Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I watched the first 7 minutes of this Mortal Kombat movie on youtube and lol the guy’s wife literally gets fridged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Well, that was quite a Mortal Kombat. Silly, over the top, bad writing, gory scenes. 7-ish/10

I only frowned at the terrible mix of the 90's song.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I watched the first 7 minutes of this Mortal Kombat movie on youtube and lol the guy’s wife literally gets fridged?

Yes that's been thy story since 1991 or whenever the first game came out.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
has it always been canon that scorpion and sub zero I are like six hundred years old or whatever

because i gotta say, if you don't get revenge in those first two hundred years, i'm not sure what you're expecting to change in the next two hundred

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

has it always been canon that scorpion and sub zero I are like six hundred years old or whatever

because i gotta say, if you don't get revenge in those first two hundred years, i'm not sure what you're expecting to change in the next two hundred

No. Sub Zero killed Scorpion relatively shortly before the first Mortal Kombat tournament. He kills him in MK: Mythologies and ends that going to the tournament where he gets killed.

Bi-Han being a weird immortal already-kinda-noob-saibot is pretty much an invention of the movie, like.. 95% of the rest of the movie.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

ImpAtom posted:

No. Sub Zero killed Scorpion relatively shortly before the first Mortal Kombat tournament. He kills him in MK: Mythologies and ends that going to the tournament where he gets killed.

Bi-Han being a weird immortal already-kinda-noob-saibot is pretty much an invention of the movie, like.. 95% of the rest of the movie.

I feel like I remember Raiden indicating in MK (2011) that Bi-Han had fought for Earthrealm in the previous tournament during the scene where Scorpion kills him, but aren't they held every 50 years or something (outside of the MKII bullshit)? I've always been confused on the timeline for him and Scorpion, honestly.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lager posted:

aren't they held every 50 years

I thought it was every 100 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lager posted:

I feel like I remember Raiden indicating in MK (2011) that Bi-Han had fought for Earthrealm in the previous tournament during the scene where Scorpion kills him, but aren't they held every 50 years or something (outside of the MKII bullshit)? I've always been confused on the timeline for him and Scorpion, honestly.

Nah, I think maybe a Lin Kuei might have but the Subs Zeroes were born in the USA.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Did they reverse it at some point to make Sub Zero the bad guy? I always thought when I was younger he was one of the good guys so to speak. I remember being younger and even him having his own game that wasn't a fighting game at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Did they reverse it at some point to make Sub Zero the bad guy? I always thought when I was younger he was one of the good guys so to speak. I remember being younger and even him having his own game that wasn't a fighting game at all.

There are two Sub-Zeros. The first is a bad guy and the second is a good guy. MK1 was the bad guy then MK2 was the good guy and the Sub Zero in all the games going forward, while the first one became Noob Saibot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

X-O posted:

The original Sub-Zero, the one in the game you're remembering, has always been kind of a bastard. Part of the plot arc of that non-fighting game is that it's the game where he swerves towards something approaching changing his ways but not quite, and then he dies in MK1 and becomes Noob Saibot as Quan Chi's minion.

The second Sub-Zero, his brother, has always been a Cool Dude.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lager posted:

Raiden says sub zero once helped defend earth against shinnock and quan chi's netherrealm armies, but who knows when that happened

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MK1 sub zero seemed pretty proud of his fatality what with the whole head and dangling spine thing so he was always going to be at least a bit of a fucker.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The weirdness with scorpion and sub zero in the games boils down to "feudal Japan still exists in the mk universe." Which is a weird thing that I see why they avoided for the movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Important OG MK facts about Sub Zero:

1) He's a Legendary Chinese Ninja Warrior

2) He does Chinese Ninja Assassinations for money

3) He's not on Shang Tsung's side

4) He just needs to do this one last job before he retires

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Everything you need to know about Sub-Zero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVIpnoptwSQ

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Everything you need to know about Sub-Zero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVIpnoptwSQ

With a heart so cold...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The Lin Kuei were Chinese ninjas for hire. The Shirai Ryu were either formed or evolved to become a mockery of the Lin Kuei, which resulted in a feud. Quan Chi offered to eliminate the Shirai Ryu in exchange for the Lin Kuei accepting a job to retrieve a map. He also made the same offer to the Shirai Ryu (unknown to either clan), so whichever side got the job done first was getting their enemies wiped out.

