Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Like Doug and other guy suck a lot, but acting is often a career that gets you: Nothing - Competing to get into cheapo commercial work - Nothing - The .01% that get actual movie roles, so yeah steady employment even with Doug is pretty good on the track record/resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syef-sWQu9k

A followup to the fun video about Liar's Dice in Pirates of the Carribean.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Like Doug and other guy suck a lot, but acting is often a career that gets you: Nothing - Competing to get into cheapo commercial work - Nothing - The .01% that get actual movie roles, so yeah steady employment even with Doug is pretty good on the track record/resume.

Yeah, always remember if an actor is not currently working on a project they are in fact unemployed. That part's fine. I think both of them went from 'hey Doug just signs the check' to 'CTC was full of crap' which is a much less good look.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did Youtube changed its algorithm again? I don't even get videos recommended from channels I both follow and have clicked that dumb bell. Makes the whole subscription system Kind of pointless when I have to hunt down new videos of my favorite producers on twitter anyway.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 26, 2021

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

e X posted:

Did Youtube changed its algorithm again? I know don't even get videos recommended from channels I both follow and have clicked that dumb bell. Makes the whole subscription system Kind of pointless when I have to hunt down new videos of my favorite producers on twitter.

Am I the only person with this tab?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I know a lot of people who only watch Youtube via recommended discovery, mostly cause they just leave it on autoplay for background noise.

But still, I think it's a crazy way to live your life.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

I know a lot of people who only watch Youtube via recommended discovery, mostly cause they just leave it on autoplay for background noise.

But still, I think it's a crazy way to live your life.

Must be because people are like "I subbed and I cannot find the videos of the content creators I sub too!"

And it makes me wonder if I'm crazy or what because the sub tab is right there. It's my main youtube bookmark which I go to weekly to see what new stuff has come up.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yardbomb posted:

I don’t think many YouTube content creators even hire actors, outside of guests. It’s usually only editing people, which is becoming more and more open about acknowledging which is kind of nice to see.

Earlier YouTube it almost felt like some content creators felt like it needed to be a secret they didn’t do all the work, like it would feel less authentic or something.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
On that note, wasn't it true for a while (and potentially still, but not sure) that voice gigs for anime very explicitly avoided hiring anyone associated with Abridging content?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DanielCross posted:

On that note, wasn't it true for a while (and potentially still, but not sure) that voice gigs for anime very explicitly avoided hiring anyone associated with Abridging content?

The DBZ abridged people do voice acting for anime now. The more likely explanation is that most actors for abridged content aren't very good or in the right location.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Kira Buckland is another one who started out with abridging and other amateur projects before getting into professional anime and video game work.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also maybe because some studios weren't super thrilled about the various abridged projects and didn't necessarily want their localization teams tapping those folks for talent.

But yeah, it seems like it's been a decent on-ramp for some to actually get into VO work. Which is cool for a field where the usual answer to "how do I become a voice actor," is "know someone who works in voice acting."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The DBZ abridged people do voice acting for anime now. The more likely explanation is that most actors for abridged content aren't very good or in the right location.

I first learned of Lanipator via Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged, he was an incredible impersonator of Justin Cook and Chris Sabat.

hbi2k was never a good voice-actor but his Berserk and Gantz Abridged was probably the best writing in the Abridged scene.

But the Abridged VA who always stood out most to me was the guy who did Cooler in DBZA. From the start I thought he was legit amazing and not just good for an internet parody. I've heard him in a few Funi works like Fairy Tail.

God, this is transporting me back to 2006/2007 when I was obsessed with abridged shows on YT. I even talked to hbi2k a few times on another forum. This was before DBZA. I hope he's all rich and famous and successful now, was a cool dude to me.

EDIT:

Also Pro VAs tend to love the added attention due to parodies. Like, David Hayter was happy to repeat old Metal Gear Awesome poo poo and how many times did Joey's English VA from Yugioh get to shout "Brooklyn Rage"? Online parodies see good for everyone.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 26, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah. Team Four Star is located in or around Dallas/Fort Worth so they're actually in exactly the right place to do professional stuff but they're also still pretty much talented amateurs at best. I know Lanipator talked about updating his demo reel recently but I'm not sure how much pro training any of them have but it does make all the difference. Amber Lee Connors who did Android 18 for DBZA is doing lead roles at Funimation now so clearly you can make the jump and also puts rest the long-standing rumor that Toei would get really upset if Funimation ever actually hired TFS people.

