Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Yes, but the two best examples, Lawler and Dundee, also have reps for potatoing people regularly enough to as not necessarily be the best picks. Dick Murdoch is probably the person who through the most consistently safe but great-looking working punch. As J.J. Dillon, who worked with him a LOT, once told me: You'd feel his hand on the hair on your nose, but that was it.

Kevin Sullivan in one of his shoot interviews talked about how Murdoch got so good. Apparently according to him Captain Redneck would string up soup cans and practice throwing punches on them until the can wouldn’t move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dawgstar posted:

Kevin Sullivan in one of his shoot interviews talked about how Murdoch got so good. Apparently according to him Captain Redneck would string up soup cans and practice throwing punches on them until the can wouldn’t move.

Wait, wasn’t Murdoch really open about being in the KKk? Or am I thinking of someone else?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Red posted:

Wait, wasn’t Murdoch really open about being in the KKk? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah, it was Murdoch, as JR said "if I saw his KKK membership once I seen it a thousand times" usually as Murdoch was at the bar buying drinks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

Bad News Allen and Tito Santana said so. I think Rocky Johnson also tells a similar story. There’s also a story Dusty supposedly told that he took Dusty to a Klan picnic without telling him it was. So probably yeah.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm still bewildered how terminator Kota threw those punches at Okada at last year's Wrestle Kingdom and didn't kill him.

I am also interested in this one. It looked brutal at the time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why is the late Alabama Doink known and talked about vs. any other number of fake Doinks around the country? Like what made this one part of peoples' wrestling knowledge?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why is the late Alabama Doink known and talked about vs. any other number of fake Doinks around the country? Like what made this one part of peoples' wrestling knowledge?

Possibly for the infamous match in a Golden Corral parking lot with Heidenreich:

https://youtu.be/HWubQzo2Z-4

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Possibly for the infamous match in a Golden Corral parking lot with Heidenreich:

https://youtu.be/HWubQzo2Z-4

I drive by this very Golden Corral five or so times a week and always think about this match when I do.

The other funny thing about Alabama Doink is the AWF Facebook page would insist he was in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Either one of those men could be the national mascot for Golden Corral.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Why has Trent Beretta used the "Trent?" name with the question mark, is it some kind of inside joke? Is it because he can't use Beretta/Baretta or something?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Why has Trent Beretta used the "Trent?" name with the question mark, is it some kind of inside joke? Is it because he can't use Beretta/Baretta or something?

bryan alvarez account spotted

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think WWE has it trademarked

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think he tried to get it recently and as per usual, WWE continued to squat on it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He should do a different surname every week.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If we measure good as enjoyable to watch, in your opinion is triple h a good wrestler?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

on the whole no but sometimes sure, similar to the undertaker. i don't know if you were talking to me. Sorry

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TV Zombie posted:

If we measure good as enjoyable to watch, in your opinion is triple h a good wrestler?

I like his matches in 2000-2001* from before the quad injury: there aren't many I'd say I dislike and several that I think are excellent. Exactly how much of that is down to him being put against other good performers (Austin, Rock, Foley, Jericho, Angle, etc) I'm not sure, some people are convinced that he really was up there with the best in the world at the time but others are much cooler on him. He did get what was then far and away the best out of The Undertaker at Wrestlemania, though looking through the list of Taker's Mania opponents up to that point that might not be a major accomplishment either. Considering he did well with both Taker and Rock, neither of whom were the best wrestlers, I think he probably did more than his fair share.

After his injury he returned as a super babyface and was understandably less physical in the ring, even if he didn't want to admit it. I don't know how it did for business, but it seemed to me that few people were truly interested in buying this version of the character, though he had seemed over as a face for a bit in 2000. Then there were his storylines, which were beginning to grate a bit even before his injury, but they got more tiresome after his return; the Jericho feud was tainted with assorted Stephanie nonsense, and only a few months later he was the boring super heel leader of Evolution, with Katie Vick and a worn-out Scott Steiner. It wouldn't matter so much, but even as a teenager it was kind of common knowledge that he was politicking and being an arsehole off-camera as well as on it. And that just never ended, right into getting upper management roles that he is semingly not actually very good at.

