Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

When I play with a pick, I don't tend to use my wrist to move it so much as I do my arm. Is that wrong? I can play a lot faster if I do it this way, probably because I can play guitar chords strummed pretty quickly but never really practiced individual notes with a pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

a pale ghost posted:

When I play with a pick, I don't tend to use my wrist to move it so much as I do my arm. Is that wrong? I can play a lot faster if I do it this way, probably because I can play guitar chords strummed pretty quickly but never really practiced individual notes with a pick

I've seen a lot of both. As long as you're not slung down to your knees and have your hand or wrist in some contorted position that will lead to injury in the long term. That being said, economy of motion will absolutely lead to faster playing if drilled a fair amount.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRXukZRNW6Y is a good demonstration of bass pick technique. Lots of palm muting, wrist movement for individual notes, and whole-arm movement for the chugging sections. (Skip to around 4:30 for chords.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

Thanks for this. I just got off the phone with kevin brubaker for like an hour. What a nice person. Its worth noting that I am not very good and its entirely possible I dont have a dud, but when I play my american fender P I am invigorated and have fun, and the g&l makes me want to take up model trains (Im not into model trains at all).

Gonna get that brubaker!

Now you've got the idea, play the axe that inspires you! This is going to change as you do, don't be fooled by gearhead or technique dogma, trust your ears and your gut, everyone is inspired differently and needs to travel their own path.

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you understand analogies or what? I never said they were the same quality as affinities. No need to be so aggressive.

I understand analogies perfectly well, that was a cheap shot and I called it out. Music is an intensely personal thing and we have personal relationships to our instruments. Unfortunately they are mass-market consumer items, and there's the conflict. Sometimes you are lucky, as I have been, and sometimes in Basic Poster's case, you are not. Your line of analogy was unhelpful and irrelevant.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 25, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ewe2 posted:

I understand analogies perfectly well, that was a cheap shot and I called it out. Music is an intensely personal thing and we have personal relationships to our instruments. Unfortunately they are mass-market consumer items, and there's the conflict. Sometimes you are lucky, as I have been, and sometimes in Basic Poster's case, you are not. Your line of analogy was unhelpful and irrelevant.

:lol: take your head out of your rear end buddy. It's a cheap shot to say that the company has a cheaper line so it's no surprise it was a garbage bass? I think you're projecting a lot of your first sentence into what I said and getting defensive over the poor little company. I'm glad you got a good bass from that line, that's great! It's not a personal attack to say most of them suck compared to the real deal because it's factually the cheaper overseas line from that company and draw an analogy to the most prominent example most players would be familiar with.

projecting much jeeeesus \/

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 25, 2021

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm not going to change my opinion of your analogies because you think I'm being mean on the internet. That's all in your head.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stop slap fighting

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Henchman of Santa posted:

Stop slap fighting

Comedy option : televised Fighting

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Stop slap fighting

Counterpoint: slap bass fight

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
So, I know there is the post your sound cloud thread, and there used to be a review my stuff thread...but here is my thing ..

I've been playing bass for easily 10 years but not like...very aggressively and my repertoire is growing but I still can't seem to write a baseline to save my life. I mean I can, but it's always below what I think I can do. But I've also only recently gotten serious about my musicianship.

Started going through the berklee coursera stuff and it's fairly simple / stuff I already knew, but nice to have someone lay out practice for me.

It had me do a final project for one of the series which was 8 bars of an original composition in F major with a pentatonic melody over the top. The bass is just literally the roots of the harmony on a korg m1.

My question is...would any of you be willing to take a stab at a good baseline underneath? It was already submitted for grading, it would be very helpful to see what someone else would come up with and to play/analyze it myself. I just sit down and try to write something and it all just seems to suck a lot. Don't want to post unsolicited mp3s here...but if anyone would like to take a stab...I can extend it to 32 or something and would be very greatful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
just fuckin do it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've only been playing for about 6 months, but I've been working on bass with a fair bit of intention to improve, so this sounds fun. I'm in.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I also have no idea how to craft a bass line so sure, I'm interested.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Well thanks helpful bass friends.

