Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

500excf type r posted:

Also you're the only one on the planet that knows the bike stalled itself out and everyone just thinks you can't use a clutch

Did this the other day in my car. Of course since it’s a push button start AND stick, you can’t just turn the key and quickly hide your shame. The stick needs to be in neutral, clutch depressed, brake on, etc.

I got honked at like a motherfucker, an extremely shameful driving experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm spending the weekend riding bikes on the beach and Dunes at Sandlake (Oregon)
It's pretty neat. We all got paddle tires and smaller front sprockets, definitely all worth it

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm spending the weekend riding bikes on the beach and Dunes at Sandlake (Oregon)
It's pretty neat. We all got paddle tires and smaller front sprockets, definitely all worth it

I miss the greatest state in the union :(

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did this the other day in my car. Of course since it’s a push button start AND stick, you can’t just turn the key and quickly hide your shame. The stick needs to be in neutral, clutch depressed, brake on, etc.

I got honked at like a motherfucker, an extremely shameful driving experience.

My car has that hill assist but it's always on and cannot be shut off except by disabling the stability and traction control. It takes a pretty steep incline to kick on but when it does it's 2 full seconds of brakes after you release the clutch and literally the only time I have stalled the car is on an assisted hill start. Then after the push button start dance, it's still two more seconds of hill assist

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Off to Moab tomorrow morning. Thoughts and prayers.

edit; need to remove that reflector. I don't even have them on my street bikes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dema posted:

Have fun, take pictures, sorry about your levers.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

dema posted:

How far is the drive?

Juniper is getting too hot and too dry to be much fun. I'm going to check out the Morrow County OHV Park this weekend. Couple hours drive, never been there.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Five and half to six hour drive. Was originally going to mtb but discovered some last minute issues and the bike shops are way booked out.

Going to do some easy BS since I'm inexperienced and riding all alone. No friends so I have to take it easy. Planning on just cruising out to Chicken Corners and back.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dema posted:

Five and half to six hour drive. Was originally going to mtb but discovered some last minute issues and the bike shops are way booked out.

Going to do some easy BS since I'm inexperienced and riding all alone. No friends so I have to take it easy. Planning on just cruising out to Chicken Corners and back.

enjoy dude. I miss beautiful offroad riding

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Chicken Corners was super good. Some little technical parts and quite scenic.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dema posted:

Photos look great. How did the riding go? Always curious from someone coming from road riding

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I’ve got like a dozen years riding and racing mountain bikes. In addition to like four years on road motorcycles. Couple places I was surprised I easily made it up. Specially one really sandy and steep switched backed climb. Going down stuff was no problem. I just stuck it in first and kept my weight back.

Had a couple close calls but never dropped the bike. Applied the front brake a bit late in a loose corner and almost lost the front. And a minor whisky throttle incident when I hit something I hadn't seen/wasn't ready for. That was a couple hours in and I was getting pretty worn out and probably a little sloppy.

My legs are trashed today.

dema fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 19, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dema posted:

:hellyeah:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dema posted:

This looks amazing

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the bike matches the scenery

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

dema posted:

This looks incredible

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Got out riding two weeks in a row.

Yesterday I got out to the central/east side of Washington. We started riding in the rain which made the rocks pretty slick and we were soaked but eventually it got sunny later in the day. First time riding sandy dunes and it was fun but tricky to get used to. Kind of like the difference of skiing hard pack and powder. I was surprised how much throttle I needed to use and for the love of God, don't slow down or lean forward.

A few more hours of rocky desert riding and we started heading towards the car. My bike died and wouldn't restart. Battery started going dead due to all the electric starts. Changed the plug. Let it sit a while. No idea. Tried kick starting it with no luck.

I pushed my bike a quarter mile out to the road, road doubles on friends bike back to my vehicle and went and got my bike. It was a long day. I ate tacos at the Mexican place nearby before driving home.

We're going to check the compression tomorrow. I think I might be in need of a new top end. I really hope compression is fine (I doubt it) because I don't have a lot of cash right now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Looks like really nice riding. Check your wiring first.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looks like Beverly Dunes?