* EDIT: before that he was decent enough, but wasn't quite the all-round package (ooer!) he'd become imo.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 28, 2021

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEpbQLBLHw

Still one of the funniest videos I've ever seen. Nash on Hogan, the longer portion that is no longer on youtube is funnier but this is all I can find. Just the most bizarre possible take on the Hogan racism deal.

Kevin Nash posted:

Maybe cause I look at how I view my life, and there were so many times in my life...before I've struck somebody, or before I cut a promo on em, i've used, i've basically looked them in the eye and said you've hosed with the wrong N. Meaning me.

Interviewer posted:

But...you're white.

Kevin Nash posted:

Exactly!

Interviewer posted:

But...he was calling a black guy the N word...

Kevin Nash posted:

But my thing is...it's PC World...If we're two black dudes we can be each others...but not two white guys"

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I have noticed on WWE's Uncaged X album, Rhyno's first theme is labelled Man Beast (1997). Knowing how much attention to detail was paid to these Uncaged albums, this surely can't be a mistake? Which Shotgun/Jakked jobber was using a proto-Rhyno theme in 97?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there a good book available on the history of Stampede?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember HHHs work being a bright spot in and around the main event scene when Austin and Rock were white hot but not doing their best matches.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Taker Vs HHH on Mania 17 is really underrated, they had an awesome match

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I have noticed on WWE's Uncaged X album, Rhyno's first theme is labelled Man Beast (1997). Knowing how much attention to detail was paid to these Uncaged albums, this surely can't be a mistake? Which Shotgun/Jakked jobber was using a proto-Rhyno theme in 97?

He did wrestle a handful of matches for wwf in 1997 and man beast was a nickname they used for him so it might be that rhyno was the jobber using a proto-rhyno theme in 1997

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Taker Vs HHH on Mania 17 is really underrated, they had an awesome match

Since he's the "Bikertaker" in this match, he does that barking thing when he's punched, which is a little annoying, but it is a really good match.

I remember liking UT/Flair, too, except for the fact it was so one-sided (and the blood).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HHH Just before he blew his quad out was arguably among the best workers in the world but when he came back he nowhere near that and that's the worker we got during his reign of terror soooooooooooo

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The problem with HHH is that every match you watch with HHH in it after 99 or so you know that ultimately you know who it's all about which just taints everything. Even when he's trying to appear selfless he's selfish. WM 21 should have been Batista doing a Brody Lee to HHH's Cody but HHH is incapable of booking himself in a Mania match less than 20 minutes long.

Though I guess the problem with WM 21 is the other World Title Match was Cena v JBL. Which means you're either closing out WM with a squash or JBL.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 28, 2021

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DLC Inc posted:

On a similar note, Billy Gunn was announced with his full gimmick name on Dynamite last week (rather
than then the carefully-phrased “BILLY of the GUNN club” they had been doing). Did WWE just let that one slip through the cracks? I would’ve expected them to clamp down harder after Cody got Rhodes back.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Almost all the noteworthy pre-quad tear HHH matches are gimmick matches or super overbooked affairs with top tier opponents*. There aren't many straight wrestling matches in there. And unlike other wrestlers you can't say "Well, it's WWF, what do you expect" cuz Hunter got tons of time to put on attempted mat classics. The Danielson match is the only straight HHH match I can think of that I actually enjoyed. Hunter tended to be plodding and unexciting before the injury; afterwards his ego and pull were probably more of a liability than anything physical.

I would much rather watch a random Rock TV match. It's fun to watch him move. He had a fun shtick. At his worst he never felt like he was cosplaying an older, better wrestler.

*I've never seen the Undertaker match. I suspect I'd hate it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SLUM KING posted:

Almost all the noteworthy pre-quad tear HHH matches are gimmick matches or super overbooked affairs with top tier opponents*. There aren't many straight wrestling matches in there. And unlike other wrestlers you can't say "Well, it's WWF, what do you expect" cuz Hunter got tons of time to put on attempted mat classics. The Danielson match is the only straight HHH match I can think of that I actually enjoyed. Hunter tended to be plodding and unexciting before the injury; afterwards his ego and pull were probably more of a liability than anything physical.

I would much rather watch a random Rock TV match. It's fun to watch him move. He had a fun shtick. At his worst he never felt like he was cosplaying an older, better wrestler.

