Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

As a fan of Chris Wideman I can confidently say I hope he retires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Either way I can't see him ever really fighting again.

I can see him trying to

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'd say he hasn't really been fighting for a while now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They’ll give him one more fight against a bum so he can go out on a better note

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
On one hand I'm still glad I didn't buy 261 because 15,000 people in an arena during a pandemic is disgusting and wrong, but on the other hand WOW THIS loving CARD

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah on paper it looked "ok pretty good" and in execution was great save for the Shevchenko/Andrade fight because it was fairly lopsided

Usman has easily solidified himself as an all time great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Yeah on paper it looked "ok pretty good" and in execution was great save for the Shevchenko/Andrade fight because it was fairly lopsided

Usman has easily solidified himself as an all time great.

I'd debate that about Usman simply because Welterweight is in kind of a weak spot at the moment. Usman's really loving good, and his transformation from 'solid wrestler' to 'Dudley from Street Fighter 3' is impressive as hell, but he's stuck in a period when there's few to really demonstrate it on.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
wow rob doesn't want the izzy fight, guess it has to be vettori

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id...-impossible-him

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Chris Weidman is about to turn 37 (in june) - Silva took a year and a month to come back from his leg break. So he'll be at least 38 before he's back in the ring. That's probably it for him right?
Maybe one more to get the comeback and then retire? Either way I can't see him ever really fighting again.

On the plus side Chris didn't get any brain damage this fight which is a change from his standard fight since he lost the belt.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TheKingslayer posted:

It's like watching 90s heavyweight boxing again. Nearly every hit was knocking sweat off dudes like that.

I was trying to remember where I'd seen that happen before and yes, it was my childhood.

Great loving card. Shame to see Zhang put away without much back and forth, but it was pretty loving impressive. Looking forward to Roses international MMA initiative.

Didn't expect to see that in the weidman fight. I think its the second part of a curse. We'll see if Uriah smashes his shinbone on someone in the twilight of his career. Anderson Silva may have insulted a witch, or possibly Dana did. More likely that dana and the ufc got hexed though. Wanna see that fuckin x ray.

Poor old jimmy crute huh. loving critical hit. His leg was so loving jacked. Why does something like that not happen to habitual kick checkers, like hunto and the gang? Has the calf only really become fair game recently or is it taking advantage of angles where a check is more difficult in the first place? I think Smith got away with that one, I thought I saw Crute catching him in round 2 maybe? Impressive performance.

I didn't think Shevchenko was going to handle Andrade quite as easily, but shes big at that weight and just eminently competent. Impressive in its lopsidedness. Shes frustratingly far ahead of the competition at 125 and I doubt she'll ever agree to fight amanda again at 135 unless it really is like, her last hurrah before retirement. What to do with womens 125?

Masvidal got what was coming to him it was spectacular. Usmans extremely impressive at 170. I wonder what he'd be like at 185? He's six foot so he's not immediately dwarfed by most guys. He should fight weidman in 5 years at 185.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

He should fight weidman in 5 years at 185.

I don't think anyone who likes weidman wants to see usman vs weidman in 5 years

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Southpaugh posted:

Why does something like that not happen to habitual kick checkers, like hunto and the gang? Has the calf only really become fair game recently or is it taking advantage of angles where a check is more difficult in the first place?
It's placement. A proper check has your femur and knee pointed in the direction the shin is swinging in at. Gonna be shin to shin contact.
Even if you are checking toward their ankle, there's less chance the instep will wrap around and hit the muscle behind your shinbone.
That's what happened here, Smith's instep dug into the tendons and hamstring behind the knee.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Great loving card. Shame to see Zhang put away without much back and forth, but it was pretty loving impressive. Looking forward to Roses international MMA initiative.

Poor old jimmy crute huh. loving critical hit. His leg was so loving jacked. Why does something like that not happen to habitual kick checkers, like hunto and the gang? Has the calf only really become fair game recently or is it taking advantage of angles where a check is more difficult in the first place? I think Smith got away with that one, I thought I saw Crute catching him in round 2 maybe? Impressive performance.

The way Rose threw that head kick in so quickly and nonchalantly was aces.

I thought Smith was looking good on the feet but it was hilarious when he was easily taken down by one legged Jimmy.

Usman is scary now. I thought he looked a little wild and less composed at the end of round one, but then he immediately murdered Jorge shortly after. What an insane night.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's placement. A proper check has your femur and knee pointed in the direction the shin is swinging in at. Gonna be shin to shin contact.
Even if you are checking toward their ankle, there's less chance the instep will wrap around and hit the muscle behind your shinbone.
That's what happened here, Smith's instep dug into the tendons and hamstring behind the knee.

What happened to Crute is like, the ideal thing my coach initially told us about leg kicks. It's really cool to see it just work like that.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/jakepaul/status/1386387138653081600?s=20

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
here i find myself in 100% agreeance with jake paul.

go jake. go.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

if he beats dc in a boxing match maybe ufc fighters can get finally get paid

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
What the hell kind of purple mutagen did Dana have next to him in the postfight presser? Looks like the goo from I think the power rangers movie?

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2021

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Pingiivi posted:

GSP is back with more GQ stuff. Of course he bought some fossils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpfGk8ms3aY

Paying off your parent's debt is the dream. GSP is a good dude.

So is too early to call Usman the MAGA killer yet?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hollandia posted:

What the hell kind of purple mutagen did Dana have next to him in the postfight presser? Looks like the goo from I think the power rangers movie?

