Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

Go into the Dark Side of the Moon listing and see which version sounds best by reviews alone :lol:

Dark Side of the Moon is a really good album but I've heard it so many times I'll probably never listen to it again. And I have a UK second pressing which was made from the same lacquers as the first pressing if I recall correctly. The only Pink Floyd stuff I ever listen to anymore is the pre-Dark Side albums and especially the first two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got this today:

I used to have an original pressing and got rid of it when I switched to CDs in the 80s. I had an Amazon gift card and figured why not? It's my favorite Dire Straits album.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I bought a shitton of records over the last however long but haven't had anywhere to/haven't had the energy to take photos. got some real good poo poo though

and a bunch of soft rock because the half-price books nearest me is the one in this metro with the absolute worst vinyl selection

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

I bought a shitton of records over the last however long but haven't had anywhere to/haven't had the energy to take photos. got some real good poo poo though

and a bunch of soft rock because the half-price books nearest me is the one in this metro with the absolute worst vinyl selection

I was at a goodwill years ago with a crap selection (but not as bad as what you see now usually), and I walked out with a copy of the muppet movie soundtrack and Air Supply - s/t, which I only grabbed because it was in really great shape. I regretted it almost as soon as I put the $2 down, cause I’ve never even thought about listening to it. It will probably end up back at the Salvation Army some day. Muppet movie soundtrack is ok though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

I was at a goodwill years ago with a crap selection (but not as bad as what you see now usually), and I walked out with a copy of the muppet movie soundtrack and Air Supply - s/t, which I only grabbed because it was in really great shape. I regretted it almost as soon as I put the $2 down, cause I’ve never even thought about listening to it. It will probably end up back at the Salvation Army some day. Muppet movie soundtrack is ok though.

You know I did just buy an Air Supply record for the same reason, and it will probably go back to goodwill too. At least I'll give it a listen first, maybe.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am actually, even as I'm buying these records, slowly working my way through listening to everything I've got (except stuff I've listened to recently or would never get rid of) to pare things down a bit

the thing with half-price around here is that they have like...ten? locations across the metropolitan area, and they almost certainly send some stock to different stores (or demographic forces are really just that strong), like, some will have way better vinyl/video game/board game sections than others. most of them will have a lockbox or special section for actually rare (or stuff they can just put a higher price on) vinyl, except the one closest to me, which has like ten would-just-be-on-the-shelf-anywhere-else $10-20 records on a rack behind the counter

The stuff I bought at the last trips to the HPB with the bad selection and one with a good selection won't do a very good job of highlighting the differences, because I didn't buy the absolute piles of karla bonoff/late-period bee gees/carol bayer sager/bread/rita coolidge/etc records they had laying around, nor did I buy the extremely overpriced but far more interesting records at the other location but

bought on the last trip to the land of soft rock:
CSN - 1st/self-titled
Billy Joel - The Stranger (my $1 goodwill copy sounds like poo poo, these first two were on the aforementioned rack)
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty, Hold Out
Peter Cetera - Solitude/Solitaire
Gerry Rafferty - City to City
Fun Boy Three - s/t
Toto - s/t
Fred Schneider & the Shake Society - s/t (okay, this one's the outlier, I have no idea how it got there)

bought at another location whose main focus seemed to be pristine hair-metal and custom-van-adjacent records for extreme prices ($40 for Diver Down? $30 for Out of the Cellar???! $100+ for Dr. Feelgood?!?!?!?!?!) but also had pop and rock records from groups people still recognize in this day and age:
ELO - ELO Ole (bought mostly so I can not put on Face the Music and get blindsided by Dixie again)
999 - Greatest Prize in Sport
Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Bach II (you never see a copy of 2 kicking around)
Yes - 90125

e: when I said "real good poo poo" in the previous post, I got records besides what's in these lists, no need to get mean

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fully vaccinated so I did what any other person would do: spent two hours digging through uncategorized musty records at the local store.

Walked away with an OG pressing of Lou Donaldson's Mr. Shing-a-Ling, a Leon Thomas record that is a replacement for a super beat-up copy I already own, and a random Weather Report album that had some bonus artwork included:

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/lHzQZMb.jpg:nws:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

last few pages have been really entertaining to read

Seems like the PS1 was like the PS2 (dvd) or PS3 (blu-ray). Just a decent media player that also gets the bonus of being a Playstation. I do remember reading about audiophile hype with the PS1, but I think I mostly learned it on here.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Today I got an American Top 40 radio show on vinyl, and at the beginning of each side there's a loud rear end beep - does anybody know what this is for?

