Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At least as of a year ago, there was still positive support for having troops and bases in at least syria and iraq and kuwait and Afghanistan was hovering just under 50% support. If it's moved almost 30 points in the other direction, that's a pretty substantial shift in a relatively short period of time.

I guess that bodes well for Diamond Joe then, because the most obvious reason why that would be is that people trust him to be making the right decision by making this call whereas they did not trust Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/1386421950612840449?s=20

Great article that shows how the police can be improved. Hire more Black/Brown officers, retrain them so they use force as a last resort and when they had to use force they were held accountable and had to report it in detail which was then followed up by a supervisor checking said report.

Interesting, thanks for posting. I was assuming that the DoJ intervention in Minneapolis won't change a single thing, but maybe it will? Thank gently caress it's still not Trump's DoJ.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sanguinia posted:

I guess that bodes well for Diamond Joe then, because the most obvious reason why that would be is that people trust him to be making the right decision by making this call whereas they did not trust Trump.

This might just be the crux of the issue. I've long thought we can accomplish nothing in Afghanistan but that any withdrawal done by Trump would be done in the most disastrous way possible.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This might just be the crux of the issue. I've long thought we can accomplish nothing in Afghanistan but that any withdrawal done by Trump would be done in the most disastrous way possible.

I mean...we had proof that any troop withdrawal by Trump would be done in the most disastrous way possible because he did pull out our military support in the most disastrous way possible once already.

So yeah, 100% on board with waiting until we had someone other than a senile, narcissistic clown in charge.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sanguinia posted:

Maybe? idk partisan stuff aside, it's really hard to make any case with Afghanistan that our presence is anything other than spending huge amounts of money to delay the inevitable. I suspect that's probably more a factor than personal trust of biden or whatever.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kalit posted:

Interesting, thanks for posting. I was assuming that the DoJ intervention in Minneapolis won't change a single thing, but maybe it will? Thank gently caress it's still not Trump's DoJ.

Eh, Portland’s police have been involved with the DoJ since Obama, their response this whole time has been so wipe their rear end with the DoJ critiques.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Eh, Portland’s police have been involved with the DoJ since Obama, their response this whole time has been so wipe their rear end with the DoJ critiques.

drat. Do you know if the Portland's police chief is welcome of the DoJ investigation? Our mayor and police chief both are, so I'm hoping it'll be more welcoming of critiques/implementing changes...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/1386421950612840449?s=20

Great article that shows how the police can be improved. Hire more Black/Brown officers, retrain them so they use force as a last resort and when they had to use force they were held accountable and had to report it in detail which was then followed up by a supervisor checking said report.

This reminds me of a CNN article from a few years ago that examined the four-year streak Buffalo, New York had without a fatal officer-involved shooting. Obviously it doesn't solve anywhere near every issue with policing in America, but simply training and encouraging cops not to shoot people has a substantial effect on shootings!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Grossman is one of the big problems with cops shooting people. He should never be allowed to train or lecture them again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MonsterEnvy posted:

Grossman is one of the big problems with cops shooting people. He should never be allowed to train or lecture them again.

"why do police keep shooting people" makes a lot more sense when you realize that much of police training emphasizes that you could be murdered at all times, and many academies use videos of officers getting killed while waving neon signs saying THIS COULD BE YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Can the DoJ do more then?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

There was 4 years of Trump who probably cancelled whatever they had doing under Obama.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

There was 4 years of Trump who probably cancelled whatever they had doing under Obama.

Eh, it sounds more like PPB not wanting to follow the DoJ orders: https://www.opb.org/article/2021/04/07/portland-police-bureau-force-us-department-justice/

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
My half of the family under my mom were progressive expats, my uncle's half of the family was much earlier established in the united states and were card-carrying republicans.

That side of the family was brutally self-owned out of being conservative. At some point, even as a fine upstanding suit-wearing Model Minority, you're forced to painfully realize that you can be as proper as you can and you can act perfectly and with all the decorum that conservatives expect of you, and you will wake up to find yourself still treated like absolute poo poo beneath their heels

because, ultimately, the ideology is about a certain type of person and you will never be that person.

(this was especially hard on them because they had undergone the same learning process in other countries)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Donald trump has dropped a baby at the mar la go after saying "lemme get that baby in my one hand"

This is a big development in the post presidential trump stream and we expect the right will claim the baby was an antifa super soldier and Trump only dropped it to stop inevitable assassination

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I mean, I'm not saying that didn't happen but if it did it would be manna from heaven for the networks who have been cut off from their trump insanity drip feed of attention-grabbing news and forestall all thread derails for at least two days.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Kavros posted:

I mean, I'm not saying that didn't happen but if it did it would be manna from heaven for the networks who have been cut off from their trump insanity drip feed of attention-grabbing news and forestall all thread derails for at least two days.

