Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve been getting phantom-touches on my 2014 3.

It’s looks like I can get an unknown used entire screen for about $200, or I can just buy a digitizer like this for $70

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184684953271

I have experience removing the whole screen from doing the carplay upgrade, but I don’t know how difficult it is to take apart. Any advice?

Edit: forget it, I’m upgrading to the blacked out ‘17 screen. https://www.mazda3revolution.com/threads/2017-display-on-a-2016.228194/#lg=thread-228194&slide=2

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been getting phantom-touches on my 2014 3.

It’s looks like I can get an unknown used entire screen for about $200, or I can just buy a digitizer like this for $70
Mazda extended the warranty for the screen to 7 years for this issue. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166895-0001.pdf

Even if you are slightly beyond the warranty, I would give Mazda corporate a call and they are likely to cover it anyway.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Huh. I’ll call a dealership on Monday. Thanks for hopefully saving me some cash.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

TheGoatTrick posted:

Mazda extended the warranty for the screen to 7 years for this issue. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166895-0001.pdf

Even if you are slightly beyond the warranty, I would give Mazda corporate a call and they are likely to cover it anyway.

This. Mazda Canada covered mine and I’m not the original owner. I was impressed.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Are there any carpeted floor mats designed to fit the floor mat pegs in the front foot wells for a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback? I know the all weather mats exist, but I'm not really interested in the aesthetic those create. I've managed to wear a hole in the floor upholstery around where my right heel touches the ground, and I figure it'd be best to cover it up before it gets bigger.

Also, my rear view camera sometimes displays all scrambled up on the display - the best way I can describe it is like when an old CRT TV's vertical hold gets unstable or offset. When this happens, it always starts as soon as I turn the car on, and persists until the car is fully powered off. The problem never spontaneously starts or stops while the car is powered up. This is only a sometimes thing, maybe 10% of the time I start the car. The rest of the time the rear view camera works perfectly fine. It seems to happen more often when the weather is cold and/or wet. Is this any kind of known issue?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Re mats the dealer ones are okay, didn't cause any noticeable wear on mine in the time I had the car.

Re camera - that happened to mine too, eventually it'll happen all the time. Dealer fixed it under warranty but they said all they did was clean the contacts in the tailgate wiring.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Also happened to my camera, I don't remember if it was fixed under warranty or if a software update fixed it but might be worth getting the software updated at the dealership

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
When my camera did that, I popped the plastic panel off the inside of the hatch and put some dielectric grease on the camera wiring contacts. Hasn't done it again since.

If the dealership will help, sure, but it wasn't very hard.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I could use a little advice. The power driver's seat on my '12 Speed3 has poo poo the bed: the height adjuster linkages snapped at two points from being under-engineered for the weight of a 230-lb canuck flopping down into the seat three times a day for nearly a decade. So now the seat is barely attached to the seat base.

E: I pulled the seat out and it isn't as bad as I thought. The lift linkage in front has been busted for a year, so that's been lovely, but it turns out that what prompted this was, one of the arms that runs from the motor to the rear linkage is held in place by a sort of lock washer/bushing, which slipped off its shaft, allowing the arm to detach. That part's easily fixed. So with the seat out, and a rentacar, I can finally take the seat to some body shops or welders and see if anything can be done.

ee: My mechanic found a MS3 power seat, with heater, in good condition - but it's older and apparently doesn't have a seat track position sensor, which is making my airbag warning light go off. So they're going to try and weld up my old seat.

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 21, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have any of you had 70.00.367A be kinda buggy? It seems to like to not accept the OK button on initial startup, or goes to a black screen, which is then fixed if you press the radio button or the backup camera comes on

e: few days later and after installing the new usb hub it seems to be normal again :shrug:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 18, 2021

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I finally got my 2014 into the dealership for the ghost touch, but it was actually behaving normally for once.

Luckily the guy just started the car and said “huh, the safety warning screen clicked OK by itself. We’ll swap it out under warranty.”

Thanks mazdatweaks.com for that accidental save :laugh:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah that was frustrating. It was hard to demonstrate the problem to the dealership because the problem was intermittent.

I had to send a video of the screen misbehaving to Mazda corporate to get the dealership to perform the repair.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Booked an evaluation with Shift for my 2014 Mazda3 this Sunday. Their electronic offer was $15.5 and that is just too much to pass up I think. It's likely this is a farewell to Mazda for me for now!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wait, what? What are the details on your 3?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, what? What are the details on your 3?

Ya it's bonkers, Greeb posted about a crazy offer on their 18 GSW (I think $19.4) which made me follow up for my own car.

