Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Blot literally means "blood sacrifice"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Josef bugman posted:

So I'm planning on reforming the Norse Faith. Is there way to keep Blots and not have the human sacrifice?
Tenet Gruesome Festivals enables Blots, not Human Sacrifice. Anyway, you can't have Blots without Gruesome Festivals

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Just choose the no-human-sacrifice option every time and pretend the others don't exist.

I've held a lot of blots, had lots of prisoners every time, and never got a prompt for a chief sacrifice. I haven't noticed any prisoners dying in the blot at all, but I may have missed that. Do I need some special kind of prisoner?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When will we get the völsablót DLC?

:nws: I guess if you work in s nunnery

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this is the völsi blót of good fortune. you must post "May Mörnir receive the holy sacrifice!" or you will be blood eagle'd within the year!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Azhais posted:

Blot literally means "blood sacrifice"

I mean I am fine sacrificing a tonne of horses/cows/sheep/pigs. Because there is good eating on them.

It'll just have to be roleplaying, well I am cool with that. Plan is to have my 76 year old King of Norgr do a mass sacrifice and then have a sudden shacking awareness of all the murder he's done and reform the faith. Kind of like Ashoka but more personal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

pidan posted:

I've held a lot of blots, had lots of prisoners every time, and never got a prompt for a chief sacrifice. I haven't noticed any prisoners dying in the blot at all, but I may have missed that. Do I need some special kind of prisoner?

There isn't a prompt, you have to (after choosing an option for human sacrifice from the blot planning event) manually go to your prison and designate a single prisoner as Chief Sacrifice (it'll be an interaction option in their right click menu).

I THINK this is mentioned in the tooltip for that event option but I can't remember.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

There isn't a prompt, you have to (after choosing an option for human sacrifice from the blot planning event) manually go to your prison and designate a single prisoner as Chief Sacrifice (it'll be an interaction option in their right click menu).

I THINK this is mentioned in the tooltip for that event option but I can't remember.

Ah, nice, thanks! I'll try that at my next blot.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Becoming Caliph was a huge mistake. It overwrote all my succession laws and generally screwed with my entire realm.

Also, my idiot grandson and first son's only son went and converted to Ibadism and now I have to decide whether to let my new character's brother succeed and play a string of old guys or to just give the Caliphate to my other brother with 33 learning.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
For the people who try playing small, do you find there's enough to do when you choose not to grow your realm beyond reasonable borders? Like, are there enough things going on within your borders?

The idea of this appeals to me a lot more than painting the map, I'm just not sure what you actually do if you aren't pressing claims and raising your armies all the time to see your number go up. I'd like to poke around in my vassals' courts and stuff, but it doesn't seem like anything happening there would be especially impactful, unless I'm missing something.

I suppose you can always turn the speed up really fast if nothing much is going on, and focus on technology and buildings. I always want a dozen more active decisions to make, you'd think there would be mods that add more than the typical feast, pilgrimage and hunt.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When I play small, I usually make sure I start as a vassal to somewhere bigger. If I dislike my liege, it gives me ample opportunity to make him miserable. If I like him, I spend a lot of time making sure they're successful.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Lately, I have taken great joy from loving with France.

They had a boy emperor ascend to the throne, and one of the first things he did was imprison and kill his strongest vassal, which of course makes that vassal's son hate him.

So for decades I have taken a territory here or there to try and clean some of these borders and I just undid all of that by Holy Warring for Poitou since it's like, the one duchy I could take that will most throw their entire empire into chaos.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When I play small, I usually make sure I start as a vassal to somewhere bigger. If I dislike my liege, it gives me ample opportunity to make him miserable. If I like him, I spend a lot of time making sure they're successful.

Yeah this is pretty much my goal. And do my best to use partition to spread my dynasty within the realm.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Internal management is still a bit weak (and you'd think there'd be mods for a greater variety of schemes or slice-of-life decisions but, alas, not yet).

