Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Oakland Athletics have won 13 games in a row and went from a 0-6 start to the best record in the AL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Popete posted:

The Oakland Athletics have won 13 games in a row and went from a 0-6 start to the best record in the AL.

loving crazy turnaround.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/wildwestwx/status/1386101247480979457

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Lmbo lmaho

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 25, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You're welcome, America.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Angels had to slide hard to make this happen, but it was worth it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Both Cole and deGrom currently have a K/BB ratio of 50/3

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/1386356391657578505

This is depressing but I think the yankees will end up trading him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the return of pitchers hitting has reminded me how satisfying it is to watch this man take an AB

(oddly enough that photo is from 2020, apparently the cubs were getting owned so badly that ross sent him out as a PH because he figured he'd rest his bench guys)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The world is healing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/1386356391657578505

This is depressing but I think the yankees will end up trading him.
Yeah I am pretty pessimistic that they will actually sign him instead of trading him or letting him walk

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That article is upfront that there were never serious talks and Cashman's always been a "no one's unavailable, let me hear your offer" kind of GM. Judge is the most popular Yankee since Jeter. He's a top 10 superstar when healthy. If he's unhealthy his value is gonna be low. I have a hard time seeing him not staying a Yankee in the short term at least.

The Yankees just started playing well so people needed something new to be fatalistic about.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
getting a Voltron-style image where all the teams take their place in formation and the A's go "and I'll form...the rear end!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

That article is upfront that there were never serious talks and Cashman's always been a "no one's unavailable, let me hear your offer" kind of GM. Judge is the most popular Yankee since Jeter. He's a top 10 superstar when healthy. If he's unhealthy his value is gonna be low. I have a hard time seeing him not staying a Yankee in the short term at least.

The Yankees just started playing well so people needed something new to be fatalistic about.

You're back on the waggon because they beat a terrible Indians team a few games? lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

You're back on the waggon because they beat a terrible Indians team a few games? lol

When did I ever join your "I hate this team" wagon? They were playing terribly and the media/fanbase screamed bloody murder. They won 4 out of 5 and started looking decent and suddenly there's a new "trading Judge" nonsense story for people to yell about. I just watch baseball games because I enjoy them.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
When I think of what the Angels have been missing for the past decade, Aaron Judge is exactly who comes to mind. Trade the farm for him Arte.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

When did I ever join your "I hate this team" wagon? They were playing terribly and the media/fanbase screamed bloody murder. They won 4 out of 5 and started looking decent and suddenly there's a new "trading Judge" nonsense story for people to yell about. I just watch baseball games because I enjoy them.

No matter what happens this week the Stanton disaster contract will make them have to trade Judge. That was true even before they started out this season badly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

No matter what happens this week the Stanton disaster contract will make them have to trade Judge. That was true even before they started out this season badly.

I fundamentally disagree that it makes anything inevitable just because its a possible scenario, and some really empty clickbait headline article about that time Cashman didn't seriously shop Judge doesn't change that for me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I fundamentally disagree that it makes anything inevitable just because its a possible scenario, and some really empty clickbait headline article about that time Cashman didn't seriously shop Judge doesn't change that for me.

You think they are going to pay 2 guys who will be DH's in the near future ~70M per year and that is either A. reasonable to stay under the tax cap with or B. a good way to build a team?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31328935/san-diego-padres-fernando-tatis-calls-post-homer-trolling-trevor-bauer-payback

has no one discussed FTJ clowning Bauer last night? I feel like that's the sort of thing you all should have been all over

also FTJ good ball player

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

You think they are going to pay 2 guys who will be DH's in the near future ~70M per year and that is either A. reasonable to stay under the tax cap with or B. a good way to build a team?

I think Judge is too valuable a player to make it a purely financial bottom line decision for the richest team in the league, and Judge being a DH in the near future is yet another "true because I say it" assumption from you. Certainly its a possibility and if it gets there it will be a problem, but I can't imagine the Yankees trading Judge pre-emptively because it MIGHT happen down the line. That's a hard sell with a fanbase that as you well know is always sharpening their teeth to attack anything and everything, and potentially disastrous baseball move.

