Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I have completed the video game. It was a class act throughout. I probably went faster than I had to, but I was motivated to solve the case. I only saw the seams in the narrative once, when I ran into something I was probably supposed to encounter very early in the game, instead, very late. That being the side room next to Klassje's place, which I only busted into after the tribunal and everything. I also suspect I was supposed to enter it from below, which would have made some things make a little more sense. Even so, it was only slightly disjointed.

I thought that the game was going to be significantly more didactic than it was. I mean this as praise. It was certainly a political work, but it was less... indoctrinating in tone, I suppose, than I expected from reading discussions of the game in passing.

A few notes and thoughts from later in the game.

I actually had gotten a game over from Ruby's death ray. I assume if Kim is not there to absorb some of the force it just kills you, or possibly you are driven irretrievably mad. Unfortunately, for me, Ruby shot herself.

Gary truly was my lucky racist. The tribunal was perhaps the most brutal thing I had seen in one of these situations and I am not ashamed to say that the text after being shot reminded me of my own experiences with major injury, to the point where I had to take a break. It was not a long break, because by the time I had to get up and walk around a little, I had saved Kim. The game really does make you love Kim.

I knew the phasmid was coming and I even knew approximately where and when, and it still loving got me. I appreciated the cosmic note of what was going on, but what did confuse me a little is why the phasmid seemed to be strengthening the deserter somehow... I thought it was going to be some kind of psychovore, perhaps either feeding on his strong emotions or providing some other buttressing, but it really seems like it might have just been a side effect of long term exposure. What I did appreciate with this too was that the deserter had plenty of reason to be doing what he did, and a motive and a personality behind it, and the entire thing hung together even without the phasmid.

The cosmic presentation of what the phasmid told you made a lot of sense to me. In particular, the comparison to the oxygen devastation, and how there were no trees that eat thoughts. Then again, perhaps if the phasmid did eat thoughts, this would be the augury of something new. A psychovoric ecology. I had also expected that the game would snap away Kim's singular photo of the drat thing, but no! As far as I can tell as of game end, the phasmid was entirely correct.

On a second playthrough I will avoid becoming Cuno's bitch, if such a thing is possible.

The game is pretty explicit (at least if you have enough Electrochem) that ENDGAMESPOILER. The Phasmid releases pyscho-active chemicals that make it hard to notice it. Something like pheromones. The deserter is basically long term overdosing on these which is offered as a partial explanation for things like why he is still so horny at his age. The Phasmid eats grasses, IIRC. The thing that eats thoughts is The Pale, which only exists because of humans. Or at least that's what I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can't believe the Ultraliberal Vision quest is still broken almost 2 weeks later. I'm really disappointed cause this killed my playthrough.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
No one really knows what the Pale is. The Cryptid is the only thing to go off that its man made. Not saying it's lying but its only one source. It gets a bit meta because it may or may not be just a metaphor made reality such that the past is literally destroying the present. Personally I do like that metaphor but I feel it can't be just that diegetically. Well it can. But I hope not. It's a bit like Twin Peaks where on one level its basically a bunch of stuff Lynch likes such as Buddhist philosophy and dream logic but diegetically there's 'other dimensions' and entities and all kinds of weird vaguely defined other worldly concepts that make it work in universe. Much like Twin Peaks I think the Pale works best when not strongly defined so as to avoid issues like this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reaction Speed is underrated given its own thing is actually conversational, picking up on brief mentions of things and coming up with comebacks.

Tylana posted:

The game is pretty explicit (at least if you have enough Electrochem) that ENDGAMESPOILER. The Phasmid releases pyscho-active chemicals that make it hard to notice it. Something like pheromones. The deserter is basically long term overdosing on these which is offered as a partial explanation for things like why he is still so horny at his age. The Phasmid eats grasses, IIRC. The thing that eats thoughts is The Pale, which only exists because of humans. Or at least that's what I recall.

Yeah, what's going on in this case isn't actually psychic, and it definitely ties into the heavy themes of drugs and altered states throughout the game. The Phasmid's pheromones cause humans to forget they ever saw it over long-term exposure, hence why it's a cryptid and its sightings are always one-offs, usually from children or teenagers, and the Deserter is incapable of acknowledging it. And when it leaves, he basically crashes/goes into withdrawal. Otherwise, it's not psychic; Harry's communion with it seems to be special.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

FrickenMoron posted:

Can't believe the Ultraliberal Vision quest is still broken almost 2 weeks later. I'm really disappointed cause this killed my playthrough.

Broken how? I just completed it on PS5 the other day.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ShakeZula posted:

Broken how? I just completed it on PS5 the other day.

