Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a vocal minority of really weird anime fans are fundamentally opposed to the very concept of translation. this includes some translators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Office Pig posted:

and nonwhites

True

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a vocal minority of really weird anime fans are fundamentally opposed to the very concept of translation. this includes some translators.

Which I don't get as long as what was meant was conveyed what's the problem. It's one thing to point to how 4Kids did stuff, or how bad 90s videogame translations could be and wasnt to do better, but you still have to make it understandable to thr audience no matter if it's subs or dubs, a level of localization makes it not awkward and stilted.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

"I spent years learning how to read and understand a phonetic language with multiple levels of politeness and ambiguous nuance so subtitles wouldn't distract me from my 2d waifus, why the gently caress can't everyone else!?"

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Serf posted:

local man mad about anime translation, reveals that he is a nazi

https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000194844700672?s=20

warning, this thread does become incredibly hateful towards trans people after a certain point. reading it is like chasing colonel kurtz, things just become more and more batshit along the way

weird thing to get mad about considering the fan translation which is probably the version of the manga 95% of westerners have read uses western internet lingo like normie and normalfag

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

KomradeX posted:

Which I don't get as long as what was meant was conveyed what's the problem. It's one thing to point to how 4Kids did stuff, or how bad 90s videogame translations could be and wasnt to do better, but you still have to make it understandable to thr audience no matter if it's subs or dubs, a level of localization makes it not awkward and stilted.

I don't understand what's the problem here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDBrar7AdA

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Serf posted:

local man mad about anime translation, reveals that he is a nazi

https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000194844700672?s=20

warning, this thread does become incredibly hateful towards trans people after a certain point. reading it is like chasing colonel kurtz, things just become more and more batshit along the way
https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000792625291269?s=20
lol "DIRECT TRANSLATION ONLY"
*500 figures of speech, idioms, slang*
"wtf"

e:lol oh my god it skips right to "i'm not a nazi, but you gotta hand it to hitler"

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Apr 25, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

TenementFunster posted:

"wtf"

I remember seeing a video about a Japanese guy who was asked to translate some Japanese passage to English and just said 'You can't. You will either kill yourself or give up trying.' and I think about it with how translation can be a pain in the rear end and weebs think Japanese is exactly like English.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

TenementFunster posted:

"wtf"

e:lol oh my god it skips right to "i'm not a nazi, but you gotta hand it to hitler"

lol mfer doesnt even have a second language and wants to tell people how to translate poo poo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hodgepodge posted:

lol mfer doesnt even have a second language and wants to tell people how to translate poo poo
leave it to some zoomer nazi to think there is a single objectively "correct" 1:1 translation for every word

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I'm sorry but if they don't translate the foot fetish femdom lolicon anime correctly I'm going to have to become a fascist

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought that show was a rom com with a weird premise

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

TenementFunster posted:

leave it to some zoomer nazi to think there is a single objectively "correct" 1:1 translation for every word

They are consistent in having never spoken with a foreigner at all.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Hodgepodge posted:

these people who whine about translations are rarely any good at understanding the original language.

It's funny to go back and play old RPGs in the original Japanese. People spent years gnashing their teeth over the poor quality of Woolsey's translations and acting like they made dramatic changes. Then you play them and they're pretty much the same, but the bar is called the "cafe" and maybe they didn't transliterate one or two things correctly.

lol at the idea of being a translator for crunchyroll. You get paid like poo poo and you become a target

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 23:05 on Apr 25, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SpaceGoku posted:

I'm sorry but if they don't translate the foot fetish femdom lolicon anime correctly I'm going to have to become a fascist
yeah that's the best part. it's a show with a huge kid fucker fan base, but the translation is the problem for the nazis? but don't worry she's not actually black, she's just really tan so it's okay to be horny for the child.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought that show was a rom com with a weird premise

It is, but anime fans are weird.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's also funny how a guy dropping slurs thinks words have exactly one meaning.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

HootTheOwl posted:

It's also funny how a guy dropping slurs thinks words have exactly one meaning.
this guy really seems to hate transmissions!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I know this isn't actually the point but the word the anime girl said that was translated as "acting sus" is a slang shorthand of a word that means "acting suspicious"

an actual dog has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Apr 25, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

Did how bad 90s localization could be just convince the absolute most soft headed people that anything that isn't literal 1:1 translation is bad?

No, they're the kind of people who freak out when a fan translation of an LN doesn't have those brackets instead of quotes. I don't know why these people don't just learn Japanese. Well other than it takes effort and jacking off to anime doesn't.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Larry Parrish posted:

No, they're the kind of people who freak out when a fan translation of an LN doesn't have those brackets instead of quotes. I don't know why these people don't just learn Japanese. Well other than it takes effort and jacking off to anime doesn't.

But think about how much more anime you could jack off to if you learned japanese

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The idea that a 1:1 is possible, never mind preferable, is also its own strong-rear end mind poison against trying to learn--after all, if you've got to have perfect recall of 500,000 or so terms with very precise implications, that's unreasonable to ask of anyone not some sort of wizard or savant.

Sadly, they don't want to pay us like wizards or savants.

