Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Necrothatcher posted:

It seems to be massively overstated as a potential issue.

A guy in the monitor thread posted their six year old oled watch recently

what the screen is supposed to look like

what it actually looks like

this is likely a worst case scenario, but it is a real drawback of the tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rinkles posted:

A guy in the monitor thread posted their six year old oled watch recently

what the screen is supposed to look like

what it actually looks like

this is likely a worst case scenario, but it is a real drawback of the tech.

I'm not saying OLED burn-in isn't real, but I've never seen any examples of a Vita looking anywhere near that bad.

this is the worst I could find and I'm not totally convinced that's burn-in anyway.

You'd think so long after the launch there'd be a tonne of pictures of OLED Vitas with burned screens, but... there aren't.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Clearly no one actually uses the drat thing.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Szurumbur posted:

I've a question probably no one has the answer to, but I'm curious if any one has some thoughts: what was the reason behind linking PSVita game bubbles with save data, even on cart? My ideas are along the thought of making the bigger memory cards more valuable, since you can't just delete the games; also, to make people more eager to buy and maintain PS+ subcription, since that enabled cloud saves.

However, foolish as that might be, I keep wondering if there were any positives to the practice, and I can't think of any - especially since PSX and PSP games had separated saves.

No idea. Save data is stored in a completely separate set of folders from game data, it would not have been very difficult at all to have a submenu in the Settings app that let you delete saves on a per-game basis, separate from the bubble.

But then again storage on Vitas is just weird overall. Did you know that even the "no internal storage" OLED Vitas have an internal partition with more than 2.5 GB of space you're never allowed to interact with unless you jailbreak your system? All that's normally stored on there is your bubble-layout and some preferences and system files, you'd never in a million years take up more than a couple tens of megabytes of it through normal usage.

I haven't jailbroken my PSTV yet, but my understanding is that the 2K Vitas and PSTVs don't actually have any additional internal storage compared to OLED models; instead, they've just taken a gigabyte from that existing internal partition and made a new partition from it, which takes the place of the memory card if there's no physical memory card in the machine during boot.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 20, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It was probably meant to bandaid savegames as an exploit entry point, given the entire state of the Liberty City Stories explot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

But then again storage on Vitas is just weird overall. Did you know that even the "no internal storage" OLED Vitas have an internal partition with more than 2.5 GB of space you're never allowed to interact with unless you jailbreak your system? All that's normally stored on there is your bubble-layout and some preferences and system files, you'd never in a million years take up more than a couple tens of megabytes of it through normal usage.

I read somewhere that the partition is there so Sony knows every Vita always has space to download and install critical firmware updates.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Necrothatcher posted:

I read somewhere that the partition is there so Sony knows every Vita always has space to download and install critical firmware updates.

Kind of makes sense, but also Vita firmware updates are less than 150MB.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

Kind of makes sense, but also Vita firmware updates are less than 150MB.

It also has that port that eventually never did anything. They probably had plans down the line for features that never made it off the ground and the memory was there to accommodate them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

History Comes Inside! posted:

It also has that port that eventually never did anything. They probably had plans down the line for features that never made it off the ground and the memory was there to accommodate them.

Okay yeah, I can see that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have OLED image retention issues? I'd don't play mine enough, but I've always been curious how bad it gets. I've never actually heard anyone complain about it.

I had it on my first vita. It only showed up on totally black screens, which sort of defeats the purpose of oled, but otherwise looked and worked fine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I do miss the wacky poo poo they bolted onto the PSP..the Talkman Mic, the GPS receiver, there was probably a camera and a 1seg tuner..

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Instant Grat posted:

Oh yeah that happens to both of mine. It looks kinda funky, but I never notice it unless the screen is all-black. And I've never noticed any problems with image retention/burn-in. I thought that stopped being a problem after plasma TVs went away?

I got a new LG OLED TV, and it has a ton of stop-measures to prevent burn-in. That said, I'm pretty sure it's mostly aimed at people who just leave the TV on 24/7 with Fox news, so the little News symbols and such will burn-in, eventually.

not that I've ever seen it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kirbysuperstar posted:

there was probably a camera

Not probably. I remember a time I saw local kids playing Invizimals (Sony's Pokemon) with PSPs and cameras bolted in. It did some AR stuff for their battles or catches or both, I don't remember, but I remember being impressed by the tech, the fact I was seeing wild PSPs in 2010, and the fact a decade later loving mainline Pokemon still doesn't have anything like that other than Go's AR stuff.

edit: some images I found of the thing

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only ever had first hand screen burn experience once but it was like 15 years ago when we destroyed a friend’s parents’ plasma by playing guitar hero constantly at a 72 hour party weekend and burning the note ramp thing into the middle of the screen.

So don’t play your vita for 72 hours straight is my advice.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And lol there was indeed a 1seg turner for the goddamn PSP. It truly was the Game Gear of its time

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

the Game Gear TV tuner was top-tier with the A/C adapter, some wild tech there.

Man, the Vita was just too ahead of its time. Would y'all have been fine without the--arguably gimmicky--back controls and such?

The fact that I could play PS All-stars online using a bluetooth mic was pretty wild to me. Switch still can't do anything like that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Man, the Vita was just too ahead of its time. Would y'all have been fine without the--arguably gimmicky--back controls and such?