Pushing bikes sucks. I had to do that last weekend at Morrow County OHV in Oregon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pushing bikes sucks. Pushing bikes in the sand? May as well hire a helicopter to airlift the drat thing out like a stranded horse

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
A friend's 250 ingested sand in that same spot, the air filter wasn't fitted properly.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Looks like Beverly Dunes?

Pushing bikes sucks. I had to do that last weekend at Morrow County OHV in Oregon.

Prior to the bike pushing, how was marrow co? I've been eyeballing it for a few years, but always end up going to east fort rock instead.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ant mouth posted:

Prior to the bike pushing, how was marrow co? I've been eyeballing it for a few years, but always end up going to east fort rock instead.

I thought it was pretty nice. Lots of narrow double and single track through high forests. Still some snow and melt water puddles. It's all forest soil and rocks.
There was nobody there but us. The approach is weird in that the campground is right by hwy 207 but the day use area is another five miles down a dirt road. Some trail gates were closed but according to park management they are all open. The gates are easy enough to get around.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I also flipped my wr250f in those dunes on my first dirt biking experience. Something clogged my idle jet and it made feathering up the rocky slope back to the staging area hard for my first time out. I wanna go back there and Taneum this summer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah it was mattawa/sale mountains. We never made it to beverly. I usually ride the upper part of the mountains, never the sand. I'm a fairly new rider so that rocky road down was a bit too much for my buddy and I the first few times we went out there. I was riding with a new friend this time do we got down. That rocky road is a bitch getting back up though. Thankfully the bike died above the sand in top of the mountains but in a sandy gully. It was a 100 foot sandy hill climb and I was 3/4 up it when it died. That last bit may as well have been a mile. I side hill pushed it to make it easier and just kept going downhill.

Back story on my bike running. Last year my bike died on a ride and wouldn't restart. Thankfully most of the ride back to the truck was downhill. I successfully bump started it and rode it out. Kick compression felt lighter than before.

Over the winter I figured it was time to go over the bike. I shimmed my valve clearances back to spec. Also thought to clean my carb and rejet using and jet kit. First thing I found was my main jet had come loose and was sitting in my float bowl. After installing the jd jet kit, I mistakenly put the clip on the needle 3 positions from the wrong end at first, corrected that.

When I started riding again I was getting a lot of exhaust popping on decel which I originally thought was a rich mix, come to find out it was lean. I also replaced my exhaust gasket in case of an air leak.

Biggest mistake was in deep cleaning my carb, i removed my tps sensor from the body. I've since used a multimeter to get it back to spec readings but it's never run exactly right since. I rode it unplugged once or twice since and I'm not a fan of how it rides while unplugged, it feels very timid in comparison.

So fast forward to yesterday, I fixed the needle jet clip position, had the jd jet kit as specified for the elevation and temperature, new exhaust gasket, tps sensor dialed in. It started right up and ran well. Ran strong. A bit of exhaust popping on decel but I opened up the fuel screw a little bit and it mostly went away.

The bike started to die randomly throughout the day and didn't want to restart. After 5-10 minutes or so it would start back up again and run well. It did this probably 3-4 times that day before not starting at all.

So, I'm at a loss. I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to bikes and being my first dirt bike, this is helping me learn.

We're going to check the compression. Given how easy it is to kick over I think the top end might be at the end of it's life. I've probably only put 70 hours in two years but no idea with the previous owner. The top end was clearly redone at some point, no idea on the total hours though.

I might end up taking off the baja/tusk enduro wiring harness to see if there are any demons lurking there.

I will say, carbs and all the possible combinations of jetting based on temps, elevation, humidity levels makes me want a fuel injected bike next time. Not to mention accessing the carb on the aluminum frame wr is not easy. (Remove Exhaust, gas tank, rear sub frame).