It's still hard to break into. Funimation has a really deep bench now so you have to knock their socks off to get in. Same for the LA places, which also requires you to live in LA and also pay union dues which is not cheap for somebody fresh off the bus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Is there an explanation for how Michaud got the rights to the Nostalgia Critic?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Everyone involved is really stupid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I don't know that I'd use youtube without this tab.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

e X posted:

Did Youtube changed its algorithm again? I don't even get videos recommended from channels I both follow and have clicked that dumb bell. Makes the whole subscription system Kind of pointless when I have to hunt down new videos of my favorite producers on twitter anyway.
I hope loving so. As has already been said there is a whole subscription tab. I find it incredibly annoying when my recommendations fill up with people I subscribe to because I think that its function should be recommending me new stuff. Having me click "do not recommend this channel" on people that I am literally subscribed to because they recommend me 10 videos I've already seen anytime I watch a new video by a creator does not feel intuitive.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Dude grows increasingly annoyed by a Furby and talks about the controversies of talking kids toys.
Not Exactly Normal- "That Time Furbies Infiltrated the NSA"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJ_b-aUIZQ

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

JordanKai posted:

I believe Doug did corporate illustrations at some point (think: illustrations for training modules). You can see his art in some of the earlier NC videos and it isn't very good, so there is no way he was an animator or anything like that.
I remember back when I was reading the webcomic El Goonish Shive that apparently the author of that and Doug went to the same classes in art school/college.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Jacob Geller- "Games That Save the Best For Last"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8n2DHiGp8E

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

When Doug first started to get traction Michaud and 3 other guys approached Doug with an offer to run the business side in exchange for signing over those rights. Then one by one the other partners dropped out or according to CTC at least one (the guy who pretending to be the Heart guy from Captain Planet) just disappeared leaving Michaud in sole ownership. Some former CAers said that the bulk of the business they offered was the first TGWTG website, the one everyone hated and effectively smothered all the other content creators.

Basically the incoming trade offer meme.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought he was at least someone Doug or his brother knew beforehand. It's extremely funny that a psycho bully can just offer a guy a terrible deal and the guy will accept.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Whoever wrote Wapol must have done so much drugs. This character is just amazing.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
New Yhara Zayd just dropped. "We are L!ttle Zombies & the Monsters of Grief"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWyYjZgkMw
Edit: Remember to put on the subtitles if you don't speak Japanese.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 26, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

When Doug first started to get traction Michaud and 3 other guys approached Doug with an offer to run the business side in exchange for signing over those rights. Then one by one the other partners dropped out or according to CTC at least one (the guy who pretending to be the Heart guy from Captain Planet) just disappeared leaving Michaud in sole ownership. Some former CAers said that the bulk of the business they offered was the first TGWTG website, the one everyone hated and effectively smothered all the other content creators.

Basically the incoming trade offer meme.

I had no idea Ma-Ti was one of the owners lmao

I figured Doug got swindled signing something - that's profoundly stupid to sign over the rights so someone else could do the business side of things.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jimquisition - Mario Is Selling His Own Brother To Children

https://youtu.be/ZOqLwh97PkU

Mother's Basement - Jujutsu Kaisen Is Peak Shounen Anime

https://youtu.be/usW1hqVjZLE

Also reposting this since the octopus movie won an Oscar

Maggie Mae Fish - MY OCTOPUS TEACHER & Environmental Horror, An Analysis

https://youtu.be/whb4unrhy44

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

hbi2k was never a good voice-actor but his Berserk, Gantz and Escalflowne Abridged was probably the best writing in the Abridged scene.

God, this is transporting me back to 2006/2007 when I was obsessed with abridged shows on YT. I even talked to hbi2k a few times on another forum. This was before DBZA. I hope he's all rich and famous and successful now, was a cool dude to me.