I only ("only") have a PSTV, and I absolutely love it, so... yeah.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Tearaway was really fun so I would rather have more games that used the back touch and gyro sensors and camera creatively than not have them. They really should've had 4 shoulder buttons though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Not probably. I remember a time I saw local kids playing Invizimals (Sony's Pokemon) with PSPs and cameras bolted in. It did some AR stuff for their battles or catches or both, I don't remember, but I remember being impressed by the tech, the fact I was seeing wild PSPs in 2010, and the fact a decade later loving mainline Pokemon still doesn't have anything like that other than Go's AR stuff.

Oh right yeah Invizimals, I forgot about that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The vita is still the best feeling handheld I've ever used. Something about the form factor is incredibly comfy and I've always liked the mushy shoulder buttons and hyper-clicky face buttons.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So idk where exactly to ask about it but ever since installing setting up an sd2vita it seems like i've completely lost my ability to get stuff from the actual psn store by and large. Or at the very least it's extremely random and subject to the whims of i don't know what.

Like, I was able to download my copy of DXC and Ys VII with no real problems but past that it's been a slew of errors ranging from 'cannot download' after spending an hour actually downloading the thing, or a cannot install/corrupt file error. I was hoping that having a nice big sd card in here would make it so that I could have easy access to all the crap I've accumulated over the years but it doesn't seem to be taking now, which is kinda lame.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

the Game Gear TV tuner was top-tier with the A/C adapter, some wild tech there.

The fact that I could play PS All-stars online using a bluetooth mic was pretty wild to me. Switch still can't do anything like that.

The front touchscreen was pretty important, I think. At least it was a good idea. The back controls were mostly useless but then again I am not sure they really that much of a hurdle or cost either. When they were used they were neat.

The memory being proprietary and super expensive was definitely a bigger problem. Also the DS eating its lunch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want someone to make a DTV tuner for the Vita or the switch now

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So idk where exactly to ask about it but ever since installing setting up an sd2vita it seems like i've completely lost my ability to get stuff from the actual psn store by and large. Or at the very least it's extremely random and subject to the whims of i don't know what.

Like, I was able to download my copy of DXC and Ys VII with no real problems but past that it's been a slew of errors ranging from 'cannot download' after spending an hour actually downloading the thing, or a cannot install/corrupt file error. I was hoping that having a nice big sd card in here would make it so that I could have easy access to all the crap I've accumulated over the years but it doesn't seem to be taking now, which is kinda lame.

This sounds more like a problem with the microsd card or the sd2vita itself, to be honest.

Besides that, if you legally own it already personally I’d just grab whatever game you’re trying to get from NPS instead, then you don’t have to worry about PSN being screwy with modded firmwares.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If downloading apps is also giving you trouble then you should probably check your micro sd if it's legit, sd2vita adapters don't really play nice with knockoff microSDs. If you're still getting issues with a different microSD then it's probably the adapter.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So new on Amazon these things are like 500 bucks. Used on eBay I’m seeing them from solid stores for $230 ish. Any reason not to buy the used? Batteries user replaceable? And how easy are they to hack for like GBA PSPgames?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you want a vita for vita/psp/ps1 games, emulation, or both? If it’s more on the emulation end, there are better options than the vita. If you want to play Vita, PSP and PS1 games, then a Vita is your best bet

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you want a vita for vita/psp/ps1 games, emulation, or both? If it’s more on the emulation end, there are better options than the vita. If you want to play Vita, PSP and PS1 games, then a Vita is your best bet

It’s both. Can it do ps2 games as well or no?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No ps2 games

HOWEVER. the modding scene has figured out how to port android apps to the vita, so PS2 games like the GTA games, Max Payne and (god willing) Bully are starting to show up.

So far they have been extremely good ports, and indistinguishable from a real vita game

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you want to play Vita, PSP and PS1 games, then a Vita is your best bet

It really is just perfect for that, drat.

Cannot wait to play Crisis Core with updated controls.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It really is just perfect for that, drat.

Cannot wait to play Crisis Core with updated controls.

Crisis Core is not available on the Vita, unfortunately. I suppose you could play it on the Vita through an emulator.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it’s a psp game, it’ll work. You just have to :filez: it

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The vita can run it natively or do you have to use an emulator? Because as far as i know there was never a digital release of CC, even on PSP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Natively.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The vita can run it natively or do you have to use an emulator? Because as far as i know there was never a digital release of CC, even on PSP.

The vita’s built in PSP poo poo is cracked wide open and you can use Adrenaline to play any PSP content you want with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The vita can run all psp games natively. If the game in question was only ever physical, then you need to :filez: a rip of it

The software called Adrenaline is what’s used to run PSP games and it basically just boots the Vita into PSP mode, but it’s not emulation, it’s the backwards compatibility layer

E:fb

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The vita’s built in PSP poo poo is cracked wide open and you can use Adrenaline to play any PSP content you want with it.
Yeah I figured you'd have to use Adrenaline, didn't know it wasnt an emulator though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah I figured you'd have to use Adrenaline, didn't know it wasnt an emulator though.

Adrenaline is just a way to access the built-in PSP hardware emulator that the Vita already uses to play all the PSP and PS1 Classics content you download from the PlayStation Store

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah it's an emulator. The firmware folder on the thing is even /pspemu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It is emulation, sort of, but the most relevant point is that it's the same emulation that's used to play PSP titles from the PlayStation Store. The only difference is that instead of using the built-in emulator to run a game directly, the built-in emulator is used to run a modded version of the PSP firmware, which can then run disc-dump games and the like.