Enter Sub-Zero 1 and Scorpion, who ran into each other and fought. Sub-Zero 1 kills Scorpion, does the job, and the Shirai Ryu are dead. Quan Chi takes this opportunity to kill Scorpion's family and build his rage and anguish to turn him into a spectre that serves him.

Sub-Zero 1 continues to do jobs for Quan Chi, fighting gods and obtaining Shinnok's amulet, which is a bad thing, so Raiden shows up and is like "Hey, you loving idiot. Fix this right now." So Sub-Zero turns on Quan Chi and fights a newly-returned Shinnok and he and Raiden seal him away again.

Shang Tsung invites the Lin Kuei to take part in the tournament, hiring them to take out Earthrealm warriors. With Sub-Zero 1 being part of things, Quan Chi sends in Scorpion to kill him, which he does, fueling his rage with the lie that Sub-Zero 1 killed Scorpion's family. Sub-Zero 1's soul is then twisted and turned into Noob Saibot, who would end up serving in a similar way to Scorpion.

Enter Sub-Zero 2 (and Smoke) who try to investigate what the gently caress happened to Sub-Zero 1, and also might be trying to defect from the Lin Kuei because things are getting really hosed up over there. Scorpion is like "Woah what the gently caress? I killed you!" and Sub-Zero 2 is like "Oh, I guess you killed my brother. rear end in a top hat." and Scorpion is like "Aww poo poo. Well I still loving hate your clan and your brother did kill me and I'm told he killed my wife and kid too. But let's make a deal and I won't gently caress with you, out of respect." and Quan Chi is like "Wait! HE killed your wife and child!" and Scorpion's like "Oh you are so loving dead."

In the alternate timeline from MK9 on, Sub-Zero 2 is turned into a cyborg instead of Smoke. They both get killed by Sindel and they're turned into zombie revenants that serve Quan Chi/Shinnok. Quan Chi gets beat down and his power is undone on some of the revenants, including both Scorpion and Sub-Zero 2. Both human again, they take a look at things and how hosed up it all is and they're like "Let's both start new clans, but this time they'll be friends!" Then they work together to do things like take out Quan Chi and the off-shoot of the old Lin Kuei that is Oops! All Robots.

It's my understanding that the new movie doesn't offer any room for any of this to be part of the story, which is kind of odd.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean the movie doesn't offer any room for the Mortal Kombat Tournament to be part of the story either so it's not that odd.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Buddy cop sub zero and scorpion are the best

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

I mean the movie doesn't offer any room for the Mortal Kombat Tournament to be part of the story either so it's not that odd.

Well, I mean looking at things for a sequel/franchise, it seems weird to ignore what would be pretty significant, depending on how close to the source material you intend on being.

But I suppose you could just go your own way with it. Like they did with MK Annihilation. That worked out pretty good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're going to have to cut like 3/4 of the cast to make MK movies and since Shang Tsung is sticking around you don't really need Quan Chi.

I did laugh at your clearly satirical implication that following the game stories would make for good movies though. That's a good one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm always surprised to find out the deep lore of fighting games.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

The last three Mortal Kombat games made the choice to go all in and double down on story, lore, and, for some reason, time travel, and to be honest it’s been pretty great.

