Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Horizon Zero Dawn... this game has the best drat snow physics I've seen. After a battle in the snow I can tell what happened by looking at the snow. Like, I can tell where I rolled to dodge laser beams, or where a machine crashed trying to tackle me, or where I jumped to trigger to slow-mo shoot ability. And when there's snow over tall grass, you can see bits of grass stick out where you've stepped. Looks drat good.

I also REALLY like how NPCs act when you have to follow them. If you're walking, they walk. If you jog, they jog. If you want to just sprint and get to the next objective asap, they break into a sprint. In the overworld anyways, doesn't behave the same in towns... but it's still a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I also like how it's at the same speed. So many games have it where an NPC's walk is faster than your walk but your run is faster than theirs. I get that some pacing is needed because of dialogue run time but drat.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yah i should have clarified. for such a little thing it makes a big difference

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best is the games that allow analog player speed input but only have two gears for NPCs, so if you walk at half speed they constantly do a weird little shuffle to stay at the right distance

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Shadowrun: Hong Kong has a whole suite of cybernetic upgrades you can implant in your character. Browsing the list, I ummed and erred over whether I should upgrade myself with a bionic arm that throws grenades back at your attacker. How often would I get a grenade thrown at me in-game? It was also suspiciously cheap.

Cue the next mission, where a large army of goons assaulted my squad, led by a huge troll with a grenade launcher. Every one of his shots was caught with a satisfying "plink" and thrown back at him and his friends. Did I mention grenades are massively OP in this game? He wiped out his entire team in 4 turns. The AI does not recognise the stupidity of repeatedly throwing grenades at a man with a magic arm, so now every fight has become a comedic farce. And there's an achievement for it.

Most fun I've had with a game in ages. I don't bother separating my team anymore, we just wander through every fight like a turtle of death, led by Captain Super-arms.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The news was finally confirmed: Capcom are localizing the Ace Attorney prequels that I assumed they were never gonna touch outside Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDwwJOQT6Js

And I already see some small details that confirm they're handling it right.

1. To avoid the Doyle estate, they renamed Sherlock Holmes to Herlock Sholmes--which is a historically faithful copyright dodge, the writer of the Arsene Lupin stories used the name to avoid breaching the copyright while Arthur Conan Doyle was still alive.

2. Holy poo poo, they're keeping the period-accurate virulent racism. It's in the trailer!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

The news was finally confirmed: Capcom are localizing the Ace Attorney prequels that I assumed they were never gonna touch outside Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDwwJOQT6Js

And I already see some small details that confirm they're handling it right.

1. To avoid the Doyle estate, they renamed Sherlock Holmes to Herlock Sholmes--which is a historically faithful copyright dodge, the writer of the Arsene Lupin stories used the name to avoid breaching the copyright while Arthur Conan Doyle was still alive.

2. Holy poo poo, they're keeping the period-accurate virulent racism. It's in the trailer!

Just a little indirect thing with the trailer, I like that videogame trailers have started crediting the English VA's.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Fallout 4 I like how the companions will walk away and do deals and talk with other people. Piper will try to interview people for her newspaper and Hancock will try and make business deals for example (like buying beer for Goodneighbor).

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
JRPGs only really require "Yes," "No," and "Menu" buttons, so the Suikoden games made every button on the controller that wasn't mapped to something a redundant input. The confirm button was X, but also L1 and R1. The third game has a fixed camera angle, so the right analog also moved your character because hey why not? The end result was a game that could be played entirely one-handed, left or right, switchable on the fly. Great for disabled people or just folks who want to snack while scrolling through NPC dialogue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nameless Pete posted:

JRPGs only really require "Yes," "No," and "Menu" buttons, so the Suikoden games made every button on the controller that wasn't mapped to something a redundant input. The confirm button was X, but also L1 and R1. The third game has a fixed camera angle, so the right analog also moved your character because hey why not? The end result was a game that could be played entirely one-handed, left or right, switchable on the fly. Great for disabled people or just folks who want to snack while scrolling through NPC dialogue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001ZUW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7FQNJVV8YD8NQKRFMH70

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is why Earthbound is the best game, you can play while eating some pizza!

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Vandar posted:

Werewolves are another one of those things I feel are sorely underrepresented in games as far as playable characters go.