*I've never seen the Undertaker match. I suspect I'd hate it.

The actual best thing about the X7 match with Taker is Motorhead being there to sing HHH's theme and Lemmy doesn't seem to remember the words at all and makes it up as he goes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Minidust posted:

On a similar note, Billy Gunn was announced with his full gimmick name on Dynamite last week (rather
than then the carefully-phrased “BILLY of the GUNN club” they had been doing). Did WWE just let that one slip through the cracks? I would’ve expected them to clamp down harder after Cody got Rhodes back.

he's been able to be 'billy gunn' for what feels like several months now, unsure about the exact timing of the change

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
HHH's PPV record 2000-2001

Royal Rumble: Street Fight with Cactus Jack, arguably the best WWE match of all time.

No Way Out: Hell in a Cell rematch against Jack. Pins him and "retires" him. Should have been the main event of WrestleMania.

WrestleMania: Fatal 4-Way elimination match involving Mick Foley, Big Show and The Rock. Foley and Big Show go out fairly quickly leaving everyone wondering why this wasn't just 1v1. First time in WrestleMania history a heel retains the title in the main event.

Backlash: Loses the WWF title to The Rock.

Judgment Day: Wins the title back in an Iron Man match with The Rock. A decent match with a stupid finish: The Undertaker returns and costs Rock the title by DQ.

King of the Ring: Loses the title back to The Rock in a six man tag match. The Rock pins Vince McMahon to win the title. HHH won't go anywhere near the belt again until 2002.

Fully Loaded: Absolute banger Last Man Standing match with Chris Jericho. HHH is getting lots of cheers and is starting to naturally turn face. Go check this one out, it rules.

SummerSlam: Caught up in a feud with Kurt Angle over Kurt's "friendship" with Stephanie. Lots of gay best friend jokes playing on good old homophobia. Triple Threat match with Rock is very good.

Unforgiven: No DQ match with Angle absolutely buries him. Angle is portrayed as a doofus who can't hang with cool main event Hunter.

No Mercy: Side quest defeating Chris Benoit produces a good match with a predictable outcome: HHH wins.

Survivor Series: Turns heel again and reveals that he planned the hit and run attack on Steve Austin one year previous. Match with Austin is god awful, with Stone Cold out to prove to HHH that WWF is still his show now he's back. HHH gets zero offence in and gets murdered by Austin ala giant crane.

Armageddon: Enters the entertaining six man Hell in a Cell for the title which champion Kurt Angle retains.

Royal Rumble: Loses to Angle but is protected heavily on the loss. Performs the Razor's Edge in this match for reasons?

No Way Out: Two Out of Three Falls match with Stone Cold draws a line under their feud. Amazing match until the questionable finish.

WrestleMania: pissed off IRL that he's not in the main event and puts on a brilliant match with Undertaker. This is probably the point HHH starts to believe his 20 minute epics are beloved and never changes his formula.

Backlash: Teams with Austin to win the tag titles from Kane and Undertaker. HHH has hilariously been relegated to Intercontinental Champion because Austin is a bigger star and legitimately does not like HHH lol.

Judgment Day: loses the IC title to Kane.

Tears his quad shortly after this and would not return until January 2002. Had he remained healthy, likely would have challenged Austin at SummerSlam 2001 and won the title.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wasn't Billy Gunn billed as such in NJPW?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Wasn't Billy Gunn billed as such in NJPW?

He was, and has been most places on the indies. He was also Billy Gunn on the All In preshow, the Double Or Nothing buy-in, the Dynamite Dozen battle royal in 2019 and a Dark match in January 2020. A week after that Dark match something changed and he started being just Billy.

My impression is that WWE were perfectly happy with him using the name on the indies and in other countries, just not on their major competitor.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I've always had I guess the semi-controversial opinion that Triple H kinda torpedoed his actual legacy(as a wrestler) by marrying Stephanie.

If he had continued in a normal wrestler's path with only I guess the normal Kliq-level influence on his own booking, he probably would have been more fondly remembered and not have his own worst habits emphasized.

Dude could work, could sell things really well - I remember a passage in Foley is Good I think where Foley basically describes him getting Foley taking his shirt off over as something immensely terrifying on body language alone, when he went from Mankind to Cactus Jack in the leadup to the Rumble match.

