Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
So I messed up a bit; I have my electrolyzers setup with a feed from a water geyser as well as from a giant overflow reservoir for when the geyser is dormant but like a dummy I accidentally built the reservoir pump out of copper instead of gold amalgam. Now is there is a way for my dupes to replace it without getting scalded. I REALLY dont want to drain the whole reservoir to replace this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

TommyGun85 posted:

So I messed up a bit; I have my electrolyzers setup with a feed from a water geyser as well as from a giant overflow reservoir for when the geyser is dormant but like a dummy I accidentally built the reservoir pump out of copper instead of gold amalgam. Now is there is a way for my dupes to replace it without getting scalded. I REALLY dont want to drain the whole reservoir to replace this thing.

Force the dupes to access it via atmosuit dock? Could also run a cooling loop through the upper portion of the reservoir and extend it downwards as the water cools off

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Or accept that some scalding will happen, but use the door access to make sure your best builder can nip in, fix it, and get out with only medium wounds. Then shove them in a triage cot til they heal up and you're done. Build a hospital (toilet/basin is fine, a mess table and a triage cot or 2) and you soon learn that dupes can tolerate stuff like digging out part of the 75C oil biome with no atmo-suit enough to get the first oil well plumbed in. They just need a little lie down afterwards. And maybe one in the middle.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If there's space, maybe build the pump directly below the existing reservoir, put a floor under it and wall it in, then remove the floor of the existing reservoir. Your dupes would only have to be in the hot water long enough to mine or deconstruct a tile or two. That's a lot quicker than going down there and installing a new pump underwater. Then later you send a guy down there in an atmosuit to make it look pretty (remove the old pump and the rest of the old reservoir bottom, etc.).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a way for me to hand over the OP to someone else to edit? Feels bad that I made this ages ago and haven't updated it since.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Qubee posted:

Is there a way for me to hand over the OP to someone else to edit? Feels bad that I made this ages ago and haven't updated it since.
As a fan of ONI I am willing to attempt to invoke dark magic to do this if someone wants to volunteer. It might make more sense if it's just a new thread though - there's a new DLC and everything. (I haven't played it yet.)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

As a fan of ONI I am willing to attempt to invoke dark magic to do this if someone wants to volunteer. It might make more sense if it's just a new thread though - there's a new DLC and everything. (I haven't played it yet.)

Awesome, glad to hear it. Thread deserves some love and I've been pretty terrible at keeping the OP up to date as I've rarely played this much.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Trying to transfer the current thread and having it break the forums would be very ONI.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
wow, ranching pufts and using the slime to grow mushrooms is so much easier than messing with the water and temp requirements of berries.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I need some help with power transformer.

I have a setup where a bank of generators supplies power to a bank of smart batteries; the smart batteries supply two transformers with each transformer supplying its own smart battery for that circuit.

What I wanr to happen is that the upstream SBs store a lot of backup power so my generators dont have to run and that the consumers on each circuit draw from the downstream batteries but this is not whats happening. If one circuit is active it pulls directly from the upstream batteries...if I have to circuits active, one of them will not work at all.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Post some screenshots, but I can already say you're breaking the "generator --> battery --> transformer --> load" design pattern. You want your power to stay as fuel for as long as possible, then avoid letting batteries dump out more power than your wires can handle.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

've been using a much more flexible power grid (mostly due to lack of refined metals to spare).
First, you need to think in terms of producers and consumers - batteries don't count, they are just buffers. The worst wire in a circuit is the limit for producers or consumers, and a battery in the circuit will provide infinite wattage if requested. Transformers act as one-way limiters, so if your only power source for a circuit is from a transformer, you are safe. You can connect another circuit off the back with a transformer, but if you have a battery on that circuit then the transformer counts as a full 1kW consumer and can burn it out.

The way around this issue is to have consumer-free distribution cables that start end end in transformers only, and have no batteries (and ideally no consumers). The receiver can then have anything up to a small stretch of heavi-watt and several big batteries followed by several more transformers. That's how I deal with Spaced Out solar early on for example. 2 panels = 1 small wire into a transformer, a collector array of batteries & transformers just under the surface. These feed a transformer onto a single 1kW carrier that heads down to the main battery bank in the base (coming in through another transformer).
That then has transformers that initially feed small circuits, but as the base expands these change into a 1kW local distribution line that feed 2-3 leaf circuits (with a transformer, a battery, then <1kW or <2kW if using conductive) As long as the cumulative average draw of the leaves is <1kW, then the single thin line is all it needs to keep a section of the base running.

