Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Authority urges you to assert and reassert your dominance over those around you. It enables you to understand the power dynamics of groups of thugs

Perhaps it is because the police are simply another group of "thugs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Perhaps it is because the police are simply another group of "thugs".

Doubly so for the RCM, which is an extortion-based street gang formed out of the remnants of the fallen communist army that tricked the Coalition, Revachol West and themselves into thinking that they were real police.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Man, the "solve the case without inspecting the body" trophy is surprisingly easy to miss out on even if you satisfy the main condition. The only way to trigger it is to respond to the accusation that you smell like a corpse by bragging that you solved the case without even getting close to the body. But that option only comes up if you claim that you've quit drinking forever. My Harry on this run had decidedly not quit drinking forever, but thankfully I had a save from right before that I could reload.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have two questions, both pragmatic, about the game itself.

First, is there some trick to fast travel with the map item or is it only once, once per day, or what. I spent like twenty minutes dicking around to try and stand on the right pixel. I am sure Kim considered this normal.

Second, for somewhat later in the story. How do I let Kim into the basement of the concrete building? I found an unfortunate ending instead, but there was no clear way to let him in. I did manage to reach the roof. Is the pipe better for this?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
To use fast travel you must be in one of the three areas (in front of the church, by the washer woman, by the entrance to Whirling/thecar), if you've done it right when you open the map the other areas nameplates are look more solid and can be clicked on.

For your second question Around the bottom of the screen or south or whatever of the ground floor you end up in is the entrace/exit that is the pipe. Also your way of backing out of the tunnel if you need to. That should let Kim in. IIRC

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Finally replaying this for the first time since release. Looking at my build then I went 5/1/2/4. Thinking of trying out a 1/5/5/1 build but wondering if i'll be hamstringing myself

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Those are the best stat lines, do it

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Fascism quest:

Been talking to Rene as part of the fash vision quest and at the end of his dialogue tree a red check for Pain Threshold appeared, which I promptly ignored so that I could equip the right sort of gear. The game made it clear that the check wouldn't come back if I exited the screen so I instead reloaded the game to have another crack at it, but try as I might I can't seem to get the check to appear again despite seemingly exhausting every possible option/combo in his dialogue tree during the exchange. Is there a passive check I'm missing on here? Anyone know how to get this check to appear?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want a soundbite of Half Light going HOOOOLY gently caress so bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Those are the best stat lines, do it

Thinking of going extremely heavily into inland empire and electro chemistry with it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jose posted:

Thinking of going extremely heavily into inland empire and electro chemistry with it

good choice op

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

As someone following a similar gameplay trajectory to you, Half Light and Physical Instrument have gone from being complete nonentities on my first run to the two loudest voices in my head in the best way; a build focusing on those two with Authority, Inland and Shivers as your backups has been a tonne of fun so far. Throw in some fascist leanings and start mumbling about the Apocalypse whenever you get the chance and you have a solid John Constantine build

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pablo gbscobar posted:

As someone following a similar gameplay trajectory to you, Half Light and Physical Instrument have gone from being complete nonentities on my first run to the two loudest voices in my head in the best way; a build focusing on those two with Authority, Inland and Shivers as your backups has been a tonne of fun so far. Throw in some fascist leanings and start mumbling about the Apocalypse whenever you get the chance and you have a solid John Constantine build

Already going heavy on the apocalypse stuff but I don't think I can bring myself to be particularly fascist

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

Already going heavy on the apocalypse stuff but I don't think I can bring myself to be particularly fascist

Kinda same, but the game does give you an out for it (the fascism thought damages your morale every time you say overtly bigoted stuff) and from what I've played so far the vision quest is absolutely batshit in the best possible way and has been a really good satire of fash thought. The devs definitely know what they're doing in that regard.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Grouchio posted:

I want a soundbite of Half Light going HOOOOLY gently caress so bad.

This is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgItDlWsfr4&t=1709s

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Nessus posted:

I have two questions, both pragmatic, about the game itself.

First, is there some trick to fast travel with the map item or is it only once, once per day, or what. I spent like twenty minutes dicking around to try and stand on the right pixel. I am sure Kim considered this normal.

I'm not 100% sure but it also seems like you can't fast travel at all around the time of the tribunal and possibly after? Otherwise it's just stand near one of the travel points and open the map (and if you're using a controller, hit right on the d-pad to highlight the travel points).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pablo gbscobar posted:

ok physical instrument the first time you meet cuno has already made it worth it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If I want to skip straight to the vision quests, what are the prereqs?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If I want to skip straight to the vision quests, what are the prereqs?