To be honest the cutscenes for the game MK11 seem to be a better and more internally consistent movie than Mortal Kombat 2021.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

twistedmentat posted:

I think this is follows naturally from having a large cast of characters that all need to be highly individual and interesting. Either you completely ignore the need for backstory or you begin to develop a sprawling narrative to give all of them a lively history.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean rewriting time is a crutch and all, but this is a good-rear end trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

twistedmentat posted:

I was a teen who loved King of Fighters so I was amused when I found out there is this big lore that sort of connected with other fighting games. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Raiden says sub zero once helped defend earth against shinnock and quan chi's netherrealm armies, but who knows when that happened

That was Mythologies. It happens shortly before MK. It's IIRC where the who Shinnock/Quan Chi thing is first introduced.

One of the fun things about MK is that ALL of its lovely spinoffs except maybe Shaolin Monks are canon but even then Shaolin Monks is semi-canon because it is where we found out Noob Saibot is Subzero1

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 26, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Does Street Fighter also have an insane story too? And why is that it's only on #5 when #2 came out when I was like 7 years old? Mortal Kombat seems to be churning out faster if it's on #11 and has had a bunch of side games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Having gone through all the mk 9-11 movies a couple months ago i almost want to say that given mk 9 was a little over 2 hours long that it might be possible to actually do an interesting movie, but it would require the studio and writers/directors just accepting that the audience has at least a passing familiarity with the game's characters and premise and not waste time going over all the basic info. Like, realistically how much of the audience for a 25yo fighting game movie is really going to be going in fresh.

But at the same time i think anyone who went in expecting a movie version of mk 9 was setting their standards way too high so i dunno

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mortal Kombat games are numbered more or less sequentially while Street Fighter games use an insane nightmare numbering scheme devised by Lovecraft.

Like, I checked Wikipedia and I still couldn’t tell you if Street Fighter Alpha 3 Gold was a sequel to Street Fighter III or Street Fighter Alpha.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Mortal Kombat games are numbered more or less sequentially while Street Fighter games use an insane nightmare numbering scheme devised by Lovecraft.

Like, I checked Wikipedia and I still couldn’t tell you if Street Fighter Alpha 3 Gold was a sequel to Street Fighter III or Street Fighter Alpha.

but it says Alpha right there in the name

the Alpha games are prequels to the main games and are numbered sequentially it's the simplest part of it

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Street Fighter plot gets more and more anime over time but it's pretty straightforward. I mean, there's no time-travel that I know of and like, only one or two immortals.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Wait doesn't Alpha take place after 1(no one cares) leading up to 2?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Are the 16 versions of sf2 sequels to each other

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I think so? The original Street Fighter was such a nothing game.

I wouldn’t mind a Sub Zero animated movie based off of Sub Zero 2 meeting Scorpion, finding out Noob Saibot is his brother, and teaming up with Smoke against the cyborgs Sektor and Cyrax. And probably throw in Frost somewhere.

Also, shoe horn in Reptile, Ermac, and Rain to have all the ninjas.

Mortal Kombat was initially inspired by kung fu movies, but it’s slathered in layers of American comic book style lore.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

X-O posted:

Does Street Fighter also have an insane story too? And why is that it's only on #5 when #2 came out when I was like 7 years old? Mortal Kombat seems to be churning out faster if it's on #11 and has had a bunch of side games.

Any fighting game that tries to tell a story with actual depth is doomed to have an insane story because it's hard to come up with upwards of 15 different distinct narratives for all the wildly distinct colorful characters, especially when it has to pivot on the keystone of all of them fighting to some degree

That's why even fighters with expansive story modes like Mortal Kombat and the Arc Sys games are still total hogwash nosnense

It's my belief that the appropriate amount of storytelling for a fighting game is the early Tekken amount of "Everyone has a unique, and ideally complimentary, ending, and maybe a 2-3 paragraph long text intro"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

it does but literally only one thing important to the entire series happens in 1 (Ryu scarring Sagat) so it barely counts

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Are the 16 versions of sf2 sequels to each other

The answer is "kind of?" Cause they introduced new characters that were all canon but it all took place in the same time as the original release. So more like a rolling wave of retcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

Yes and there is a comic book company, Udon Entertainment, that is very nearly dedicated entirely to producing canon Street Fighter stories.