He was always my favorite. I also hope he's doing well.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

i followed malcom on twitter a while ago and he complained about his retail job so whatever the walkers were paying him wasn’t a livable wage

What makes this extra :catstare: was when CtC was going down, one of the big complaints the CtCers had was Doug never paid them for the literally exhausting work they did, working for insane hours during the filming of Too Boldly Flee. Malcolm's response to that when he was defending Doug was to say "well, they paid me! :smug:" The fact that its not even a living wage... jeeze. Doug/Michaud/CA hasn't changed a bit...

Btw welcome back to the thread friend :) I missed seeing your posts in here.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does Doug still update weekly? That has to be enough work for his actors to be working full-time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Does Doug still update weekly? That has to be enough work for his actors to be working full-time.

Yeah, he's still pumping out weekly NC stuff. Say whatever you want about him, but he's good at keeping the machine running at least.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Pants Donkey posted:

Well at first, after the revival, he did a new nostalgia critic episode every 2 weeks. The other week he would do those hilariously awful "editorials" (Which is where the famous "Why do people watch movies?" image we used to post was making fun of)

Then he started doing one every week, but one would have Malcolm and Tamara and a ton of skits and poo poo, then the next week ep would be a bit more traditional, with just him sitting in front of the camera talking about the movie like the pre revival episodes, then the next would be a Malcolm and Tamara heavy ep again, then back and forth like that, etc.

At least that's what I remembered until CtC happened and I stopped watching him completely

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 26, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DanielCross posted:

You might be thinking of how they got the DBZA people to play the fake Z warriors in a gag for the dub of Kai, but were seemingly forced to scrap it and just go with the old dub for that part

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

Well at first, after the revival, we did a new nostalgia critic episode every 2 weeks. The other week he would do those hilariously awful "editorials" (Which is where the famous "Why do people watch movies?" image we used to post was making fun of)

Then he started doing one every week, but one would have Malcolm and Tamara and a ton of skits and poo poo, then the next week ep would be a bit more traditional, with just him sitting in front of the camera talking about the movie like the pre revival episodes, then the next would be a Malcolm and Tamara heavy ep again, then back and forth like that, etc.

At least that's what I remembered until CtC happened and I stopped watching him completely

You lasted longer than I did holy poo poo. The revival never grabbed me. Something was missing. Then the Sailor Moon review came out and welp.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Someone here made me check out Quinton Reviews and I just wasted almost an hour of my life watching this guy who somehow managed to be both hungry and horny for McDonalds. Lament the loss of specific restaurants.

In the most boring way possible. You owe me, unnamed stranger.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Saagonsa posted:

You might be thinking of how they got the DBZA people to play the fake Z warriors in a gag for the dub of Kai, but were seemingly forced to scrap it and just go with the old dub for that part

That was a Toei decision, not Funimation. Funi mostly enjoys the abridgers (except for Sean Schemmel who tries to distance himself from them for legal and professional reasons) but Toei is a bit more stringent and targeted TFS multiple times when they slipped up and accidentally violated some Japanese copyright law.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't know if that was even about them using the Abridged voice actors, since the edited version of the episode still has a clip of Lanipator speaking. It might just be that Toei didn't like how many liberties were taken with the script in that scene. I don't know if anybody involved has ever said anything about what happened there tho.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No.1 Special posted:

Mother's Basement - Jujutsu Kaisen Is Peak Shounen Anime

https://youtu.be/usW1hqVjZLE
MB is ok but very emblematic of anime youtube; any decent show is The Greatest Show Ever Made, new anime directors are even better than legendary ones, 'sakuga' has to be said every 20 seconds, and the word waifu is still being used unironically in the year 2021

he's also been this hyperbolic about demon slayer, re:zero, konosuba, MHA and darling in the franxx (and then was SHOCKED that studio trigger hosed it up lol)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 26, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Japan is weird, big surprise. Sometimes you get litigious micromanagers like Toei or Khara, other times you have companies dumping their trash onto licensing companies in exchange for premium titles and they say "go nuts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Katt posted:

Someone here made me check out Quinton Reviews and I just wasted almost an hour of my life watching this guy who somehow managed to be both hungry and horny for McDonalds. Lament the loss of specific restaurants.

In the most boring way possible. You owe me, unnamed stranger.

I couldn't finish that one but his videos on the History channel and related poo poo are good.