Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Always been geared players but yes, now there is such a quantity of money and gear available that it's the normal. Saying that, gear is getting cheaper, it seems. I expected inflation but i'm seeing the price of guns and armor dropping. All it takes is too face tap someone and you are geared too though. I think you need to get used to ambushing players until you get that gear and can chad it up. The common sneaky meta is just no armor, a rig and a Hunter with M61. Ammo is king in this game and a cheap gun like the Hunter that can fire it relatively quickly is a good gun to go with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
As good as the Hunter can be I don't feel like that's gonna play ball against regular squads of dudes tricked out in level 5/6 stuff with 60 round laser guns but I'll give it a go. Definitely having to relearn a lot of stuff at the moment.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Against well geared players you just gotta be better, but that's just a FPS thing. That's why I said be sneaky, ambush, etc. I can't tell you the number of players i've killed because they are chadding around and I just face tap them as they turned a corner. A squad of players is always gonna have an advantage on you because 2 is always better than 1. Even if you were super well geared, you'd still lose to a 2v1 just because they have the number advantage.

At least with a hunter and some M61, you can get them from a distance, letting you kind of flank and surprise the next one. Up close isn't gonna go as well, but if you can surprise kill one and then back off, you have a shot at catching the next one unaware, then the next one, etc. And hey, if you die, all you lose is a hunter.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Orv posted:

As good as the Hunter can be I don't feel like that's gonna play ball against regular squads of dudes tricked out in level 5/6 stuff with 60 round laser guns but I'll give it a go. Definitely having to relearn a lot of stuff at the moment.

your goal with an ambush playstyle isn't to take a squad of dudes head on, it's to get cheese kills in situations where you're advantaged. it's hard to kill a squad of 4 even geared, the point is the hunter is less than a tenth of the investment, and you don't have to leave with the gear to have a good time, you can always zonk 1 guy out of 5 and just leave and enjoy that you ruined one guy's day.

i would also consider the mp-153 for close range situations, either magnum buckshot for leg meta or flechette for standard head/thorax

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe I've put this badly. I'm just trying to get stuff done, PvP definitely isn't a focus and I'm not hunting players at this stage of relearning stuff but it's been fairly frustrating to try and do a quest or find an item and running across someone who just pops you once in the chest with an M4 burst the second they see you and that's that. That's definitely Tarkov and has always been Tarkov but it feels weirdly pronounced at the moment since everyone has that kind of kit, instead of maybe a couple guys a raid and my options for dealing with it are basically nil if I'm playing/running what you might consider normal for my level of progress.

I think I'm just adjusting to a post flea market Tarkov but it's rough and definitely not the game I'm used to from a couple years ago.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 22, 2021

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the bitcoin trash definitely ruined this wipe, i'd highly recommend not burning yourself out playing this wipe in it's lovely state and waiting for the next one.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
It's not like getting new gear is very hard when you can just do juicy scav runs pretty reliably, just treat the deaths as a lesson and try to come up with a plan that reduces your exposure for next time.

Also: if anyone didn't already know this, you should absolutely upgrade ammo before you pay up for top tier mods, it's way more important to be throwing at least BP considering what an insane advantage it gives you over bad ammo. A cheap AK with like 50k in mods and two clips of BP is all you need to compete with any M4 chad most of the time.

And imo lasers > reflex sights when it comes to close range fighting, since you save on the ADS sighting time. Switching to a laser sight and AP20 slugs in my 153 was the real game changer for my close range game this wipe, you just have such a huge timing advantage and only need to get a few rounds on target pretty much anywhere to kill.

I had some guy on Factory get the drop on me and totally assblast me last night, except he must have been shooting trash tier ammo because he barely scratched my Korund and I was able to complete the mission and extract rather than die and delete my client. If he has been shooting slugs or BP I'd have been blapped for sure, he might as well have been blowing kisses. Bad ammo kills.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

yeah if you're a conservative ambush player you shouldn't ever have monetary issues even being a below average player, comtacs, and a cheap SKS/hunter/mp153/AK can easily kill people before they can react to you

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
To the bloke in factory that yelled "Cease Fire", that I wiggled at, and then shot in the head. I'm sorry. I really needed that third pistol kill.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Nutsak posted:

To the bloke in factory that yelled "Cease Fire", that I wiggled at, and then shot in the head. I'm sorry. I really needed that third pistol kill.

Next wipe I'm definitely running USEC - having the ability to shout "CEASE FIRE" and "COCKSUCKER" at people seems like it could add another level of enjoyment to this game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea I hosed up not running USEC. This is the only wipe I didn't and its not worth it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ShowTime posted:

Yea I hosed up not running USEC. This is the only wipe I didn't and its not worth it.

"Don't fuckin know poo poo"

One of the best voice lines, hands down.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

ShowTime posted:

I also chose BEAR just to yell "Dicky Needles!" All the time at my friends. It's funny, but not as good as being able to communicate with randos.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I like BEAR but would be much happier if I could get a thickly accented version of the “Nice work, bitch.” line

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Orv posted:

You can kill ANYONE with a single M61 to the head out of a hunter. You can kill a 5 stack of lazer Chadz in power armor with 5 rounds of m61 out of a hunter. Just avoid cqc with them. Armor is really just to increase the probability of survival when you gently caress up

Rock good ammo, find a quiet spot, lie down, kill Chads, camp the corpses, scoop it up at the end of the raid

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

is there a key other than esc for closing containers/menus? a couple times now when i've been trying to loot fast i've reached my index up to esc and brought my hand down in the wrong spot and hit G instead of F when trying to loot the next thing. that's obviously... less than ideal.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Hooplah posted:

is there a key other than esc for closing containers/menus? a couple times now when i've been trying to loot fast i've reached my index up to esc and brought my hand down in the wrong spot and hit G instead of F when trying to loot the next thing. that's obviously... less than ideal.