Pretty sure that is Lex Luther

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/Thebeast_ufc/status/1386150370163011585

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Joey McChrist posted:

he turned masvidals head into a planetarium

shoutout to the cornerman who poured water all over jorge’s head for helping this image become reality

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Forceholy posted:

Paying off your parent's debt is the dream. GSP is a good dude.

So is too early to call Usman the MAGA killer yet?

Usman himself is MAGA. He's the MAGA highlander, by defeating other conservative fighters he gains their powers

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mewse posted:

I don't think anyone who likes weidman wants to see usman vs weidman in 5 years

I don't understand houw anyone could like Weidman, hes a charisma vacuum except for the making GBS threads anecdotes I guess. I'm just not confident the guy will retire. Despite it being an entirely retire bitch moment.

kimbo305 posted:

:hai:

Eustace posted:

Usman himself is MAGA. He's the MAGA highlander, by defeating other conservative fighters he gains their powers

Explain yourself.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Explain yourself.

Sorry, had a friend tell me this and like the rube that I am I believed him. Cant find anything about it except that Usman was open to meeting with trump at the White House.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can't wait for Dana to shut down a presser where Usman asks Colby to just acknowledge and say "Black Lives Matter."

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Hell, he's right

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
imagine hustling and scamming your way to the top only to get owned by an idiot youtuber. he's probably still crying angry tears of blood hours later.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

you know things are loving atrocious when Jake Paul is the good guy in the argument, and is making a not only valid point, but the right one.

hosed to think that if weidman had snapped his leg in the days leading up to the fight in training, he'd have almost no chance of the ufc actually paying for the life altering surgery he requires.

and to add on to that, it's only an assumption at this point that the ufc have actually paid for and facilitated weidman's surgery because it happened during the fight.
"independent contractors" and all that. dudes get injured at press events for the ufc or have their fights pulled at the last second and have to fight tooth and nail for the pittance show money which is already mostly spent.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Southpaugh posted:

I don't understand houw anyone could like Weidman, hes a charisma vacuum except for the making GBS threads anecdotes I guess. I'm just not confident the guy will retire. Despite it being an entirely retire bitch moment.
I never liked him because he beat some of my favourite fighters and I'm spiteful like that, but he's just an athletically gifted empty vessel for Serra-Longo who never has and never will have an iota of self-doubt, and that's going to result in a further and ugly decline. The best thing I can say about him is that he never popped positive when taking lots of short-notice fights in an era where juice was rampant.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 26, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shumagorath posted:

I never liked him because he beat some of my favourite fighters and I'm spiteful like that, but he's just an athletically gifted empty vessel for Serra-Longo who never has and never will have an iota of self-doubt, and that's going to result in a further and ugly decline. The best thing I can say about him is that he never popped positive when taking lots of short-notice fights in an era where juice was rampant.

The one observation that gives me pause on him is how hard his decline correlated to the IV rehydration ban. I feel like he looked much bigger in the Silva and Rockhold fights than he has in his more recent ones.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

crepeface posted:

wow rob doesn't want the izzy fight, guess it has to be vettori

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id...-impossible-him

That isn't fair to Bobby Knuckles. His reasons why are valid on why he isn't taking the fight.

quote:

"More or less, I was offered the fight about an hour after my fight with Gastelum," Whittaker said. "There was just no way, physically, I could do that. Not only do I have injuries from that last fight to deal with, I have to fly home to Australia, and then two weeks in [mandatory] isolation. I have to see how my body was feeling, and then I'd have to prepare; all by June. It was impossible."

"I can see what Izzy is trying to do," Whittaker said. "He's trying to get me to accept the fight injured, on short notice, with all odds against me, but there was just no way I could get there physically. I do want that fight, and my next fight will be for the title. It has to be. He was just really adamant about fighting on that date and I can't do it. I'm happy to fight the winner after."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Totally legit pushback from Whittaker, but would Izzy have any say in the schedule?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I want to hate him, but he sure is right here.

That'll make his career total what, like 1?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ilmucche posted:

I want to hate him, but he sure is right here.

That's the lovely thing about the Internet, it's totally okay to hate them both.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

That'll make his career total what, like 1?

Can't say I remember him throwing too many leg kicks, lots of head kicks though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did all of the KO'd fighters get interviewed on Saturday? I definitely remember Zhang and Masvidal; when did that policy change?

CommonShore posted:

The one observation that gives me pause on him is how hard his decline correlated to the IV rehydration ban. I feel like he looked much bigger in the Silva and Rockhold fights than he has in his more recent ones.
Good point. I can't remember the last time we saw the original Wide Man but the Rockhold fight sounds about right.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, he immediately announced that he would drop some weight due to the IV-ban, and then went straight on to lose his next three fights. The ban took place in October 2015 and his first fight afterwards was Rockhold in December. Correlation does not equal causation, but it sure was some correlation all right.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Weidman not cheating is about as likely as Renan Barao not cheating to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

Can't say I remember him throwing too many leg kicks, lots of head kicks though.

His mixup high kicks are a pretty big part of his standup. Might eat into his gas a lot, but I like them.

Freudian slippers posted:

Correlation does not equal causation, but it sure was some correlation all right.

And until it was banned, IV rehydration could have been completely clean, right? Like rehydrating quickly has significant value to weight cut recovery outside of masking/messing with drug detection. Just saying that it shouldn't necessarily cast a big shadow of doubt on someone who otherwise stood out in not being afraid of testing.