One of the biggest stories on national news the other night was rising copper and lumber prices. Trump dropping a baby would be like the second coming for them.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

John Oliver talked about this guy on his show and mentioned that even when departments/municipalities ban the training, the police union might encourage their members to attend the training independently and shield them from any kind of punishment for the defiance.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Sanguinia posted:

One of the biggest stories on national news the other night was rising copper and lumber prices.

We had Nanni on CNN's Roundtable regarding deliveries of substandard copper generating complaints.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kalit posted:

drat. Do you know if the Portland's police chief is welcome of the DoJ investigation? Our mayor and police chief both are, so I'm hoping it'll be more welcoming of critiques/implementing changes...

gently caress no, ppb leadership is completely irredeemable.

Also once we're farther away from the immediacy of it all, what happened in portland with the police and feds waging a months long war and repeatedly getting caught collaborating with neo-nazi militias to suppress racial justice protesters is going to be a huge loving shame on the city and state . It already is, obviously, just a lot of people still seem to minimally buy into the narrative that the whole thing was in some way mutual and merited even 1/100th of the police response it got.

And the portland police bureau were front and center of it all, gleefully attacking peaceful people the entire time. That's not hyperbole, either.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 26, 2021

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Kalit posted:

Portland’s police commissioner is also the mayor, and this weekend he issued a plea for citizens to report license plates of cars carrying anyone in black clothing who might be antifa. He said “it’s time to make them hurt.”

So I’m not really holding my breath on police reform.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kalit posted:

Frey and Arradondo, like Lisa Bender, welcome the DOJ's investigation and inevitable consent decree because it removes them from any responsibility for the path forward. "I hear you, but our hands are tied. Blame the feds/judge/monitor", they'll be able to say when there are complaints that change isn't coming fast enough and when there are complaints that the reforms keep cops from dealing with "those people".

It's worth remembering that part of Frey getting in was the MPD loudly whining through the press and in many public interactions that downtown had become unsafe because they couldn't arrest, hold, and release Black Minnesotans for precrime loitering and spitting. Literally, "Hodges won't let us do our jobs". It's part of a pattern of MPD behavior, as noted by councilmember Fletcher here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MplsWard3/status/1267891878801915904
I'm pessimistic that the council's efforts for reform and/or abolition would have gone anywhere, so I think Justice coming in will be beneficial compared to what would have otherwise occurred. But it's a boon to the worst people in Minneapolis politics.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Read this article if you want to really see what a piece of poo poo he is.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This video is also worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzQrbio2Qw

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Pretty funny and telling that Grossman never killed anyone. And he writes about it. Murica.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Welp. Reuters.com has paywalled itself. I have used this site for decent sources of news fairly quickly after the events occur and now it's dead.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Pretty funny and telling that Grossman never killed anyone. And he writes about it. Murica.

I've been rewatching that video in posted and, while I am an atheist, his rhetoric comes closer to convincing me of the existence of the devil than almost anything else.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Welp. Reuters.com has paywalled itself. I have used this site for decent sources of news fairly quickly after the events occur and now it's dead.

Can't you just use Ape News? (That's what my brain always turns apnews into.)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

quote:

JUNEAU, Alaska -- Alaska Airlines has banned an Alaska state senator for refusing to follow mask requirements.

“We have notified Senator Lora Reinbold that she is not permitted to fly with us for her continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy,” spokesman Tim Thompson told the Anchorage Daily News on Saturday, adding that the suspension was effective immediately.

Reinbold, a Republican of Eagle River, said she had not been notified of a ban and that she hoped to be on an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future.

Last week, Reinbold was recorded in Juneau International Airport arguing with Alaska Airlines staff about mask policies. A video posted to social media appears to show airline staff telling Reinbold her mask must cover her nose and mouth.

Reinbold told the newspaper that had been inquiring about a “mask exemption with uptight employees at the counter."

“I was reasonable with all Alaska Airlines employees,” she said, adding that she was able to board the flight to Anchorage.

Reinbold has been a vocal opponent to COVID-19 mitigation measures and has repeatedly objected to Alaska Airlines’ mask policy, which was enacted before the federal government's mandate this year.

Last year, she referred to Alaska Airlines staff as “mask bullies” after being asked by flight attendants to wear a mask aboard a flight, the newspaper reported. After the incident, she reportedly sent a cake to some flight attendants bearing the inscription: “I’m sorry if I offended you.”

Alaska Airlines has banned over 500 people.

Thompson said the length of Reinbold's ban will be determined by a review.

It wasn't immediately known how Reinbold, who was in southcentral Alaska this weekend, would be able to get to Juneau where the legislative session resumes Monday. No other airline has scheduled flights between Anchorage and Juneau, and a ferry trip could take several days.

