Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

also lionizing someone like Walt Disney, who was notoriously anti-labor and not exactly a 'woke' person in any possible way is just hilarious to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Imagine being intimidated by tattoos in 2021.

Pretty much unless it's on someone's face, they're completely ignorable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Imagine being intimidated by tattoos in 2021.

Pretty much unless it's on someone's face, they're completely ignorable.
"Blue hair???? Let me speak to your manager young lady, this injustice will not stand!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

also lionizing someone like Walt Disney, who was notoriously anti-labor and not exactly a 'woke' person in any possible way is just hilarious to me

yeah. its more complex then that( the buessness exploded bigger then he was used to and he still wanted to rule it like "uncle walt" but divsions and credit poo poo blew up and walt basicaly listened to his lawyer who was a big red scare chud) but yeah he went HARD anti labor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsP71i7O49U

here is a good video on it. it also has alot of good videos on the history of the company and poo poo. the real history of that poo poo is facinating and thats why i will always be interested walt because he was such a weird creative dude who had alot of hosed up control issues and poo poo.

FlamingLiberal posted:

"Blue hair???? Let me speak to your manager young lady, this injustice will not stand!"

"look you little hussy, i dont care if its part of your "religion", you better take that burqa off and worship CHRIST like a good american, I didnt spend a week of my salery to come her and buy another weeks worth of my salary on daisy duck dolls to be offended like this".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I cannot stop laughing at "muh immersion in the realistic Disney princess tales" poo poo

How can I enjoy Aladdin when I'm taken out of the fantasy by seeing tattoos on the medieval Islamic princess who wears a teal halter top

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1385714923754377216?s=21

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I wonder which of Walts values he wants back?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I cannot stop laughing at "muh immersion in the realistic Disney princess tales" poo poo

How can I enjoy Aladdin when I'm taken out of the fantasy by seeing tattoos on the medieval Islamic princess who wears a teal halter top

yeah, like i love all the world building and insane details, but its all based on bullshit and myths that disney believed in when he was a kid, its why the entrance looks like 1890s-1910s. like its all bullshit anyway, why not add diversity. loving covid pushed me into a disney hole last year, but i find these assholes the worst. the parks change, everything changes.

now i am just picturing on the scene footage of a fox chopper following a black person walking around a nice neighborhood and whenever they cutaway, its keeps the live feed in the corner.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Walt Disney used his corporation to express his patriotism during World War II and his pro-capitalism beliefs afterward. The difference today is that the people who run Disney use social media to scream to the whole world that a decision has been made for political reasons.

When Walt Disney expressed his political beliefs through his company, it was good, because I agreed with those beliefs. But when Disney expresses their political beliefs through their company, it's bad, because I disagree with those beliefs, and also they use Twitter.

quote:

When my family rides Pirates now, each of the changed scenes takes us out of the illusion because they remind us of reality and the politics that forced the changes.

If my family can't even watch drunkards try to rape women what's even the point of riding the ride?

Disney World is for kids! That doesn't mean adults can't go to it and also have fun, because there's still a lot of cool rides and stuff. But it's for kids! Kids don't give a poo poo about Song of the South, they probably haven't even heard of it much less seen it. The kids who ride Splash Mountain aren't going to care if the Song of the South theming is gone because it's still a fun ride! The kids who ride Pirates of the Caribbean aren't going to care if pirates are chasing food instead of women now because it's still a fun ride!

All this dude is doing is making his kids sad and disappointed they don't get to ride the fun rides because the kids aren't going to care about the changes to some of the scenes, and what the hell kind of parent sits their kid down and says "Son, I know you like the Pirates ride, but we're not going to ride it because some SJWs demanded that they change the scene where women are sold into sex slavery."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Adding the Johnny Depp character to the Pirates ride was way more distracting than any of those other minor changes to the background animatronics

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Adding the Johnny Depp character to the Pirates ride was way more distracting than any of those other minor changes to the background animatronics

yeah. my big annoyance is the death of journey into imaginations. like i never rode the original but the first iterations is stupidly whimsical and weird and the song is an earworm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onflv0-LW-4

the update from like 20 years ago is ok but its also sorta poo poo.

id love to see like a newer version of the old ride with all the cool tech.

Twelve by Pies posted:

When Walt Disney expressed his political beliefs through his company, it was good, because I agreed with those beliefs. But when Disney expresses their political beliefs through their company, it's bad, because I disagree with those beliefs, and also they use Twitter.

If my family can't even watch drunkards try to rape women what's even the point of riding the ride?

Disney World is for kids! That doesn't mean adults can't go to it and also have fun, because there's still a lot of cool rides and stuff. But it's for kids! Kids don't give a poo poo about Song of the South, they probably haven't even heard of it much less seen it. The kids who ride Splash Mountain aren't going to care if the Song of the South theming is gone because it's still a fun ride! The kids who ride Pirates of the Caribbean aren't going to care if pirates are chasing food instead of women now because it's still a fun ride!

