Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Hello Sailor posted:

they sold in the middle of a buying frenzy, idiot

e: and a second exchange in Turkey has collapsed. The authorities caught them before they fled the country this time

Lmao was going to post that yesterday. It seems like the first one caused people to cash in or transfer their wallets en-masse and suprise suprise the "exchanges" simply don't have the normie cash or legit (lol) to pay out people.

The teeth gnashing from the true believers "this is not the fault of crypto :qq:" is just supernova critical and more exchanges are expected to follow.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, congrats to the brother cashed out with a very tangible gain in expense of rubes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

Also, congrats to the brother cashed out with a very tangible gain in expense of rubes.

What makes them different to the other rubes?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's Canadian dollars, people. Come on.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

xtal posted:

What makes them different to the other rubes?

Not much except a fully paid house.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

As an actual tax accountant (should get my CPA in about two years :toot:), I'm really wondering how many people entities such as the CRA or the IRS will nail for forgetting that capital gain rules apply even if you don't receive cash for something.

I still chuckle now that I see that cryptocurrency checkbox on the 1040.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It's Canadian dollars, people. Come on.

The screencap shows USD, not funny money?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

More like...shitcoin,amirite? :smuggo:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

blakangel posted:

Looks like I sold a few coins at the right price. Paying off my mortgage Monday :smugdog:

You’re an idiot for touching the poop, but proud of you for getting out and profiting.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hammerite posted:

"everyone using the forums lives in the United States of America" - American forums users

my mortgage currently does not have an early repayment fee, and I'm taking advantage of that. but for the first 5 years of the mortgage (which ended earlier this year) I was on a fixed-rate deal which allowed overpayments, but specified that the maximum total overpayment in any 1-year period (sliding window) was a certain percentage of the original principal - any overpayments exceeding that limit would have resulted in an early repayment fee being payable.

I (apparently wrongly) assumed that almost everywhere else goons live had actual predatory lending laws that existed long before the US finally implemented some of the most basic reforms possible as a half measure after the 2008 global economic crisis.

E: Also the poster who was paying off their mortgage was cashing out in USD.

corgski fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 24, 2021

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
drat it, me and my bf's 3060TI + 1080 have gone from about 15-16 USD per day down to 11 USD

oh well hopefully bitcoin crashes so i can actually get a new GPU for a reasonable price and finally play cp2077

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

AEMINAL posted:

drat it, me and my bf's 3060TI + 1080 have gone from about 15-16 USD per day down to 11 USD

oh well hopefully bitcoin crashes so i can actually get a new GPU for a reasonable price and finally play cp2077
Your 1080 will play it just fine. I ran through with a 1070 average high settings and didn't dip into unplayable framerates, but when the card got room to breathe in the badlands and hit lockstep with my monitor it was noticeable.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Another "exchange" is reported to make a runner in Turkey. Current count is two confirmed, one "possible" and another one being under maintenance for two months.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s pretty interesting that despite all the arguments David gets in with coin fanatics on twitter they haven’t review bombed his book. Last year I got into an argument with a bitcoin guy and they found out where I worked and called up my boss to ask them to fire me for being a shill for the Illuminati. You’d think with these kinds of unhinged people in the space they’d see writing bad reviews as easy revenge, but I guess it’s too much effort.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

The screencap shows USD, not funny money?

Looking at the chart for the last year, the USD has been losing value pretty significantly compared to the CAD. Seems like USD is the funny money.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 24, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

corgski posted:

I (apparently wrongly) assumed that almost everywhere else goons live had actual predatory lending laws that existed long before the US finally implemented some of the most basic reforms possible as a half measure after the 2008 global economic crisis.

I don't particularly see imposing limits on early repayment as "predatory lending", could you clarify as to why you see it as such?

as to the currency - knowing nothing about this platform I don't feel I could conclude anything in particular from seeing a balance denominated in USD. USD is the global reserve currency, for all I know they denominate all customer accounts in USD, or it's much simpler to transact on that exchange in USD than other currencies, or w/e.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I didn't know turkey is/was apparently a relatively large crypto hub, wtf is going on :confused:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Hammerite posted:

I don't particularly see imposing limits on early repayment as "predatory lending", could you clarify as to why you see it as such?