Lawmakers can participate in committee meetings by teleconference but cannot vote on the House or Senate floor remotely under current procedures.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/airline-bans-alaska-state-senator-violating-mask-rules-77300719

This is absolutely the feel-good news of the day.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Not going to envy the bush pilot who gets roped into flying her over.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Did this ever get cleared up?

"On his first day in office, President Joe Biden signed an executive order halting drilling permits for oil and gas operations on federal and tribal lands"

There are certain Indian Tribes that derive a lot of their income from oil and gas operations on Federal and Tribal Lands and are unhappy with the Biden Administration for unilaterally deciding that the Indians can't use the resources on their land to make money.

http://www.keweenawreport.com/news/indian-tribes-push-back-against-biden-administration/

article posted:

On his first day in office, President Joe Biden signed an executive order halting drilling permits for oil and gas operations on federal and tribal lands. That move drew a swift rebuke from the Ute Indian Tribe of the Uintah and Ouray Reservation. They have accused the federal government of breaking their treaty with the tribe. In a letter to the acting secretary of the Department of Energy, they wrote:

The Ute Indian Tribe of the Uintah and Ouray Reservation respectfully requests that you immediately amend Order No. 3395 to provide an exception for energy permits and approvals on Indian lands. The Ute Indian Tribe and other energy producing tribes rely on energy development to fund our governments and provide services to our members.

Your order is a direct attack on our economy, sovereignty, and our right to self-determination. Indian lands are not federal public lands. Any action on our lands and interests can only be taken after effective tribal consultation.

Order No. 3395 violates the United States treaty and trust responsibilities to the Ute Indian Tribe and violates important principles of tribal sovereignty and self-determination. Your order was also issued in violation [of] our government-to-government relationship, Executive Order No. 13175 on Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribal Governments, and Interior’s own Policy on Consultation with Tribal Governments.

The Order must be withdrawn or amended to comply with Federal law and policies. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Luke Duncan, Chairman

Ute Indian Tribe Business Committee

Several North Dakota tribes have similar arrangements for oil and gas production on their lands. They have not joined the Utes in attacking Executive Order 3395 as a violation of their sovereignty yet, but they have condemned the decree.

The Keweenaw Bay Indian Community will be watching the issue closely in the coming weeks. Tribes here are active in commercial fishing, among other activities, that could be potentially curbed on environmental grounds in the future if the Biden Administration is successful in its halt on energy operations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Plek posted:

Not going to envy the bush pilot who gets roped into flying her over.

i want to be in the timeline where they give her the freedom she wants by ducktaping her to the outside of the plane.

alll the fresh air she can get. oh and they charge by the mile and take the longest path they can take.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PeterCat posted:

Did this ever get cleared up?

"On his first day in office, President Joe Biden signed an executive order halting drilling permits for oil and gas operations on federal and tribal lands"

There are certain Indian Tribes that derive a lot of their income from oil and gas operations on Federal and Tribal Lands and are unhappy with the Biden Administration for unilaterally deciding that the Indians can't use the resources on their land to make money.

http://www.keweenawreport.com/news/indian-tribes-push-back-against-biden-administration/

A few days later after he signed the order, the Interior Department "clarified" that Tribal lands were exempt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Epicurius posted:

A few days later after he signed the order, the Interior Department "clarified" that Tribal lands were exempt.

also i believe parts of it is still in courts in away that biden/ ID can't gently caress with at the moment.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thanks! Never know about the unintended consequences of things.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PhazonLink posted:

i want to be in the timeline where they give her the freedom she wants by ducktaping her to the outside of the plane.

alll the fresh air she can get. oh and they charge by the mile and take the longest path they can take.

This is not that far off from the reality of Craigslisting a flight to Anchorage from MikeTheHunter69 and having to meticulously weigh in so that the unavoidable chop is merely stomach-churning rather than fatal. I've met Alaskans who'd rather take the ferry than repeat doing that.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
To be fair, the ferry is pretty nice.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Plek posted:

To be fair, the ferry is pretty nice.

But you probably have to wear a mask, so...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"why do police keep shooting people" makes a lot more sense when you realize that much of police training emphasizes that you could be murdered at all times, and many academies use videos of officers getting killed while waving neon signs saying THIS COULD BE YOU

Can you blame them when there's a threat at every corner?

(This is another training video called Surviving Edges Weapons)

1glitch0 posted:

She'll just have to stay outside, or get thrown overboard if causing trouble

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Can you blame them when there's a threat at every corner?

(This is another training video called Surviving Edges Weapons)

You forgot one,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

1glitch0 posted:

kiddie raft towed behind. also the kiddie raft has its own tow that's a leaky raft of fish guts and blood.