All this dude is doing is making his kids sad and disappointed they don't get to ride the fun rides because the kids aren't going to care about the changes to some of the scenes, and what the hell kind of parent sits their kid down and says "Son, I know you like the Pirates ride, but we're not going to ride it because some SJWs demanded that they change the scene where women are sold into sex slavery."

this just makes me want to go to disney world. i havent been their since like 2005.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this just makes me want to go to disney world. i havent been their since like 2005.
They've added a lot of new rides and the big theme now is theming areas after properties like Star Wars, as I'm sure you've probably seen

Unfortunately due to some agreement that Marvel signed decades ago, Universal has full control over Avengers stuff east of the Mississippi so we're never going to have a Marvel area in one of the Florida parks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They've added a lot of new rides and the big theme now is theming areas after properties like Star Wars, as I'm sure you've probably seen

Unfortunately due to some agreement that Marvel signed decades ago, Universal has full control over Avengers stuff east of the Mississippi so we're never going to have a Marvel area in one of the Florida parks

that sucks. id like more epcot expansions. epcot and magic kingdom were always my favorites. my friend and i have talked about going there someday as like couples thing once his kid is old enough to remember it. i wouldnt mind working for disney, like not park work but some white collard dickhead job. either way, id probably blow way to much money on star wars poo poo. i am buying that palpatine bust.

https://theforceawakenstoys.com/other-cool-stars-wars-stuff/new-galaxys-edge-emperor-palpatine-darth-sidious-antique-bust-available/

https://www.shopdisney.com/first-or...CbM0HX50mDyYSZc

they also make a regular OT era Imperial hat.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 24, 2021

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

VitalSigns posted:

His complaint doesn't even pass this very laughable bar, though. Every single person working in the parks is a "cast member." Disney being Disney, I'm sure they are keeping stringent appearance rules in place for actual Disney characters. These changes just mean the guy who runs the ride might have an earring, or the lady who tries to sell you a vacation package can have a visible tattoo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Razor Jacksuit posted:

His complaint doesn't even pass this very laughable bar, though. Every single person working in the parks is a "cast member." Disney being Disney, I'm sure they are keeping stringent appearance rules in place for actual Disney characters. These changes just mean the guy who runs the ride might have an earring, or the lady who tries to sell you a vacation package can have a visible tattoo.

this. its not the characters or anything, least the ones outside like mickey or stitch costumes. those poor fucks have to look the part. dipshit is mad that the loving Living with the Land operator might have hair color or a hijab.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epcot here in FL is currently undergoing a bunch of construction, as that park has severely lagged the others in attention from corporate and they are having to play catch-up now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Something tells me it's always a crappy day in Mr. Gutfeld's Neighbourhood.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wrong, Disney is going to buy and redirect the Mississippi out to sea through Rhode Island.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. its not the characters or anything, least the ones outside like mickey or stitch costumes. those poor fucks have to look the part. dipshit is mad that the loving Living with the Land operator might have hair color or a hijab.

omg lol no way

how does this guy even function in day-to-day society

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

omg lol no way

how does this guy even function in day-to-day society

idk. apperently the dude is a loving AG in some red state or red county.

i say we just put him on its a small world and break the controls so it loops forever and the operators on the ride are POC goths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxRW-duSCLA

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. apperently the dude is a loving AG in some red state or red county.

Las Vegas deputy DA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

Las Vegas deputy DA

same thing. still a loud sad old gently caress who looks exactly how you think he would and acts even worse.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

pacerhimself posted:

You could perhaps say that he's "Virtue" "Signalling"
it's vice signalling

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The difference today is that the people who run Disney use social media to scream to the whole world that a decision has been made for political reasons.

he screamed, in his newspaper article about decisions being made for political reasons

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Still only tapping into the 'I'm 'very concerned about the new neighbors they just kind of look like they're from out of town does anybody know anything about them the older son looks like he might be a bit of a thug' Nextdoor app user demographic.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Used to be you were turned out of even being inside the Mickey costume because of tattoos though. True story.

Frankly, my family and I stand terrified at the thought that the furry leading the parade might not be straight edge Aryan any more. Now that Walt's dead, who knows, they might even let Them Jooz apply. Disgraceful. Scary.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tek79 posted:

Still only tapping into the 'I'm 'very concerned about the new neighbors they just kind of look like they're from out of town does anybody know anything about them the older son looks like he might be a bit of a thug' Nextdoor app user demographic.

"we're just not the United States of merica anymore!"

"How did we get so divided?"

*clutches pearls*

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A good amount of right wingers are definitely loving to pull the "Gosh how did we get so divided?" act after four years of "SUCK IT LIBS MAGA" but Rush (who is dead, and rotting) never did. Hell in the months before he died he went all in on "There is literally nothing that conservatives and liberals can agree on, not one single thing, we have absolutely nothing in common. You can't coexist with them because you can't ever find common ground with them."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Used to be you were turned out of even being inside the Mickey costume because of tattoos though. True story.