I have a 14 sGT with technology package, 48k miles with one accident. I bought it Dec 17 with 31k miles. It is in pretty great condition besides some very minor paint scratches, outside the accident. I texted my buddy that works there and he said it's usually pretty on the money. I just spent the weekend and yesterday putting the stock suspension and rear wiper back on. (Which was a bit of a comedy of errors itself heh)

e: I probably wouldn't even have thought about selling if I had held out and found a stick for my car but alas. I am probably going to look at finding a very clean manual e91, though a cheap NB might be in the cards as well while I try to find the exact e91 I want and to have for the weekend and maybe autox or some such so might not leave mazda entirely.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 21, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, that is insane. I bought a really clean 2014 i Touring with the tech package and 100k miles a few weeks ago for $8k, but it looks like Shift isn't buying from where I live otherwise I'd get a quote. Can't really say no if some dumb company is going to toss paper.

I see Carvana offered me $9k but a grand isn't worth the effort.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ya it's insane, Carvana offer was $11.4 lol. Shift just recently IPO'd so idk maybe that cash is burning a hole in their pocket :shrug:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Tried putting in my 08 MS3 GT and womp womp

https://support.shift.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002476632-Why-would-my-car-not-qualify-for-Shift-s-platform-

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Huh. Push-button for my door locks has stopped working over the last few days, along with needing the key to be within a couple feet of the door and pointed at it to unlock... but only the first time before I start it in the morning, after that it's fine for the rest of the day even when I let it sit for 9 hours at work.

Good thing I already have a service appointment tomorrow.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SkyeAuroline posted:

Huh. Push-button for my door locks has stopped working over the last few days, along with needing the key to be within a couple feet of the door and pointed at it to unlock... but only the first time before I start it in the morning, after that it's fine for the rest of the day even when I let it sit for 9 hours at work.

Have you checked the fob battery?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

eddiewalker posted:

Have you checked the fob battery?

Not yet, no means to do so at home. Weird bit is that the push button won't work on the door, just the fob within a few feet... but after that first start (and not until after it starts) I've been able to lock/unlock it across a parking lot with the fob after it's been sitting for a full work day and the door buttons respond fine. Not even sure it's an issue with the fob itself?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pushing the door buttons starts a two-way conversation between the car and the fob, so it seems like a reasonable first thing to check.

Should be a common CR2025 cell, I think. Probably cheaper anywhere other than the dealership.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

OTOH I went to get a new battery for my second fob in anticipation of sale because it was exhibiting the typical dying battery signs described and the dealer didn't even charge me, so that was cool.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I put in my 09 and got a quote of ~$6500. MS3s have sold on Cars and Bids for ~$8,xxx so if you can handle the people in teh comments trying to tank your sale you could possibly get more money selling it to the kind of people that admire Doug Demuro.

That being said, I did not mention the aftermarket engine mounts so maybe that would cause them to not give an offer.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MetaJew posted:

I put in my 09 and got a quote of ~$6500. MS3s have sold on Cars and Bids for ~$8,xxx so if you can handle the people in teh comments trying to tank your sale you could possibly get more money selling it to the kind of people that admire Doug Demuro.

That being said, I did not mention the aftermarket engine mounts so maybe that would cause them to not give an offer.

100% no dice on something like that in my experience so far, but everything I've gathered is there is zero way they would know about any mechanical modification without you telling them or it being super obvious like a straight pipe.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
On the latest generation 3 is there a tiedown/towing eyelet in the front to attach a front plate to? Any other good method to avoid using screws on the front grill?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

TheBacon posted:

100% no dice on something like that in my experience so far, but everything I've gathered is there is zero way they would know about any mechanical modification without you telling them or it being super obvious like a straight pipe.

I mean, if you get in the car and start it, you'll hear some very loud vibes from PMM and trans motor mounts, but yeah if they don't really do an actual inspection before paying me-- not my problem anymore.

Salt Fish posted:

On the latest generation 3 is there a tiedown/towing eyelet in the front to attach a front plate to? Any other good method to avoid using screws on the front grill?

Sure seems like you can
https://www.cravenspeed.com/front-license-plate-mount-for-2014-2020-mazda-3/

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 24, 2021

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I let the dealership talk me into letting them do a fuel injector cleaning procedure on my 2015 Skyactiv because it sounded like they do more than just dump a can of solvent into the motor. Anyway maybe I got ripped off but it does seem to run a little smoother and have a bit more response now though maybe that's placebo.

I'm paranoid about direct injection getting all gummed up with carbon and I figured it wouldn't hurt. :shobon:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I tried to find the original post where I asked about this issue but I can't find it so maybe I never did.

Ever since I bought my '16 3 about 18 months ago it's had a thing where if it's cold when you start it, the infotainment system will reset itself a couple times before settling down. This doesn't affect radio but affects music playback from USB, and obviously restarts the whole thing so annoying if you want to use the nav.

