Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I've carried an unrideable bike on my back to a shop before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I've carried an unrideable bike on my back to a shop before
same

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Y5ZS22000 Link Cover

Thanks, this is the best thread on the forums

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

That is not acceptable.

You have to move to Campy if you want more effort in locking out cross-tier compatibility.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

being able to mix and match stupid poo poo is the best part of di2. I’ve got a minuscule junction box that clips to a hydro line, MTB shifter and city IGH. Zero issues.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve thought about doing an on-road circumnavigation or an offroad ride through the interior. But the logistics of shipping a bike there makes it a bigger headache to plan out.

I wonder if Lauf have a demo fleet?

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
I finally got around to watching Lael Wilcox's film of her 2019 Tour Divide record attempt.

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEGIt6FC34

It's good. I didn't realize that armchair bike trolls were such d-bags about her having a camera crew and having a personal relationship with a member of that crew. People suck.

Definitely worth a watch if you've got 38 minutes to burn and like to watch people endure self-inflicted cycling related misery.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Decided I really wanted to push myself this weekend and add a new highway sticker to my frame, so a buddy and I went and did this.

Incredible weather for it, and the entire southern portion of the route had some nice grey cloud coverage up through Lytle Creek.

From there, we took a random grindy dirt road for a ways up hill as a connector out to the desert / as a way to avoid the Cajon pass. It eventually gets to a decent drop off for a few miles of fun dirt downhill that I'm still getting a feel for, but I felt less conservative than I normally do about dirt shredding.

You get spit out on a more maintained, wider dirt road that eventually meets the pavement of Lone Pine Canyon Road, which I believe runs along the San Andreas fault and connects Cajon to Wrightwood.

Cloud cover now gone, this was easily the chuggiest part of the route with what feels like an endless stretch of climbing out to the horizon with no cover whatsoever. Homie and I did find an unopened but clearly ancient bag of apple ring gummies laying in the dirt on the side of the road however, and we devoured them because we are disgusting and it owned.

Eventually you hit sub-alpine elevation and the scenery starts to get real pretty. We dropped into Wrightwood to top off on supplies, I devoured some gas station sushi and an enormous pickle, and we began another big ol' climb up to Blue Ridge.

We had done about 70 miles to get to Wrightwood and my longest ride previous to this was 80 something with like 7k elevation gain total, but I was in the mf zone and feeling great. We got up to Blue Ridge right at the golden hour and the view was loving incredible.

With waning daylight, we had a pretty monster drop towards Vincent Gap (I think), and the combination of flying down a mountain road while the last light of the day casts long shadows on the huge rock walls and scattered snow deposits clinging to the north face Baden Powell made for one of the coolest experiences I've had on a bike since starting to ride about a year ago.

From there, we had another big climb towards the highest point on the route, Dawson Saddle, with a now rising moon and lunar illumination just shy of 100%.

We reached Dawson right around 8:30, and things get a bit blurry here, but not in a bad way? I think after so many miles and with a still sizeable chunk ahead, your brain slips into this weird meditative fugue state, and I've never really experienced that before.

I felt like I could keep going forever, but the part of your brain responsible for normal consciousness, speech, etc had been flipped to battery saver mode.

No thoughts, no words, just bomby downhills, the occasional small climb, gorgeous silver moonlight, and more bomby downhills.

The mountains eventually spit us out back into the city, and all told I was back home by 1am, fried but completely content.

I hope my monologuing isn't lame or boring, just feeling super stoked on my first real adventure cycling route and wanted to share :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is a real good post and I would like to encourage more posters to make posts such as yours.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you eat/poop on such a long ride?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

serious gaylord posted:

This is a real good post and I would like to encourage more posters to make posts such as yours.

:yossame:

That false flat up to lytle creek is a real rear end in a top hat, just 10+ miles of wondering why you’re going so slow. A lot of fun going back down though.

Apr 7, 2003

rt4 posted:

I don’t pee on long rides, it’s weird. I rode four hours yesterday and didn’t pee once. I did two seven+ hour rides last year and pissed once on both. Weird.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don’t pee on long rides, it’s weird. I rode four hours yesterday and didn’t pee once. I did two seven+ hour rides last year and pissed once on both. Weird.

Not super weird - you're using up the excess water in other ways, and sweating is basically (very dilutely) pissing out of your skin.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not super weird - you're using up the excess water in other ways, and sweating is basically (very dilutely) pissing out of your skin.

In a way, that makes us all triathletes pissing all over ourselves

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Time posted:

In a way, that makes us all triathletes pissing all over ourselves

Unless Prince Andrew cycles

Apr 7, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My wife constantly stops to pee and says it’s weird that I don’t though.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

evil_bunnY posted:

being able to mix and match stupid poo poo is the best part of di2. I’ve got a minuscule junction box that clips to a hydro line, MTB shifter and city IGH. Zero issues.

now build a DI2 setup for my 3x10.

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 25, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My wife constantly stops to pee and says it’s weird that I don’t though.

same, my guess is she's just drinking a lot more water

and/or i am skin pissing a lot more

Apr 7, 2003

Love to be a big sweaty boy

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
edit is not quote.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I drink a liter of coffee before every ride and it usually results in one (1) pee break for hour for the first three then as normal

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you have had kids it gets to your bladder before it gets to your skin, believe me we can tell you every single stopping place on a regular route in every season.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah ha! I have remembered I have An Anecdote.