I have two ideas - either it's for cueing up the start of the side as soon as the old side ends.

The other thing is speed calibration.

But I don't know. It's weird.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Today I got an American Top 40 radio show on vinyl, and at the beginning of each side there's a loud rear end beep - does anybody know what this is for?

I have two ideas - either it's for cueing up the start of the side as soon as the old side ends.

Please post many detailed photos, that sounds cool

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Maybe it’s to indicate that it’s not for re-broadcast? Like an FCC thing? Or is for broadcast?

And lol at the weather report rat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you're just listening to CD's on the PS1 does it still give you the boot logo and sound clip when you turn it on?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

If you're just listening to CD's on the PS1 does it still give you the boot logo and sound clip when you turn it on?

Yes. And it’s obnoxious to use in general.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Went to the mall to get a haircut, also walked out with some Canadian lads. My collection is now ever so slightly more cancon compliant :canada:

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Ballz posted:

a random Weather Report album

Jaco absolutely shines on Birdland, playing that bass like it’s an electric guitar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think my receiver is starting to go again, possibly for good

it's not outputting anything on the right-hand channel unless I punch it over to mono

like, I get it, it's a 25-30-year-old piece of equipment.

I'll have to dust it out again and see if that helps.

if not, what are some good suggestions for a new one? I don't have much patience for trawling ebay/thrift stores, though I could see if the shop where I bought my speakers is selling anything that won't cost an arm and a leg

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

it's not outputting anything on the right-hand channel unless I punch it over to mono

if not, what are some good suggestions for a new one? I don't have much patience for trawling ebay/thrift stores, though I could see if the shop where I bought my speakers is selling anything that won't cost an arm and a leg

I bought one of the Yamaha 303s based on suggestions from the audio equipment thread. Haven't run it much so far but it does everything I need it to and comes with a poo poo ton more that I don't use like bluetooth and wifi and all sorts of weird settings for some music streaming services I've never heard of.

It was most likely this one on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074F246M9/?coliid=I2MJ94TSTNYNG5&colid=31YSOLDE888P4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Do you have a separate phono pre-amp, or do you need one built-in?

Newer equipment with the latter seems to come at a premium compared to vintage, but I’m still new to this.

Big fan of rotel.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Newer equipment with the latter seems to come at a premium compared to vintage, but I’m still new to this.

I think that was true a few years ago but pretty much every current gen receiver has a phono stage. An awful lot of them at least, and at all price points.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

doing some basic browsing, there's a lot of stuff that'll suffice, but I feel like I'm downgrading if I don't get one with all the bells and whistles of the one I'm replacing (radio tuning with preset buttons, big ol' EQ with sliders [knobs also acceptable] on each band) even though I know for a fact that I'm not going to find that sort of thing without spending beaucoup dollars

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I think that was true a few years ago but pretty much every current gen receiver has a phono stage. An awful lot of them at least, and at all price points.

Guess it just seems like there's a huge gap of equipment lacking the phono stage (probably coincides with the decline in popularity of vinyl late 80s/early 90s)

This might have serve better in the "make fun of audiophiles" thread, but I've heard, ideally, you want them as separate pieces of hard due to electrical interference, etc. Could you tell the difference? prob not. I'd never get a turntable with a built-in phono stage myself, anyway.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

hexwren posted:

Someone in this thread recommended the eMotiva TA100 last time I asked. I bought it. It's really good.

https://emotiva.com/products/ta-100

If has a narrow set of features, but does them very well. Also functions as a preamp in case you want to expand your system later.

midge fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 25, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A month or so ago somebody here posted about acid-free taping that can be used to help fix seam splits. Anyone got a link or more info on it? If I recall the adhesive is meant to be placed INSIDE the sleeve and helped reinforce it from any record rattling around inside.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

A month or so ago somebody here posted about acid-free taping that can be used to help fix seam splits. Anyone got a link or more info on it? If I recall the adhesive is meant to be placed INSIDE the sleeve and helped reinforce it from any record rattling around inside.

