Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Couldn't states mandate jobs like NJ and OR did with gas station attendants being the only ones allowed to pump gas...? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"Walmart jobs aren't jobs worth adults having!"

"Why are you enabling the automation away of all the Walmart jobs!?"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
weaponized insincerity

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Walmart would replace all employees and customers with robots if they could and will automate everything as soon as possible regardless of prevailing wage.

Some poor tech making $7.50/hr is going to have a Five Nights at Freddie's experience at Walmart one of these days.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is more easily achieved by giving most of the city with the exception of the mall and maybe foggy bottom or whatever back to Maryland, similar to when Alexandria was returned to Virginia. DC statehood doesn’t really make sense for a few reasons and I say this as somebody who unequivocally thinks PR should be either given full statehood or full independence

The population of DC doesn't want to be part of Maryland, which is a problem if you believe in the right of self-determination.

There's no reason why it doesn't make sense for DC to be a state, state borders are arbitrary, if we're going to have them (and we shouldn't imo or at least shouldn't have the senate) but if we are DC makes as much sense as Wyoming or Rhode Island

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

shouldn't have the senate

now THIS i can get behind

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

because DC is small both geographically and by population so enacting a grassroots campaign to get progressive third party senators and another rep could actually be effective. tactically and strategically it’s a no brainer. Glenn has a point, if you’re a loving idiot

how's that idea worked out in the rest of the states that are small both geographically and by population?

if u think about it the only moral position is mandatory slavery for the lower classes as that maximizes the amount of jobs

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I used to work for a company that makes POS systems and there has been a sustained push for full automation for well over 20 years, lol. The minimum wage is completely unimportant to that, given that its barely changed in that time.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"capitalism rewards maximizing profit. also companies will not actively try to maximize profit through automation unless we suddenly remind them that the minimum wage exists. i understand my ideology"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

"capitalism rewards maximizing profit. also companies will not actively try to maximize profit through automation unless we suddenly remind them that the minimum wage exists. i understand my ideology"

"Walmart, a company renowned for ruthlessly driving down labour costs by any means necessary, would surely not continue to drive down labour costs if we would just refrain from trying to raise labour costs"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

The population of DC doesn't want to be part of Maryland, which is a problem if you believe in the right of self-determination.

There's no reason why it doesn't make sense for DC to be a state, state borders are arbitrary, if we're going to have them (and we shouldn't imo or at least shouldn't have the senate) but if we are DC makes as much sense as Wyoming or Rhode Island

Yeah internal borders are arbitrary and make no sense and the senate is stupid and anti-democratic. I agree. But if your goal is getting representation to the people who live in DC then I don’t see a path for statehood given the current structure of the senate and the fact that like it or not it is mostly a cynical power move by Democrats and not something they actually strongly believe. On the other hand I think ceding the majority of the city back to Maryland is probably actually possible and at least gets them representation and stops some of the worst poo poo like city legislation getting to be overridden by congress and stuff idk

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
there's also the thing were we, y'know, didn't actually raise the minimum wage

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Every year the minimum wage isn't indexed to inflation it is lowered.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Walmart would replace all employees and customers with robots if they could and will automate everything as soon as possible regardless of prevailing wage.

Some poor tech making $7.50/hr is going to have a Five Nights at Freddie's experience at Walmart one of these days.

the thought of a computerized forklift is making me laugh my rear end off

Amazon's got them, but god, at loving Walmart lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Victory Position posted:

the thought of a computerized forklift is making me laugh my rear end off

Amazon's got them, but god, at loving Walmart lmao

Sometimes I think about that Ray Bradbury story about the automated house that keeps working after whatever unspecified apocalypse kills off humanity and it makes me giggle because I can’t imagine automation ever working that smoothly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Good.

Now tax them and use the money to support people staying home in a pandemic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

These people saying that automation is only employed as punishment for uppity workers are really exposing the vile heart of America with the greatest precision possible.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cerebral Bore posted:

how's that idea worked out in the rest of the states that are small both geographically and by population?

like Vermont?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

like Vermont?

i feel i have to express a reservation or two to a plan where the best case scenario is getting another ineffectual dingus or two who will still get right behind the imperial murder machine when whoever's running it has a d next to their name

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

another ineffectual dingus or two could do an inordinate amount of good in our current government, like when Bernie forced the $600/week payments last year, or forced additional federal subsidies to Medicaid during the Obamacare debates. it’s silly to just dismiss out of hand when the Democrats are already on board with giving DC statehood

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
buddy i think you're in the wrong subforum, d&d is thataway

and once again, another bernie is the best case scenario. he's also the most extreme outlier. the likely scenario is that you get some blood-gargling rightwing psycho riding in on a wave of billionaire cash lured by the siren song of a safe seat for a pet senator or two, much like in literally every other state that falls under the criteria you described

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Sometimes I think about that Ray Bradbury story about the automated house that keeps working after whatever unspecified apocalypse kills off humanity and it makes me giggle because I can’t imagine automation ever working that smoothly

It doesn't. At the end of the story the house burns down.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

There Will Come Soft Rains

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

It doesn't. At the end of the story the house burns down.

Right, but only after some unspecified period of continued function I guess it’s left ambiguous but I got the sense it was supposed to be a long time of futile function. I could be misremembering I guess

Dreylad posted:

There Will Come Soft Rains

That’s the one

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

the likely scenario is that you get some blood-gargling rightwing psycho riding in on a wave of billionaire cash lured by the siren song of a safe seat for a pet senator or two

lol sure

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

which one is it? literally cultural appropriation or is it borderline?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i better stick to my own race and nationality. don’t want to learn anything about any other group of people or else i might accidentally culturally appropriate

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

libs literally "reasoning" themselves into segregation, but woke, will never not be incredibly hilarious to me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

This is only very slightly less hot than “it’s cultural appropriation for Americans to speak English”.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Yet another entry in the long series of liberals not understanding a concept yet end up using it all the loving time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
at this point i have come to the regrettable conclusion that we shouldn't let liberals learn or use words

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Platystemon posted:

This is only very slightly less hot than “it’s cultural appropriation for Americans to speak English”.

it’s only because of colonialism that people speak English in the British Isles at all

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pirate Radar posted:

it’s only because of colonialism that people speak English in the British Isles at all
The world would be better off if Anglos abandoned language entirely as foreign/cultural appropriation, so the liberal might have a point.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Oneiros posted:

libs literally "reasoning" themselves into segregation, but woke, will never not be incredibly hilarious to me

:hmmyes:

Cerebral Bore posted:

at this point i have come to the regrettable conclusion that we shouldn't let liberals learn or use words

:hai:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Oneiros posted:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s just what happens when you try to understand criticisms of the status quo while being unable to see any problems with the status quo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The world would be better off if Anglos abandoned language entirely as foreign/cultural appropriation, so the liberal might have a point.

I can’t tell if this is the joke but that’s the plot of Metal Gear Solid V

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Oneiros posted:

A lot of the time its less "Libs" and more "Teens".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

A lot of the time its less "Libs" and more "Teens".

https://aavenb.carrd.co/#list