Source (transformer->) distribution wire -> 2 or 3x[ (transformer->) Battery + consumers (1kW/2kW max depending on the wire on this circuit only)]

The battery can automate the transformer to only draw when needed, but they pretty much do anyway. there is a big caveat in this - if the leaf nodes start drawing alot, or the source runs dry for a long period, then it is random what order the batteries in the leaf circuits power up, and the final circuit wont even start charging the battery until all the others are full/automated off.

(I'll try to get some pics if I get time)

Edit: Rereading the problem I think this is the root of your problem. The downstream circuits share the charging wire, but one (closest? first built? random?) will draw the full 1kW until any batteries on its circuit are full, then it drops to the local draw. Any left over (1kw - 1st circuit use if you don't automate) is then available for the next transformer, and so on.
That's why I limit it to 2 or 3 per distribution wire, else the lag can mean the 4th+ time you try to string a new circuit on the end, it just never charges up.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 25, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don't understand why you're using two layers of transformers. Only consumers matter for total wire load; producers feeding into batteries are free.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Shumagorath posted:

I don't understand why you're using two layers of transformers. Only consumers matter for total wire load; producers feeding into batteries are free.

You can make smaller circuits that consume <1kW, use less metals, and can grow organically - kinda like my spaghetti plumbing.
My base is currently something like:
code:

Solar->1kw wire
    ->Transformers -> HW wire - Batteries
           Outgoing transfomers:
                      1 to local power (doors/pumps)
                      2 paired + conductive wire giving 2kW feed down into:

Main base battery bank (all heavi-watt)

which then has outgoing feeds like:
code:

-> Transformer 
       - 1kW wire
             -> Transformer -> battery + 960kW disco, 1kw wire
             -> Transformer -> Battery + metal refinery + auto sweeper + door, conductive wire
             -> Transformer -> Battery + gas grill + electric grill + auto sweepers, 1kw wire
-> Transformer
    - 1kW wire
            -> T -> Battery + Water plant (sieves-desalination)
            -> T -> Battery + Oxygen gen + atmo suit docks

etc. added as it grows.

The transformers here are primarily acting as diodes to stop any power flowing back, and limiting input/output levels. As long as the battery gets enough power during the day to cover the intermittent usage, you can power all these things with minimal metal use.

Once oil biome is cracked and you get a bunch of cheap lead, the distribution branches can be upped to 2kw wire, 2 transformers paired at the front end.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2021

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
How do I get my dupes to fill critter feeders evenly. They basically fill one box to full and ignore the other 5. Setting up automation for this is way down on my list of projects.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

They'll always head to the closest feeder if there's space in it and they're all the same priority. You can micromanage priorities until you have enough stored feed built up to not get shortages in the furthest bins while the closest are being filled.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
IMO, "evenly" doesn't really happen in ONI. Ever. If you have multiple receptacles (supplied by dupes), they will almost always be uneven. The best you can do is have few mostly-full than many barely-full.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Automate it, or flood it with resources. Feeders are small, so having a storage bin set to equal priority close to all the ranches, so tidiers fill that up when they can, and the ranchers then have only a short walk to fill the feeders.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TommyGun85 posted:

How do I get my dupes to fill critter feeders evenly. They basically fill one box to full and ignore the other 5. Setting up automation for this is way down on my list of projects.

Automating it is generally pretty easy - get the storage bin relatively close to the feeders, and then just put a sweeper in to keep them full. Even with one storage bin per ranch, the fact that the dupes will carry larger loads to the storage bin cuts down on a lot of labor.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I really love this game. I can start it, intending to play for an hour or so, and next thing I know, it's 6 hours later.

I've put a ton of time in a couple of bases (like I think my first base was 50ish hours?) and I have never made it into Space. Which is also why I made myself STOP playing it. I get too engrossed in it.

What I want to do is.....Does anyone know of a Cheat Engine table that will just let me set certain Duplicants Athletics to max? I always end up getting bogged down, and annoyed because there is poo poo just cluttering the ground everywhere.

