Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Taping my apt door "that'll keep those whores out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

did this guy like, sleep through 2020

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Josh Christ posted:

I'd bet a cool twenty that if someone asked him this question he'd start talking about how the Biden admin is actually a great win for the left

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/ahumblebunnie/status/1385950597548027911?s=19

This is what I'm talking about when I say it's pointless to argue policy with chuds btw, they live in a world where Joe Biden is going to take away hamburgers because he hates your dick

Like we're beyond policy disagreements, they have a major news network telling them the cryptoconservative centrist who has never pretended to be anywhere left of Romney for a millisecond is a radical vegan who also hates penises for some undefined reason

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Crazypoops posted:

Turning on my 40 inch monitor to reveal a dozen open SA threads "that'll keep those whores out"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Josh Christ posted:

Being a lefty and "progressive" is cool in his social set and he wants to be seen (and see himself) as cool. He is also comfortable and wants absolutely nothing to do with anything that would change that.

Therefore - electoralism.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

political science PhD student
@Yale
thinking about race and political behavior • she/her 🏳️‍🌈 “I’ll tell you what Freedom is to me. No fear.”

political science is about as scientific as race science lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think there is a fundamental disconnect with the legal and moral ways people are looking at this. Vahakyla and others have been pretty clear, at least to me, that they think the cop was not necessarily morally correct but made a justified choice because if what he did was illegal then by how the law governs self defense in this country the girl in pink would have done something illegal if she had fought back and killed the person attacking her with a knife. If you think it's not wrong to to use lethal force to defend yourself from an attacker using lethal force, you have to say what the cop did was allowable in that situation or your whole concept of self defense becomes incoherent. I don't think people in this thread will be able to reconcile, because it looks like the camps are split into sides based on "it's morally wrong for the cops to kill people" and "it's morally right to be able to defend yourself (and others, as the laws work) from lethal force with lethal force, and we should consistently apply the law."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

it's aggravating because I think a lot of young people have identified that capitalism needs replacing. Still, many are unwilling to challenge the status quo because I guess they think they will lose perceived liberties related to individuality and it's not worth undermining capital to do that for them, and they don't want confrontations with gatekeepers

I think it's a lot more simple than this. People simply derive the assumptions they make about the world around them from the society in which they live and the media/people/institutions within said society.

So even if these people acknowledge many of our society's and world's problems, they still fundamentally view US institutions and norms as being, well, "normal." This perceived normality makes them believe that anything outside of US mainstream political thought must be dumb and wrong. You'll notice that they limit their opinions to those with representation in the US mainstream - for example stuff like single-payer health (which, even if politicians would never pass it, still exists as a relatively mainstream idea among liberals). This is also why they always agree with US narratives about foreign "bad countries" - there's literally no counter-narrative within the US mainstream for these things.

The end result is that you end up with people who think that social democratic ideas are good, but that they should (and can only) be achieved through methods, people, and institutions that exist within mainstream US society.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

I think there is a fundamental disconnect with the legal and moral ways people are looking at this. Vahakyla and others have been pretty clear, at least to me, that they think the cop was not necessarily morally correct but made a justified choice because if what he did was illegal then by how the law governs self defense in this country the girl in pink would have done something illegal if she had fought back and killed the person attacking her with a knife. If you think it's not wrong to to use lethal force to defend yourself from an attacker using lethal force, you have to say what the cop did was allowable in that situation or your whole concept of self defense becomes incoherent. I don't think people in this thread will be able to reconcile, because it looks like the camps are split into sides based on "it's morally wrong for the cops to kill people" and "it's morally right to be able to defend yourself (and others, as the laws work) from lethal force with lethal force, and we should consistently apply the law."
:champ:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Also, alienation leading to worship of capitalist products and media as a replacement for personality and social connections. Buncha people afraid of ego death if the products would disappear

I thought the zoomers were all about ego death.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ElectsWorld/status/1386050060509761539

trump had 60 at this point

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/fiorella_im/status/1385811575538262017?s=21 Would have linked another tweet of it but this was the first I saw with actual video of her saying it lol imagine donating to her or any politician

