Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Why do you want 2 swords? The stat boost?

Stat boost and also there the tech that hits all enemies has a two-handed version that is just flatly better than the one handed and you need two swords to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
You want to have two swords equipped because you want a sword with high attack power to do strong moves with and you also want a katana because the katana moves look sick

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
One of my only gripes with the UI improvements with the remaster is that they didn't give dual wield or katana specific sword techniques a different icon from the normal ones. All the Alkaiser moves got unique icons- the Ray Sword exclusive ones even get one too! There's a fresh new katana icon used for equipable swords right there! It was a strange choice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

VgameT posted:

you also want a katana because the katana moves look sick

:hai:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Running T260G's story and even if you have a Sand Vessel from NG+ you still can't get Time Lord. I guess either the game actually requires you to buy the item to trigger the flag that lets you collect the sand? Pity, my mech murder team will just have to manage without it, somehow...

*kills the earth dragon in 3 turns with 4x multislash+lifesprinkler combos*

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Why do you want 2 swords? The stat boost?

Also does anyone know if the swords that alter your general 0-cost attack, like Phantasm or Sei's sword, still spark techniques? Or is one of their drawbacks, limiting you from learning while using them?

Stat boost is one thing but you need two swords for Gales Slash which is Tornado Slash but 2x as strong for the same cost. I usually ran a katana as my secondary until I got lifesprinkler once high enough ranked enemies started showing up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think it’s called Twin Gale Slash this time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's also a good idea to put two guns on any gunner so they can learn Guns Akimbo, which makes some if your gun attacks use two guns and deal increased damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve had two guns on Emilia since I got her and she refuses to learn guns akimbo, what gives?

She also hasn’t learned bounding shot which is annoying because it rules.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes characters just get stubborn about that kind of thing.

Side note, I recently learned that Trick Shot does more damage than Bounding Shot with Guns Akimbo which is not what I expected at all. Bounding Shot is still amazing because of how easily it combos, but if you just want damage, apparently Trick Shot is where it's at.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve had two guns on Emilia since I got her and she refuses to learn guns akimbo, what gives?

Emilia actually has the worst gun learning talent out of anyone (and Blue/Rouge, ironically, has the best). This is actually due to the fact gun learning talent and magic learning talent work in the same way and is in part based on their Intelligence. This doesn't mean she can't learn them, but it definitely will take a while.

Here's everyone's Gun talent:

code:
         Blue | 8
        Rouge | 8
         Doll | 6
         Liza | 6
     Mei-ling | 6
       Roufas | 6
Capt.Hamilton | 3
          Red | 3
         Fuse | 2
         Lute | 2
        Annie | 1
      Asellus | 1
       Fei-on | 1
          Gen | 1
       Emelia | 0

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do love that "gun mage" is not only a viable character option in SaGa Frontier, it's strongly supported by the mechanics :v:

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Exactly! It's a great build for Doll and Mei-ling since you can do some fun combos (e.g., shadow servant-trick shots on Doll for tons of damage, Mei-ling can clear out crowds with gale blast and go to trick shot/bounding shot for bosses).

You can also take advantage of the Int portion of the gun learning formula and give guns to people near the end game and watch them learn the gun techs in fairly quick succession if they have decent intelligence. I'm definitely doing this and carrying over techs so a certain Virgil fight can be ended in two turns for that trophy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That strategy will serve you well for the superboss in Fuse's dev room, by the way.

Nobody's beaten the boss yet, but he has insanely high defense so the only way to deal real damage to him is with combos.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

That strategy will serve you well for the superboss in Fuse's dev room, by the way.

Nobody's beaten the boss yet, but he has insanely high defense so the only way to deal real damage to him is with combos.

Superboss spoilers:

Is this the masked ninja superboss? I've seen some videos of it and was rather horrified how little damage it was taking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kagon posted:

Superboss spoilers:

Is this the masked ninja superboss? I've seen some videos of it and was rather horrified how little damage it was taking.