You have to opt in to a political thought by the end of day 3. The vision quests begin overnight between day 3 and 4.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
As a brand new player is there any reason to stick with one of the default character builds vs. making your own? I did the latter and started with a balanced charachter, but I’ve only played for about an hour and kinda wondering if I should restart with a preset, which seems like it had more defined weaknesses,

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You can play a balanced character but honestly, yeah, I'd restart. Custom can be fun but make it MORE unbalanced!

The only build Id even come close to saying to avoid is maxxed Int/Phys since they don't have great synergies, although it is still really fun to play because any build is. Its probably a good build for a fascist, actually, all that rhetoric and the toughness to use it..

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 25, 2021

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Not all stats are as equally entertaining. Here's my rundown on the funniest and chattiest skills.

Best buds:

Inland empire: For the weirdness and the deep lore. You *have* to do an Inland run at least once, it's so worth it. You won't understand what's going on and that's the point.
Half-Light: To become the most violent rear end in a top hat possible. Doesn't always end well.
Conceptualization: Like a modern art teacher commenting your every move, not very useful but very entertaining.
Encyclopedia: For a lot of useless world-lore, more useless details, names of fictional countries, serial numbers of old machinery and Contact Mike.
Drama: To have your own little drama queen spice up your life and analyze your enemies, sire.
Authority: To become an olympic level uncompromising dickhead cop. So over the top that it becomes awesome.
Esprit de corps: For those who love Kim and cop lore.
Physical instrument: To have your own personal alcoholic gym teacher bossing you around.
Electrochemistry: This guy has one of the best voices. Disco through and through. Some of the narrator's best work.
Shivers: For Martinaise and Revachol lore, some spooky stuff too.
Interfacing: That guy that can't resist that shiny, shiny red button. He's just so happy to touch everything you come upon.
Composure: This guy doesn't get the spotlight enough. I really enjoyed when he piped up. He knows everything about you, has never forgotten anything you've ever done. But he won't tell you anything. A no-nonsense, straight-shooting guy that only wants you to stop melting down every 3 seconds.
Empathy: Very touching. You'll feel the world through your heart. The writing is very good with this one.

Lame buds:

Logic: Useful but boring. Being dumb as hell and failing is hilarious.
Rhetoric: This guy always gives you the worst advice possible and makes things political. IMO the game is already political enough and this guy doesn't open up that much interesting content. I was hoping for more.
Volition: Really well written but a total buzzkill. Sometimes he shuts down your wackier skills and blocks content. The best friend of any boring cop or wannabe sober cop.
Suggestion: Like a lame mix of rethoric, drama and empathy. Meh.
Hand/Eye: Barely gets any checks, like a lot of other yellow skills, sadly.
Perception: You get a little more visual/smell/hearing cues during conversations but never really gets much interesting special going.
Reaction speed: Doesn't get enough action, sometimes opens up interesting details during interrogations though, where it can shine.
Savoir-faire: Does this guy even exist, he almost never speaks up.

What do ya'll think

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

tripwood posted:

Rhetoric: This guy always gives you the worst advice possible and makes things political. IMO the game is already political enough and this guy doesn't open up that much interesting content. I was hoping for more.

You forgot your stomach, bröther, and also saying the fascist thing instead of loving off(!) or saying the communist thing(!!!)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

tripwood posted:

Not all stats are as equally entertaining. Here's my rundown on the funniest and chattiest skills.

Lame buds:

Perception: You get a little more visual/smell/hearing cues during conversations but never really gets much interesting special going.

You can miss a lot of stuff if you have low perception. For example, you won't even be able to see the broken tape and the broken window in your room.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Volition may be a buzzkill but he's always got your back and understands exactly why it's so important for you to build communism.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

I can literally never do this after learning about how he lives.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I also like that Volition has a different twang to its lines. The voice actor either takes away some of the gravel from his voice, or there's some audio engineering going on. Really makes it stand out.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Perception is absolutely necessary, raise that guy literally on every run

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's no one "right" way to play the game but I think the way I'd recommend playing DE is to do a couple runs with different stat buildouts and try to get to the end and experience the content as it comes and let the dice fall where they may.