Setting a goal of realm development and building and keeping the plates spinning long enough for that to happen is one thing (though if you're big enough that there are no internal or external threats to interrupt this -- which is very easy to accomplish! -- then it's just Number Go Up which gets dull), but there's also managing the external situation - if you're a vassal, manipulating or supporting your liege or other characters you like within the realm. If you're independent and done expanding, scheme to advance your dynasty or religion by planting random relatives on indepedent foreign thrones via inheritance and/or various scales of murder.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 26, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a way (or good mods for) vassal contract management en masse?

Getting tired of some random duke catapulting themselves on the council because of a weak hook on my heir as soon they inherit and want to be able to review all vassal contracts (and ideally standardize them on Scutage / Forced Partition with high taxes and low levies). This might be a pain point just because I'm a massive Empire at this point in the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Not in Vanilla, no.

One more feature I'd love to see is more involvement with the council. Like why did you agree to the independence of half of Aquitaine there King? Would love to have had the chance to encourage him to fight, in exchange for backing him up in said fight.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I haven't played since launch because I get distracted easily. Did they fix the AI tendency of making non-matrinileal marriages even if your culture favours women rulers?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes. If anything they are now overly aggressive about it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When reforming a religion, is there any reason to pick Pursuit of Power over Warmonger and Gruesome Festivals over Human Sacrifice?

From looking at them, they do the same thing but the first gives vassal relation penalties and the second is missing the raid for captives casus belli so I'm not quite sure what the point of them is.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
-50% Tyranny Gain and not *having* to be at war? But also PoP can be taken by Cristians while Warmonger can't, I think is the main thrust of it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Serephina posted:

not *having* to be at war?

Does not compute.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Does not compute.

I'd say the warmonger penalties are more about if you want your vassals to be somewhat stable and not have massive popular opinion penalties all the time. Weak AI vassals simply don't wage war often enough to keep the warmonger penalties away, especially if you have crown authority 3/4.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

When reforming a religion, is there any reason to pick Pursuit of Power over Warmonger and Gruesome Festivals over Human Sacrifice?

From looking at them, they do the same thing but the first gives vassal relation penalties and the second is missing the raid for captives casus belli so I'm not quite sure what the point of them is.

Gruesome Festivals allows Blots (but somehow it's available for non-Norse faiths so presumably they, like, rename the decision/event or something). I'm honestly not convinced that it removing the Raid for Captives CB wasn't an oversight but until then I guess that's just the trade.

For pursuit of power - yeah, basically if you have access to Warmonger then you're basically trading off GHWs, Berserkers, and less revolts while you paint the map for "cheaper titles, less tyranny, and making Ambitious a virtue" so....

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another summer patch preview DD. This time more childhood/lifestyle events, which seems like a universally good thing.

After the varying degrees of mess from the last couple EU4 and to a lesser extent Stellaris releases I’m increasingly happy they’re seemingly taking their time with CK3 stuff so far.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I don't remember who posted about the Pillaging legacy being nice, but they weren't kidding. You gain so much prestige/fame that it kind of breaks the game as a tribe. This was one of several battles I had where the enemy kept throwing their army into mine, giving me well over 1k fame each time. I'm halfway to the legacy that gives you gold for kills, which is going to fuel my conversion to feudal and endless retinues.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Yeah, it's super strong, and makes me hopeful for more culture- or region-exclusive legacy trees. Going from playing Norse to playing as Mongolian just feels so empty without the insane prestige gains from fights and money from kills.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so when’s the best time to feudalize/clanize? is it just when you have lots and lots of gold

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The best time to feudalize is as soon as you can. Only reason to wait is to build up a bunch of gold.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so when’s the best time to feudalize/clanize? is it just when you have lots and lots of gold

It's whenever you feel like you can support the number of MaA you were able to build cheap with prestige. You'll gain a random castle building for every building you have in your tribes, so I personally wait until I don't have any active construction.

PittTheElder posted:

The best time to feudalize is as soon as you can. Only reason to wait is to build up a bunch of gold.

Basically, yeah. If you have several hundred MaA and aren't in immediate danger from one of your neighbors, mash that feudalize button.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
How do you guys handle king titles? Playing as Norse, I've managed to form my own Empire/Kingdom in England, form Brittinia Empire out of the remaining dejure counties and now have just finished Scandinavia. With the exception of Sweden where I used a Vassalization war, I hold all titles of King or above (and apparently too many duchies as well)

I was trying to scrounge up enough Fame to institute the Scandinavian Elective law for the Swedish throne but is it really worth it?