If you open the container with rhetoric before getting the quest you can never enter it again after you get the quest.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think you can make a good case that in ENDGAME the phasmid isn't actually saying anything. It's all Harry via Inland Empire

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tylana posted:

Makes sense. I was trusting that character due to a lack of motive to lie and because they said nice things about me :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:goonsay: the pale doesn't "eat" thoughts. the root of the problem is that nothing does. rather, it's thought pollution. thought-smog

e: also while I'm at it it took me several playthroughs and idle skimming of an article about dark matter to really conceptualize what the coming pale apocalypse looks like. Half Light and other sources actually do phrase it specifically but I didn't "get" it. pale seeds aren't necessarily on the surface of Elysium. in fact, I wonder if they're like dark matter in that they have mass but otherwise don't interact with matter - in which case they would tend to sink towards the planet core. either way: the "unknown rate" at which the pale is expanding is because pale is expanding in three dimensions, not two. just as there are great gray arcs of pale spanning the sky across entire isolas, there are great veins of pale beneath the earth. when the final day arrives, that underground pale will finish eating its way through solid ground and come up from below, great cracks in the very earth swallowing everything.

hurry up and finish translating the loving BOOK KURVITZ

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 26, 2021

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I finished the game for the first time last night and like the other person said, even though I accidentally spoiled the meeting with the phasmid for myself, it really got me as well. It helped that I went super hard on cryptozoology the whole time. I also didn’t know when it was coming and thought I messed up somehow and wasn’t gonna get it.

I’m guessing it’s not possible to complete the game without seeing it? I remember there being a check of some sort I had to pass.

The game is a masterpiece. Looking forward to a playing through again with different stats (high Inland) and trying to prevent Ruby from killing herself. Unfortunately I don’t think I can resist picking commie options with how lovely all the other choices are so that will probably end up being repeated content for me.

The only thing that ever kinda took me out of the game was how often the voice actors would read lines in a way that didn’t make sense because it seemed like they didn’t have the context of the conversation and were just reading isolated responses without direction.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't think a single character makes it through the game without proferring an incorrect theory, skills and paranatural intuition included. It's cool that even the most strident skills at the most assured times (e.g. volition at the end of the Ordeal) have blindspots. Like in a bioware rpg or whatever, the Godly skill check success would serve you up the optimal quest solution, but in this game you have to scrutinize even the triumphant epiphanies you have.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't think a single character makes it through the game without proferring an incorrect theory, skills and paranatural intuition included. It's cool that even the most strident skills at the most assured times (e.g. volition at the end of the Ordeal) have blindspots. Like in a bioware rpg or whatever, the Godly skill check success would serve you up the optimal quest solution, but in this game you have to scrutinize even the triumphant epiphanies you have.

Are you saying this ISN'T the optimal quest solution?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, honestly I love that sometimes a high skill check just means you're getting it wrong in an extremely particular "competent enough to be a dumbass" kind of way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Maybe the Pale is the result of something that happens in the FUTURE and it's actually 4-dimensional. It seems there's less in the past, but really it's just because the past is further away.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

World War Mammories posted:

:goonsay: the pale doesn't "eat" thoughts. the root of the problem is that nothing does. rather, it's thought pollution. thought-smog

e: also while I'm at it it took me several playthroughs and idle skimming of an article about dark matter to really conceptualize what the coming pale apocalypse looks like. Half Light and other sources actually do phrase it specifically but I didn't "get" it. pale seeds aren't necessarily on the surface of Elysium. in fact, I wonder if they're like dark matter in that they have mass but otherwise don't interact with matter - in which case they would tend to sink towards the planet core. either way: the "unknown rate" at which the pale is expanding is because pale is expanding in three dimensions, not two. just as there are great gray arcs of pale spanning the sky across entire isolas, there are great veins of pale beneath the earth. when the final day arrives, that underground pale will finish eating its way through solid ground and come up from below, great cracks in the very earth swallowing everything.

Sure, I get this. To express the thought that had occurred to me more clearly: The thing with the oxygen apocalypse is that the oxygen generators didn't go away, and other things eventually made use of this horrible corrosive gas. If the pale is leftover thoughts, thought-exhaust, then in time - and perhaps there is not enough time - you would get something that would make use of it. However, the phasmid itself is already mutated with its parthenogenesis: could it not mutate again, or perhaps has already mutated? Could not something else, one of the other cryptids? The insects do not seem afraid of us. They are cheering us on.

As for the rest of what you're saying, It seems that you can interact with the pale. Those numbers stations things squash it down so you can send radio messages between isolas. People travel between isolas although it's clearly risky-ish. So it seems at least somewhat more complex than the Middle-Term Doom (Humanity's Fault).

