Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apparently someone started an online petition to de-Americanize world football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

As funny as this would be, I don't believe a word of it.

They announced the league and had 70,000 terrible looking shirts just ready to go? Were the clubs just dropping their current deals with Nike or whoever? If it had gone ahead, I could maybe see a one manufacturer make the kits, but I'm sure they'd have a logo on the shirt.

Also, it wasn't called The European Super League and that wasn't the logo on the website.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 25, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Apparently someone started an online petition to de-Americanize world football.
It's dumber than that. It's an online petition to force America, Canada, and Mexico to adopt pro/rel but curiously not Australia, because apparently that is why the Super League happened and not dreams of being like the NFL or any other big-money American league.

One of the big backers is Chris Kessel, a guy who if you've ever read his Twitter account is about one night of hard drinking from claiming lack of pro/rel in American sawker caused the 9/11 Attacks to happen.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 25, 2021

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
still hearing every loving pundit say "I'm not against owners making money"
THATS THE WHOLE REASON THIS HAPPENED
start regulating, start putting in something of a cap, start equalising the competition OFF the field for once.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ESL was a bad idea but it doesn't mean promotion/relegation is a good one either. In practice there isn't much mobility between tiers. With TV rights the top league tends to have far more resources than the lower ones and it leads to things like Championship clubs spending a gently caress ton on wages. I don't know what's a better system though.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

:d2a:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

ESL was a bad idea but it doesn't mean promotion/relegation is a good one either. In practice there isn't much mobility between tiers. With TV rights the top league tends to have far more resources than the lower ones and it leads to things like Championship clubs spending a gently caress ton on wages. I don't know what's a better system though.

The only thing worse than a semi-closed system is an actually closed one.

Leicester went from the Championship to 14th in the Premier League to Premier League champions in three consecutive seasons. Even in the current semi-closed system that turned out to be possible. In an actually closed system it wouldn't be. Pro/rel is the only good way to run a league.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The PL is actually still one of the "fairer" leagues too due to the TV money split.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think there is, in principle, a way to ensure any form of "fairness". You can take commerce out of the equation and nothing will change. The Soviet league, which did not involve any commercial element, was prone to having a limited number of clubs dominate for a better part of any given decade: there hasn't been a point since the 1950s when Spartak Moscow, Dynamo Moscow or Dynamo Kyiv wouldn't have been title contenders for any appreciable length of time.

It is possible, however, to at least maintain the mechanical possibility of promotion/relegation because that allows for gradual power shifts over time. Even City and PSG didn't start winning instantly on becoming rich

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bundy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_fd012dz0

A good run down of everything so far, probably worth sticking in the OP

Woah, Willian is royalty? That explains why he seems so unconcerned by what happens on the pitch.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

The PL is actually still one of the "fairer" leagues too due to the TV money split.

Which ironically makes the rest of the EFL worse because the vast riches are attainable just by getting to the PL. Brentford, Barnsley or Swansea win the playoffs and their budget next season is 5-6x higher. Bournemouth will still have parachute payments propping them up, which exist because the gap between 20th and 21st in the pyramid is so unmanageably vast.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

Which ironically makes the rest of the EFL worse because the vast riches are attainable just by getting to the PL. Brentford, Barnsley or Swansea win the playoffs and their budget next season is 5-6x higher. Bournemouth will still have parachute payments propping them up, which exist because the gap between 20th and 21st in the pyramid is so unmanageably vast.

Yeha it becomes literally an arms race to spend your money well enough to stay up forever.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1386277829202137090
crafty

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
It’s because Marotta was looking the other way while simultaneously looking at the contracts and you can’t convince me otherwise.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Had their fingers crossed behind their back.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

It’s because Marotta was looking the other way while simultaneously looking at the contracts and you can’t convince me otherwise.

:shuckyes:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's hilarious that Real, Barca and Juve are still officially in this thing. Kinda awkward too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flayer posted:

It's hilarious that Real, Barca and Juve are still officially in this thing. Kinda awkward too.

