Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll be going engineer, myself. Engineer in ME3 is the most fun I've ever had in a shooter, and made it one of the very few games I beat on the hardest difficulty because it was simply fun. You have an endless bag of tricks with a tool for every situation, and the one thing enemies can do that you can't directly counter (centurion smoke grenades), that's what your gun with a thermal scope is for.

Plus you get unique dialogue in the ME3 DLC as an engineer, which Bioware confirmed was a special reward for those playing by far the least-played class in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sombrerotron posted:

Adept is still fun and good in the sequels, but especially so in ME2 because Throw is supercharged so if you toss out Pull/Singularity and then angle your Throw so it curves upwards you can launch enemies straight into the stratosphere and I will never ever get tired of doing that. Unfortunately they toned it down in ME3 - and then they gave it more oomph again in Andromeda, but seeing as you're almost always either in a confined space or the outdoors it's pretty rare that you can just eject a target from the map like you would in ME2.

So uh in conclusion Adept in ME2 is great fun if you enjoy catapulting humans and aliens alike and let's be honest here who doesn't?

I will never not be pissed that ME2/3 mandated you first strip whatever layer of Not_Hitpoints dudes have with your dinky little pistol before you get to mojo them. It's silly both from a lore standpoint (what, their omnitool makes them immune to a sudden gravity deficit ?) and from a gameplay standpoint (I've already shot that dude a dozen times, so I'm demonstrably good enough/safe enough to shoot at them with my dinky little pistol. Might as well just shoot them with my dinky little pistol some more and finish them off, what's the point of my Space Magic powers ?!).
And that's just regular dudes. Don't get me started on Space Magic being utterly useless against all armor all the time robots because gently caress you that's why.

It's supposed to be gravity manipulation FFS. You can't loving armor your way around it ! I say up, you go the gently caress up ! So what if it was bonkers powerful in ME1 - it's a singleplayer game, just let me play Motherfucker Pinball.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Cythereal posted:

Plus you get unique dialogue in the ME3 DLC as an engineer, which Bioware confirmed was a special reward for those playing by far the least-played class in the series.

I always wondered why Engineers were the only one to get a class-specific option!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'll be going engineer, myself. Engineer in ME3 is the most fun I've ever had in a shooter, and made it one of the very few games I beat on the hardest difficulty because it was simply fun. You have an endless bag of tricks with a tool for every situation, and the one thing enemies can do that you can't directly counter (centurion smoke grenades), that's what your gun with a thermal scope is for.

The thing is that the engineer in ME1 sucks. It's awesome in ME3 and pretty good in ME2 - but the ME1 engineer is terrible. They're far the squishiest class in the game, being stuck in light armour and with electronics only adding 30 points to their shield/level for a total of 270 shield bonus at max rank; a level 1 barrier adds 400 to the user's shields. And their attack powers both in terms of crowd control and fun in the first game fall far short of biotics; they're just explosions with a CC effect doing 50/100/150 damage each. (It's also really not worth getting electronics or decryption at above level 9 because the bonuses are so small).

The worst thing is just how much better the ME1 Infiltrator is than the Engineer. At low level it gets the electronics/decryption/damping combination of the engineer. It doesn't have medicine (bleh) or AI hacking (awesome ... when facing Geth). But in exchange it gets sniper rifles (fun - and the sniper rifle with HE ammo is the nearest to Incinerate you're going to get) and fitness (the skill that makes soldiers utterly indestructible at high levels in ME1). On the other hand the ME1 Infiltrator isn't an Infiltrator as we'd come to know them; they don't get a tactical cloak. So it's legit to play an Infiltrator through ME1 and call them an Engineer, switching your paperwork in ME2.

One of my hopes that I don't expect (other than from modders) for the remaster is to give optional updated versions of the classes for ME1, allowing the infiltrator tactical cloak, the vanguard biotic charge, and the engineer drones to give them their distinct identities.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I admit, in four playthroughs of ME1 and 2 I never touched engineer or...the one thats dual tech/biotic, whatever Kaidan's deal was. The idea of the PC playing a support class just seemed off, and Tali and Kaidan were the worst party members in any combat encounter so I must have subconsciously swore them off forever :shrug:

Though of the four other classes soldier was the most boring so I might just skip it this time and take a walk on the engineering side

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

My last ME1 playthrough was as an Engineer and maybe it was because it had already been years since I went through ME1 as an Infiltrator or Adept, but I remember having generally a pretty easy time of it on Hardcore and it all seemed fine to me. It's true that Engineers aren't particularly robust, but their powers are very effective at disabling enemies' offensive capabilities long enough for your squad to wipe them out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sombrerotron posted:

My last ME1 playthrough was as an Engineer and maybe it was because it had already been years since I went through ME1 as an Infiltrator or Adept, but I remember having generally a pretty easy time of it on Hardcore and it all seemed fine to me. It's true that Engineers aren't particularly robust, but their powers are very effective at disabling enemies' offensive capabilities long enough for your squad to wipe them out.