So running alongside part of the chesterfield canal there is a freight line, known as “the Queen’s line” because it’s where they send the fancy Royal train for safety reasons. One time me and my fragile bladder threw the bike down and ran into the woods. As nature was taking it’s course I heard a whooshing sound behind me, looked back and it was the Royal carriages in gold with the shields and stuff painted on them.

And this is how I once mooned the Queen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

And this is how I once mooned the Queen.
hell yeah

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PuErhTeabag posted:

I finally got around to watching Lael Wilcox's film of her 2019 Tour Divide record attempt.

It's good. I didn't realize that armchair bike trolls were such d-bags about her having a camera crew and having a personal relationship with a member of that crew. People suck.

Definitely worth a watch if you've got 38 minutes to burn and like to watch people endure self-inflicted cycling related misery.

This is really good. So good I watched it and her Lael Rides Alaska video back to back. She makes me want to go for another ride today.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Aww, thanks y'all :)

rt4 posted:

We hit a pretty nicely maintained but empty public restroom in a bougie park we found before beginning the climb up to Lytle Creek and it was perfectly timed.

Food wise, you pretty much make sure you have access to sustenance in your handlebar bags you can nibble on when possible, and then you just stuff your face with calories anytime someone needs to pull over to check a map / adjust something / add a layer, etc. Never don't be eating.

e.pilot posted:

:yossame:

That false flat up to lytle creek is a real rear end in a top hat, just 10+ miles of wondering why you’re going so slow. A lot of fun going back down though.

Definitely, and I only recently learned that phenomenon had a name lmao. There were a few different parts of the route like that yesterday and they make the reality warping field of being on a bike that long even more surreal.

Apr 7, 2003

rt4 posted:

One of the barriers I had to get over wrt long distance cycling was understanding that I had to stuff my face nonstop while riding, to the point where it became unpleasant.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

to the point where it became unpleasant.

You have to slowly build up to it. I believe in you.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Being able to eat when not hungry and inhale gas station garbage at any opportunity is an underrated cycling skill.

Apr 7, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Being able to eat when not hungry and inhale gas station garbage at any opportunity is an underrated cycling skill.

Accidentally got this big boy last year

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just started cycling again for the first time in about 10 years by taking my new-to-me cargo bike to the grocery store. Went pretty well, aside from my horrid conditioning.

My quads were really sore afterward but my glutes weren't at all. Is this normal or does my seat need to repositioned?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Even if your fit was right, that's the likely soreness you'd feel. Check the Lemond method's predicted setting vs what you have:

https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/technique/beginners-guide-how-to-set-your-saddle-height-on-a-road-bike.html

Apr 7, 2003

Used my ultrasonic cleaner today, popped my chain off and threw it in and used a zip tie to keep the gears together like someone in this thread suggested.

Easiest poo poo in the world, can’t believe I used to mess around with a chain cleaner and brushes for the cassette.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

rt4 posted:

I just started cycling again for the first time in about 10 years by taking my new-to-me cargo bike to the grocery store. Went pretty well, aside from my horrid conditioning.

My quads were really sore afterward but my glutes weren't at all. Is this normal or does my seat need to repositioned?

When I started commuting by bike about 6 months ago, from not having been on a bike for about a decade, my quads burned the whole way up the hill (even the parts I walked). That gradually tapered off over a month or two and these days I only feel any discomfort in my thighs if I decide to push harder. My glutes have never complained, which I also find puzzling when I'm riding and I'm concentrating on what my legs are doing while I pedal. But I'm not complaining about this particular lack of a pain in my rear end.

Used my ultrasonic cleaner today, popped my chain off and threw it in and used a zip tie to keep the gears together like someone in this thread suggested.

Easiest poo poo in the world, can’t believe I used to mess around with a chain cleaner and brushes for the cassette.

I washed my bike yesterday, and used my newly-purchased-from-ALDI chain cleaner - it worked well! I guess I'm like three miles behind you on this path, just getting into a chain cleaner in addition to cheap little brushes? Whatever, bike is clean and I've got an appointment tomorrow morning for a new rear tyre at my LBS.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I've debated getting an ultrasonic. What's it like with managing the solvent or cleaning fluid? Do you need to swap it out every time? Is it safe to dispose down the drain?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I've debated getting an ultrasonic. What's it like with managing the solvent or cleaning fluid? Do you need to swap it out every time? Is it safe to dispose down the drain?

I just use water and a drop or two of dawn soap.

I’ve always put it down the drain and never thought of it but tbh I’m not sure on what my bike lube is made of, if that were to make a difference.

Apr 7, 2003

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I bought mine at Harbor Freight, cheap as poo poo ($80?) plus they sell a powdered cleaning solution that's safe to dump down the drain as far as i can tell. Ran the cassette + chain through two cycles, fished them out, and dumped the filthy water down the drain. Seemed fine. Got them clean as hell, I was impressed.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

PuErhTeabag posted:

She accomplished more than the arm chair trolls ever will. If I was racing that you can bet my wife would tag along..

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How do you all wash your bikes? I don't have an outside hose. After my ride on Saturday my bike is covered in clay dust from the trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

How do you all wash your bikes? I don't have an outside hose. After my ride on Saturday my bike is covered in clay dust from the trail.

baby wipes