I'll always regret not, when I had the leeway to release what I wanted when I wanted how I wanted, ever having taken a particularly loud complaint week as pretext to release the next in some sort of adaption of kanbun, the old Japanese system for annotating Chinese with Japanese grammar rather than translating it.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

i have several college assignments due

I'll likely fail my semester because of my incredible autism in reading poo poo like this and the rest of this subforum

it was worth it:v:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mandoric posted:

The idea that a 1:1 is possible, never mind preferable, is also its own strong-rear end mind poison against trying to learn--after all, if you've got to have perfect recall of 500,000 or so terms with very precise implications, that's unreasonable to ask of anyone not some sort of wizard or savant.

Sadly, they don't want to pay us like wizards or savants.

I'll always regret not, when I had the leeway to release what I wanted when I wanted how I wanted, ever having taken a particularly loud complaint week as pretext to release the next in some sort of adaption of kanbun, the old Japanese system for annotating Chinese with Japanese grammar rather than translating it.

bro I've been barking up this tree for how many years now?

still doesn't make ADTRW slapfights any less insufferable

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

an actual dog posted:

I know this isn't actually the point but the word the anime girl said that was translated as "acting sus" is a slang shorthand of a word that means "acting suspicious"
Yes but we all know that actual, current high school students never use the word "sus" or any other slang, and thus i'm mad about my peodphile cartoon because trans people so all anime should include japanese slang that i wouldn't understand

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I think the main thing people forget about translations is that characters talk in a certain way. So you can translate the words accurately and end up with a completely inaccurate sentence. If a character is a high school student and talks like a normal high school student, in the translation they should talk like a normal high school student. Preserving a character's voice is usually more important that preserving the specific meaning of a specific word.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Speaking of translations, I get the sense that Discotek's subs for Hajime no Ippo are too 1:1 at times, somewhat stilted lines sprinkled throughout and could have used some more of a localization touch?? If that's even a thing?

I don't remember the Geneon translation too well but I can't recall seeing as much near-awkwardly formal english lines as on these blu rays

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
A bunch of nerds hated the original Woolsey translation for Chrono Trigger so much they made their own extremely literal and "accurate" translation patch.

It is absolutely miserable to play as the dialogue is flat and stilted as gently caress and sucks all the life out of the characters. The DS translation at least did Frog's overly polite and proper speech well without descending into gratuitous honorifics or random F bombs or whatever.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

I always feel bad for the hapless regular mobile suit pilots trying to fight a gundam. It would be better if the main characters weren't literally invincible from their weapons.

on the other hand it's funny when regular pilots hop in a gundam and immediately get clowned on because they think they'll get the gundam plot armor but don't

looking at you Katz

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I finished the second season of Laid Back Camp. It's good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I like the teacher. She's such a good teacher and loves booze so much

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i have several college assignments due

I'll likely fail my semester because of my incredible autism in reading poo poo like this and the rest of this subforum

it was worth it:v:

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Apr 26, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It can be somewhat annoying when the Netflix subtitles do not even remotely match what is being said, especially if it's a common enough idiom that a causal anime watcher like me can tell.

To be fair, sometimes closed captions of english shows don't even match up, so maybe that's just Netflix.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

Speaking of translations, I get the sense that Discotek's subs for Hajime no Ippo are too 1:1 at times, somewhat stilted lines sprinkled throughout and could have used some more of a localization touch?? If that's even a thing?

I don't remember the Geneon translation too well but I can't recall seeing as much near-awkwardly formal english lines as on these blu rays

Interesting. I just rewatched the pirated version, and I really noticed how great the subs are. Every character has a unique voice and the use of lingo is really well done. One of the better subs I've seen tbh.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read a lot of English web novels and there's a lot of ones I skipped because they just had bizzaro formatting and really wierd stilted dialogue, almost like they were written by a non-native or sometimes even non-fluent speaker, and I was super confused because nobody in comments ever mentioned it.

Then I downloaded a fan translation by accident when I was pirating an LN once and was like... Oh. That's why, these wierdos are writing stuff thats purposefully like incredibly lovely translations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best webnovel translation was the one where the guy intentionally and openly refused to translate any common noun. it was almost completely unreadable, because obviously there weren't footnotes or anything explaining what all these untranslated terms meant.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

the best webnovel translation was the one where the guy intentionally and openly refused to translate any common noun. it was almost completely unreadable, because obviously there weren't footnotes or anything explaining what all these untranslated terms meant.
TL note: "keikaku" means "plan"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isnt that just reading chinese or whatever at that point lol. except with latin characters

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I hope all the common nouns were in brackets too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mirello posted:

Interesting. I just rewatched the pirated version, and I really noticed how great the subs are. Every character has a unique voice and the use of lingo is really well done. One of the better subs I've seen tbh.

Yeah I have the old rips from back in the day that I believe were taken from the dvd's (IIRC) and the subs were generally really good, but there's a lot of weird, awkward phrasing in the recent releases that could have used some editing

A lot of "This match is full of thrills!" from the crowd and the analysis for fights comes across as overly plain sometimes

I'm aware that it's likely how the original is, but, again, that's the power of localizing something instead just a 1:1 thing

E: I dont think they've announced the third part yet which should include the movie and OVA, but Discotek did say on a recent stream that the series had been selling really well and the first two collections had to go on back order, so fingers crossed they get New Challenger and Rising