I appear to have randomly fixed this issue by... buying an updated set of maps for the nav? I dunno if this just has newer software on it by default or something, but the issue has just gone. Posting here for posterity in case someone has the same issue.

For the record I paid £35 for a third party update, I didn't spend however much Mazda wanted. Updating was as easy as popping out the old SD card and putting a new one in.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

My wife's '17 3 does this like once a year so I just replace the fob batteries once a year and it goes away.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AirRaid posted:

I appear to have randomly fixed this issue by... buying an updated set of maps for the nav? I dunno if this just has newer software on it by default or something, but the issue has just gone. Posting here for posterity in case someone has the same issue.

For the record I paid £35 for a third party update, I didn't spend however much Mazda wanted. Updating was as easy as popping out the old SD card and putting a new one in.

This can happen when the SD card gets corrupted. I think you could also have fixed it by backing up the old SD card then writing the backup to a new one or just removing the card entirely and living without nav.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Battery solved the lock issue, works great now.

Had my 20k service, tire rotation and oil change and all... Oil is even harder to read on this godforsaken dipstick now. There must be some secret to this I'm just not seeing. :smith:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oil is even harder to read on this godforsaken dipstick now. There must be some secret to this I'm just not seeing. :smith:

That's been my experience with drat near every modern dipstick. I don't get it, it's a solved problem, none of the older cars I've owned have been difficult to read.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

opengl128 posted:

That's been my experience with drat near every modern dipstick. I don't get it, it's a solved problem, none of the older cars I've owned have been difficult to read.

It would be easier if these were even cross-hatched, or anything at all besides a flat piece of metal with two holes. What's your approach? Short of buying a spare and engraving the cross hatching myself, which I'm at the point of considering but really don't want to risk any metal shavings or whatever sticking around if I gently caress it up (or worse).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Hold it up to the light and spin it until you can see the “bump” of the actual oil level? I can get a pretty easy read off the edge.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

Hold it up to the light and spin it until you can see the “bump” of the actual oil level? I can get a pretty easy read off the edge.

That's my general approach, but I feel like my past few cars have had dipstick tubes with too many twists and turns so the level ends up getting dragged upwards as you pull the dipstick out.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

dissss posted:

This can happen when the SD card gets corrupted. I think you could also have fixed it by backing up the old SD card then writing the backup to a new one or just removing the card entirely and living without nav.

Yeah, I had to pop the card out to fix my mom's cx-5. Updated cards are $50 on Amazon, dealer didn't even try to sell us one at the parts counter price.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MetaJew posted:

I mean, if you get in the car and start it, you'll hear some very loud vibes from PMM and trans motor mounts, but yeah if they don't really do an actual inspection before paying me-- not my problem anymore.

So like they didn’t even drive my car, only thing he remotely scrutinized was the tread depth. Otherwise only started it to grab mileage. I had one or two semi obvious dents an a chip in the windshield along with some scratches that the detail shop couldn’t get out going to do a premium detail yesterday (lmao I guess that was $500 wasted but eh).

Gave me full value of the online quote like basically no questions asked also get a bonus $200 for selling first appointment so $15.7k for a 2014 mazda3 with 1 accident. Not sure if because this dude was only there 2 months or what but...ya. Probably could have left the lowering springs and koni’s on tbh.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

TheBacon posted:

So like they didn’t even drive my car, only thing he remotely scrutinized was the tread depth. Otherwise only started it to grab mileage. I had one or two semi obvious dents an a chip in the windshield along with some scratches that the detail shop couldn’t get out going to do a premium detail yesterday (lmao I guess that was $500 wasted but eh).

Gave me full value of the online quote like basically no questions asked also get a bonus $200 for selling first appointment so $15.7k for a 2014 mazda3 with 1 accident. Not sure if because this dude was only there 2 months or what but...ya. Probably could have left the lowering springs and koni’s on tbh.

I have no idea what you could get for your car if you were patient and did a private sale, but if it was anywhere near $15.7k, and it prevents you from dealing with Craigslist tire kickers, that's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MetaJew posted:

I have no idea what you could get for your car if you were patient and did a private sale, but if it was anywhere near $15.7k, and it prevents you from dealing with Craigslist tire kickers, that's awesome!

Just looking at autotrader there are two similar spec/mileage cars both 1 owner and accident free listed at dealers for $17k. I don’t think there is much room there to have gotten too much more private sale, even leaving a potential grand on the table I’m more than happy with that number, seems the market really is just wild for used cars right now (and makes the $16.8 I paid in 2017 an even more screaming deal)

As you said not having to deal with Craigslist tire kickers is a god send, the ease of the whole process is absolutely why I went with it. Will be interesting to see what they list it for :v: