Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bubbacub posted:

Does the offset gunsight in the Bf-109 and FW-190 work like it does in real life if you use VR?

I haven’t checked them specifically, but the gyro gunsight in the P-51 and P-47 do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DeathSandwich posted:

Man I'm really itching to get an upgraded PC with a HOTAS rig again so I can tool around in goon multiplayer.

For labels - is there a way you can use selective labels that turn on with certain objectives met? Something like "run a helicopter extraction of an intelligence asset to get the locations of XYZ objective", "Forward observers are hemmed in by artillery positions or CAS and cannot operate, destroy the hostiles and they can operate, getting access to them laser designating objectives" seems like decent ways to integrate those sorts of labels.

For the first one, the mission designer could spawn the units when the objective is met. Labels would technically always be on, but no danger to the player from unlabeled units.

For the second, playing with no labels and using targeting pod laser search feature to find the JTAC laser spotting the targets for you.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bubbacub posted:

Does the offset gunsight in the Bf-109 and FW-190 work like it does in real life if you use VR?

You mean the refraction from the thick bulletproof glass?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Advertisement for this saturday's, tomorrow's Goon DCS mission, especially now that there is a sale going on.

Time: 2000 UTC, saturday the 24th.
Signup sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0
Discord: https://discord.gg/Vx4qqGyb

We will be using SRS, SimpleRadioStandalone, to simulate the radios. It is not hard to use, and works through the in-game radios.

Long story short:

This is a peacekeeping/asymmetric warfare scenario in the Caucasus mountains, with no hostile enemy air. Human Airborne Forward Air Controllers in A-10C's will fly to their IP's to get taskings from groundborne JTACs, and will then try to resolve situations on the ground, like troops in contact and convoy ambushes, by utilizing fast moving jets with laser guided bombs and rockets, and possibly gun runs. They will call for fast movers, F-14s, F-16s, and F-18s that orbit the area, and then guide them as needed.

For the fast moving jets, the skills you need are pretty simple. You can drop an LGB, and you can punch in a waypoint to the plane, so that you can fly to it when the AFAC gives you coordinates.
You should probably also be able to take off and land. This scenario emphasizes fuel management, and voluntary Aerial Refuel, rather than lots of weapons. More tanks, less bombs.

If you want to fly, you should hop on discord, get set up, and ask questions. Easy peasy.

F-14s refueling last weekend.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

quote:

As our online community grows and grows, we recognise that ensuring a level playing field for all has become an important matter and therefore, on popular demand we have locked the LUA files relating to weapon systems.

So I guess that's why all the database files are no longer available in source form. Sucks for you if you wanted to compare the numbers, I guess, now they are ED secrets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

THEYLL NEVER SUSPECT OUR MISSILE KINEMATICS ARE WRONG IF THEY CANT READ THE SECRET MISSILE FILES

Seriously, why does ED insist on fighting this so hard? They got missile kinematics wrong a long time ago. Fix them and move the gently caress on. This is a real dumb hill to die on.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Honestly I haven't flown with labels for a long while and I find them kinda jarring when I hop on a server with them on. The spyglass zoom they added in a patch last year get me to the point that I could get by fine enough without them.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I just treat DCS as a RPG where my character class is "Military Pilot". The labels are not a cheating option, they're a class proficiency.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

MrYenko posted:

THEYLL NEVER SUSPECT OUR MISSILE KINEMATICS ARE WRONG IF THEY CANT READ THE SECRET MISSILE FILES

Seriously, why does ED insist on fighting this so hard? They got missile kinematics wrong a long time ago. Fix them and move the gently caress on. This is a real dumb hill to die on.

Their stance in the newsletter amuses me greatly because if it was actually about modifying missile stats for cheating reasons A: they already had integrity checks on some of the lua scripts that would make the game fail to start if you messed with them and there's no reason they couldn't just do that here too and B: they nuked everything, not just the weapon files, even like the list of callsigns is gone. 1000:1 this is about them being pissy about missile kinematics and people being able to call them on their poo poo.

e: also if you wanted to make units for DCS uh hope you weren't using any of theirs as a reference, I guess

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

power crystals posted:

Their stance in the newsletter amuses me greatly... 1000:1 this is about them being pissy about missile kinematics and people being able to call them on their poo poo.

Might also be the weapon damage mod for dcs that happened around the time SAW went live.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Snapshot posted:

Might also be the weapon damage mod for dcs that happened around the time SAW went live.

I'll admit I'm not familiar with either of those, or at least I don't recognize "SAW" as an acronym here (aside from the gun which I assume is not what you're talking about).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

power crystals posted:

I'll admit I'm not familiar with either of those, or at least I don't recognize "SAW" as an acronym here (aside from the gun which I assume is not what you're talking about).

*AW is a series of servers run by r/Hoggit, each named after the terrain they use.
GAW — Georgia at War
PGAW — Persian Gulf at War
SAW — Syria at War

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

airquake and kdr sperging (which is the only plausible reason that people whine about keeping the lovely current missile kinematics) is the dumbest poo poo. just remove pvp entirely.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sagebrush posted:

airquake and kdr sperging (which is the only plausible reason that people whine about keeping the lovely current missile kinematics) is the dumbest poo poo. just remove pvp entirely.

I mean, missiles doing wrong things also happens to be an issue for PvE scenarios.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah but in co-op you can just chalk it up to DCS being DCS and not lose your mind about your gamerscore.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So a bunch of campaigns are pretty cheap right now. Are any of the campaigns for the F-16, F-18, or A-10C... or any of the Flaming Cliffs planes, particularly good at teaching you all of the plane's systems?

Youtube is ok for googling every little thing but it would be nice to be taken through planes tutorial style in a more competent way than the default training missions which maybe give you like 8% of the info you need.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

So a bunch of campaigns are pretty cheap right now. Are any of the campaigns for the F-16, F-18, or A-10C... or any of the Flaming Cliffs planes, particularly good at teaching you all of the plane's systems?

Youtube is ok for googling every little thing but it would be nice to be taken through planes tutorial style in a more competent way than the default training missions which maybe give you like 8% of the info you need.

I believe Rising Squall for F-18 takes you step by step to learn parts of the plane.

For FC3 planes, F-15 has a campaign called Georgian War. It's well voice acted, well done, and just overall really good fun. It also doesn't become super hard, but gradually increases in intensity. I thoroughly recommend it for 5 dollars.

The F-14 has two excellent campaigns that are free, both Cage the Bear and Operation Reforger. They come with the plane.

For A-10C, the Enemy Within is a really good campaign. I enjoyed it a lot, but I think it is somewhat challenging compared to the average.
The FC3 planes each do come with their freebie campaigns, too, by the way.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks for the info!

I'll try out Georgian War and I think I'll go for the Rising Squall campaign too, even though it's $20. It looks like it's been done up to be cheesy and Ace Combat-styled with dramatic music and horrific voice acting, which sounds fun.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Oh gently caress I'm looking at vr headsets again, exclusively for flight sims.

Any recommendations? The oculus quest 2 seems to be coming up top as cheap and reliable?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Communist Bear posted:

Oh gently caress I'm looking at vr headsets again, exclusively for flight sims.

Any recommendations? The oculus quest 2 seems to be coming up top as cheap and reliable?

Reverb G2’s clarity is unbeatable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the info!

I'll try out Georgian War and I think I'll go for the Rising Squall campaign too, even though it's $20. It looks like it's been done up to be cheesy and Ace Combat-styled with dramatic music and horrific voice acting, which sounds fun.

Rising Squall is loving wonderful, be sure to check their website for the Chuck's Guide pages so you can read up on what you need to know for each mission. Also check the carrier ops section for Mission 4.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vahakyla posted:

Reverb G2’s clarity is unbeatable.

If you’re primarily shopping for VR for seated experiences like flight sims or racing, you can stop searching; The G2 is the king of that market. It loses out in a couple of ways if you’re also planning on doing room scale (I loving hate the controllers) stuff, but is still a super solid choice.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Yes but it seems to be utterly impossible to buy the G2 at the moment, or at least in Britland it is.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Make sure you give Zucky all your data if you plan on getting a Quest.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Communist Bear posted:

Yes but it seems to be utterly impossible to buy the G2 at the moment, or at least in Britland it is.

I know two eurogoons who got this:

https://bestware.com/en/hp-reverb-g2.html

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out. It's admittedly a bit more expensive than I would like, but I can certainly appreciate better lenses for vr.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Communist Bear posted:

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out. It's admittedly a bit more expensive than I would like, but I can certainly appreciate better lenses for vr.

It is. I can’t make your money judgement for you, but as a G2 owner with O+ and Dell Visor before it, I can say that it is immensely accuracyte. I run 1.0 pixel density in DCS and I can read anything in the cockpit with ease including MFD’s and the moving map of F-18.

It is a phenomenal headset.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

PenisMonkey posted:

Make sure you give Zucky all your data if you plan on getting a Quest.

I thought I heard that whole facebook requirement got dropped? Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I thought I heard that whole facebook requirement got dropped? Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

The opposite actually. Grandfathered Oculus accounts will be dropped in the future and Facebook account will be mandatory.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the info!

Rising Squall was pretty fun. It doesn't directly teach you, but it does make use of less frequently used systems/weapons. There are some cutscenes you need to access through your desktop file explorer, not 100% necessary but fill in some character and plot.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Rising Squall was pretty fun. It doesn't directly teach you, but it does make use of less frequently used systems/weapons. There are some cutscenes you need to access through your desktop file explorer, not 100% necessary but fill in some character and plot.

It does! Their website has relevant links and chuck’s guide steps for each mission to walk you in.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Saukkis posted:

The opposite actually. Grandfathered Oculus accounts will be dropped in the future and Facebook account will be mandatory.

:cripes:

Wow. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Unbelievable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh. Oh wow.

I just did my first familiarization flight in an F/A-18. My usual routine is to get it in the air and then fly over hill and through valleys just to see how the airframe handles.

Oh that's a nice airplane to just fly. I'm going to have to see what all the buttons do at some point, but flying is really nice.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GreatGreen posted:

It's not for any of those, but I maintain that it's one of the most interesting campaigns in all of DCS: The Oilfield Campaign for the Mi-8. It expects you (and eases you into) use all of the half-dozen navigation options the bird carries, in particular the DISS Doppler navigation system where you dial in a distance and a radial and then try to fly in that direction without drift.

It also expects you to land on uneven terrain, to haul cargo, to do precision lifts and releases of said cargo, and eventually to do all that with a very narrow fuel margin because you need the lifting capacity to carry goods rather than precious fuel.

For the A-10C, there are the three qualification campaigns: Basic Flight Training Qualification (BFTQ), Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification (AATQ), and Tactical Training Qualification Campaign (TTQC). They expect you to do things by the book, precisely, and quickly, and unless you do it right you get dinged with a bad score and aren't allowed to progress. Each mission comes with a detailed run-through of the system or process you're about to use, including very handy kneeboards, and also a training session where you can practice over and over until you nail it.

It can be challenging, but if you want to thoroughly learn the ins and outs of the Hog, they will certainly do that.

All that said, though, there is one huge caveat with all campaigns at the moment. Over the last couple of years, ED has done a fair amount of things to the map and (most recently) the weather system, and third-party developers haven't always been… ehm… quick, let's say, in updating the campaigns to match. For the most part, they should work, but you may occasionally come across issues where the mission expects you to operate in an area that is now covered in trees, or is enveloped in clouds with no visibility, Worse still, sometimes it expects the AI to do that, at which point the AI will dutifully fly into the closest tree, explode, and fail the mission for you…

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The Super Carrier is 30% off right now at $27.99. Has it ever gone cheaper than that?

Tippis posted:

DLC tips.

Thanks for that, it's really helpful!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

All that said, though, there is one huge caveat with all campaigns at the moment. Over the last couple of years, ED has done a fair amount of things to the map and (most recently) the weather system, and third-party developers haven't always been… ehm… quick, let's say, in updating the campaigns to match. For the most part, they should work, but you may occasionally come across issues where the mission expects you to operate in an area that is now covered in trees, or is enveloped in clouds with no visibility, Worse still, sometimes it expects the AI to do that, at which point the AI will dutifully fly into the closest tree, explode, and fail the mission for you…

This. A particularly jarring example was the UN Pilot campaign for the Huey where some waypoint altitudes got broken between sea-level and ground-level, resulting in your leader suddenly soaring into the sky or sinking towards the ground without notice, and the mission expecting you to maintain formation...

On a further note on campaigns, don't pick up the Argo campaign for the Huey unless you are *very* comfortable with tight landings. The campaign has you ship based so you are expected to regularly land on the frigate, sometimes multiple times per mission. And the missions are long, with long commutes , and multiply objectives, with some of those tight landings in the middle. One small mistake is all it takes to break the helo and you have it all to do again. It's an order of magnitude above the UN Pilot campaign in terms of skill requirements.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I will land the Huey anytime, anywhere.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PenisMonkey posted:

I will land the Huey anytime, anywhere.

:hai:

Sometimes it’ll even still be airworthy once I land it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

The Super Carrier is 30% off right now at $27.99. Has it ever gone cheaper than that?

Thanks for that, it's really helpful!

I don’t think. That was the price on release, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all the supercarrier does right now is give you a bunch of dudes running around on deck (which is admittedly fun, but idk if it's 28 dollars of fun) and a grade on your landing if that matters to you.

supposedly it's going to include stuff like a briefing room at some point but I would be completely unsurprised if that took another two years to implement and they decided to charge another 15 dollars for that, even for people who already own the module, "because of the extensive development required to implement the briefing room to our standards"