Perez keeps insisting that even the other nine clubs signed legally-binding contracts and cannot withdraw even if they want to, which is pretty funny either way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The contract claim, I believe, is that it's a suicide pact. They can only leave if all founding members agree to leave

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Azhais posted:

The contract claim, I believe, is that it's a suicide pact. They can only leave if all founding members agree to leave

So the plan of the big 2 Spanish clubs is to piss off 10 other teams? They've got to be incredibly desperate

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Maybe I'm being dumb but what contract would ever stand up that compels you to join something that doesn't yet exist and doesn't have a mechanism to exist?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Maybe I'm being dumb but what contract would ever stand up that compels you to join something that doesn't yet exist and doesn't have a mechanism to exist?

They could have already created the Superleague Company or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The actual league doesn't need to exist in order for the teams to agree to some kind of binding agreement. I suspect they had since they were able to do such things as build a website and various other activities that require money. It's likely that JP Morgan or another financing entity fronted cash for that, and they had an agreement with the teams to do so that means if the teams back out, they have to pay to cover those costs.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

would love to see them actually try to press that in court, i mean you're basically a handful of people vs the entirety of the public opinion of this regardless of the legality so gl with that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Public opinion doesn't really matter here, and are any of the breakaway clubs' supporters really going to hit the streets to support their club's ownership not paying a penalty for a decision the club's ownership made?

I highly doubt that any of the teams would try to challenge a penalty clause if it exists. If you challenge it, you'll probably never be included in a future project (and there will certainly be a future project), and the clause is probably solid legally so what's the point? Just pay the money out of the owner's pockets and make it go away as quickly as possible.

On the other hand the whole thing has been super amateurish so who knows?

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

If I was one if the teams, Id make a second contract with Uefa promising not to send any good players and then I’d send my C team to train against Barca et al in the ESL.
Also take the money.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

There probably is some kind of penalty clause and it's either hilariously expensive and the clubs decided to eat it instead of the PR disaster or it's hilariously pittance for those involved at this stage or not iron clad (someone found a loophole) and Perez is being ridiculously petty.

I don't care which.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Eat it or refuse to pay up because you can afford the legal costs of contesting it longer than the clubs that are still desperately hanging on to the plan because it's the only way for them to get out of the huge amounts of debt they've got in without losing status

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Public opinion doesn't really matter here

it does though, judiciary systems are, despite what people want to think, ultimately political bodies in some sense and subject to pressure if it is overwhelming

like in the end, which path gives you more resistance? telling the ESL people to gently caress off (some of whom have already done so because of said public opinion) or telling the clubs who have fans and gov'ts essentially supporting their decision to pay a bunch of money for doing the right thing?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Has it been determined who the withdrawal penalty affects? Who has the liability? The clubs or the owners? Or is it naive to make the distinction?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you challenge it, you'll probably never be included in a future project (and there will certainly be a future project)

ah yes, i'm sure 9 of the biggest teams in europe will be replaced with the likes of... leicester city???

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

the popes toes posted:

Has it been determined who the withdrawal penalty affects? Who has the liability? The clubs or the owners? Or is it naive to make the distinction?

It would probably be the clubs. But at this point it is unclear whether any penalties exist, Perez isn't exactly known for his honesty.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Didn’t Kroenke confirm there were penalties and that their parent company would pay them instead of it coming out of Arsenal directly

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

Didn’t Kroenke confirm there were penalties and that their parent company would pay them instead of it coming out of Arsenal directly

That doesn't sound shady at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you don’t think a businessman would do that, just buy a football club and do shady poo poo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Honest Stan? Never

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dear Stan, we billed you but you still ain't payin, we wrote the account number AND the sort code at the bottom

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bundy posted:

Dear Stan, we billed you but you still ain't payin, we wrote the account number AND the sort code at the bottom
lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

it does though, judiciary systems are, despite what people want to think, ultimately political bodies in some sense and subject to pressure if it is overwhelming

like in the end, which path gives you more resistance? telling the ESL people to gently caress off (some of whom have already done so because of said public opinion) or telling the clubs who have fans and gov'ts essentially supporting their decision to pay a bunch of money for doing the right thing?

If there’s a contract that the various entities have signed, public opinion literally does not matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

qsvui posted:

ah yes, i'm sure 9 of the biggest teams in europe will be replaced with the likes of... leicester city???

The risk that you are the one team that doesn’t pay and you are frozen out of a future project is probably greater than the relative pittance that the penalty would be for the owners.

Plus it’s clearly not as selective as they want you to think as spurs are in it