I bought some of this for a recent framing project, it may suit your needs.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Ballz posted:

Was it this?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That’s what I use. Great product

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That'd be it, thanks!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Has anyone ever ordered something from Europe and had it take a month to show up or should I just assume it's lost forever? I bought a record from a German seller a month ago and it's still in limbo, meanwhile I bought a record from a different Germany a couple weeks after that one and it showed up in under two weeks.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 25, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Has anyone ever ordered something from Europe and had it take a month to show up or should I just assume it's lost forever? I bought a record from a German seller a month ago and it's still in limbo meanwhile I bought a record from a different German a couple weeks after that one and it showed up in under two weeks.

Yea. What usually ends up happening is when I order stuff from Europe private sellers end up in the Chicago sorting center for awhile because it’s going through customs. If it’s a legit business though it seems like they get fast tracked through.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Yea. What usually ends up happening is when I order stuff from Europe private sellers end up in the Chicago sorting center for awhile because it’s going through customs. If it’s a legit business though it seems like they get fast tracked through.

I don't mind waiting as long as I actually get the record but so far the tracking doesn't even indicate that it's in the US.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Has anyone ever ordered something from Europe and had it take a month to show up or should I just assume it's lost forever? I bought a record from a German seller a month ago and it's still in limbo, meanwhile I bought a record from a different Germany a couple weeks after that one and it showed up in under two weeks.

(Gestures at that poster print ordeal from last year)

Even after getting it shipped in whatever they call priority air mail for $60, it took 9 weeks to get here from Germany.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 25, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

meanwhile I bought a record from a different Germany
goddamn it really is taking a long time, that hasn't been a thing since 1990

e: bringing a gift from the comic strip thread

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 25, 2021

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

dorium posted:

Yup, I recently ordered some records from a discogs seller in Denmark and the package spent weeks in Chicago before finally being delivered.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

Maybe it’s to indicate that it’s not for re-broadcast? Like an FCC thing? Or is for broadcast?

And lol at the weather report rat.

It's for broadcast. On the disc, it says it's only licensed to fire one time broadcast at the designated time and is not for resale...

Oh poo poo. I've got hot goods! ABC Radio is totally gonna come and gently caress me up. All because I listened to a record I wasn't licensed to.

Vinyl records - not even once.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's for broadcast. On the disc, it says it's only licensed to fire one time broadcast at the designated time and is not for resale...

Oh poo poo. I've got hot goods! ABC Radio is totally gonna come and gently caress me up. All because I listened to a record I wasn't licensed to.

Vinyl records - not even once.

Heheh my crate of "For Real Professional DJs Only" records -- I may possess them but may not listen unless I'm a certified professional. I bet there's a ton of questionable IP on those records to begin with, starting with a fake version of Afrika Bambaata "borrowing" a whole instrumental bridge from Kraftwerk, of course. And then talking nonstop smack about them for decades.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 25, 2021

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I order a lot of cassette tapes off Discogs because I’m a massive idiot. Just getting them from Italy (where apparently all cassette sellers are located) to here in Finland has taken between 6-10 weeks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve got something coming from Germany and I’m cool with it taking weeks as long as it’s normal practice and it’s packed properly for the hike. I was getting a little worried because something I bought earlier last week on discogs wasn’t even marked as paid yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

goddamn it really is taking a long time, that hasn't been a thing since 1990

lol

I meant to say "Different German seller".

Rolo posted:

I’ve got something coming from Germany and I’m cool with it taking weeks as long as it’s normal practice and it’s packed properly for the hike. I was getting a little worried because something I bought earlier last week on discogs wasn’t even marked as paid yet.

Discogs can get wonky sometimes. I've had stuff that was listed as payment pending where the seller sent me a tracking number already. Anyway, I've ordered stuff from Germany a bunch of times and it actually gets here pretty quick. So between that and it not even being listed as having entered the US I'm wondering if my poo poo is just lost.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

lol

I meant to say "Different German seller".

Discogs can get wonky sometimes. I've had stuff that was listed as payment pending where the seller sent me a tracking number already. Anyway, I've ordered stuff from Germany a bunch of times and it actually gets here pretty quick. So between that and it not even being listed as having entered the US I'm wondering if my poo poo is just lost.

Again I point you to my posters last year. Go look at the linked post, they were in a black hole for over a month after being accepted at Frankfurt. If it hasn’t been 8 weeks yet I’d just be patient.

On the subject: I mailed something to my friend, domestic mail, on January 11. It was last scanned January 12. I still have hope that it will be delivered but it’s dwindling with each passing day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Checked out the closest Goodwill for vinyl for the first time....shitload of Barbra Streisand, Broadway musicals, Bill Cosby, and classical music. I did score this for $2 though!