After that you can start setting goals or stuff you wanna see the results of. Like going for the closest thing to the perfect scooby doo ending where you go sober, get over the sad thing, solve the case fully/properly, become besties with Kim, etc. Then just full communist/fascist runs, etc

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Is there an updated max stats/superman save for the final cut build avaliable? I've completed the game a couple of times already and want to experiment with it that way.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Rookoo posted:

Is there an updated max stats/superman save for the final cut build avaliable? I've completed the game a couple of times already and want to experiment with it that way.

Pretty sure there is no "offical" mode for that but apparently you can easily change some text file to do it

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gonna agree with the others here that Perception is actually really good. It's also really easy to raise with thoughts; my current run only has a 1 in Motorics but I have Perception at 5 thanks to the thought cabinet.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

SilkyP posted:

Pretty sure there is no "offical" mode for that but apparently you can easily change some text file to do it

Just did it there with a bit of digging, not to difficult thankfully, cheers.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just closed out day 2 on my Final Cut playthrough with a 2/4/4/2 build that currently has 10 shivers, 8 conceptualization, 8 espirit de corps, 8 perception, 6 inland empire, 6 empathy, and 6 electrochemistry. I'm feeling good about where day three will lead me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Your body craves the loving embrace of designer sportswear.

I never had done a high phys run till recently and my physical instrument constantly praising high performance sportswear never got old

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I abandoned my first playthrough (2/6/2/2) maybe 8 hours in, back around launch. Started again recently with a 4/4/2/2 build and everything's really clicking for me!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The moment when Cuno stops telling you to gently caress off with showing him dumb poo poo and gets excited about figuring out the broken mug clue is a wholesome moment.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish I could do more to defer to Cuno as his loyal pig after giving him speed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have completed the video game. It was a class act throughout. I probably went faster than I had to, but I was motivated to solve the case. I only saw the seams in the narrative once, when I ran into something I was probably supposed to encounter very early in the game, instead, very late. That being the side room next to Klassje's place, which I only busted into after the tribunal and everything. I also suspect I was supposed to enter it from below, which would have made some things make a little more sense. Even so, it was only slightly disjointed.

I thought that the game was going to be significantly more didactic than it was. I mean this as praise. It was certainly a political work, but it was less... indoctrinating in tone, I suppose, than I expected from reading discussions of the game in passing.

A few notes and thoughts from later in the game.

I actually had gotten a game over from Ruby's death ray. I assume if Kim is not there to absorb some of the force it just kills you, or possibly you are driven irretrievably mad. Unfortunately, for me, Ruby shot herself.

Gary truly was my lucky racist. The tribunal was perhaps the most brutal thing I had seen in one of these situations and I am not ashamed to say that the text after being shot reminded me of my own experiences with major injury, to the point where I had to take a break. It was not a long break, because by the time I had to get up and walk around a little, I had saved Kim. The game really does make you love Kim.

I knew the phasmid was coming and I even knew approximately where and when, and it still loving got me. I appreciated the cosmic note of what was going on, but what did confuse me a little is why the phasmid seemed to be strengthening the deserter somehow... I thought it was going to be some kind of psychovore, perhaps either feeding on his strong emotions or providing some other buttressing, but it really seems like it might have just been a side effect of long term exposure. What I did appreciate with this too was that the deserter had plenty of reason to be doing what he did, and a motive and a personality behind it, and the entire thing hung together even without the phasmid.

The cosmic presentation of what the phasmid told you made a lot of sense to me. In particular, the comparison to the oxygen devastation, and how there were no trees that eat thoughts. Then again, perhaps if the phasmid did eat thoughts, this would be the augury of something new. A psychovoric ecology. I had also expected that the game would snap away Kim's singular photo of the drat thing, but no! As far as I can tell as of game end, the phasmid was entirely correct.

On a second playthrough I will avoid becoming Cuno's bitch, if such a thing is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
On the skills, personally, I can't rate Conceptualization high enough as a non-investigation skill that you want on the side. It's absolutely hilarious every time it intervenes, (very) occasionally useful, and I loved the whole art-cop thing. Not to mention how Actual Art Degree is possibly the objectively best written thought in the cabinet.

I played Sensitive so only had a max of 2 in Conceptualization (at the start at least), but I loved the idea so pushed it further with drugs/xp abuse and clothing. That was brilliant already, I'll have to go full whack with it on a rerun.