Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I would 100% play a Yoko Taro gatcha especially if he made you delete your waifus at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shoehead posted:

I would 100% play a Yoko Taro gatcha especially if he made you delete your waifus at the end

I'm hoping this is what happens when they wrap up SinoAlice, I would be all in on the final month of Colosseum being super high stakes like that where losing a match means the character you used is now permanently gone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt it. Taro doesn’t really do that kind of stuff for no reason. There is usually a point to it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Barren Temple kind of makes me want to die.

Edit: you can just walk behind the boxes :cripes:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 25, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Pollyanna posted:

:yokotaro:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Pollyanna posted:

You can also just jump at full speed while making sure you release the stick when you land so you're technically not "running".

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

why is kaine in her underwear

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

romanowski posted:

gently caress off, book.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

romanowski posted:

Why aren't you in yours?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck: has anyone else had random freezes on PS4? This is like the second time it’s happened to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

romanowski posted:

It’s an extremely well developed excuse reason to have a sexy lady walk around in lingerie

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I doubt it. Taro doesn’t really do that kind of stuff for no reason. There is usually a point to it

That's the whole story of the game so it would serve a plot point as well as being an interesting mechanic for the end of life portion of a gacha game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cephas posted:

gently caress off, book.

https://twitter.com/retrocombine/status/1386398474757836801?s=21

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck: has anyone else had random freezes on PS4? This is like the second time it’s happened to me.

Had it happen once during the Aerie reveal. Just froze up on the chiefs hut. At least it was literally just after a save point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god, sidequests in this game really are loving miserable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve done it twice now and both times the moment in the final section where Emil actually says your name out loud made me do a double-take and go “wait WHAT did I just imagine that”

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Pollyanna posted:

I did about 20% of the first-half quests before realizing that, much as everyone on here says, there's no point. No weapons behind any of them, just a few gp rewards (and sometimes not even that!) The one that gets Devola and Popola to sing is worth the time, but most of 'em -- if they're convenient, do 'em. If not, skip 'em.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve done it twice now and both times the moment in the final section where Emil actually says your name out loud made me do a double-take and go “wait WHAT did I just imagine that”

My name is never in any of these, I bet it doesn't happen for me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Memnaelar posted:

I did about 20% of the first-half quests before realizing that, much as everyone on here says, there's no point. No weapons behind any of them, just a few gp rewards (and sometimes not even that!) The one that gets Devola and Popola to sing is worth the time, but most of 'em -- if they're convenient, do 'em. If not, skip 'em.
Unless things have changed a bit, I know for a fact that a few of the weapons are locked behind quests, at least in part 2.

(Off the top of my head, A Bridge in Peril, The Damaged Map, and Disturbing the Sleep of Kings all give you part of the Labyrinth set)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

/\/\/\ any quest weapons you miss from part one can be bought in part two, but part two weapons locked behind quests have to be gotten via those quests.

I wrapped up ending C and got started on a full (well, loading from my cleared C save instead of reloading my save from just before the final gauntlet) playthrough for D because there are 2 bosses I still need the fast kill trophy for, so I might as well tack on a few more levels and upgrade my weapons while I work towards the ending.

I forgot how rough some of the material grinding was though, and I’m definitely going to exploit the time zone changing trick to grow crops to sell to get my million gold trophy.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Blaziken386 posted:

Unless things have changed a bit, I know for a fact that a few of the weapons are locked behind quests, at least in part 2.

(Off the top of my head, A Bridge in Peril, The Damaged Map, and Disturbing the Sleep of Kings all give you part of the Labyrinth set)

First-half quests was what I meant by that comment. They didn't lock any weapons behind missable content.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Question about post-ending B: is there any more new/recontextualising content in the third playthrough other than the very end?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Question about post-ending B: is there any more new/recontextualising content in the third playthrough other than the very end?

Yes there are a few scattered throughout, off the top of my head the only things it’s 100% safe to skip are mid-boss cutscenes which you’ll want to skip if you’re going for the time kill trophies

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there anything good locked behind the fisherman quest (apart from better fishing skills?) I have trouble locating any rainbow trout.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ymgve posted:

Is there anything good locked behind the fisherman quest (apart from better fishing skills?) I have trouble locating any rainbow trout.

Just trophies, really. Fishing can be a decent source of money too when you get to higher level fish, and some of the trash you fish up is used for weapon upgrades.

Rainbow trout are fished up from the waters below the bridge that leads to the junk heap, using just the plain lure.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looking at Act 1 quests in the Forest of Myth - do they have any story/lore-relevant information?

Edit: doesn’t matter, do them all.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 25, 2021

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there any explanation for the Part 1 Mansion having transforming paintings and screams from other rooms? It's something I never thought about in my old PS3 playthrough and my remake playthrough, but it just struck me watching a friend go through that section.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those things are spooky and help make the mansion more spooky.

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

Vitamean posted:

Is there any explanation for the Part 1 Mansion having transforming paintings and screams from other rooms? It's something I never thought about in my old PS3 playthrough and my remake playthrough, but it just struck me watching a friend go through that section.

I've always imagined that the in-universe reason is that the mansion is intended to hide the research center underneath it, so they literally just made a fake haunted house so people wouldn't investigate it any further. Everyone involved in the old world of NieR liked to make things as convoluted as possible.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

Remember the chart.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
But be sure to do any quest Yonah asks you to do no matter how annoying, unless you're a monster I guess

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game has caused Song of the Ancients to get stuck in my head. It's a great track, but if it's possible for me to get tired of it I think the game might be able to pull it off.

Some of these side quests are almost comically depressing. I'm a fan of the one where you search for this old man's dog and it's dead, and then you return and the old man is also dead.

edit: I also like when I'm on a quest to (very early extremely mild spoilers) get Yonah pain meds to deal with excruciating pain from her fatal condition and proceed to spend several days learning fishing from some guy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 26, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

This game has caused Song of the Ancients to get stuck in my head. It's a great track, but if it's possible for me to get tired of it I think the game might be able to pull it off.

Some of these side quests are almost comically depressing. I'm a fan of the one where you search for this old man's dog and it's dead, and then you return and the old man is also dead.

that spoiler is where I was like "oh ok game, I see your vibe" back when I first played it 10 years ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of 10 years ago, I cannot wait for people’s blind reactions to this game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
On the PS5 make sure to exit the game when going to the dash or having the system sleep if you are working on any timed events, the clock either still runs or realizes time passed. Totally hosed my less than 15 hrs, all part 1 quests one playthrough before the time skip :smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

On the PS5 make sure to exit the game when going to the dash or having the system sleep if you are working on any timed events, the clock either still runs or realizes time passed. Totally hosed my less than 15 hrs, all part 1 quests one playthrough before the time skip :smith:

I didn’t have this problem at all with putting the console into rest mode without going back to the dash or any extra steps, my time played is accurate despite me having the game “running” since Friday morning.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of 10 years ago, I cannot wait for people’s blind reactions to this game.

Over the years I have managed to spoil myself for all the major ending details but I have no idea what any of the game before it is like lol

Edit: except for Justin McElroy panning the game because he failed to complete a fishing quest, that's the only thing I know before the ending

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Over the years I have managed to spoil myself for all the major ending details but I have no idea what any of the game before it is like lol

Edit: except for Justin McElroy panning the game because he failed to complete a fishing quest, that's the only thing I know before the ending

:laffo: That was Justin!?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/13039042655

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All I know is that I haven't binged a game like this in quite a long time. It's a loving treat and proof that Yoko Taro can repeat the quality of Automata