Yes, that's the one. He has crazy high defenses so only combos can do real damage to him. Even then, he's incredibly difficult because the damage he does is absurd and he acts multiple times per round. Time Leap is pretty much mandatory to survive at all, and even with Time Leap, so far people have only gotten to his second phase before getting wiped.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kagon posted:

Exactly! It's a great build for Doll and Mei-ling since you can do some fun combos (e.g., shadow servant-trick shots on Doll for tons of damage, Mei-ling can clear out crowds with gale blast and go to trick shot/bounding shot for bosses).

You can also take advantage of the Int portion of the gun learning formula and give guns to people near the end game and watch them learn the gun techs in fairly quick succession if they have decent intelligence. I'm definitely doing this and carrying over techs so a certain Virgil fight can be ended in two turns for that trophy.

Yeah Mei-ling was like something out of FFX-2 on my T260G run. I will try boosting Emilia’s INT and see if that helps. Do Mystics have that hidden stat for learning magic? Because it seemed like it was taking forever for any of my mystics to learn new magic even with the gift.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah Mei-ling was like something out of FFX-2 on my T260G run. I will try boosting Emilia’s INT and see if that helps. Do Mystics have that hidden stat for learning magic? Because it seemed like it was taking forever for any of my mystics to learn new magic even with the gift.

They do! Unfortunately, it's at 0 with Emilia. Guess that's the unfortunate side of being an immortal psuedo-vampire. In order to try to speed it up, you can absorb stuff into their Fae equipment that boosts intelligence (e.g., Sphynx is great), but this can often be a bit of an ask to do at any given point based on your battle rank.

Edit: to make this even more of a pain, you can at least speed up Emilia's magic learning rate by sealing all her techs and giving her magical mastery. Since this is impossible for mystics, they will (unfortunately) tend to be your slowest magic learners in most cases.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Harrow posted:

Are you already past the duel with Rouge?

If so: you now have all the magic (well, pretty much). Rouge got Space magic while you went and got Time magic, but after the duel, you now have both twins' spells and gifts.

Now I haven’t played Blue’s scenario but Is the background of his story that this is an evil plan by the magic kingdom to construct an impossible super soldier? Because that’s certainly what it seems like from reading descriptions of his scenario.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Now I haven’t played Blue’s scenario but Is the background of his story that this is an evil plan by the magic kingdom to construct an impossible super soldier? Because that’s certainly what it seems like from reading descriptions of his scenario.

Close.

Blue's scenario spoilers: It's an evil plan to create a super-soldier but it's done as a last-ditch effort to save the Magic Kingdom from a portal to loving Hell that a wizard accidentally opened up. They basically bred the ultimate magician, then split him in two so he could learn every type of magic. They led the two halves to believe they were twins and that they had to kill one another to become the ultimate magician. After their duel, they fuse together and realize they were never twins to begin with, then go back to the Magic Kingdom to learn that they were created to fight the lord of Hell and save the Magic Kingdom.

Spoilers for Blue's ending in Fuse's scenario: In the original, it was implied that Blue/Rouge was sealed down there forever, fighting the lord of Hell for all eternity. In Fuse's scenario, though, he gets out and is made the head of the magic school in the Magic Kingdom. He swears that he will never let what was done to him happen to anyone else.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kagon posted:

Emilia actually has the worst gun learning talent out of anyone (and Blue/Rouge, ironically, has the best). This is actually due to the fact gun learning talent and magic learning talent work in the same way and is in part based on their Intelligence. This doesn't mean she can't learn them, but it definitely will take a while.

Here's everyone's Gun talent:

code:
         Blue | 8
        Rouge | 8
         Doll | 6
         Liza | 6
     Mei-ling | 6
       Roufas | 6
Capt.Hamilton | 3
          Red | 3
         Fuse | 2
         Lute | 2
        Annie | 1
      Asellus | 1
       Fei-on | 1
          Gen | 1
       Emelia | 0

Kind of funny, in my Asellus-playthrough Emilia already has learned all 10 gun arts, and we're only about halfway through. :v:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Guns Akimbo is generally the hardest gun tech to learn.

Bound Shot is better than Trick Shot in most cases; especially when your Concentration is high enough to get max bounces consistently; it combos better, and has a high chance to ignore defense

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Guns Akimo is the hardest gun skill to learn IIRC and Emilia is the worst gun-learner in the game. Since it's all RNG it's weird because sometimes Emilia will just learn it super fast and other times it takes forever. Just like trying to spark Lifesprinkler on people like Asellus who don't have it as one of their talents. Sure it *can* happen but it takes luck and/or an eternity.