Running round Skyrim as a werewolf and just destroying any bandits you came across was extremely satisfying.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Parkour in MH Rise is so good once you get the hang of it that it's going to make everything before it seem sluggish. The wirebug mechanic is nonsense from a physics perspective, but it's incredibly useful and natural.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the game is showing it's flaws more and more I am enjoying how manic Aeternoblade's plot is. There is a lot of weird poo poo involving corrupted gods destroying time and a three-way war between half-mortal families that ended in them deciding it was safer to inbreed to keep their bloodline superpowers pure. There are also interesting implications - at one point two of the three main characters get thrust into the future where everything's gone to poo poo but end up at different locations within it, and one of them gets confronted by his best friend (the third main character)'s insane future self who blames him for the catalclysm and has a boss fight . Then the other of the main characters in her stint in the future finds the first guys weapon, so ends up with all of his powers on top of hers. I'm assuming those weapons belonged to the version of him that never travelled in time and so got killed along the way, but I haven't seen him since the boss fight yet so don't know for sure if he's still alive to play as.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

In the cat cafe game, Calico, you can pick up and carry animals with you. Maybe you want to take more than one animal to a certain place? Take the first one and wear it on your head. If you are wearing a hat, the animal you put on your head will wear a tiny version of the hat. You can also give potions to animals to make them large enough to ride around the landscape, but you can still carry an animal on your head, wearing your hat, while doing this.
You can also pick up animals that are significantly bigger than you are directly over your head, with both arms fully extended, while running at full speed. You character moves like an olympic power lifter in casual day wear.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing Piper bodyslamming raiders twice her size in Fallout 4.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
i'm in the penultimate chapter now of Aeternoblade 2 (according to character dialog, I need to do this thing, then someone will do a thing to trigger the endgame area), and something really neat is that this late into the game it's still teaching new ways to use old mechanics/obstacles, which I really appreciate.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Small thing regarding robot dinosair design in Zero Dawn (actual spoilers) may not be spoilers... i am only just starting the Deep Secrets of the Earth quest... but I like that the Faro Robots of the past are horrific Lovecratian monstrosities (like the Metal Devils or the Corruptors) or extremely practical with zero frills (the Deathbringer is just a set of legs covered in guns... like a some custom horror from Chromehounds). Meanwhile all of the Miriam Robots that have terraformed the earth are designed after actual animals and fill a niche in the machine "biosphere". nice touch. took me until this far in to twig to why the Farobots felt so out of place.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sally posted:

Small thing regarding robot dinosair design in Zero Dawn (actual spoilers) may not be spoilers... i am only just starting the Deep Secrets of the Earth quest... but I like that the Faro Robots of the past are horrific Lovecratian monstrosities (like the Metal Devils or the Corruptors) or extremely practical with zero frills (the Deathbringer is just a set of legs covered in guns... like a some custom horror from Chromehounds). Meanwhile all of the Miriam Robots that have terraformed the earth are designed after actual animals and fill a niche in the machine "biosphere". nice touch. took me until this far in to twig to why the Farobots felt so out of place.

That's super good, and I feel like I didn't really appreciate it until the playthrough I'm slowly wrapping up now.
e: gently caress Ted Faro

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's super good, and I feel like I didn't really appreciate it until the playthrough I'm slowly wrapping up now.
e: gently caress Ted Faro

Right in the goddamn ear.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh! I just now, at this moment, realized I've been conflating the Horizon Games, and the NIER games together as one.

Never played either of the series, so just videos and memes and cultural osmosis from people talking about them. Was just an unconscious blending.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

...Now I want to play that blended game.

You honestly should play bot HZD and Nier. They both own.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
both feature badass women protagonists slaughtering machines in an openworld post-post-apocalypse

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh! I just now, at this moment, realized I've been conflating the Horizon Games, and the NIER games together as one.

Never played either of the series, so just videos and memes and cultural osmosis from people talking about them. Was just an unconscious blending.

NIER: horny machines
Horizon: dino machines

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

NIER: horny machines
Horizon: dino machines

Several of the machine creatures in Horizon Zero Dawn have horns. THere are ones based on a taurus for example,

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Johnny Aztec posted:

By some freaky co-incidence, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata and Zelda: Breath of the Wild all came out around the same time in 2017, and all accidentally touch on similar aesthetics and themes and backstories. You have lush overgrown ruins, ancient histories, ancient machines, open worlds.

But where they differ, you can categorize them by their political philosophies.

Horizon: Zero Dawn has a technocratic, liberal imperialist worldview. The physical sciences can be solved using pure computing power. The world has been terraformed into a paradise: multiple times. But the world has been thrown out of balance by someone sabotaging the education system of the world, people have been made artificially ignorant. But these ignorant-yet-clever techno-barbarians have been randomly turning ancient subsystems on-and-off, and in doing so have accidentally unleashed terrible evils that could destroy . Aloy/Player Character is completely enlightened with 21st century knowledge and cultural values, and therefore has to rise to the occasion and bring enlightenment to the world. While the story doesn't explicitly say so, it implies that only Aloy is the person who is right to run the world.

Nier: Automata has a revolutionary philosophy. The world has been trapped in meaningless stasis for 40 thousand years, this cannot continue, the distant descendants of humanity: androids and machine lifeforms, must break free of 21st century human values of war and conquest and forge their own destiny.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most conservative, backwards looking. Things were mostly fine until some outside force destroyed the world. The ultimate goal of Link and Zelda is to restore the old Hylian monarchy that was destroyed by Ganon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phobophilia posted:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most conservative, backwards looking. Things were mostly fine until some outside force destroyed the world. The ultimate goal of Link and Zelda is to restore the old Hylian monarchy that was destroyed by Ganon.