When he came back in 2002 his influence was stronger and it all went downhill from there with only brief glances of 'hey this guy was good once' shining through.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NameHurtBrain posted:

I've always had I guess the semi-controversial opinion that Triple H kinda torpedoed his actual legacy(as a wrestler) by marrying Stephanie.

If he had continued in a normal wrestler's path with only I guess the normal Kliq-level influence on his own booking, he probably would have been more fondly remembered and not have his own worst habits emphasized.

Dude could work, could sell things really well - I remember a passage in Foley is Good I think where Foley basically describes him getting Foley taking his shirt off over as something immensely terrifying on body language alone, when he went from Mankind to Cactus Jack in the leadup to the Rumble match.

When he came back in 2002 his influence was stronger and it all went downhill from there with only brief glances of 'hey this guy was good once' shining through.

There's probably some validity there. One thing I found odd about the reign of terror is that it was clearly meant to evoke Flair's prime as the champ, but Flair showed rear end regularly during that period, did jobs when it made sense, and wasn't bashful abut giving the people the rub (the Lawler angle in Memphis is a good example, as is going 60 minutes with Terry Taylor).

HHH did none of these things. And actively buried people. And a lot of the matches were outright bad.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 28, 2021

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was a complete mark then but I somehow understood that Triple H seemed to just go into business for himself, all the time, protected by his connections. I don't remember a single match from him anymore but I remember the times where his rear end got handed to him.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

If I remember correctly (which I may not), he was also always in the role of the guy who would come out and talk for an eternity at the start of every Raw, which is kind of an impossible task in the first place and he would talk about boring poo poo like the fact that he won matches. It felt like his matches AND promos took forever and were all about how badass and tough and great he was.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Stealth Tiger posted:

If I remember correctly (which I may not), he was also always in the role of the guy who would come out and talk for an eternity at the start of every Raw, which is kind of an impossible task in the first place and he would talk about boring poo poo like the fact that he won matches. It felt like his matches AND promos took forever and were all about how badass and tough and great he was.

You remember correctly and that's when the character died. It was every week for like 2 years?? It was a death sentence but I'm pretty sure one he chose. Before that he was pretty cool. Then he became proto-Corbin. Never be proto-Corbin.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Anything positive about Triple H's entire WWE run becomes null and void once you remember he won his feud with Booker T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The 2000 run doesn't happen without hooking up with Stephanie. It's not like he changed his style in a major way between his '99 heel turn and 2000. He was competent before and after, the good matches are largely thanks to him building up an aura from the Foley feud, improving his physique, and escaping the weak booking every WWF champ gets. Oh yeah, and the WCW guys/Angle doubling the number of Actually Good wrestlers on the roster.

I listened to a bunch of Spring 2001 WOL a few weeks ago and was surprised by how negative Dave & Bryan were about WWF, HHH, and Wrestlemania 17 in particular. They didn't think it was a bad show, they kept saying it was the best Wrestlemania ever, but they weren't positive about the company's future and boy were they right. They did not seem all that enthused by the Undertaker match, though I imagine Dave gave it at least *** 1/2. And there are just tons and tons of jokes about Hunter's insecurities and politicking, they give him plenty of credit but absolutely everyone on the shows knows exactly why he is where he is and that was kinda refreshing to hear. Also the way they talk around Shawn's drug problems and how long it was before they actually knew losing to taker was HHH's punishment for vouching for Shawn was interesting.

Also Tom Zenk is loving obnoxious on those shows. I remember him being fun on the earlier eps but he has a whole different energy here, he is just loud as gently caress and talks over everyone and says super rude poo poo which was cute when he was dragging Bischoff but not so much when he's talking about women. He keeps doing some like...WC Fields act or some poo poo whenever he talks to Bryan? Real coke uncle energy.

Wasn't the Two Man Power Trip mostly because HHH didn't want to turn face even though it was the most logical progression and aside from the Undertaker he was the only dude who had been protected well enough to seem like a legit threat to a heel Austin? Austin had put him over clean months earlier, Austin's alleged dislike of the dude sure didn't get in the way of that happening, it was clearly part of the plans for the heel turn, but chances are HHH would have had to lose that feud so...