Frankly, my family and I stand terrified at the thought that the furry leading the parade might not be straight edge Aryan any more. Now that Walt's dead, who knows, they might even let Them Jooz apply. Disgraceful. Scary.

was him being an anti-Semite ever proven? like everything i read, he apperently wasn't even the people who loving hated him justifiably over the union poo poo said he never said anti Jewish stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dapper_Swindler posted:

was him being an anti-Semite ever proven? like everything i read, he apperently wasn't even the people who loving hated him justifiably over the union poo poo said he never said anti Jewish stuff.

He wasn't personally anti-Semitic, though he was sometimes aligned with groups who were.

quote:

Disney has been accused of anti-Semitism,[199][x] although none of his employees—including the animator Art Babbitt, who disliked Disney intensely—ever accused him of making anti-Semitic slurs or taunts.[201] The Walt Disney Family Museum acknowledges that ethnic stereotypes common to films of the 1930s were included in some early cartoons.[y] Disney donated regularly to Jewish charities, he was named "1955 Man of the Year" by the B'nai B'rith chapter in Beverly Hills,[202][203] and his studio employed a number of Jews, some of whom were in influential positions.[204][z] Gabler, the first writer to gain unrestricted access to the Disney archives, concludes that the available evidence does not support accusations of anti-Semitism and that Disney was "not [anti-Semitic] in the conventional sense that we think of someone as being an anti-Semite". Gabler concludes that "though Walt himself, in my estimation, was not anti-Semitic, nevertheless, he willingly allied himself with people who were anti-Semitic [meaning some members of the MPAPAI], and that reputation stuck. He was never really able to expunge it throughout his life".[205] Disney distanced himself from the Motion Picture Alliance in the 1950s.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Twelve by Pies posted:

A good amount of right wingers are definitely loving to pull the "Gosh how did we get so divided?" act after four years of "SUCK IT LIBS MAGA" but Rush (who is dead, and rotting) never did. Hell in the months before he died he went all in on "There is literally nothing that conservatives and liberals can agree on, not one single thing, we have absolutely nothing in common. You can't coexist with them because you can't ever find common ground with them."

This on the heels of 8 years of Barrack Obama literally asking Republicans to vote for passing their own legislation while they clamored for his birth certificate and called him a muslim kenyan socilaist who was gonna steal all out gunz.

"How did we get SO DIVIDED?"

Obama governed slightly to the left of Ronald Reagan and they treated him like he was Karl Marx writ large.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He wasn't personally anti-Semitic, though he was sometimes aligned with groups who were.

that sounds about right. he was a product of his time and a conservative on various issues. he is a fascinating dude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Walt was a weirdo and a piece of poo poo in a lot of ways but the jew hate stuff was mostly after the fact accusations that confused him hating labor unions (many of which, especially in his field, were heavily Jewish) with actual anti-Jewish bigotry. Like said, even his Jewish workers who grew to hate him pretty much all said 'what? no he hated us because we wanted basic dignity and labor rights he didn't give a poo poo about us being Jews, he hated the protestant and catholic guys who were with us just as much' when asked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea Walt was a weirdo and a piece of poo poo in a lot of ways but the jew hate stuff was mostly after the fact accusations that confused him hating labor unions (many of which, especially in his field, were heavily Jewish) with actual anti-Jewish bigotry. Like said, even his Jewish workers who grew to hate him pretty much all said 'what? no he hated us because we wanted basic dignity and labor rights he didn't give a poo poo about us being Jews, he hated the protestant and catholic guys who were with us just as much' when asked.

yeah pretty much and that only started because he was a weird paternalist who didnt get that times changed and he couldn't do the super "uncle walt" poo poo because of instead of like small studio and the "betrayal" snapped his brain enough that he moved on to the park design and then epcot because he kept searching for weird rear end control outlets. the whole defunctland series on him is amazing and it talks about other stuff that intersects like robert morse.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 25, 2021

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

BiggerBoat posted:

Obama governed slightly to the left of Ronald Reagan and they treated him like he was Karl Marx writ large.

Well he was black though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

King of Foolians posted:

Well he was black though.

Also our previous democratic president was to the right of Richard Nixon.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

My understanding was that Walt had nice things to say about the Third Reich and other nazi stuff before America's entrenched into ww2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A lot of Americans had pretty anti-Semitic attitudes at that time, but I don't think Walt was bad on the level of someone like Henry Ford, who is the reason the Protocols of the Elders of Zion spread in the US.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yeah, it's... complicated. It's not that Walt was actually a super cool guy or anything, but the Nazis being seen as universal villains wasn't really a thing at the time in America. They had some big fans over here, and even among those who weren't, a sizeable portion of Americans had the attitude of "eh, what they do over in Europe is their business."

It's akin to pro-life movements smearing Margaret Sanger as a eugenicist. She definitely was one - but so was virtually every scientist in America at the time. She wasn't unique in that, we as a culture loving loved the idea. Singling her out as uniquely horrible kind of erases the not-so-flattering context.

So, yeah, criticize Walt Disney all you want, dude was lovely in a lot of ways. I just find it weird how people occasionally imply that Disney was a goose-stepping full-blown Nazi sympathizer, when Henry Ford is, like, right over there, handing out pamphlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

It should be noted that Disney was one of Hoover's victims.