I just want to set myself up with a handful of Super-Janitors. I do want to "beat" the game, at least once.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No, but I know Francis John on YouTube often sets up rooms with nothing but hamster wheels just powering ceiling lights and uses priorities and door permissions to make new dupes, and only new dupes, to do nothing but run on them until their athletic skills rise to a wanted level.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

I really love this game. I can start it, intending to play for an hour or so, and next thing I know, it's 6 hours later.

I've put a ton of time in a couple of bases (like I think my first base was 50ish hours?) and I have never made it into Space. Which is also why I made myself STOP playing it. I get too engrossed in it.

What I want to do is.....Does anyone know of a Cheat Engine table that will just let me set certain Duplicants Athletics to max? I always end up getting bogged down, and annoyed because there is poo poo just cluttering the ground everywhere.

I just want to set myself up with a handful of Super-Janitors. I do want to "beat" the game, at least once.

https://robophred.github.io/oni-duplicity/#/

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

I usually end up quutting or starting over around cycle 300 because my base isnt layed out exactly how I want it and it feels easier to just start over than make renovations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, but I know Francis John on YouTube often sets up rooms with nothing but hamster wheels just powering ceiling lights and uses priorities and door permissions to make new dupes, and only new dupes, to do nothing but run on them until their athletic skills rise to a wanted level.

Thank you both. I will try these out.

I just hate seeing poo poo laying around ALL OVER THE drat PLACE, when I have priorities set up for cleaning/storing.

A few times, I've shut down all operations and set EVERYONE to storing, and days later, hardly a dent is made. I really love this game, I guess I just suck at it!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Are you making storage rooms with tons of compactors? The ore-droppers into a pit? Do all your dupes have the first two levels of the picking-up skill (not tidying, the one locking atmosuits)?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Johnny Aztec posted:

A few times, I've shut down all operations and set EVERYONE to storing, and days later, hardly a dent is made. I really love this game, I guess I just suck at it!

Dupes are really bad at this and the stuff on the ground can easily take like 50 storage containers so it's better to just clean up the areas they work in and leave the rest of the poo poo on the ground. It's not at all an easy clean like rimworld.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah all your dupes that are sweeping should have the skills, or their carry capacity will be terrible.

If you have a ton of stuff on the ground, like you mined out one whole side of the map and it's all at the bottom, either leave it there, or if you really want to put it into a stack, use a loader->dispenser chain (where each dispenser drops it just out of reach of the previous auto loader). That's a million times faster than dupes to move everything into one pile.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Playing the new Terra start on Spaced out array, the two initial asteroids are Terra (with water but no oil) and Swamp (with oil but no water sources). Both have volcanoes. Does it make more sense to refine oil (either by boiler or refinery) in the Swamp asteroid and then transfer it to Terra, or do everything in Terra? Both have Iron, but Swamp doesn't have coal so the industrial base will probably be on Terra.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I guess it depends where you want to sink the heat from the hot petroleum. I'd personally do that in an existing industrial brick, so it sounds like Terra is your best bet.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Depends how you deal with the oil. I pump the oil back to the starting asteroid so I can use the volcanoes to boil it sustainably.
The third asteroid has no water sources, so I've made a wild arbor tree farm which appears to be sustaining 3 dupes with spicy tofu quite nicely.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yeah, it's gonna be on the starting asteroid, as well as the natural gas from the wells.

I must say: I like the DLC, but I don't love atmo suits wearing out. Seems an unnecessary time sink to me, and another point of failure (I had mydrecko farm outside of the main base, past suit docks, so when I ran out of reed fiber I couldn't fix any suits and couldn't get more fiber either)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can see where they were going in that reed fibre needs a use once you've stuffed paintings everywhere in your suits-only base, but I also see it as an implicit kill of the suits-only base.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's an interesting change. I haven't tried the dlc yet. I feel like keeping dreckos around ain't so bad and you can probably smooth it over by just having extra suits.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dreckos could just live in your containment area too. They don't bite. It'd actually be kinda nice because you could use the high pressure oxygen of your bedroom area to keep the hydrogen in place for the coats without disrupting the mealwood.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I haven't really used atmo suits at all.
I had the swamp start so I only had lead suits until the 3rd asteroid, and I only use them while working on the oil wells and petroleum boiler. The asteroids are pretty small so it's not bad pressurising everywhere anyway. Just the occasional unprotected run through the vacuum of space when required...