So that's where I'm at today.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Hunted around for an air leak? Either airbox or exhaust

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
While at Morrow OHV I noticed my head bearing rattling. I figured I'd regrease the bearings while at it. After I pulled the fork legs out I noticed that the side that's been leaking very lightly for a few months now (I am dumb and should have taken care of this sooner) compresses far more than the non-leaking side.
The only shop close-by employs an independent suspension tech who is booked out. Seems like fork seals aren't that hard to do yourself, especially on this model (WP 43U cartridge), so I ordered some wiper seals and dust seals and oil.
Any goons do their own suspension maintenance?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

If you're replacing seals may as well get the bushings replaced as well. They sell fork rebuild kits for most models and it's marginally more expensive and worth it if you have the forks disassembled. A fork driver tool is handy for the seal, and then an oil height/air gap tool is handy too but I've used a coat hanger with a marked off height and just slowly added oil until the tip is wet.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

While at Morrow OHV I noticed my head bearing rattling. I figured I'd regrease the bearings while at it. After I pulled the fork legs out I noticed that the side that's been leaking very lightly for a few months now (I am dumb and should have taken care of this sooner) compresses far more than the non-leaking side.
The only shop close-by employs an independent suspension tech who is booked out. Seems like fork seals aren't that hard to do yourself, especially on this model (WP 43U cartridge), so I ordered some wiper seals and dust seals and oil.
Any goons do their own suspension maintenance?

I did my kyb forks on my wr250 last year, pretty easy for a first timer. Hardest part was I needed a specific castle shaped tool for the cartridge that needed a: to be ordered from yamaha for $70 and would take a while to arrive, or b: make my own out of perfectly sized steel closet clothes rod from home depot for $10. I chose the latter and it worked perfectly. Thanks internet for showing me how.

My forks were also leaking so while I was doing the seals I just redid everything to know for sure that my forks were fresh top to bottom. New oil, bushings and seals. Also installed quick air bleeders. Just go slow. Watch some videos or look through the manual before you do it. Make sure you have all the necessary tools before your start and have a little extra oil on hand. My forks felt brand new after.

A vise and soft jaws made the whole job much easier.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks for all the tips, goons. I've ordered an appropriately sized seal driver and bushings. I already had several videos cued up but haven't watched them yet.

I hope to check out Ahtanum or Little Naches soon, hoping the snow is gone from the lower elevations.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Verman posted:

Yeah it was mattawa/sale mountains. We never made it to beverly. I usually ride the upper part of the mountains, never the sand. I'm a fairly new rider so that rocky road down was a bit too much for my buddy and I the first few times we went out there. I was riding with a new friend this time do we got down. That rocky road is a bitch getting back up though. Thankfully the bike died above the sand in top of the mountains but in a sandy gully. It was a 100 foot sandy hill climb and I was 3/4 up it when it died. That last bit may as well have been a mile. I side hill pushed it to make it easier and just kept going downhill.

Back story on my bike running. Last year my bike died on a ride and wouldn't restart. Thankfully most of the ride back to the truck was downhill. I successfully bump started it and rode it out. Kick compression felt lighter than before.

Over the winter I figured it was time to go over the bike. I shimmed my valve clearances back to spec. Also thought to clean my carb and rejet using and jet kit. First thing I found was my main jet had come loose and was sitting in my float bowl. After installing the jd jet kit, I mistakenly put the clip on the needle 3 positions from the wrong end at first, corrected that.

When I started riding again I was getting a lot of exhaust popping on decel which I originally thought was a rich mix, come to find out it was lean. I also replaced my exhaust gasket in case of an air leak.

Biggest mistake was in deep cleaning my carb, i removed my tps sensor from the body. I've since used a multimeter to get it back to spec readings but it's never run exactly right since. I rode it unplugged once or twice since and I'm not a fan of how it rides while unplugged, it feels very timid in comparison.

So fast forward to yesterday, I fixed the needle jet clip position, had the jd jet kit as specified for the elevation and temperature, new exhaust gasket, tps sensor dialed in. It started right up and ran well. Ran strong. A bit of exhaust popping on decel but I opened up the fuel screw a little bit and it mostly went away.

The bike started to die randomly throughout the day and didn't want to restart. After 5-10 minutes or so it would start back up again and run well. It did this probably 3-4 times that day before not starting at all.

So, I'm at a loss. I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to bikes and being my first dirt bike, this is helping me learn.

We're going to check the compression. Given how easy it is to kick over I think the top end might be at the end of it's life. I've probably only put 70 hours in two years but no idea with the previous owner. The top end was clearly redone at some point, no idea on the total hours though.