Meanwhile Rouge/Blue learn every tech in 1/3 the time because they have (near) max int. :getin:

Harrow posted:

I do love that "gun mage" is not only a viable character option in SaGa Frontier, it's strongly supported by the mechanics :v:

Having Rouge drop a 20k+ damage Tower spell on round 2 of a boss fight (with round 1 being shadow servant) then pull out a pair of lethal dragoons to just shoot stuff in the face repeatedly is a very viable strategy.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I played the poo poo out of the original when it came out, getting into the remaster has been fun. Still on my first scenario though, so quick question about NG+:

I kind of get the gist, but I was planning on using different characters for each playthrough rather than my usual crew for everybody with little variance. If I use, say, Roufus for someone's playthrough and get him beefy, but don't get him at all on my next scenario, will he still be beefy again if I pick him up with my third scenario?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hobojim posted:

I played the poo poo out of the original when it came out, getting into the remaster has been fun. Still on my first scenario though, so quick question about NG+:

I kind of get the gist, but I was planning on using different characters for each playthrough rather than my usual crew for everybody with little variance. If I use, say, Roufus for someone's playthrough and get him beefy, but don't get him at all on my next scenario, will he still be beefy again if I pick him up with my third scenario?

Yeah. Stats continue to carry over even if you don't recruit that character in between.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

You can also some interesting effects of it monitoring who has joined you in the background. For example, if you start Emilia’s route, her stats tend to be exceptionally low (50Hp, many stats below 10). However if you do the arcane gift quest for the gold card, it will replace that stat block with the one that she would have joined you with even if you don’t recruit her. So NG+ at that point and suddenly you have a 230 Hp Emilia with most stats in the 20’s.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of NG+, I think someone figured out the "rules" for Blue and Rouge.

Spoilers for Blue's scenario:

So, what we already knew is that if you beat Blue's scenario, start someone else's scenario with that NG+ save, and recruit Rouge, he'll have all the spells you had at the end of Blue's scenario, even if Blue won the duel. This was sort of surprising because it doesn't work in the other direction. If you use Rouge in someone else's playthrough, then carry that save over through NG+ into Blue's scenario, Blue doesn't inherit anything from Rouge. That's what you'd expect, because they have different data blocks in the game files.

It looks like what's happening is that, after the duel with Rouge in Blue's scenario, the game updates both Blue and Rouge's data blocks to be how they'd be if they won--boosted INT, CON, PSY, and JP, and all of the spells--regardless of who actually wins. So even though you never have Rouge in your party in Blue's scenario (if Blue wins), his stats are still updated to be what they'd be if he won. Then if you do NG+, that's the data block that the game pulls from.

Mostly just thought it was interesting that, behind the scenes, even the loser of the duel gets updated to have the boosted stats and spell list. That's something that'd never have been relevant at all until NG+ was added, which is kinda cool.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah. Stats continue to carry over even if you don't recruit that character in between.

Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Getting a real strong urge to replay Minstrel Song once I've done everything in SaGa Frontier. I'm listening to the soundtrack on Youtube and remembering just how much every single track slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PjXPBPWco

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Good god Shadow Servant + Tower on Blue makes the final boss trivial. I'm pretty sure I beat it with that one move (60k damage) but the game was programmed to go through all the forms so I was just waiting to win.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Harrow posted:

Getting a real strong urge to replay Minstrel Song once I've done everything in SaGa Frontier. I'm listening to the soundtrack on Youtube and remembering just how much every single track slaps

That's me every time I think about Minstrel Song.

Still got my old ps2 to play it but it's always fuzzy on modern non-CRT tvs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's me every time I think about Minstrel Song.

Still got my old ps2 to play it but it's always fuzzy on modern non-CRT tvs.