So again, was just an exercise for an online thing...didn't put tons of thought into, just 8 bars. But I'm not completely ashamed of it.

Here is the chart: Sorry in advance. New to this after not trying since the 7th grade. The harmonic rhythm goes over the bar line half the time, and this is (Im sure the wrong) way I tried to notate that. Its F major. There might be a slash chord in there.

Here it is with bass
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r6AkWDyCSKkMC5Oef_GC3cawUZVTaoHv/view?usp=sharing

and without bass

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qDVVx_rozw_H-zchZn_oQ8zZpLs_H-Jc/view?usp=sharing

Ill print stems if anyone wants them.

e: I'm a huge softie that writes sensetive music.

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 25, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ok i think I got something. somehow the master came out really quiet.

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/fmaj-backing-track

Pretty much just followed the kick and snare then just stuck to the root, 5th, and 3rd. Bass ties the drums and the melody together so that's how I write bass lines. Something I heard a long time ago is that if the kick drum is ever hits without you hitting along with it, then you hosed up.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're an even bigger softie than you thought because I'm fairly certain what you've written is actually in D minor.

A- D-7 / D-7
D-7 A-7 / A-7
Bbmaj7 G-7 / G-7
A-7 D-6 / D-6

Is how I read it.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Huxley posted:

You're an even bigger softie than you thought because I'm fairly certain what you've written is actually in D minor.

A- D-7 / D-7
D-7 A-7 / A-7
Bbmaj7 G-7 / G-7
A-7 D-6 / D-6

Is how I read it.

I do have a problem with that. Like I'll claim to be in some diatonic major but just hang around 2, 3 and 6 all day.

There is also the completely plausible option that I hosed up the chart.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No, don't listen to me. The more I look at it the more I think I might be wrong. I'm pretty new at this too, and was only chording out your treble notes trying to work it out. It's what I get for listening to the version with no baseline first, and my ear going hey this whole thing is in minor.

There are definitely places, now that I go back and look at it, where your written base note establishes the notes above it as being major. I was just only listening to the no base version, and going off of that first.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 25, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Like, your first chord us definitely an Fmaj7, I just botched that one by leaving out the foundational note.

I want to go back and take another look at it and what I might do with that bass line once I am able to spend more time with it.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Huxley posted:

Like, your first chord us definitely an Fmaj7, I just botched that one by leaving out the foundational note.

I want to go back and take another look at it and what I might do with that bass line once I am able to spend more time with it.

Also feel free to tell me it sucks and you hate it. Similar about the mix.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I could barely hear the kick drum on the mix.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Spanish Manlove posted:

I could barely hear the kick drum on the mix.

Very possible. I shelved it at 120. Plus I have a sub in my setup, so it's very possible it is turned down to accommodate for that. That's actually super useful info and I should probably turn down my sub.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

My question is...would any of you be willing to take a stab at a good baseline underneath? It was already submitted for grading, it would be very helpful to see what someone else would come up with and to play/analyze it myself. I just sit down and try to write something and it all just seems to suck a lot. Don't want to post unsolicited mp3s here...but if anyone would like to take a stab...I can extend it to 32 or something and would be very grateful.

OK I gave it a crack. I took a rhythmic approach, playing off the drums and the synth and doing my favourite thing of not hanging around the root too much. I felt the 3rd was the feel of the piece rather than the 5th so that's why it's so prominent, but it's just my take, hopefully you get something from it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tBoYfMVImbzJqEBMPh0FlP3FRwYaLFY2/view?usp=sharing

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

Have been thinking about a short scale for a while and finally pulled the trigger.

Guild Starfire II in Emerald Green. Pretty impressed so far. Feels very well made and plays beautifully. Had to take a picture outside to actually see the color, it looks super dark green in person under normal light.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

ewe2 posted:

OK I gave it a crack. I took a rhythmic approach, playing off the drums and the synth and doing my favourite thing of not hanging around the root too much. I felt the 3rd was the feel of the piece rather than the 5th so that's why it's so prominent, but it's just my take, hopefully you get something from it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tBoYfMVImbzJqEBMPh0FlP3FRwYaLFY2/view?usp=sharing

Dude thank you so much. I love the chromatic walk down. Very inspiring. Also that you so much for illuminating the work. Please if I can ever do a similar fsboo please don't hesitate to reach out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

lazy old sun posted:

Have been thinking about a short scale for a while and finally pulled the trigger.

Guild Starfire II in Emerald Green. Pretty impressed so far. Feels very well made and plays beautifully. Had to take a picture outside to actually see the color, it looks super dark green in person under normal light.

Man, that's a beautiful bass. I hope you played some Jefferson Airplane to christen it.

More instruments need to be dark green.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

Dude thank you so much. I love the chromatic walk down. Very inspiring. Also that you so much for illuminating the work. Please if I can ever do a similar fsboo please don't hesitate to reach out.

My pleasure, it was fun, that's my BB735a with a bit of compression in passive mode. And if you do an analysis and write it out I'd appreciate a copy!

lazy old sun posted:

That is gorgeous, green is fantastic.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I finished mine and went back and listened to everyone's, then almost didn't want to post, but WHATEVER.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-p-647926275/bass-collab

All my actual recording stuff is downstairs where the kids are doing school, so this is on the keyboard, but it's good enough aside from the timing being pretty spotty in parts. Also I left the bass mixed high, just to make it stand out. I'd definitely not leave it that hot in a real mix. Anyway

The first is just a run through of something funky that wants to walk around a bit. The second time through is the same idea but ONLY the pentatonic scale in F. It's a little more static but that's probably more down to my skill than anything. Of note, one cool thing you can do in the bass is introduce tension in ways you might not think about. For instance the last chord in your loop is a Bbmaj9. So the first time through I ended the bass line on the C to push us into the second loop, but the last note I resolved down to the F to put a period on it.

Not my best work, but shows how much you do with the notes that are already in front of you and a little rhythmic motif.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 26, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Huxley posted:

I finished mine and went back and listened to everyone's, then almost didn't want to post, but WHATEVER.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MVuy9PkuH3vSeRPMCwgjucyYTXybtGFm/view?usp=sharing

All my actual recording stuff is downstairs where the kids are doing school, so this is on the keyboard, but it's good enough aside from the timing being pretty spotty in parts. Also I left the bass mixed high, just to make it stand out. I'd definitely not leave it that hot in a real mix. Anyway

The first is just a run through of something funky that wants to walk around a bit. The second time through is the same idea but ONLY the pentatonic scale in F. It's a little more static but that's probably more down to my skill than anything. Of note, one cool thing you can do in the bass is introduce tension in ways you might not think about. For instance the last chord in your loop is a Bbmaj9. So the first time through I ended the bass line on the C to push us into the second loop, but the last note I resolved down to the F to put a period on it.

Not my best work, but shows how much you do with the notes that are already in front of you and a little rhythmic motif.
Access requested!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Basic Poster posted:

Access requested!

Whoops!

https://soundcloud.com/matt-p-647926275/bass-collab

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Here's my attempt: https://soundcloud.com/pretentiousmanband/fmaj-smoov-jam/s-OHxv8ldci1E

I decided to make a rhythmic motif and play it through the entire progression. I played the 7th below the root and hammered on to the root for the most part (exceptions are Bb before the G and the F before D where I hammered on from the lower of the two).

The harmonic progression that I interpreted was:
code:
| Fmaj7 Dmin7 | Dmin7 | Bbmaj7 Amin7 | Amin7     |
|Bbmaj7 Gmin7 | Gmin7 | Bbmaj7 Dmin7 | Dmin add9 |
I don't have a DAW right now and I recorded it with my bass direct into my Zoom R24 multitrack. So I couldn't do the easy things like detect bpm and give myself a count-in, etc. (and also couldn't quantize my playing...)

Rifter17 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 27, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I can't check out the soundcloud hosted ones because it's blocked on my work computer. But I will tonight! Thank you very much to everyone who took time and energy to contribute.... definitely gives me ideas if I decide to continue with the piece.