If you were me, would you be giving away a lot of those thrones to family members? Would you destroy the titles?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kris xK posted:

How do you guys handle king titles? Playing as Norse, I've managed to form my own Empire/Kingdom in England, form Brittinia Empire out of the remaining dejure counties and now have just finished Scandinavia. With the exception of Sweden where I used a Vassalization war, I hold all titles of King or above (and apparently too many duchies as well)

I was trying to scrounge up enough Fame to institute the Scandinavian Elective law for the Swedish throne but is it really worth it?

If you were me, would you be giving away a lot of those thrones to family members? Would you destroy the titles?

Depends on the situation, but destroying the titles won't help you if you're in Confederate Partition. Generally I just don't try to get a lot of king titles if I'm still in Confederate Partition, and if I do I'll just roll with it and let them get handed out or hand them out pre-emptively. Elective titles can help keep them together, and I did manage to handle the North Sea Empire for a few successions this way until I was able to feudalize (on the path to reaching the decision), but you do need to pay attention to it.

If you're in Partition, I tend to just destroy all but one kingdom title until I reach single-heir succession. Recently I've also been using feudal elective on my duchies to make sure they go to my primary heir.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Depends on the situation, but destroying the titles won't help you if you're in Confederate Partition. Generally I just don't try to get a lot of king titles if I'm still in Confederate Partition, and if I do I'll just roll with it and let them get handed out or hand them out pre-emptively. Elective titles can help keep them together, and I did manage to handle the North Sea Empire for a few successions this way until I was able to feudalize (on the path to reaching the decision), but you do need to pay attention to it.

If you're in Partition, I tend to just destroy all but one kingdom title until I reach single-heir succession. Recently I've also been using feudal elective on my duchies to make sure they go to my primary heir.

Yeah Sorry I totally didnt give enough info. While I am in Partition, I've been able to fire that decision to institute the "old laws" (Scandinavian Elective) for what seems to be most of my titles. So it terms of actually losing titles, I'm okay and not in danger (right now at least).

I was more curious if people actually give out King titles or if they horde them all like me.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kris xK posted:

Yeah Sorry I totally didnt give enough info. While I am in Partition, I've been able to fire that decision to institute the "old laws" (Scandinavian Elective) for what seems to be most of my titles. So it terms of actually losing titles, I'm okay and not in danger (right now at least).

I was more curious if people actually give out King titles or if they horde them all like me.

Speaking personally, I give out king titles when I need to in order to stay under the vassal limit, as when I have a big empire that seems inevitable, even if I don't expand my vassals will. Otherwise I keep duke-level vassals as long as possible because king vassals don't tend to give much in taxes. Unless they're one-duchy kingdoms like Brittany or those islands below Anatolia, I just give those out.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Similar boat / different question -- I started a Norse game and am currently trying to form North Sea (almost have all the land).

I have Norway/Sweden/Denmark all on Scandinavian Elective -- right now my brother is the top vote getter, not my preferred heir. But that's fine I guess? I haven't usurped England yet -- I assume I'll be able to make it Scandinavian Elective too once I do?

Q: When should I form North Sea? As soon as I can? Should I form a custom empire at the same time so I can have two top tier titles and try to use Scandinavian Elective for both? (I'm trying to use the multiple elective titles approach outlined in this post from a while back)

Separately, once I form I plan to try to grow tall as the North Sea and not expand further (got my WC kicks by forming a huge Roman Empire last game, and don't want to do that again). Any tips or advice for things to focus on when trying to grow tall?

Thus far this Norse game has been pretty fun -- managed to defeat a Crusade for England that triggered almost immediately after I conquered England.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

alcaras posted:

Similar boat / different question -- I started a Norse game and am currently trying to form North Sea (almost have all the land).

I have Norway/Sweden/Denmark all on Scandinavian Elective -- right now my brother is the top vote getter, not my preferred heir. But that's fine I guess?