The suggested action is to go into the keybinds and change grenade to a double press of G so you don't do that.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Hooplah posted:

Tab

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

jesus christ why did i not try that

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Well, that was a surprising scav box.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Heeeeey what'cha doooooing????

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Hey, an even crazier scav junkbox:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I have no idea what to sell it for. Only 2 up right now are barters for Red Labcards. I haven't been following it enough to see realistic sell prices.

Edit: Turns out, can't sell it. Not because it's not FIR (it is), but because it costs 80 mil to sell it for 50 mil. What can I barter for if i'm not after keys?

Edit 2: I don't want to list the armband but if you see an interesting, valuable barter requesting one, please let me know. Just if you are browsing and see someone offering a dumb amount of THICC cases or something for one. My best bet for getting money for it is to trade for a THICC item and weapon case, because i can sell the two I have for roubles since they are FIR.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 28, 2021

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

Edit 2: I don't want to list the armband but if you see an interesting, valuable barter requesting one, please let me know. Just if you are browsing and see someone offering a dumb amount of THICC cases or something for one. My best bet for getting money for it is to trade for a THICC item and weapon case, because i can sell the two I have for roubles since they are FIR.

If you right click an item and select > Required Search, it will filter the flea showing barters that are asking for your item.

You may also need to toggle the display of Barters in your search cause Tarkov UI is what it is

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just watched something that said they're targeting 40 PMCs for Streets and I have no idea what to think about that. Terror, mostly I guess.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow I had no idea Required Search did that and despite always seeing it, never tried it. Best trade I could see for one was 61 graphics cards, which really isn't worth it since they only sell for like 100k. I'll just list it for a THICC items and THICC weapons and hope someone bites.

Edit: Someone did, so i'll take it. Some TTV guy, of course.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 28, 2021

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
After being a rat all wipe I decided to put my 3/3 BTC farm proceeds to a purpose and have started running factory runs explicitly looking for PvP.

Got to say, it's a different game then what I was doing and I'm having lots of fun, though it helps to have a backlog of saved up gear and money.

Still have to overcome my rat brain at times when I hear gunfire and I'm like "poo poo I need to hide...wait...no I don't I'm here to fight."

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

So, turns out you can put other cases in the ICase? So much extra space in the stash now :o:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Now put that in your T H I C C for Inception levels of organization.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Now put that in your T H I C C for Inception levels of organization.

I think they put a stop to that.

Also oh, there are mines there on Shoreline. No map says this, it's fine, that's fine, it's okay. :smith:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Orv posted:

I think they put a stop to that.

Also oh, there are mines there on Shoreline. No map says this, it's fine, that's fine, it's okay. :smith:

You mean the ones by the big gate area in the SW corner of the map? That's the first map I played when I first got the game and I did the same thing. I just assumed someone was throwing grenades at me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

You mean the ones by the big gate area in the SW corner of the map? That's the first map I played when I first got the game and I did the same thing. I just assumed someone was throwing grenades at me.

Yeah I'd never actually had cause to go down there and I was sprinting away from a couple large boys trying to add extra holes to my head and found out.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Exactly the same for me. First map, died to them.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I found a dead scav out there one time when I was scavving and went to grab his backpack and blew off both legs.

Luckily my exit was at the lighthouse but hobbling at the slowest speed in the game down the beach highway and across that little land bridge while yelling in pain and agony and unable to see more than five feet from pain tremors was probably the most unsettling feeling I've had in tarkov... even as a scav.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the upside is I'll almost certainly get my poo poo back cause lmao good luck fuckers I sprinted dead rear end into the middle of it

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
if you can find and get around the mines theres all kinds of insane loot that spawns at the base of the wall behind the minefield, ledx and graphics cards and all the streamer items

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

hakimashou posted:

if you can find and get around the mines theres all kinds of insane loot that spawns at the base of the wall behind the minefield, ledx and graphics cards and all the streamer items

I wish they did make a hidden path through the mines that let you get to this kind of stuff, but hackers would just teleport there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So since mines weren't a thing last time I was playing any real amount, how do they work? It seems like they instantly and infinitely rearm? Are there set placements or is it just "You walked X yards in a minefield take damage."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Oh I got a public service announcement for tarkov actually:

Now that this is a big "gamer" game there's a lot of unsavory characters trying to get people mixed up with "twitch" or "TTV"

The times did an exposee the other day about how that web site is the main financial support for a lot of really bad people now

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/27/technology/twitch-livestream-extremists.html

So if anyone tries to get you to visit a "twitch" or "TTV" link or is trying to push that poo poo, remember about how birds of a feather flock together and consider they probably aren't someone you want anything to do with.

Been telling people for a long time not to get mixed up with that crap and warning them about it, so its good to see it start to get picked up by real journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orv posted:

So since mines weren't a thing last time I was playing any real amount, how do they work? It seems like they instantly and infinitely rearm? Are there set placements or is it just "You walked X yards in a minefield take damage."

As far as I can tell its just intensifying areas of "X% Chance to trigger a mine every ???" the deeper into the minefield you go.