I find it interesting to compare BotW's outlook with Age of Calamity's because it takes the interesting sequel approach of disagreeing with the original.

You do still have the 'preserve the older society against the outside destroyer' general angle, but while BotW very clearly and explicitly believes 'the old ways are best and will see us through if we give them the chance', Age of Calamity instead says 'actually, maybe tradition is bullshit and we should embrace better options when they're available'. The whole story diverts essentially based on 'what if Zelda got the space to embrace her interest in technology', and it turns out being given the option instead of relying solely on ancient sealing magic lets them hold back the Calamity. It lets them retake and use the Divine Beasts, saves the life of King Rhoam (by sheer dumb luck on his part but still), lets them use the Great Plateau as a staging area to fight back instead of a last hope, and lets them actually shut down the Calamity instead of letting it take Hyrule Castle and lay waste to the land.

Age of Calamity puts its foot down and says technology isn't evil or a distraction from practiced old ways. It turns out that the true evil is actual evil, and anything that helps fight evil is good enough to wield against it.

That game really impressed me, honestly.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Phobophilia posted:

Nier: Automata has a revolutionary philosophy. The world has been trapped in meaningless stasis for 40 thousand years, this cannot continue, the distant descendants of humanity: androids and machine lifeforms, must break free of 21st century human values of war and conquest and forge their own destiny.

Question: I remember reading the LP of the original Nier and that game was... really bleak. Does Nier: Automata have a similar tone? Or have things lightened up a bit?

Alien Arcana has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Apr 26, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alien Arcana posted:

Question: I remember reading the LP of the original Nier and that game was... really bleak. Does Nier: Automata have a similar tone? Or have things lightened up a bit?

Hahahahahahahahahah. :allears:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

EDIT: VVV Okay, that's all the answer I needed, thanks.

There's a lot of sadness in Automata, but a lot of fun, too. There were definitely times that felt completely bleak. But it's a worthwhile and moving experience if you see it through all the way to the end.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hahahahahahahahahah. :allears:

Okay yeah that's about what I expected. Thanks :shobon:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

Okay yeah that's about what I expected. Thanks :shobon:

It''s tough to answer the question without spoilers, but I think that while Automata can still be grim, I don't think it hits the lows of the original.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of Automata (which i just played cause its on Gamepass): 2B has to kill 9S because he got infected with machine stuff right after you fight against angry anime pretty boy (not to be confused with smug anime pretty boy!) And its like super tragic but...he just came down from the bunker, his last backup is like 15 minutes old. They make a big deal about how they lose the one version of him thats here right now but pretty much all he loses is the memory of the boss fight. Did i miss something on why this particular death is supposed to be so tragic?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Shai-Hulud posted:

On the topic of Automata (which i just played cause its on Gamepass): 2B has to kill 9S because he got infected with machine stuff right after you fight against angry anime pretty boy (not to be confused with smug anime pretty boy!) And its like super tragic but...he just came down from the bunker, his last backup is like 15 minutes old. They make a big deal about how they lose the one version of him thats here right now but pretty much all he loses is the memory of the boss fight. Did i miss something on why this particular death is supposed to be so tragic?

You haven't missed anything, although that 9S being dead forever is pretty tragic imo. 'Why is 2b so affected by this?' is left open as a question to the player, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shai-Hulud posted:

The game starts with the same thing happening pretty much and 2B is just as sentimental about it then. Not sure how far in you are due to the nature of Automata but take it as another clue she cares about preserving unbroken memories more than just preserving memories like most Yorha soldiers.

edit: Also, he's going to forget she had to do that, but she won't. Ever.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Apr 26, 2021

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The game's far from over at ending A, there's later information which will shed a lot of light on that scene.

Spoilers for later: She's had to kill him numerous times, each time erasing all his memories of their time together

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
But why would it matter to her? Death is pretty much meaningless to the androids as they just respawn in the bunker with a shiny new body. Well while the bunker is still there. I finished the game so no need to hold back with spoilers for me You'd think that after doing this stuff for thousands of years they would be pretty used to it. "Oh you had to detonate your blackbox to take down the enemy which took out your whole squad? Yeah that sucks, anyway they are all down at the bar having drinks, go join em!"
Doing the whole "This death is so tragic!!!" with immortal machines kinda fell flat for me.

Not saying that i might have just missed some stuff or misunderstood it because i'm to dumb though! That game is a loving lot to take in!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

He loses a lot more than 15 minutes. 2B's job as an android is to keep tabs on 9S, and if it looks like he's working out what's going on, kill him and delete enough memories that it'll be a while before that happens again. No meeting at the bar for drinks because afterwards 9S doesn't know her any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Ok i must have missed the memory deletion part of it. The first time they died it made sense that 9S wouldn't remember since his last backup was from before he met 2B. But that other particular death seemed less dramatic since he just came down from the bunker so he would have just been backed up.
I might just read some weirdos article about it to get me up to speed since it looks like some of it just went right past me!