Goth AOC FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/ahumblebunnie/status/1385950597548027911?s=19

This is what I'm talking about when I say it's pointless to argue policy with chuds btw, they live in a world where Joe Biden is going to take away hamburgers because he hates your dick

Like we're beyond policy disagreements, they have a major news network telling them the cryptoconservative centrist who has never pretended to be anywhere left of Romney for a millisecond is a radical vegan who also hates penises for some undefined reason

This would not be a problem if you preface your discussion with how much you hate the loving Democrat party.

"Biden trying to turn you onto a soy boy? I loving hate that guy too."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

T. Bombastus posted:

this oped cannot be real how can a person think both of these things are true
they're lying about the first part

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Smythe posted:

Goth AOC FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

tfw no goth aoc gf :(

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

No, you really couldn't say the same thing, at least not based on posts in this thread. "The other side" is reasoning prima facie from the video of this particular incident, that the cop saved the victim in pink from deadly attack. No application of a general principle that all cop shootings are good, is necessary to reach this position. And it's perfectly consistent with, for example, most cop shootings being bad with this one being an exception.

OTOH, the ACAB camp is twisting itself into bizarre pretzels to disallow any exception to the general ACAB principle, like that the cop failed to come in with immediate dominating authority which opened the door to later events . Or that the attacker tripped and fell knife-first into the victim's neck, which would be comical if it weren't for the real life tragedy it purports to describe.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

love to defend child murderers on my favorite website

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

love to defend child murderers on my favorite website

if you DON'T defend child murder you're unreasonable and childish, unlike the big brain havers who know about nuance

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Definitive proof that class first is the way, and people bringing up race are wreckers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trump never had 60 lol

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/fiorella_im/status/1385811575538262017?s=21 Would have linked another tweet of it but this was the first I saw with actual video of her saying it lol imagine donating to her or any politician

This is hosed.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Yinlock posted:

No, you really couldn't say the same thing, at least not based on posts in this thread. "The other side" is reasoning prima facie from the video of this particular incident, that the cop saved the victim in pink from deadly attack. No application of a general principle that all cop shootings are good, is necessary to reach this position. And it's perfectly consistent with, for example, most cop shootings being bad with this one being an exception.

OTOH, the ACAB camp is twisting itself into bizarre pretzels to disallow any exception to the general ACAB principle, like that the cop failed to come in with immediate dominating authority which opened the door to later events . Or that the attacker tripped and fell knife-first into the victim's neck, which would be comical if it weren't for the real life tragedy it purports to describe.

wonder what this person thinks ACAB stands for

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

still relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Ln43bGdj0

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

ACAB*

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ALAB

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

AMAP

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Yinlock posted:

I hate these fuckin people so much, god drat

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Yinlock posted:

it was a good shoot, and derek chauvin is in prison so racism is now defeated! what more could you want?!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I hate these fuckin people so much, god drat

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Joey McChrist posted:

it was a good shoot, and derek chauvin is in prison so racism is now defeated! what more could you want?!

now that we've definitely defused the anti-cop tension forever, it's time to stuff the acab crowd back into their box

what do you mean they're still mad

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

sexpig by night posted:

if you think it’s ok to defend yourself with lethal force you must necessarily think it’s ok for a cop to defend you with lethal force. cops, as we all know, are magic disembodied guns with no agency of their own

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s not an ACAB Camp it’s an ACAB Decompression Facility FFS

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lol I love this guy

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1386039411436048392

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Happiness posted:

wonder what this person thinks ACAB stands for

Assigned Cop At Birth

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Shipon posted:

Assigned Cop At Birth

this is perf (police exclusive radical feminism)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

this is the poo poo that honestly pisses me off like BEYOND max level. NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : misread

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

inferis posted:

this is perf (police exclusive radical feminism)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Smythe posted:

this is the poo poo that honestly pisses me off like BEYOND max level. NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR