Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

The entire thread is really quite...something. You wouldn't think a (very stupid) complaint about anime translation would devolve into a transphobic rant featuring Nazi apologia, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lol people who want rebotic subs always confused me. It’s okay to put a little color in

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s okay to put a little color in

Nazis are against that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I dislike these people, in a way that I find hard to quantify.

Is there a term for someone who is optimistic as a weapon to hurt others with?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's literally called toxic optimism/positivity.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

weird because this thread just established that only white people like anime

edit: oops quoted the wrong person in my rush to smarmy

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Apr 25, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

From a video of Archie Bunker's coat on antiques roadshow. His daughter in law sold it to the guest for $40 and it was appraised at $10,000

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

acyclicity posted:

The entire thread is really quite...something. You wouldn't think a (very stupid) complaint about anime translation would devolve into a transphobic rant featuring Nazi apologia, but here we are.

I guess you haven't been using the internet for long, because yes I absolutely would think that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Josef bugman posted:

At certain times of day, "morning person" :morning:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, as exemplified by this idiot on social media
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1385245724019933184

Demanding forced outward optimism in order to cover up actual bad things, therefore meaning being sad or angry is your fault because you're supposed to be happy regardless of what happens

Piell has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Apr 25, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

loving hell.

It's hard to really get into why this kind of thing is so deeply creepy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ALL OF YOU ARE BEARD, NONE OF YOU ARE FREE FROM SIN

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

There's a Citation's Needed for that! They call it "The Neoliberal Optimism Industry" and I haven't listened to it since it first aired, but I think its just 90 minutes dunking on Steven Pinker: https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-58-the-neoliberal-optimism-industry

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Piell posted:

Demanding forced outward optimism in order to cover up actual bad things, therefore meaning being sad or angry is your fault because you're supposed to be happy regardless of what happens

I'm going to do this by asking women to smile more.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's a Citation's Needed for that! They call it "The Neoliberal Optimism Industry" and I haven't listened to it since it first aired, but I think its just 90 minutes dunking on Steven Pinker: https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-58-the-neoliberal-optimism-industry

Thank you.

As a depressed person part of me gets kind of irritated seeing people constantly trying to go "everything is fine, forever shut up about injustice, it will eventually go away". The idea that it's just something about humans that we are always going to have something about us that will prevent or will cause dystopia or utopia is utterly aggravating.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I loving hate that smarmy looking profile picture of his so loving much.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Vandar posted:

I loving hate that smarmy looking profile picture of his so loving much.

He used to have a different one but the original artist publicly disavowed him so a terf made him a new one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

GLinner is one of the funniest people alive completely unintentionally and he is so addicted to owning himself as thoroughly as possible as often as possible you have to imagine the guy slams his dick into car doors on the regular.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that supposed to be "beard" in the sense of a woman a gay man marries to appear straight, or "lol you have a beard" or some other use I don't know?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Katt posted:

He used to have a different one but the original artist publicly disavowed him so a terf made him a new one.
Was that before or after Magdalen Berns' widow asked everyone to stop using her portrait and he was like 'nah'

The whole avatar (below) definitely help nudge him into his KING OF THE LESBIANS permameltdown phase

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

OwlFancier posted:

Is that supposed to be "beard" in the sense of a woman a gay man marries to appear straight, or "lol you have a beard" or some other use I don't know?

I think it's the latter, all of his trans straw-women are walking around with full beards and their genitals exposed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are *squints* Derek and the toronto public library supposed to be unhappy about having beards?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's "lol you have a beard". It's meant to imply (I believe) that the only people who would defend trans folks are men with beards because [insert brain worm reasoning here]

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ror posted:

I think it's the latter, all of his trans straw-women are walking around with full beards and their genitals exposed.

Hell, same.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Piell posted:

A lot of people who love the idea of "toxic positivity" are usually ones who have never had to work and/or live in an environment where you have to be "on" 24/7. I would rather stick needles under my fingernails than having to force positivity to avoid being fired again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if people are going to assume I'm pro trans rights because i have a beard that's certainly better than assuming I'm some alt right hypermasc weirdo or simply too lazy to shave which is what i sometimes worry about (the latter is true but unflattering)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

It's "lol you have a beard". It's meant to imply (I believe) that the only people who would defend trans folks are men with beards because [insert brain worm reasoning here]

Scott Adams also uses this technique for anyone who's not a right wing nut job

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if people are going to assume I'm pro trans rights because i have a beard that's certainly better than assuming I'm some alt right hypermasc weirdo or simply too lazy to shave which is what i sometimes worry about (the latter is true but unflattering)

I have a beard because a) it balances out my enormous lockdown hair and makes me look less like a mushroom, and b) it makes me look a bit like Tsar Nikolai II, God-ordained father of all Russians and the only legitimate ruler east of the Danube.

My moustache, however, is for trans rights.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Scott Adams also uses this technique for anyone who's not a right wing nut job

Oh god, I just read the Sunday comics and todays Dilbert is probably the most sexist thing I've seen in a newspaper's funny pages ever. And the paper used to carry the Lockhorns.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

learnincurve posted:

My neighbour welded a fallen soldier scene and giant metal poppies to his fence.

Weld a bunch of white poppies to it and watch him pop a blood vessel.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

acyclicity posted:

Ah yes, who would think the revered community of "Anime avatar havers" on twitter would ever have a hot take.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Skwirl posted:

Oh god, I just read the Sunday comics and todays Dilbert is probably the most sexist thing I've seen in a newspaper's funny pages ever. And the paper used to carry the Lockhorns.

There's a reason that Dilbert is one of the very few strips that's outright banned from the newspaper comic strip thread.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

GLinner is one of the funniest people alive completely unintentionally and he is so addicted to owning himself as thoroughly as possible as often as possible you have to imagine the guy slams his dick into car doors on the regular.
He's a font of schadenfreude but still pretty discombobulating to hear the words of the trash man and prodigious buffoon coming from atomwaffen types

OwlFancier posted:

No, just if anyone with a beard in their pfp criticized him he'd just say that because of "the woke stasi"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tulalip Tulips posted:

A lot of people who love the idea of "toxic positivity" are usually ones who have never had to work and/or live in an environment where you have to be "on" 24/7. I would rather stick needles under my fingernails than having to force positivity to avoid being fired again.

The idea that one must be positive all the time, or that things "will work out" makes me want to go outside and scream till my throat is dry and my vocal cords shattered.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you want to understand toxic positivity, read Bright-Sided.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Before I got probed on Twitter for calling out Caitlyn Jenner for being horrible, I managed this:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I know what makes this person an idiot is the Godwin meltdown but their original complaint is also extremely dumb, as explained by this translation/localization expert:

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1381639689522700295

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I don't want to get too involved here, and it's obvious that the Actual White Nationalist was an idiot, but the idea that all pro localisation is great and they never gently caress up is Not Great. If nothing else because the pay-rates on anime/manga are so low that you really only get people who either can't get better paying gigs or people who are weebs doing it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Petition to have "sus" enter the English lexicon permanently just to piss these people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nah, invert it. If they hate "sus", they'll really find "Picious" annoying.