Q: When should I form North Sea? As soon as I can? Should I form a custom empire at the same time so I can have two top tier titles and try to use Scandinavian Elective for both? (I'm trying to use the multiple elective titles approach outlined in this post from a while back)

You need to be a king to form the north sea empire.

Scandinavian Elective for large titles is incredibly difficult to control because every direct and indirect vassal under the title gets a vote, and they can have really large voting power because of popular opinion bonuses. I would keep one big empire title without elective, and your duchy titles with elective.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I just realized I'm stilling using Confederate Partition in my huge-rear end late feudal Russian Empire. I've gotten so used to my coping strategy of a) seeding my dynasty as far and wide as I can ALL THE TIME for maximum renown gains (I peaked at +30/month or so this run, but its fallen down to +20 at this point) b) prioritizing the ability to Embrace Celibacy so I can stop banging once I got enough heirs (or if I'm blocked due to Eager Reveler, marrying old and infertile women) and then c) strategic use of Disinherit and Restore Inheritance to guide the path of inheritance. Once I intentionally disinherited ALL my sons so my Genius, Hale, Comely daughter could gain the throne and I could use the Strengthen the Bloodline decision for my first time in 300+ hours of gameplay.

It's wild how healthy my dynasty is now. Tsar Rurik III 'the Scholar' of Kievan Rus' still has Good health at 66, while his heir, Prince Rurik, is somehow not dead of leprosy after catching it at age 45 (thankfully before he sired grandchildren). My grandson, Rurik, went and gave me an heir I'm very excited to play as: Rurik, my Great-grandson, who's Herculean, Genius, and Handsome. Look at this sweet little guy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

I have Norway/Sweden/Denmark all on Scandinavian Elective -- right now my brother is the top vote getter, not my preferred heir. But that's fine I guess? I haven't usurped England yet -- I assume I'll be able to make it Scandinavian Elective too once I do?

Separately, once I form I plan to try to grow tall as the North Sea and not expand further (got my WC kicks by forming a huge Roman Empire last game, and don't want to do that again). Any tips or advice for things to focus on when trying to grow tall?

Thus far this Norse game has been pretty fun -- managed to defeat a Crusade for England that triggered almost immediately after I conquered England.

The North Sea empire decision can be a PITA to meet the requirements for (particularly one ruler lifetime ruling all three kingdoms for 30 years). So I'd take it as soon as I can.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

The North Sea empire decision can be a PITA to meet the requirements for (particularly one ruler lifetime ruling all three kingdoms for 30 years). So I'd take it as soon as I can.

100% this. I've yet to manage it because I've never had anyone last long enough.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
After successfully forming the High Kingdom of the North Sea in one game, I'm now on another going for King of All the Isles. Started up in Iceland, and as my first ruler is hitting his late 60s I've managed to grab those North Sea islands, a bit of Scottish island, Sjaelland, and a couple of islands in the Baltic. Then I formed a Kingdom and I think I'm in a good spot to continue.

There's tons more to do, and I suspect this is going to be a much harder achievement to get since you can't ever let your realm size go over 80. I can see there are going to be a ton of powerful kingdoms adjacent to all my little islands.

Anybody done this one yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Oof, my kingdoms split because my 66 year old decided to keel over. My heir has Norway/Denmark but doesn't have Swedengland (not the heir I wanted, I was trying to get my genius/beautiful 13 year old daughter onto the throne, which might have been a bridge too far). And still had a high Tyranny bonus from breaking up a super duke (he had four dukedoms! four!).

I guess I didn't do Scandinavian Elective properly -- I suppose keeping the titles unified and within my dynasty is a priority over getting Just the Right Heir.

Now to put the pieces back together...

Dumb q: If I have a truce with someone after a war, I can't raid them, right? It doesn't seem to say this anywhere, I had raiders on holdings and nothing was happening which was confusing to me :-/ But I think it would have had to have been truce?

Separately, I think I'm going to not take the Blood Lineage in games going forward unless I'm minmaxing -- it's way too strong. By the end of my last game I had everyone in my dynasty be Genius/Beautiful/Herculean which was a bit insane.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 28, 2021