I might end up taking off the baja/tusk enduro wiring harness to see if there are any demons lurking there.

I will say, carbs and all the possible combinations of jetting based on temps, elevation, humidity levels makes me want a fuel injected bike next time. Not to mention accessing the carb on the aluminum frame wr is not easy. (Remove Exhaust, gas tank, rear sub frame).

So that's where I'm at today.

Might be worth checking electricals, starting with just double checking some of the connections. Ignition coil etc.

I had a strange starting issue on my bike, but coupled with weak/uneven throttle response. Turned out I had accidentally bumped one of the ignition coil plugs while pulling the airbox for maint.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Thanks for all the tips, goons. I've ordered an appropriately sized seal driver and bushings. I already had several videos cued up but haven't watched them yet.

I hope to check out Ahtanum or Little Naches soon, hoping the snow is gone from the lower elevations.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to do yourself and there are a ton of really helpful videos online for exactly whatever your suspension is so you can just follow along.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Did a compression test on the wr, 70 psi. Womp whomp. Guess that's pretty clear. Top end time.

Might order a leak down tester to see if it's just rings or an air leak somewhere else but I figure if I'm getting into my top end, I may as well ensure everything is new and to spec.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verman posted:

Did a compression test on the wr, 70 psi. Womp whomp. Guess that's pretty clear. Top end time.

Might order a leak down tester to see if it's just rings or an air leak somewhere else but I figure if I'm getting into my top end, I may as well ensure everything is new and to spec.

That sucks, sorry.

The internet likes this place, fwiw. http://www.midwestmoto.com/categories/Dirt-Bike-Parts/Engine/Complete-Top-End-Rebuild-Kits/Yamaha/

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I mean I can't really complain. Bought the bike for $2800 two years ago pre covid insanity. I've put 70-ish hours on it mostly trouble free (engine wise). Its my first dirt bike and I knew I wanted a cheaper used bike as my first to beat around as I learned and its been great. Its also helped me learn how to wrench on a bike and this will be one more aspect of fixing a bike that I get to learn. To spend a few hundred bucks on the top end isn't too bad. I just didn't want to spend $1000+ at a shop for something I can tackle on my own, not to mention how backed up they are right now.

Given where my valve clearances are at now, the yamaha tech when I bought my last shims said thats about the last shim job on those valves before a valve job, I'll also likely have that done/do it while the engine is apart as well. Unfortunately we're in the process of buying a house and close mid may so cash is tight, moving to a place with a garage but I don't feel like moving a bike in pieces so I might not be riding for the next month.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 27, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I went to Ahtanum State Forest yesterday, second day after opening back up to vehicles/OHVs rather than snowmobiles.
It was surprisingly snow-free. Didn't check out the Darland Mountain loop as that was probably still blocked off by snow. We did do Nasty Creek trail which had almost nothing at all for snow. Just some short, fun patches.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

I went to Ahtanum State Forest yesterday, second day after opening back up to vehicles/OHVs rather than snowmobiles.
It was surprisingly snow-free. Didn't check out the Darland Mountain loop as that was probably still blocked off by snow. We did do Nasty Creek trail which had almost nothing at all for snow. Just some short, fun patches.

Cool, I've been wanting to ride out there, never been. I'll need to replace my top end before I get riding again though :smith:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Verman posted:

Cool, I've been wanting to ride out there, never been. I'll need to replace my top end before I get riding again though :smith:

There are some terrifying trails at Ahtanum* if you know where to look. The majority of it is easily accessible and signed forest roads, double track, and some single track of varying difficulty. It's all greendot roads. It's a really nice place and has been my favorite late spring - fall place to go for Jeep trails and dirtbikes.

* and Naches/Rimrock, the trails systems are linked if you're capable/stupid enough.
Here's Narrowneck Gap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFPmwm_qg0

Edit: Or the appropriately named Pucker Ridge, I mean look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwyJHmhPzfg&t=1205s

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 3, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol that dude filming the orange jeep using the winch :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Those look super fun for a bike. And horrifying for a jeep.