Because it’s a textbook usurious practice? All early repayment does is reduce the potential profit for the lender. When even loving Texas has banned it, there’s not much to be said in its favor.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
It would never have occurred to me that anyone might have such strong views on early repayment charges.

blakangel
Mar 28, 2004
broken reflection on the surface of never

corgski posted:

I am in the US and I received the mortgage payoff calculations in the mail a couple days ago. The bank was going to charge me $35 to email or fax the payoff calculation in a shorter time frame, but I opted for the free 5 business day US mail option.

There was no prepayment penalty. My problem now is Chase won't let me send a wire transfer over $100,000 so I have to go to the branch Monday and either do the wire there or get a cashier's check.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Congrats on getting out while the getting's good!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

EorayMel posted:

I didn't know turkey is/was apparently a relatively large crypto hub, wtf is going on :confused:

lira is going to be a substitute for toilet paper

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ccs posted:

It’s pretty interesting that despite all the arguments David gets in with coin fanatics on twitter they haven’t review bombed his book. Last year I got into an argument with a bitcoin guy and they found out where I worked and called up my boss to ask them to fire me for being a shill for the Illuminati. You’d think with these kinds of unhinged people in the space they’d see writing bad reviews as easy revenge, but I guess it’s too much effort.
Did you get promoted? Having an illuminati member in the company would be pretty sweet.

EorayMel posted:

Skyrocketing authoritarianism and lots of neighbouring state, semi-state and non-state actors with shaky or deliberately bad access to banking.

corgski posted:

Because it’s a textbook usurious practice? All early repayment does is reduce the potential profit for the lender. When even loving Texas has banned it, there’s not much to be said in its favor.
In Canada it's some weird U-curve of "fine to pay up to X off the principal every year, penalty if you go over that, but you can pay the whole thing off in one shot as long as you do it after year Y". It doesn't bug me that much because you did sign into an agreement that the bank put on their balance sheet thirty years out, and in the end the penalties are still a lot less than the interest you save.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 24, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/rhinosoros/status/1385579358392291330

Actual location

*starcraft narrator* Nuclear launch detected.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

corgski posted:

Well, one thing about Texas most people don't realize/remember is that from Reconstruction into the mid-90s, the Democrats completely ran the legislature. Texas was one of the last Southern states have its dominant internal party switch from the Democrats to the Republicans. Now granted, a lot of these Texas Democrats were good ol' boy Dixiecrat types, and every viable politician from any party in the state was 1000% committed to the Texas Trinity (Bible Thumpers, Oil Men, and Gun Nuts). But if you went outside of that, there was room for some progressive policy positions. Part of that was some pretty strict banking regulations. Texas didn't allow banks to have branches until the 80s, there was a ban on any form of home equity lending until 1997, there was the previously-stated ban on any prepayment penalty, and there was a much stricter documentation requirements for loans in the first place.

That last bit really saved Texas during the financial crisis. There weren't nearly as many of the terrible subprime loans, and property values didn't drop here anywhere near as much as they dropped in the rest of the country. Hell, in cities like Austin property values didn't even dip during the crisis. There were still job losses and economic pain, but in Texas you didn't have the phenomenon of people underwater on their home mortgage.

Anyways, that's a massive derail, so back to the point...

buttcoin

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

EorayMel posted:

I'll try to be brief but it's basically a perfect storm of hyper-fast inflation, political instability and pure greed. So, Turkish moonbucks started to tank after friction between the US and Turkey over some political and strategic issues which were catalyzed by a tweet from Orangeman (and a "leaked" letter from him to Erdogan, ending with "Don't be a tough guy, don't be a fool!"). For reference, the exchange rate in Apr 2018 was 4 TRY = 1 USD, currently it's around 8.7 TRY = 1 USD.