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to find the shades of meaning behind calling it/her "la revacholiere." I don't speak french. What is that, like "sister revachol?" Miss revachol? Just a generic way to say "revachol (female)"?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s like how you might refer to a boat as a “she”. Revachol is just personified in the feminine. The variation of the word might be some type of diminutive

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Usually the French suffix -iere is the (feminine) equivalent to the English -er as in builder, baker etc. in this case I’m guessing it just signifies the spirit of the city as opposed to the city itself.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

plenty of precedents in reality of personifications of states, often feminine. Columbia, Britannia, etc.

Nessus posted:

Sure, I get this. To express the thought that had occurred to me more clearly: The thing with the oxygen apocalypse is that the oxygen generators didn't go away, and other things eventually made use of this horrible corrosive gas. If the pale is leftover thoughts, thought-exhaust, then in time - and perhaps there is not enough time - you would get something that would make use of it. However, the phasmid itself is already mutated with its parthenogenesis: could it not mutate again, or perhaps has already mutated? Could not something else, one of the other cryptids? The insects do not seem afraid of us. They are cheering us on.

As for the rest of what you're saying, It seems that you can interact with the pale. Those numbers stations things squash it down so you can send radio messages between isolas. People travel between isolas although it's clearly risky-ish. So it seems at least somewhat more complex than the Middle-Term Doom (Humanity's Fault).

I assume that what the phasmid/Inland Empire say is all true, admittedly mostly because I find it compelling. so I think it's significant that the phasmid says it'll be like the oxygen catastrophe, "only much worse." and moreover, it says that the "cosmos and the stars burning in it" are scared - if the insects aren't scared that's because they're not capable of being scared, but if the universe is frightened of it, I don't think it's a matter of biology. and remember that all those things you can do to make travel through pale easier is still only going through 'shallow' pale - go deep enough into the pale, ref. the Motorway South thought and Joyce's dialogue, and fundamental laws of the universe stop working. I assume that reading about the 'vacuum catastrophe' was involved in the genesis of this idea, because I read it as way, way more permanent a problem than you do.

now, I would buy an argument that a new reality would coalesce from a pale-consumed universe, intrinsically unlike the previous one but still real in a way that matters. but then I'd have to admit that I'm just subconsciously repeating the plot of dark souls.

anyway, yeah, maybe it's silly to trust Inland Empire totally. but if everything it says is true, it neatly jives with a lot of things. like Half Light/Cop of the Apocalypse insisting that the end will be some horrifying unknown shape, the existence of genius loci/literal personified spirits of places and concepts that Shivers suggests, and the whole thing about Dolores Dei being something that had watched and presumably predated humanity. also I like how doing things in the face of an extremely final apocalypse, the end not of humanity or of life but of reality, fits with the general theming of the game.
and, well, is Inland Empire ever wrong?

Almosthere
Mar 9, 2006
I take the personalities as non omniscient. Also each bit has it's own agenda, perspective, creed. I really love how each playthrough is another version of the truth. I wouldn't trust any of them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Encyclopedia would never lie to you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Would it ever answer the question usefully.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

christmas boots posted:

it was wrong about the pop quiz in the Innocences book :colbert:

visual calculus is probably the most reliable skill but thats mostly because it doesn't really have a personality and barely even pops up outside of its big skill check moments

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If you have 7 or more encyclopedia during the mercenary tribunal and you decide to do the red rhetoric/suggestion check it says to get the mercs interested in facts as a way of fighting them and it really made me happy somehow :unsmith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. How much do I need to level a certain skill to before the real interesting poo poo pops up? Five? Six? Seven?
2. Can gladly report I realized what's up with Cuno/Cunoesse and my Ex-Wife before lunchtime :sparkles:
3. Got Hobocop. What else I wonder could I conceptualize on day 1?
4. Besides investigating the corpse, what else should I do on day 1?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Talk to the lady on the boat, there's some important stuff it's easy to miss with the reality low-down.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ragnar34 posted:

I've been trying to find the shades of meaning behind calling it/her "la revacholiere." I don't speak french. What is that, like "sister revachol?" Miss revachol? Just a generic way to say "revachol (female)"?

