Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Documentary Feature goes to My Octopus Teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I have officially given up trying to find some bootleg stream or whatever. Closest I got was some Australian channel called 7plus with a VPN, but it just tantalizing shows a "play" button which does nothing when clicked. You people in this thread are now my sole source of Oscar updates.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I have officially given up trying to find some bootleg stream or whatever. Closest I got was some Australian channel called 7plus with a VPN, but it just tantalizing shows a "play" button which does nothing when clicked. You people in this thread are now my sole source of Oscar updates.

Its the normal circlejerk ceremony. Just more relaxed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Very annoyed that the horribly overrated Promising Young Woman won screenplay.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Really funny to have all the justice-y rhetoric and then give best doc to the movie about a white south african guy’s mid-life crisis

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

mcmagic posted:

I had three other choices over that film so i understand that feel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He absolutely tried to gently caress the octopus

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

smug n stuff posted:

Really funny to have all the justice-y rhetoric and then give best doc to the movie about a white south african guy’s mid-life crisis

Collective was robbed.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

Yeah Crip Camp was robbed.

Also is it just me or does this ceremony like... LOOK GOOD a lot of the time?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

smug n stuff posted:

You knew the ACAB short was gonna win because of that even if it was way too heavy handed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

What was with the Latasha Harlins shoutout for a doc about the french resistance? Didn't want to be too mainstream in a cynical attempt at zeitgeist chasing and shout out George Floyd?

One of the other nominated pieces was about her.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

My Face When posted:

Its the normal circlejerk ceremony. Just more relaxed.
Yeah but Soderbergh is in charge! And anyways I like the normal circlejerk ceremony.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah Crip Camp was robbed.

Also is it just me or does this ceremony like... LOOK GOOD a lot of the time?

Do you remember the first movie that ever blew you away?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Kangra posted:

One of the other nominated pieces was about her.

ah okay

the film that one best live action short has a scene that's a literal recreation of the george floyd death along with the "I can't breath" line

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah but Soderbergh is in charge! And anyways I like the normal circlejerk ceremony.

As do I, but the irony of the whole affair is not lost on me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

My Face When posted:

As do I, but the irony of the whole affair is not lost on me.
Well it's lost on me because I can't loving watch the thing :argh:

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Stephen Yuen wins the oscar in my heart.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Octopus Teacher winning is probably the dumbest winner since Bohemian Rhapsody winning Best Editing

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Visual Effects goes to Tenet

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Stephen Yuen's story about his mom taking him to see Terminator 2 as a kid is all of us

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That horrible George Clooney Netflix movie got a frigging Oscar nomination!?!?!?!?!?!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen it! Shhh.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ignis posted:

Octopus Teacher winning is probably the dumbest winner since Bohemian Rhapsody winning Best Editing
The better comparison is Icarus which the backhalf of is actually a pretty good documentary, but the first half is some rich rear end in a top hat trying to prove he could be a professional bicyclist if he wanted to.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

My Face When posted:

Real talk there was a lot of debbie downers for nominees this year.

The last time that happened was 2007 which is the greatest year in cinema of the 21st century.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Oh thank god! I don't have to be mad!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Tenet was a giant ball of nonsense, but it sure was cool-looking nonsense, so that's an okay Oscar to be the only thing it wins.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Supporting Actress goes to Yun-Jong Yuen

Well deserved

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Been looking forward to this speech, and so far it's not disappointing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's kinda funny that they are all dressed in these fancy gowns when the setting looks like a vegas show lounge.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

mcmagic posted:

It felt like it was trying to be American Psycho or Hard Candy bit palatable to a wider audience ala Harley Quinn ethos by always pulling up at just the last moment to never feel like you're a bad person. It felt cowardly.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

mcmagic posted:

That horrible George Clooney Netflix movie got a frigging Oscar nomination!?!?!?!?!?!

If youre talking about Hillbilly Elegy, yes! It got razzie nominated too.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Ah she is so great

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

ah okay

the film that one best live action short has a scene that's a literal recreation of the george floyd death along with the "I can't breath" line

He's stuck in a Groundhog Day time loop, so you get to see it lots of times. It's really gross!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I thought Hillbilly Elegy was done by Ron Howard?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Aww she got her Brad Pitt time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"I'm luckier than you" for greatest acceptance quote?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Chuka Umana posted:

I thought Hillbilly Elegy was done by Ron Howard?
They were talking about Midnight Sky

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

My Face When posted:

If youre talking about Hillbilly Elegy, yes! It got razzie nominated too.

He's in that!? No way.

I was talking about Midnight Sky.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

mcmagic posted:

He's in that!? No way.

I was talking about Midnight Sky.

Oh okay. I got confused. I knew there was some controversy behind Hillbilly Elegy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lid posted:

It felt like it was trying to be American Psycho or Hard Candy bit palatable to a wider audience ala Harley Quinn ethos by always pulling up at just the last moment to never feel like you're a bad person. It felt cowardly.

Seems like an extra bad time to reward the script for a movie that ends with the cops taking care of everything.