Which isn't to say that I think its impossible the Yankees might trade Judge. But I see no implication of this from the silly article you posted. That article only exists to get people histrionic.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/fuzzyfromyt/status/1386393445816623106

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think Judge is too valuable a player to make it a purely financial bottom line decision for the richest team in the league, and Judge being a DH in the near future is yet another "true because I say it" assumption from you. Certainly its a possibility and if it gets there it will be a problem, but I can't imagine the Yankees trading Judge pre-emptively because it MIGHT happen down the line. That's a hard sell with a fanbase that as you well know is always sharpening their teeth to attack anything and everything, and potentially disastrous baseball move.

Which isn't to say that I think its impossible the Yankees might trade Judge. But I see no implication of this from the silly article you posted. That article only exists to get people histrionic.

It's completely reasonable to assume that Judge, who is already almost 30 and can't stay healthy, won't be able to stay healthy playing the field every day for much longer. I also think it's reasonable to be upset about the awful way this team has been built that would force them to trade a guy like Judge.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nothing is forcing the Yankees to trade Judge other than Hal being cheap.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Nothing is forcing the Yankees to trade Judge other than Hal being cheap.

Yeah I think the yankees should blow through the cap but they clearly aren't going to and Hal isn't selling the team. Also, they have been spending 200M a year for a decade and should have a better roster than this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Johnny Bravo posted:

When I think of what the Angels have been missing for the past decade, Aaron Judge is exactly who comes to mind. Trade the farm for him Arte.
look if they just get enough good hitters the pitching will sort itself out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Judge does have a very good throwing arm. It could work itself out.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1386403381242073088?s=19

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Here's Tatis clowning Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer.

https://twitter.com/tatis_jr/status/1386380363312689155

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

What a pain in the rear end

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This guy is the modern version of Jim Morris (The Rookie)

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1386406817622679555?s=20

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sydin posted:

Because hitting is impossible. Certainly in this day and age, with how loving absurd pitching has gotten, being a good hitter is arguably one of the most impressive sports feats possible.

I like to poke fun at Willians Astudillo but the guy hammered a neck high fastball for a home run on Friday. Absolutely insane.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if your sign is lovely enough that the hitter can see it without even looking round then you deserve to get your pitcher lit the gently caress up

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
bit of old LA baseball history, more in the thread
https://twitter.com/EddieMarsAttack/status/1386414725458644992?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves got utterly wiped out in a home doubleheader against the Dbacks today, managing one single hit in 14 innings without coming even close to scoring a run. The second game in particular (with the Braves' supposedly stronger lineup of the day) was over before the Braves even came up to bat, and it would've been a 7-inning perfect game if not for one error that got immediately cancelled by a double play.

Pretty clear something's gonna have to give.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Braves got utterly wiped out in a home doubleheader against the Dbacks today, managing one single hit in 14 innings without coming even close to scoring a run. The second game in particular (with the Braves' supposedly stronger lineup of the day) was over before the Braves even came up to bat, and it would've been a 7-inning perfect game if not for one error that got immediately cancelled by a double play.

The pitching hasn't been there, except for Anderson, and the offense didn't look like it gave a poo poo today. Ozuna came crashing down to earth after last year and Swanson's never going to be the guy he's capable of being.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is that our first "sorry, no no hitter for you" with these double header rules?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a gold star for the big boy

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1386447765933334532

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Adam Duvall started in center today. In San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Of the returning players, like almost ten off the top of my head you could make a case that they did not have another season ahead of them better than their '20: Freeman (no slight, just an MVP at 30 is probably a career peak), Ozuna (same, just went bananas last year), D'Arnaud (clearly figured something out after leaving NY but was never that guy before so how long would it last?), Swanson (can flash stretches like that before but never stays healthy or good for very long), Fried (good pitcher overperforming his peripherals for a great season, usually has injury trouble over 162), Anderson (promising debut but very hard to stay that hot once there's intel on you), Matzek (fun but not sustainable). Almost all of those are pretty much coming true, though some like Freeman and Ozuna are obviously not as bad as they look right now. Key depth pieces like like Duvall and half the bullpen were let go without really being replaced.

I think we all reasonably figured we wouldn't be getting a worst-case scenario from most of the names above and one residual year of lolMets under new management might keep us afloat but this is going south quickly.