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Had a peek at the test server release notes, and looks like food storage is getting a kicking. No more infinite diagonal chlorine holes, as the food will need to be frozen as well as sterile atmosphere, and the diagonal fetching is being removed (while diagonal building is being 'improved')

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If I don't have to learn the radiation stuff to progress normally through the vanilla game, that'll make me get back into it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

insta posted:

If I don't have to learn the radiation stuff to progress normally through the vanilla game, that'll make me get back into it.

Radiation stuff is easy for the basics. I just put a single collector next to a natural wheezewort, and direct it diagonally into the reasearch bench. Add an automation switch and set it to red and then goo do other stuff. After a while it will have stored>100 radbolts, so flick the switch to blast the bench twice, then power up the bench and let the dupes in. Repeat that every 10 points of rad research you need and you are sorrted. Getting enough dirt has been far more troublesome than radiation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I have a rad bolt generator pointed into an atomic collider. I haven’t been able to catch the point the generator becomes full, but after many cycles the collider still says 0 radbolts and the research I have queued up shows no atomic progress. Do you need the deflector things in between or something?

Edit: nm, looks like the generators lose all their collected energy if they lose power for a second.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New patch, RIP carbon dioxide food pits:

quote:

Hello everyone!

Where has the time gone? It's May already and would you believe this is the 6th update we've put out this year!

Since Early Access began, we've expanded on the space gameplay, added a bunch of new asteroids to the cluster map, and created new Spaced Out- and Classic-style starting asteroids. We’ve launched the entire radiation system, including radbolt infrastructure, research reactors, and Beetas. We've put in railguns, revised rocket parts for interplanetary infrastructure, and restored sustainability to the late-game. And now, we're putting radiation into your farms with...

The Peculiar Plants Update for Spaced Out! This Update introduces a whole new layer to farming, and allows you to utilize radiation for the good of your Duplicants’ tummies! There's also a number of radiation related (and unrelated!) tuning and balance changes, and new logistics options with the Meter Valves!

First, Plant Mutations are a brand new feature that integrates radiation with farming gameplay. There are now several strains of mutant seed that crop plants can drop when grown in radiation. Once analyzed at the new Botanical Analyzer, plants grown from these seeds will offer new trade-offs or efficiencies for your farms.

Along with updates to the farming economy, we've also made a number of changes and bug fixes to food preservation. Fridges are more effective at prolonging your food (and don't have so many bugs in them), and a more thorough mastery of temperature and atmosphere is required to fully preserve food.

Newly added Meter Valves have been added to allow sending specific amounts of material down your liquid, gas, and solid piping. Research Reactors' internal physics have also been updated, so you might want to double-check your colony's nuclear safety protocols. Rocket Ports and Launch Pads can be chained together. A lot of artwork has been updated and sound effects have been added.

And of course, we've made many fixes and improvements based on your feedback! We're still focused on improvements and quality of life, so there's never a better time to let us know how this DLC is working for you. Thank you for all your discussions and reports, and keep them coming!

What's New And Improved?

Features
New Plant Mutation system allows specialized crop development
Exposing plants to radiation causes them to drop mutant seeds
Botanical Analyzer building will identify the traits of mutant seeds
Mutant crops can be farmed for new tradeoffs and optimizations

Added Gas Meter Valve, Liquid Meter Valve, and Conveyor Meter buildings.
Updated Codex entries, descriptions and lore
New plants
Cryotank
Radiation biome

New artwork for the Rocket Port Loaders

Changes and Improvements
Food preservation changes
Rottable items now have two stages of cooling: Refrigerated and Deep Freeze
Rottable items aren't fully preserved unless they are both in sterile atmosphere AND deep-frozen, because temperature and atmosphere effects now stack
Temperature and atmosphere effects have been rebalanced to account for this
Refrigerated food now lasts 5x as long instead of 2x

Food preservation times were incorrectly reported in the Codex, and were missing their refrigeration value
Rottable foods correctly detect if they're in an active fridge or not
Refrigerators cool things to 2 degrees celsius instead of 4 degrees, so that they actually get cold enough to be refrigerated. (Note: foods in a powered fridge are always considered refrigerated regardless of temperature.)
Foods dropped from a fridge will no longer continue cooling off on the ground
"Unrefrigerated Food" notification now jumps to that food when clicked. (Only partially stale unrefrigerated food in storage will trigger the notification.)