I'd love a Minstrel Song remaster. I bet it'd look amazing upscaled and in widescreen. I think the announced RS1 remaster is of the original SNES version instead of Minstrel Song (which is still cool--the remasters of RS2/3 look amazing, especially the animated enemy sprites) but drat I'd be slamming preorder immediately on a Minstrel Song remaster.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Harrow posted:

I want Minstrel Song with the 'can run away from battles without increasing BR' mechanic because trying to avoid battles in that game is the dirt worst.
Now that you mention it; now that I kinda don't want to play Frontier anymore going back to RS 3 or MS sorta has appeal. Maybe, maybe not.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm only going to recruit Suzaku once for the trophy and never use him, because by gently caress no party member is worth the bullshit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I want Minstrel Song with the 'can run away from battles without increasing BR' mechanic because trying to avoid battles in that game is the dirt worst.

God yeah, I was just thinking earlier about how the "run away from battles without increasing event rank" thing would be much more impactful in Minstrel Song than SaGa Frontier, especially because of how tight the event rank windows for some side quests can be.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm only going to recruit Suzaku once for the trophy and never use him, because by gently caress no party member is worth the bullshit.

They're also a monster and frankly most of those are completely interchangeable except for Kylin and Sei.

I'm sort of glad I got this on Switch and so don't have achievements to think about at all.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 26, 2021

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
"Free" fleeing from combat would be a weird thing to add to Minstrel Song since you already have two field skills that exist only to help you avoid fights. It'd be a real improvement though!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tiger Rampage is a mildly frustrating mystic skill. It's really good and combos extremely well, but it's really, really hard to absorb a monster that both gives Tiger Rampage and good endgame stats. The only ones are Kylin and Mariche, and both of those are pretty drat exclusive.

You can also get a Kraken for +30 STR/VIT, but compared to +25 to everything that's a bit of a letdown.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Minstrel Song is my most replayed saga game with around 8-9 long (not all complete) playthroughs

there are cheats that allow you to slow down BR accumulation as well as ones that let you recruit characters like Theodore permanently

the PC version of The Last Remnant has similar mods that rebalance the BR curve

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Indirectly controlling BR through escaping or not or getting BR scaling mods is great and I don't want to complain too much because misunderstanding BR is part of the core Saga experience. But it feels like the ideal 2021 Saga BR experience just lets you manipulate the BR up and down directly at some point in the progression.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since we're talking about Romancing SaGa games: I've actually never played Romancing SaGa 3 but I think I'll pick up the remaster on Switch once I'm done with Frontier. Anyone have any basic "before you start playing" tips or is there just a really good GameFAQs guide I should refer to regularly?

Gyoru posted:

Minstrel Song is my most replayed saga game with around 8-9 long (not all complete) playthroughs

there are cheats that allow you to slow down BR accumulation as well as ones that let you recruit characters like Theodore permanently

Oh nice, I'm going to have to try those out when I inevitably replay it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Good god Shadow Servant + Tower on Blue makes the final boss trivial. I'm pretty sure I beat it with that one move (60k damage) but the game was programmed to go through all the forms so I was just waiting to win.

Shadow Servant Tower power kicks all sorts of rear end. IIRC you can combo shadow servant+DSC as well but in any boss fights with a bunch of AOE it's going to be a bit tedious to manage. Except on Blue because you could just Shadow Servant then overdrive and DSC spam (with some snake oil for good measure if the target somehow survived).

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've spent hours trying to recruit Suzaku at times in the past and then on my Emilia run last night I killed the fairy on a whim and the loving snowman spawned so I grabbed Suzaku

Also turned Riki into a black dragon and I'd forgotten just how high its defense/resists were despite the lower hp (620ish vs 860 as a kraken).

Harrow posted:

Tiger Rampage is a mildly frustrating mystic skill. It's really good and combos extremely well, but it's really, really hard to absorb a monster that both gives Tiger Rampage and good endgame stats. The only ones are Kylin and Mariche, and both of those are pretty drat exclusive.

You can also get a Kraken for +30 STR/VIT, but compared to +25 to everything that's a bit of a letdown.

Kraken's stats at endgame are plenty. Paired with Suzakus you're at +70 str/vit and 40 to everything else. That's going to be nearly capped strength/vit on most mystics while someone like Nusakan can also use a powered suit for another 10 strength/quickness, and the mystic mail wearers can use a power belt if you get one (a couple scenarios have them and they're rare drops on some enemies) and the power belt is another +20 str.

I think Griffon has Tiger Rampage as well? Griffithscratch combos well too iirc even if it doesn't.