Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Portal 2's singleplayer was not good but the co-op was a lot of fun and crossplay PS3 and Steam and even if probably only some teensy tiny fraction of people used that feature, I did so that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This is one of my favorite Darkplace jokes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpENSh-uudQ

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Barudak posted:

Portal 2's singleplayer was not good

:yikes: <- me reading the thread today.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darkplace is a show that is absolutely hilarious and a dozen other things but the line "I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards" is just profound.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really like Darkplace but I feel like it said everything it needed to say in the first episode. I sort of feel the same about WWDITS - the TV show feels a bit superfluous when the film exists.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Gripweed posted:

I'm playing the Switch port of Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey. It's nice to play a game that handles political themes well but these turn of the century motion controls aren't perfect and the context sensitive action button is way too context sensitive.

When I was younger and hadn't gone through the game I would see the title in ads and always wondered why they were just showing footage from a single outdoor level over and over again.

Then years later I found out it all was different outdoor levels, they all just looked goddamn the same because of how their first 3D World Level Constructor turned out alongside the time crunch they were under to get the game out as an Xbox launch title.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Portal 2 is extremely good, and the best game Valve has made.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wish we'd get ricochet 2

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

I really like Darkplace but I feel like it said everything it needed to say in the first episode. I sort of feel the same about WWDITS - the TV show feels a bit superfluous when the film exists.

Darkplace did give me strong WWDITS vibes, and not just because Matt Berry is there

The TV show's existence is entirely justified by the Jackie Daytona episode, though

"One human alcohol beer, please"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So it is true, goons will literally hate any game with critical acclaim, given enough time

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i don't think valve is ever going to release another original game

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ymgve posted:

So it is true, goons will literally hate any game with critical acclaim, given enough time

Don't see a lot of Chrono Trigger hate in here

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even though Chrono Trigger is my #1 favorite game of all time, I really don't like the post apocalypse sections.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Even though Chrono Trigger is my #1 favorite game of all time, I really don't like the post apocalypse sections.

Yeah, I'm not gonna slam Chrono Trigger or something but the post apocalypse has the parts of the game where it feels like it drags.

I still like Chrono Cross more, but admittedly I'm a huge sucker for the soundtrack, art style, and every single thing involving the Gnomes being multi-dimensional assholes of the highest order.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just sitting here, basking in my ultimate love of Portal 2. Ahhh. The best.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

They released one last year!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Just sitting here, basking in my ultimate love of Portal 2. Ahhh. The best.

Wheatley holds a special place in my heart. He is one of the best video game characters ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think they meant a new I.P. but otherwise you're right, and then a card game before that but we don't talk about that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Two if you count the Artifact Reboot that they let die a strange, weird death.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Two if you count the Artifact Reboot that they let die a strange, weird death.

That was so weird, they release it, and at the exact same time are like "we aren't providing any post launch support to this V :): V"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Wheatley holds a special place in my heart. He is one of the best video game characters ever.

I cannot argue at all. The fact that Steve won the award for voice actor over JK simmons is amazing. Also the fact that JK simmons is ALSO in portal 2. That game. Ahhhh. :D Just smiling from ear to ear over here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That was so weird, they release it, and at the exact same time are like "we aren't providing any post launch support to this V :): V"

A product roadmap that leads to the morgue

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still remember that in the Portal 2 thread some goon spoiled the entire second half of the game along with its ending a few days before launch and nobody believed them and thought they were just being dumb

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Playtesters were too dumb to use the cube on the puzzle so we tricked them by painting a heart on it" is one of my favorite pieces of valve commentary. Top three with Left 4 Dead's "Playtesters didn't know you could duck so we have you autoduck at points" and Half-Life's "Playtesters couldn't figure out this path went in a circle so we got rid of it because they got trapped in a circle forever"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Saint Freak posted:

"Playtesters were too dumb to use the cube on the puzzle so we tricked them by painting a heart on it" is one of my favorite pieces of valve commentary. Top three with Left 4 Dead's "Playtesters didn't know you could duck so we have you autoduck at points" and Half-Life's "Playtesters couldn't figure out this path went in a circle so we got rid of it because they got trapped in a circle forever"

Also "players never look up"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Redneck Rampage devs could have learned that one the cruel bastards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

That story about the path going in a circle is amazing. In HL2 Episode 2 there's a small maze that's basically, as mentioned, a circle, with some branching paths. A playtester got stuck in the original maze for iirc three hours, so they redesigned it to be what it currently is.

The playtester was stuck in the maze for three hours because it did not occur to the playtester to turn right instead of left.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Portal 2 seemed overly plays tested, most of the puzzles were too clearly signposted. Felt like I found most of the solutions by looking up and finding the white wall surrounded by gray walls putting a portal there and the puzzle of was half done

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I remember when they did a VR Half Life spinoff and there were a bunch of reviews about how it was really good and then some people were like "why aren't people talking more about how good this game only playable on a 500 dollar nerd helmet is?!" and then nobody ever talked about it again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wamdoodle posted:

guilty as hell

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Half Life Alyx also isn't an original property

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Half Life Alyx also isn't an original property

But it is an original game, like you said

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

okay fair I should have said what I meant

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gripweed posted:

I remember when they did a VR Half Life spinoff and there were a bunch of reviews about how it was really good and then some people were like "why aren't people talking more about how good this game only playable on a 500 dollar nerd helmet is?!" and then nobody ever talked about it again.

Did anyone ever mod it to not require the nerd helmet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone is doing just that, right now and its in beta(?)

My understanding its fairy hard to make work smoothly because things like the AI are built around the players movement limitations while the puzzles take advantage of your fine granularity of control so it creates a game that just emphasizes all the bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone's working on that but it was really designed around the two independent hands + head inputs so it may come out as a pretty different game

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I borrowed a headset to play Alyx but I really didn't get on well with the VR gameplay. It's amazing in the moments where you close one eye and aim down sights, but anything that involved moving and shooting at the same time was a miserable experience. And opening doors and drawers was pretty awkward too.

I'd definitely be up for finishing it in a non-VR setting, since I really want to know where the story goes. I think something like Portal would work a lot better in VR for me, it was mostly the movey shooty stuff that didn't gel. I wish there was a more elegant solution for character movement too - until there's a way to move around large areas entirely smoothly (ie not teleporting around) without making the player feel ill it'll never work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/thatretro/status/1386695803658461184?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Some VR controllers have analog sticks but it feels kinda weird. Like you’re riding on one of those hoverboards.