Lately I've been doing a lot of reading on songwriting, so hopefully one day I can make things I'm not ashamed of.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rifter, your song isn't actually there.

BP, don't be like that. If it moved you forward, it was good work. And it absolutely doesn't sound bad. I'm sure you'll get some really productive feedback on it and it'll be something you look back on as being foundational to you in some way.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Thank for the heads up! Soundcloud does not make it obvious when sharing private links.

Just enjoy music regardless of output, technical ability, or whatever "metric" there possibly can be.

I actually really liked this little exercise. 8-measures was small enough that it wasn't too much of a commitment for participation and I thought it was a cool vibe going on. So whatever you thought of it, it brought me some good times.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Rifter17 posted:

Here's my attempt: https://soundcloud.com/pretentiousmanband/fmaj-smoov-jam/s-OHxv8ldci1E

I decided to make a rhythmic motif and play it through the entire progression. I played the 7th below the root and hammered on to the root for the most part (exceptions are Bb before the G and the F before D where I hammered on from the lower of the two).

The harmonic progression that I interpreted was:
code:
| Fmaj7 Dmin7 | Dmin7 | Bbmaj7 Amin7 | Amin7     |
|Bbmaj7 Gmin7 | Gmin7 | Bbmaj7 Dmin7 | Dmin add9 |
I don't have a DAW right now and I recorded it with my bass direct into my Zoom R24 multitrack. So I couldn't do the easy things like detect bpm and give myself a count-in, etc. (and also couldn't quantize my playing...)

Im very flattered that you would classify this as "smoov" :D

I like what you did! Ill work on a transcription! Thank you very much friendo.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Also, Im following you all on sc now. Some really cool stuff going on. Rifter your tracks are very cool. I wouldnt even know where to start doing what you do. Its very avant and forward but still very musical. Plus Icant even figure out what production techniques you are using, which is rare for me.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

ewe2 posted:

My pleasure, it was fun, that's my BB735a with a bit of compression in passive mode. And if you do an analysis and write it out I'd appreciate a copy!

Yamaha actually makes surprisingly awesome basses. Was the compression hardware or plug?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Basic Poster posted:

Also, Im following you all on sc now. Some really cool stuff going on. Rifter your tracks are very cool. I wouldnt even know where to start doing what you do. Its very avant and forward but still very musical. Plus Icant even figure out what production techniques you are using, which is rare for me.

Thanks for the listen! Production is a generous term...

The most recent stuff is me playing with modular synths. So you have these weird limitations on voices and sequencing the voices. Often these recordings are just making something that sounds interesting, exploring gear, and pressing record.

I've been moving my music setup so I hope to record some more stuff soon. I have most of my synth stuff plugged in, but none of my bass/guitar stuff.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Rifter17 posted:

Thanks for the listen! Production is a generous term...

The most recent stuff is me playing with modular synths. So you have these weird limitations on voices and sequencing the voices. Often these recordings are just making something that sounds interesting, exploring gear, and pressing record.

I've been moving my music setup so I hope to record some more stuff soon. I have most of my synth stuff plugged in, but none of my bass/guitar stuff.

Btw....what are the chances that your username is...from the palladium universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Basic Poster posted:

Btw....what are the chances that your username is...from the palladium universe?

Extremely high. At least I chose it prior to their Rifter line of quarterly publications, which I guess was discontinued in 2019? I just looked it up. I have a box of books that I was going to donate to a gaming store or something.

For those of you cool enough to not get the reference, Rifts is a table-top role-playing game a la Dungeons & Dragons. But it is set in the future with everything. And I do mean everything: Vampires in Mexico, giant bugs in Canada, Atlantis is back, mechs in Germany, bionic ninjas in Japan, 4 horsemen of the apocalypse in Africa, mutant ridable kangaroos in Australia, and Nazis in the US.

It is not a good gaming system and is terribly unbalanced. But I liked the drawings and I do own two original drawings from the books.