Yeah but disabling the enemies' offensive abilities by keeping them permanently ragdolling weightlessly around every room with the GOAT squad of Liara, Wrex and Adept Shepard was just too good, you know?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Adept in ME2 is great but it requires more precision than most of the other classes. Efficient play requires bringing the right squadmates (typically Miranda or Thane, the only ones who can trigger your Singularity with a Warp as soon as you drop it) and clever use of the fact that most of your short cooldown powers instakill enemies without defense layers.

The general gameplay flow is like...strip one enemy in a group down to health with your SMG, drop a Singularity near them, pause, then command Miranda or Thane to Warp and detonate the Singularity. The warp explosion then mostly strips defense layers from most of that enemy's buddies, who only need a little push before you can Throw or Pull them to death (or the Singularity just ragdolls them with its remaining duration). Singularity also deals unlisted chip damage to, specifically, armour layers, which is a weird wrinkle that isn't on any of the tooltips but is observably true and can be used to deal with robots.

That's on Insanity, it's probably a lot easier on lower difficulties where defense layers are less common and easier to crack.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wolfsheim posted:

I admit, in four playthroughs of ME1 and 2 I never touched engineer or...the one thats dual tech/biotic, whatever Kaidan's deal was. The idea of the PC playing a support class just seemed off, and Tali and Kaidan were the worst party members in any combat encounter so I must have subconsciously swore them off forever :shrug:

Though of the four other classes soldier was the most boring so I might just skip it this time and take a walk on the engineering side

Tali worked great for me with enough ability management; I ran with a soldier femShep as my main and has a blast with a Shep/Tali/Liara girl team in ME1. Even ran a "girl's night out" reunion with the three for Shadow Broker DLC in 2, although that admittedly wasn't a very good synergy for that game sadly.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I was looking at the comparison video for original vs legendary edition, and it seems like they've removed all hard shadows from the game?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wolfsheim posted:

Engineer is not a support class from ME2 onwards. Engineer is an elemental space wizard here to electrocute, burn, poison, freeze, explode, and just maybe shoot everything that tickles your fancy.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Engineer is not a support class from ME2 onwards. Engineer is an elemental space wizard here to electrocute, burn, poison, freeze, explode, and just maybe shoot everything that tickles your fancy.

And they bring their own squad with them, especially in ME3 where you get the turret as well as the drone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

neonchameleon posted:

And they bring their own squad with them, especially in ME3 where you get the turret as well as the drone.

As I noted, engineers have a trick for every occasion.

Armor? Incinerate is one of the best armor-busters around.

Shields/barriers? Overload is the best in the business at breaking those.

Cerberus turrets/geth? Hacking.

Guardians? Spawn the drone or turret behind them.

Chaff wearing you down? Cryo blast.

Tougher stuff? Engineers can prep and detonate, on their own, tech bursts, fire bursts, and freeze bursts.

Oh and you also have a gun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

while you make a strong argument, i present a counterpoint

wuh-bu-boom

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Counterpoint, sniper rifle headshots take care of everything all by themselves

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All that poo poo is too complicated when I can just charge, shotgun, melee anything and everyone.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Tech armor.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Liara will control the crowd for me with a singularity, then I can, ahem... “disperse” the crowd with a warp throw I just curved around a blind corner

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Likewise with Sentinel - it's basically described as a soldier/powers middle ground, except it's not mediocre at everything compared to the specialized classes, it's still really damned good at everything. Like most classes, it's also bonkers in ME3.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Sentinel is one I never played and so my first Legendary Edition:tm: run is going to be as a Sentinel

I look forward to explosions

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

yeah your physics shenanigans are cool and all but i like clicking on heads with the mattock

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ptink ptink ptink

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I've only played through the first two games once each and I was a Soldier, so I look forward to doing something substantially more silly this time around. Vanguard and Engineer are both getting some tempting press here and elsewhere...

I'll also finally play the third game. I loved Mass Effect 2 but the ending leaks for 3 sounded so bad that I never bought it. But now, a thousand years later, I'm ready.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Psycho Landlord posted:

Sentinel is one I never played and so my first Legendary Edition:tm: run is going to be as a Sentinel

I look forward to explosions

It’s pretty boring In the first game BUT the sequels pay it off excellently.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xalidur posted:

I've only played through the first two games once each and I was a Soldier, so I look forward to doing something substantially more silly this time around. Vanguard and Engineer are both getting some tempting press here and elsewhere...