This caused the traditional investments instantly go full on red for everyone including the stock exchange so everyone started buying dollars which simply fueled the fire. The government then imposed taxes on purchase of foreign currencies as well as rumors of confiscating people's USD/EURO holdings which made people panic even more.

Around these times, shitcoins became an alternative investment because a-) it was untaxed (tax system in Turkey is highly incompetent/corrupt that they simply don't check sudden surges of money due to inefficient bureaucracy), b-) the returns were so high that it legit protected your money against inflation rate of 20% (probably more due to living costs also skyrocketing due to USD) and c-) people simply heard other people making shitloads of money and confirmation bias kicked in.

The problem was/is that Turkey clamped down on non-bank transactions such as banning Paypal so these "exchanges" started popping up. They usually offer ponzi-like deals such as if you enrolled more people they'd give you more shitcoins. The ability to invest in fractions and idea of tax free super gains of course attracted both desperate and greedy people.

Currently there are 33 coin exchanges in Turkey that are not Binance and they are absolutely not ready for the massive spikes in gains so they are all in the poo poo due to people suddenly making 400% on Dogecoins. The news of government banning shitboins to be used in transactions also caused a massive withdrawal since people cannot buy poo poo instead of getting taxed. I want to feel sad about my fellow countryman trapped in a financial and social SAW movie but also maybe not buy 2 billion USD fake internet coins from a highschool dropout guy looks like he should be serving shisha in Blue Mosque cafes:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 24, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Galewolf posted:

I'll try to be brief but it's basically a perfect storm of hyper-fast inflation, political instability and pure greed. So, Turkish moonbucks started to tank after friction between the US and Turkey over some political and strategic issues which were catalyzed by a tweet from Orangeman (and a "leaked" letter from him to Erdogan, ending with "Don't be a tough guy, don't be a fool!"). For reference, the exchange rate in Apr 2018 was 4 TRY = 1 USD, currently it's around 8.7 TRY = 1 USD.

This caused the traditional investments instantly go full on red for everyone including the stock exchange so everyone started buying dollars which simply fueled the fire. The government then imposed taxes on purchase of foreign currencies as well as rumors of confiscating people's USD/EURO holdings which made people panic even more.

Around these times, shitcoins became an alternative investment because a-) it was untaxed (tax system in Turkey is highly incompetent/corrupt that they simply don't check sudden surges of money due to inefficient bureaucracy), b-) the returns were so high that it legit protected your money against inflation rate of 20% (probably more due to living costs also skyrocketing due to USD) and c-) people simply heard other people making shitloads of money and confirmation bias kicked in.

The problem was/is that Turkey clamped down on non-bank transactions such as banning Paypal so these "exchanges" started popping up. They usually offer ponzi-like deals such as if you enrolled more people they'd give you more shitcoins. The ability to invest in fractions and idea of tax free super gains of course attracted both desperate and greedy people.

Currently there are 33 coin exchanges in Turkey that are not Binance and they are absolutely not ready for the massive spikes in gains so they are all in the poo poo due to people suddenly making 400% on Dogecoins. The news of government banning shitboins to be used in transactions also caused a massive withdrawal since people cannot buy poo poo instead of getting taxed. I want to feel sad about my fellow countryman trapped in a financial and social SAW movie but also maybe not buy 2 billion USD fake internet coins from a highschool dropout guy looks like he should be serving shisha in Blue Mosque cafes:

Thanks for the explanations. Also that guy reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_o2Ny735Yo

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Thanks for the explanations. Also that guy reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_o2Ny735Yo

I honestly cannot tell if that's a satire or real, like at all.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, no scam is complete without sexy instagram influencers wearing provocative dresses in front of luxury cars.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

mojo1701a posted:

As an actual tax accountant (should get my CPA in about two years :toot:), I'm really wondering how many people entities such as the CRA or the IRS will nail for forgetting that capital gain rules apply even if you don't receive cash for something.

I still chuckle now that I see that cryptocurrency checkbox on the 1040.
This was a major problem in the 2017 crash. Lots of people treated their crypto gains as play money, none of it was "real" until you cashed out into USD. In the runup to 20k in December they frequently did direct swaps between poo poo coins to chase returns, not realizing this meant they had realized their gains. Then the market crashed in January and now some people unexpectedly owed the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars that they no longer had.

Canonical example: https://www.reddit.com/r/tax/comments/9tcnu8/did_i_ruin_my_life_by_trading_crypto/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ccs posted:

they tried a bit, but "verified purchaser" confused them

Galewolf posted:

I honestly cannot tell if that's a satire or real, like at all.

it's a guy who will record video bits for you for a few $. someone thought that quality of announcer was good value.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

What is great about this is that they just went close to a wind farm, but they aren’t actually buying from the utility that is generating the wind power and they are actually in a location where they are likely paying nearly twice what they could be paying to the REC just a half mile to the south.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

But they might not be able to see the turbines from there. Lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
electricty!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Well, one thing about Texas most people don't realize/remember is that from Reconstruction into the mid-90s, the Democrats completely ran the legislature. Texas was one of the last Southern states have its dominant internal party switch from the Democrats to the Republicans. Now granted, a lot of these Texas Democrats were good ol' boy Dixiecrat types, and every viable politician from any party in the state was 1000% committed to the Texas Trinity (Bible Thumpers, Oil Men, and Gun Nuts). But if you went outside of that, there was room for some progressive policy positions. Part of that was some pretty strict banking regulations. Texas didn't allow banks to have branches until the 80s, there was a ban on any form of home equity lending until 1997, there was the previously-stated ban on any prepayment penalty, and there was a much stricter documentation requirements for loans in the first place.

That last bit really saved Texas during the financial crisis. There weren't nearly as many of the terrible subprime loans, and property values didn't drop here anywhere near as much as they dropped in the rest of the country. Hell, in cities like Austin property values didn't even dip during the crisis. There were still job losses and economic pain, but in Texas you didn't have the phenomenon of people underwater on their home mortgage.

Anyways, that's a massive derail, so back to the point...

buttcoin

This totally validates some of my experience working in the mortgage industry circa 2010 - I almost never heard from Texas. Arizona, Nevada, Florida - totally underwater. Lots of problem mortages in other parts of the country, but I don't remember Texas coming up much or at all.

And to add to some of the fun financial stuff around mortgages, a good chunk of US mortgages rely on the LIBOR to set rates, which is from London, England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Gobbeldygook posted:

This was a major problem in the 2017 crash. Lots of people treated their crypto gains as play money, none of it was "real" until you cashed out into USD. In the runup to 20k in December they frequently did direct swaps between poo poo coins to chase returns, not realizing this meant they had realized their gains. Then the market crashed in January and now some people unexpectedly owed the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars that they no longer had.

Canonical example: https://www.reddit.com/r/tax/comments/9tcnu8/did_i_ruin_my_life_by_trading_crypto/

Ohhhh that's the stuff. Thanks!

Fun fact that is only tangentially related to this: I assume the IRS has a similar rule, but the Canada Revenue Agency has a rule about superficial losses. That is, if you sell a security to realize a loss, and rebuy it or a similar security within about 30 days or so, they will nail you and say, "Nope, doesn't count."

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

mojo1701a posted:

Fun fact that is only tangentially related to this: I assume the IRS has a similar rule, but the Canada Revenue Agency has a rule about superficial losses. That is, if you sell a security to realize a loss, and rebuy it or a similar security within about 30 days or so, they will nail you and say, "Nope, doesn't count."
It's called a wash sale in the US but it only applies to securities, not general property. The IRS and SEC have specified that crypto is not a security so it doesn't apply for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mojo1701a posted:

Ohhhh that's the stuff. Thanks!

You can tell tax laws are dumb as gently caress because they keep requiring bandages like this be applied