Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But I thought that the EU outlawed bendy bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Repost from the worthless things on wikipedia thread, I dunno what wiki page this is from.

You can play through Europe as Donkey Kong, Chunky Kong, or Lanky Kong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HookShot posted:

Canada is fully "there is no exact standard so you have to guess if it's a date that's before the 13th of any given month"

There are many things you can say about Québec, but god bless it they use more consistent systems than the rest of the country. Anglo Canada doesn't get nearly enough poo poo for functionally using a horrible mixed US system.

When I went to college in Ontario I was all ready to flex my dd/mm/yyyy skills only to realize that all the instructors and all the students use mm/dd/yyyy

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 24, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Canada really is US lite

Also here is the (terrible) Wikipedia page that I got that map from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are many things you can say about Québec, but god bless it they use more consistent systems than the rest of the country. Anglo Canada doesn't get nearly enough poo poo for functionally using a horrible mixed US system.

When I went to college in Ontario I was all ready to flex my dd/mm/yyyy skills only to realize that all the instructors and all the students use mm/dd/yyyy

yeah everything here is essentially arbitrary. height is inches, distances are KM; bodyweight is pounds if you're talking to people but KG if you're talking to a doctor; F for cooking, C for outdoor temp. All the confusion of Imperial without even being consistent about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Muscle Tracer posted:

i had an insurance co in Canada ask me for the date in MMMDDYYYY. that's right, a three-digit month.

JAN
FEB
MAR

etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Muscle Tracer posted:

yeah everything here is essentially arbitrary. height is inches, distances are KM; bodyweight is pounds if you're talking to people but KG if you're talking to a doctor; F for cooking, C for outdoor temp. All the confusion of Imperial without even being consistent about it.

This has been true everywhere I've lived or spent enough time to notice. I've seen various degrees of metric use but never been to a country that actually uses metric exclusively.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

This has been true everywhere I've lived or spent enough time to notice. I've seen various degrees of metric use but never been to a country that actually uses metric exclusively.

May I introduce you to a country called the french republic

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Haha yup, THIS. No self-respecting Frenchman is going to ever use that bullshit imperial system invented by the English when we invented the perfect system to use instead :colbert:

HookShot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 25, 2021

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
My work uses [day].[roman numeral month].[year]

example: 24.IV.2021

Does anyone else anywhere use this?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pekinduck posted:

That is the first time I have ever seen something like that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pekinduck posted:

Do you work in Ancient Rome

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Which one? Also how big are their screens, and how long does a news broadcast last?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pekinduck posted:

I think that's one of the options in Windows/Excel but luckily I've never seen it used in the wild, otherwise the only option would be :murder:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Platystemon posted:

But I thought that the EU outlawed bendy bananas.

On the contrary : Because of Brexit, the western tip of the blue banana shifted from London to Paris. It's much bendier now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BonHair posted:

I think the two systems are:

-First week is the week containing January 1st
-First week is the week containing the first Thursday of the year.

Second one is superior. But in either case, you get either some week 1 I'm the end of December or (second option) some week 52 (possibly 53?) In the beginning of January.

Oh my friend, you lucky, lucky soul.

Let me tell you about the broadcast calendar, the only calendar capable of starting the year with last years days.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 25, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If we aren't putting year first the roman numeral thing is kind of an elegant solution tbh

BonHair posted:

Which one? Also how big are their screens, and how long does a news broadcast last?

the average news broadcast lasts about an hour, one hundredish minutes, obviously

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 25, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use dozenal numerals.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If we aren't putting year first the roman numeral thing is kind of an elegant solution tbh

Only if the year begins in March

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Use dozenal numerals.

Christmas is on C-25?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Abolish years and months, use hex. See you on B4CD3 CE!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Abolish years and months, use hex. See you on B4CD3 CE!

BIVCDIII

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Use dozenal numerals.

Huh. Maybe we should switch to base 12

Pekinduck posted:

Wow

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 25, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Huh. Maybe we should switch to base 12

This is a good idea in all cases. Imagine having a third be expressible as a finite decimal.

It would require a new metric system though.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

You haven’t lived until you have abbreviated the months of September to December as “7ber” to “10ber” in the fashion of clerks in the sixteenth and seventeenth century.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Any new system would inevitably just become another alternative. No way everyone would consolidate on one system, rather it just makes things more difficult with another alternative. Same thing with OpenID, no?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Unix epoch, bitches

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

i had an insurance co in Canada ask me for the date in MMMDDYYYY. that's right, a three-digit month.

The US military used to do something similar, the standard format was something like 25APR21 but I'm told they've switched to YYYYMMDD.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Soviet Commubot posted:

The US military used to do something similar, the standard format was something like 25APR21 but I'm told they've switched to YYYYMMDD.
The US military is a Trojan horse, allowing France to inexorably supplant US culture.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Barudak posted:

Oh my friend, you lucky, lucky soul.

Let me tell you about the broadcast calendar, the only calendar capable of starting the year with last years days.

All this talk about the broadcast calendar, but none about the broadcast clock which is where the real action is. Why worry whether "3:30AM Saturday" is the 3:30AM you get staying up Friday or the 3:30AM you get staying up Saturday, when it can just be 27:30 Friday?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The US military is a Trojan horse, allowing France to inexorably supplant US culture.

I'm trying to pinpoint the exact moment in American history where people would be the most mad at you for saying this. It's either 2003, or, like, 1803.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's what the Franks do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BonHair posted:

I was curious about the screens thing, looks like the French use inches for monitor size at least.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
There's a lot of minor inch uses like screens or bicycle parts. Yards also exist in football and nowhere else

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mandoric posted:

All this talk about the broadcast calendar, but none about the broadcast clock which is where the real action is. Why worry whether "3:30AM Saturday" is the 3:30AM you get staying up Friday or the 3:30AM you get staying up Saturday, when it can just be 27:30 Friday?

.... Why not just, you know, 03:30 on Saturday? To prevent ambiguities with the time on the afternoon, you could say it's 15:30 on the Saturday

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Screens are universally in inches because the American market was the primary one I think, and no one bothered to change it. I also don't have any real understanding of what the size actually means, it's just 27 inches is a big computer screen or whatever.

Guitar hex keys are either metric or inches depending on brand and/or production location. It's annoying.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
From the top of my head, in France we only use inches for tv and computer screens, as well as car wheels :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

A Polish thing isnt it?