I'll also finally play the third game. I loved Mass Effect 2 but the ending leaks for 3 sounded so bad that I never bought it. But now, a thousand years later, I'm ready.

The thing about ME3 is it's generally really good and it's mostly been overshadowed by the ending because leaving a bad last impression tends to colour the whole experience.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Mass Effect 3 - poo poo fetch quests littering your quest log all game and terrible narrative surrounding the Reapers/Cerberus. Otherwise good fun.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Don't forget that the first five or so hours of ME3 are loving terrible, especially right after playing ME2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ashpanash posted:

Don't forget that the first five or so hours of ME3 are loving terrible, especially right after playing ME2.

The opening sequence made a really bad first impression with the exception of the Clint Mansell track. Just, everything cranked up to be as loud and stupid as possible and Whoa did we just blow your mind by killing a kid

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Otoh, playing it with my bitchin sound system and hearing the Reapers Reaping was loving awesome. It's great spectacle, just dumb as hell.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vanguard was great in ME2 and 3. I used to get myself killed a lot though, because I thought charging into all the enemies was funny

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No that's just the correct way to play.
With Nova in 3 you become borderline invincible

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Gonna put in spoilers because apparently not everyone reading this fred has played ME3 yet.

Doctor Nutt posted:

The opening sequence made a really bad first impression with the exception of the Clint Mansell track. Just, everything cranked up to be as loud and stupid as possible and Whoa did we just blow your mind by killing a kid
Considering that the Reapers are invading Earth, I think the starting mission can at least be excused for being as loud as possible. Regardless, it's over within, what 30 minutes? And what follows in the next hours generally seems solid to me. First you go to Mars, which is suitably eerie, has some cool cutscenes and dialogue with other characters, and is quite solid gameplay-wise I think, then you're off to the Citadel for a bit, which admittedly isn't the most exciting of places to be but I don't think it's any worse than ME1's plodding exploration implementation or ME2's severely limited rendition), followed by a few cool reunion sequences and the entire Tuchanka arc, which surely is one of the best parts of ME3 and possibly the entire trilogy. And then there's some pretty good side missions can do in between. Maybe it's not all as memorable as ME2 generally is, but I hardly feel it deserves to be labelled as terrible.

edit: Jesus why do I even bother

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 26, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

ashpanash posted:

While I dislike the entire council section, the reaper invasion part is pretty good and sets the stakes pretty well.When I got to Mars and Liara starts talking about "the crucible" I thought - poo poo, we're going down the incredibly obvious 'prothean Macguffin' direction for wrapping this up? Lame!!

edit - actually Sombrerotron (heheh) raises a good point: what're we doing about spoilers in this thread when LE gets closer to release? Is there going to be a thread specifically for the remaster? I'm new to the forum and not really up on protocol here.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 26, 2021

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DourCricket posted:

While I dislike the entire council section, the reaper invasion part is pretty good and sets the stakes pretty well.When I got to Mars and Liara starts talking about "the crucible" I thought - poo poo, we're going down the incredibly obvious 'prothean Macguffin' direction for wrapping this up? Lame!!

I KNOW, RIGHT ?!
Felt like such a kick in the nuts. But I suppose at least they were upfront about their just giving up :/.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the ME3 intro wastes quite a bit of time being needlessly vague. "something's entered the system but we don't know what" "satellites are going dark, what could have caused this?" "we're getting info from London *guy screams into a camera for less than a second before being cut off* ooh what a mystery" like c'mon, this isn't suspense it's just boring

the initial setting of the Alliance hearing in itself is directionless as well, perhaps because of a possible late change from putting Shepard on trial for their actions in ME2/Arrival. the purpose of the hearing is to figure out what we should do when killer robots invade, and Shepard's big insight that marks them out as a hero is the idea that we should fight instead of dying

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lt. Danger posted:

the initial setting of the Alliance hearing in itself is directionless as well, perhaps because of a possible late change from putting Shepard on trial for their actions in ME2/Arrival. the purpose of the hearing is to figure out what we should do when killer robots invade, and Shepard's big insight that marks them out as a hero is the idea that we should fight instead of dying

that's the plan :smuggo:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That massive desk getting hurled across the room is pretty dope though

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's so weird that the trilogy's final game has the protagonist on trial for genocide, and then that's forgotten about in five minutes. And the genocide happens in an optional DLC for the previous game, that is also the worst DLC for that game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's a pretty bad genocide until the actual genociders show up and then welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
ME3 opening ruled incredibly hard, I loved it. Except the part where Liara decided to push hard for me to romance her despite saying no in LotSB and rebuking her at every point in ME1