Errand "offset" fixes
Fix exploit where Duplicants can pick up items diagonally through walls if standing on a raised tile
Duplicants can access constructions diagonally from a greater number of nearby positions
Farm Tiles and Hydroponic Tiles now allow corner access for delivery chores.

Added low coolant diagnostic criteria to Research Reactor
Research Reactor
Fixed issue with inconsistent coolant/reaction mass conduction
Enriched Uranium mass target increased 20x
Increased coolant/reaction mass conduction scale 5x
Meltdown temperature increased to 3000k
Added new meltdown animations
Fixed issue with temperature meter
Increased meltdown projectile mass

All sandbox tools now have their own icon
Updated the Gassy Moo meteor artwork and impact animation
Radbolt Generator sidescreen now shows radbolt production progress bar
Small visual changes and added text label to radbolt direction selection panel.
Added a new Duplicant animation on the main menu
Non-crop plants now also have an ambient radiation limit
Swapped Conveyor Chute and Conveyor Receptacle in the tech tree.

Sound
Added Mud & Polluted Mud ambiences
Added sounds for Mud falling, landing and Duplicant movement on Mud
Added sounds for Radbolt Generator and Radbolt Reflector
Fixed some instances of two click sounds playing simultaneously.
Added missing Lead Suit Locker door closing/opening sounds.
Added movement sounds to various radiation locomotion sets.
Added movement sounds to the vomiter locomotion set.
Added sounds for Radbolt traveling and explosion
Added sounds for Duplicants reacting to radiation
Added sounds for Railgun rail cleaning.
Added Uranium Ore mining and movement sound effects

Bug Fixes
Worldgen: Fixed an issue with spawning guaranteed geysers in some Forest Cluster seeds.
Worldgen: Improvements to guaranteed POI spawning rules to decrease the amount of worldgen failures.
Fixed closing tag for Forest Moonlet string (for translations)
Fixed failing to switch worlds after using dev debug
Fixed animations rendering outside of the world
Plant sorting was broken on the planter box sidescreen, now the crops are consistently ordered
Moved uranium materials further in the build materials list
Fixed crash when dead Duplicant is hit by a Radbolt
Fixed issue where buildings with solid parts like the Solar Panel and Fish Feeder would leave behind a "ghost floor."
Fix crash that could occur if trying to load a world whose data no longer exists (i.e. a mod world)
Fix some cases where a rocket would not correctly attach to the Rocket Ports on landing or disconnect on takeoff
Launchpads now connect to Rocket Ports through each other in chains, so you can reliably have launchpads share ports
Fix crash that could occur if a Launchpad was selected when its rocket takes off
Rockets would sometimes wipe out each other's conduit endpoints, resulting in e.g. fuel tanks not getting fuelled
Add check on the main menu that prevents crashing if the newest save file is corrupted or otherwise problematic
Buildings and objects which have been marked "Empty Storage" now save/load the errand properly
Minor art revision to the Niobium Geyser
Fixed off by one error when calculating Rocket Platform/Rocket position ceilings
Wilting Wheezeworts no longer emit radiation if they were wilting on load.
Gas and Liquid Shutoff valves now immediately end their flowing animation when a red automation signal is received or no gas/liquid is flowing.
Radbolt Generator progress meter hookup. Restored Radbolt animation when more than 1/2 way to launch.
Fixed a crash where rockets and pads weren't correctly aware of each other during launch. This won't happen any further, but existing saves may require rebuilding the launchpad under the rocket before the rocket can successfully take off.
Fixed a scaling issue with the Arbor Tree where the art was blurry at certain stages of the grow cycle
Fixed issue that caused Cluster Style selection screen background to sometimes misalign
Fixed rockets disappearing when landing offscreen
Splitting ores now correctly updates the temperature transfer in the sim for both parts.
Conveyor Shutoff now has a "Conveyor Rail Blocked" status and behaves like the other Shutoffs when blocked.
Loading a save with a rocket with a Scanner Module exploring outside the FOW no longer crashes
Fixed crash building a new module while viewing a rocket interior