It's not quite clear cut. It's obviously someone/something female (French has gender for things too) and tied to Revachol, but the nature of the tie is unclear. The most obvious would be "from Revachol", just like a woman from Paris is a Parisienne, a woman from Marseille is a Marseillaise, and a woman from Tours is a Tourangeoise. However, the "ère" ending would be more indicative of a (feminine) professional occupation, like la conseillère (the counselor), la laitière (the dairy product woman), la boulangère (the baker) or la menuisière (the carpenter). Thus we can infer that there is an intended connotation of la Revacholière being someone who works from/with the city of Revachol. Not just someone working there, but someone whose professional purpose has Revachol as a material, resource, instrument or end product. In that sense, la Revacholière could mean someone of the female persuasion whose job it is to craft Revachol(s). On a side note, obvious to any French person of a certain age who dabbled with anarchism during their youth, the city seems obviously named after the famous anarchist Ravachol, making it, already from its name, a symbol of rebellion and self-determination. With this in mind, la Revacholière could also be interpreted as an allegory for the Revolution. You could easily see the term used in expressions such as "on va leur chanter la Revacholière", literally "we're going to sing them the Revacholière", but practically "we're going to gut them, hang them, play le football with their heads, and remove their technocratic authority to replace it with a non-binding committee-based process".

Feel free to read this in the Encyclopedia voice.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Grouchio posted:

1. How much do I need to level a certain skill to before the real interesting poo poo pops up? Five? Six? Seven?
2. Can gladly report I realized what's up with Cuno/Cunoesse and my Ex-Wife before lunchtime :sparkles:
3. Got Hobocop. What else I wonder could I conceptualize on day 1?
4. Besides investigating the corpse, what else should I do on day 1?

Here's a list of how many passive checks each skill has and how difficult: https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/f0z2oa/total_number_of_passive_checks_in_the_game/

8 (and to a lesser extent 6) seems to be the sweet spot. Going above that might get you one or two legendary checks but 8 is enough for the most part.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Here's a list of how many passive checks each skill has and how difficult: https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/f0z2oa/total_number_of_passive_checks_in_the_game/

8 (and to a lesser extent 6) seems to be the sweet spot. Going above that might get you one or two legendary checks but 8 is enough for the most part.

note: due to how passive checks are calculated, that means you just need four ranks in a skill to get the majority of its dialog

i'd recommend picking a few favorites to push higher than that though; there's some good poo poo in the more difficult passives too

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FishMcCool posted:

Feel free to read this in the Encyclopedia voice.

Amazing answer. Thanks for that. The others were useful too, and about what I expected, but this is great.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
"You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Revachol really does seem to be a lot like Ankh-Morpork, the more you look at it. And the setting even has centuries being given names rather than numbers. (though retroactively rather than seemingly arbitrarily) Hell, the protagonist certainly has a touch of Vimes to him.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Revachol really does seem to be a lot like Ankh-Morpork, the more you look at it. And the setting even has centuries being given names rather than numbers. (though retroactively rather than seemingly arbitrarily) Hell, the protagonist certainly has a touch of Vimes to him.

This is pretty much how I see it too, a alternative universe Sam Vimes circa guards guards.
Man, no matter how many times I see it, the field autopsy scene is always loving great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

World War Mammories posted:

i really want to read it but it could be pretty different from DE since the game had a bunch of writers

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I have a problem on my latest playthrough where I can't put the body in the freezer . I found the freezer and interacted with it and finished the autopsy but the only option seems to be sticking the body in Kim's car.

:iiam:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

I have a problem on my latest playthrough where I can't put the body in the freezer . I found the freezer and interacted with it and finished the autopsy but the only option seems to be sticking the body in Kim's car.

You need to have a reason to. Notably you need to say There's still something to investigate here or something like that so you can miss that whole bit by being just too good at autopsies.
You can also just leave it on the ground. If you are some weird monster.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Question about learning caps. I'm on a 5/5/1/1 playthrough. I have internalised Boring Cop, which raises all learning caps to 3, and the Fifteenth Indotribe, which raises the cap for Savoir Faire to 6. The displayed cap for Savoir Faire is 9.

Obviously I've misunderstood how these things work. From a read of the thoughts I would expect it to be 6. It looks like only one of them raised the cap to anything and the other was added to it (if they were all added, I'd have 10 from my 1 MOT too). How does this stuff actually work?

(theory: any skills which raise a cap to something raise a hidden alternate cap, and all stack, and the hidden cap replaces your natural one if it's higher)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

sean10mm posted:

I actually had this and was confused, it turned out I just needed to trigger a particular dialogue option on the fridge. Something ‘this is THE fridge’.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think I did the autopsy too well by passing the difficult check to find the bullet which I never did on any previous playthrough, so there is no reason to save the body to look at again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

sean10mm posted:

I think I did the autopsy too well by passing the difficult check to find the bullet which I never did on any previous playthrough, so there is no reason to save the body to look at again.

My guess would be that the option appears if either:
- you haven't found everything, i.e. you haven't found the bullet.
- you have stated your intent to recover the boots.