.0 update. I think it's the best Space 4X on the market right now, but I just really don't gel with the Endless series for some reason (except Dungeon of the Endless, which owns). Stellaris right now is better than it has ever been no matter what a few grognards say.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Stellaris right now is better than it has ever been no matter what a few grognards say.

I actually don't think I saw anyone say that this isn't the case.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, people posted a ton of great Dick titles for the Dick update but instead we get this cringe bullshit. Thanks for chasing away a really cool dev, goons, keep up the great work

I like this game and I suspect most of the posters here do too. It's very good, I'd say it's been a great game since the 2.0 update. I think it's the best Space 4X on the market right now, but I just really don't gel with the Endless series for some reason (except Dungeon of the Endless, which owns). Stellaris right now is better than it has ever been no matter what a few grognards say.

Endless has great personality and fun to play but it's AI isn't anything impressive either - AI in 4x games is just hard to do well and I don't really fault Paradox for not having it perfect.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Okay, a fanatic materialist, militarist necrophage empire is pretty powerful with the crisis ascension perk. Being able to necropurge the places you conquer via the very first level of menace is just super powerful in this build. Add being an already overpowered technocracy and I really feel like I am the crisis.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Speaking of the Endless series, given the choice between "Well-defined factions" and "Build Your Own" I think I really prefer the latter. Customizing your starting race/faction is part of what made MOO great and it's part of what makes Stellaris great, too. I felt the same expectations that probably everyone else did, "Stellaris will be EU4 in Space", but I'm actually really glad that they went a different way.

I especially like all of the little flavorful details, like how the game looks at your starting civics and goes "you're clearly going for a UAC vibe, your government type shall be Sacrificial Megachurch".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wilderthanmild posted:

Okay, a fanatic materialist, militarist necrophage empire is pretty powerful with the crisis ascension perk. Being able to necropurge the places you conquer via the very first level of menace is just super powerful in this build. Add being an already overpowered technocracy and I really feel like I am the crisis.
Ooh, gonna build one of those to complement my necrophage megacorp insurance company.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

Speaking of the Endless series, given the choice between "Well-defined factions" and "Build Your Own" I think I really prefer the latter. Customizing your starting race/faction is part of what made MOO great and it's part of what makes Stellaris great, too. I felt the same expectations that probably everyone else did, "Stellaris will be EU4 in Space", but I'm actually really glad that they went a different way.

I especially like all of the little flavorful details, like how the game looks at your starting civics and goes "you're clearly going for a UAC vibe, your government type shall be Sacrificial Megachurch".

MOO doesn't have custom factions though? Did you mean MOO2?

Personally I prefer having well-defined factions because it lets them be much more asymmetrical. Stellaris empires are pretty samey aside within the regular empire/hive mind/machine intelligence categories. Aside from purifiers, I suppose, and lithoids and necroids add some spice. This goes triple for AI civs, the only reason to care at all about AI ethics is the opinion modifiers. But once you remember "these guys like us, those guys don't" you probably forget what their ethics were. And stuff like origins, civics, and species traits is probably something you don't even bother glancing at, aside from checking if they have a planet preference you want to grab via migration treaty or conquest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Custom factions are a big part of why I enjoy Stellaris. Putting civics and government types and origins together and thinking through "okay what does this mean for them and who they are and why" is a solid 30% of my enjoyment of the game. It helps motivate me to play differently. Or just to see my interactions through a different lens! It's all good.

Every now and then you hit on a really strong concept that you keep coming back to through every major overhaul of the game and so on.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Someone several pages back made a list of nice mods which included "EUTAB - Ethos Unique Techs and Buildings" - just wanted to warn anyone using it that it is not updated for 3.0. Although it works without throwing errors it'll overwrite your tech files with old ones and the starbase building file is entirely broken.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

MOO doesn't have custom factions though? Did you mean MOO2?

Personally I prefer having well-defined factions because it lets them be much more asymmetrical. Stellaris empires are pretty samey aside within the regular empire/hive mind/machine intelligence categories. Aside from purifiers, I suppose, and lithoids and necroids add some spice. This goes triple for AI civs, the only reason to care at all about AI ethics is the opinion modifiers. But once you remember "these guys like us, those guys don't" you probably forget what their ethics were. And stuff like origins, civics, and species traits is probably something you don't even bother glancing at, aside from checking if they have a planet preference you want to grab via migration treaty or conquest.

Imho, both types of games have their good and bad things. One of the drawbacks of only having pre-defined factions is that you're at the mercy of the devs about what is cool and what is not. There are a lot of space 4x I could never get into despite being technically very good because none of the pre-made factions appealed to my sense of aesthetics.

The strength of games like Stellaris is that if you don't like what the devs came up with you can just make your own little space empires. I think it's even years that I saw one of the dev-made empires in Stellaris, because I've made nearly a hundred of my own empires by now, all with their own separate backstories, and just switch spawning on/off depending on which pool of empires I want to see show up in a particular game.

If you feel the empires in a game with no custom empire options suck rear end, well gently caress you I guess. Have fun playing other games. I feel even from a purely capitalist perspective, adding at least some basic customization options (portraits, back ground story, traits) to your space 4x will lead to greater success then if you just don't allow that kind of thing. Just simply because you catch the few players who didn't like the empires you, the dev, came up with.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I apologize to LordMune if I was the straw that broke the camel's back.

He did like my bug reports, in fact he even said "I love you" in response to them. So I just made several more from a new fast_forward test. Default settings, no mods, etc.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-5-many.1469555/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-6-many.1469556/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-7-many.1469557/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-8-many.1469558/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-9-many.1469559/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-10-many.1469560/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-11-many.1469561/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-3-0-2-91c1-ai-doing-bad-economic-things-12-many.1469562/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I went through your examples one-by-one, and I have some thoughts to add:

1. Some of the planets you took as example looked like something I would have done. I think things would look clearer if you had left those out, as the devs surely don't want to create AI that is reliably better than your average player

2. Some of the "economic collapse" scenarios can be explained by the obligatory AI-bonuses missing when you take them over via "play x"-command. Especially example 10 looks like a perfectly healthy empire to me. Add in the missing AI-bonuses and it would have tremendous surplus in everything! Edit: Wait, 11 looks even better, what the hell were you smoking? :psyduck:

3. With 12 I'm sure you're just trolling. Surely you don't think a planet with 8 jobs open should add even more on top by filling the empty building slots? :psyduck:

So yeah, while some of the not mentioned examples look funky, I don't think there's any "bug" going on and the AI-behavior isn't too bad. My conclusion is that there maybe something weird with the fast forward function going on, but the end results are astonishingly playable. I think if I were a dev looking through those bug reports, I'd probably delete most of them since they suck, like really suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FileNotFound posted:

I actually don't think I saw anyone say that this isn't the case.
Yeah, even (most of) the people complaining about the pop growth penalty are saying it's too high rather than hating it as a concept.

I like being able to customise but I think some of it is a bit nickel and dimey. I think I'd like fewer but more dramatic options with more externally visible effects. Outside of the obvious (devouring swarm etc) most empires behave pretty much the same and there's no real difference to interacting with them.

Also my biggest feature request is still a "save randomly generated antagonist" button.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 24, 2021