Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't they do the Flair heart attack angle twice? And the second time they had to really double-down because nobody believed it and they were just pissed off it was being attempted again?

I'm almost certain they did, yeah, and it was the serious Owen Voice and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

Starrcade 98 had an absolutely horrendous build. They introduced Bam Bam Bigelow as a nemesis for Goldberg but were doing Nash vs Goldberg at Starrcade, so we got a bunch of really lame matches with no finishes because of it. Then you had the Flair heart attack angle during the Bischoff build and it was just awful.

Haha I had no idea. I thought Goldberg's whole storyline up to that point was him vs the NWO. WCW was worse than I thought.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Plus you had Wrath being fed to Nash. So loving dumb, he could have been Nash's first challenger.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Seams posted:

WCW was worse than I thought.

this should be incorporated into the thread title somehow

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Flair's doctor appeared on Nitro and said Flair hadn't had a heart attack but instead had been poisoned (with the implication it was done by Curt Hennig on Bischoff's orders).

Nash burying Wrath was stupid but Nash had history with Bryan Clark. I think Clark was a Kliq enemy in WWF and Nash & Hall totally buried Wrath and Mortis in a tag match on a 97 Nitro. Nash mocks Wrath to the camera and is probably drunk.

Late 98 WCW into 99 is just awful. Not even so bad it's good - it's just boring.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Late 98 WCW into 99 is just awful. Not even so bad it's good - it's just boring.

Yeah, there are some twitch streams that just air old WCW/WWF stuff 24 hours a day and the sweet spot for WCW is slimmer than I thought. 95 is really poo poo because you get Hogan coming in with the parade of old monsters from his past (Kamala, Avalanche) and the general funk of Hogan's Pals showing up.

96-97 is probably the best spot for 90s WCW. A lot of the main event stuff is still poo poo with Hogan/Savage/whatever other old dudes bouncing around but the undercards are almost always good to great on big shows.

Once you get to late-stage WCW the shows aren't even fun to watch to make fun of anymore, especially 99 and 2000.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, there are some twitch streams that just air old WCW/WWF stuff 24 hours a day and the sweet spot for WCW is slimmer than I thought. 95 is really poo poo because you get Hogan coming in with the parade of old monsters from his past (Kamala, Avalanche) and the general funk of Hogan's Pals showing up.

96-97 is probably the best spot for 90s WCW. A lot of the main event stuff is still poo poo with Hogan/Savage/whatever other old dudes bouncing around but the undercards are almost always good to great on big shows.

Once you get to late-stage WCW the shows aren't even fun to watch to make fun of anymore, especially 99 and 2000.

I want to say there was some decent wrestling tucked in there. I remember the Jung Dragons/3-Count stuff was good as long as you ignored the singing contract thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ganso Bomb posted:

If you use dev tools in your browser you can remove the div blocking the content. There's an interview with him there and in between getting heavy and being serious, he cracks some jokes like the Mongo of old.
Is there an easy way to do this non-coders can figure out with some instruction?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Is there an easy way to do this non-coders can figure out with some instruction?

Check your DMs!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

The worst part about that is I think an extended Sting/Avalanche program would have been neat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/90sWWE/status/1387182164962422784

good dad

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That reminds me of my favorite WCW fan gif, the mustache guy who rips up a Hogan bandana then throws up the Horsemen hand sign. Who's got it??

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Never a bad time to see that gif

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

gently caress yeah brooooo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The "How do you like that?!" face at the end is what makes it

Am I wrong, or was this taken in the dying days of WCW when they were finally killing their market in NC for good, and they dumped a bunch of free Hogan merch on a crowd that just wasn't having it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

That guy is definitely named Trey

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Halloween Jack posted:

Am I wrong, or was this taken in the dying days of WCW when they were finally killing their market in NC for good, and they dumped a bunch of free Hogan merch on a crowd that just wasn't having it?

Wasn't Hogan tights and braces full time then? And the tights on Macho

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I only just realized that Macho is in the frame. My focus is totally on Trey

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Bless you.

Love the guy to the side who points at him with glee as he watches this dude do his thing.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 28, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

IMO WCW sweet spot is Hall showing up -> Luger winning the title.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's from late Fall of 99, I believe in November. The fan had been given free Hogan merch.

The description of this gif in the Observer is what inspired me to do Tuesday Nitro. It's why we started in November of 95 instead of at the beginning.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

goddamn I love this dude

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure that was shortly before Hogan's heel turn.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I know Hogan was drawing some numbers for WCW when he first showed up but didn't think eventually do a bunch of stuff to make him seem more popular than he was?

I swear I remember them giving that one Hogan superfan/cosplayer seats where you could see him on camera all the time.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

TheKingslayer posted:

I know Hogan was drawing some numbers for WCW when he first showed up but didn't think eventually do a bunch of stuff to make him seem more popular than he was?

I swear I remember them giving that one Hogan superfan/cosplayer seats where you could see him on camera all the time.

I thought Hogan’s whole thing (even in WWF) was strategic vacation time; he’d leave to film movies/nurse injuries/etc. specifically when other shows/sports were hot (playoffs, finales, whatever) and drawing away viewers. Hogan would then return when that stuff was over with and claim he brought in the viewers.

IIRC, the WCW fans turned on Hogan’s bullshit real quick but WCW continued to superpush him, even when he was on vacation (with “Here’s what Hulk’s up to on-set of Thunder in Paradise!” segments and the like).

“When Poochie’s Hulkster’s not around, everyone should be asking “Where’s PoochieHulkster?”

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

MassRafTer posted:

It's from late Fall of 99, I believe in November. The fan had been given free Hogan merch.

The description of this gif in the Observer is what inspired me to do Tuesday Nitro. It's why we started in November of 95 instead of at the beginning.

Holy poo poo I can't believe they put that old man in short shorts that late on

I hope I'm never wrong again

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BodyMassageMachine posted:

IIRC, the WCW fans turned on Hogan’s bullshit real quick but WCW continued to superpush him, even when he was on vacation (with “Here’s what Hulk’s up to on-set of Thunder in Paradise!” segments and the like).

There was a December 1995 Nitro in Charlotte that was absolutely brutal. Hogan was not on TV much for the next couple of months, with speculation being dwindling pops. Savage, on the other hand, always drew a pretty steady positive reaction.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There was a December 1995 Nitro in Charlotte that was absolutely brutal. Hogan was not on TV much for the next couple of months, with speculation being dwindling pops. Savage, on the other hand, always drew a pretty steady positive reaction.

Rabid WCW fans seemed like they always hated Hogan if he was up against a WCW regular like Flair or Vader, or Savage for whatever reason. Not sure if it was a lesser of two evils thing or what but the crowds always seemed to like Savage way more than Hogan.

Savage was always better than Hogan anyway but it was kind of interesting to see Savage get accepted fairly easily while fans still poo poo on Hulk.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I know in my own experience as a kid I liked Hogan well enough but after I hit a certain age he became utterly repellant to me. He looked stupid, his promos were stupid, he didn't do cool moves. Hogan sucked.

Now Savage, he always ruled (not as a person of course)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

I know in my own experience as a kid I liked Hogan well enough but after I hit a certain age he became utterly repellant to me. He looked stupid, his promos were stupid, he didn't do cool moves. Hogan sucked.

Now Savage, he always ruled (not as a person of course)

Yeah, for my friends and I it was Rumble 92 that begin souring us on Hogan. We would have been 9 or so at the time. Him pulling Sid out and being a poor sport really started to ruin him in our eyes, and WrestleMania IX was the nail in the coffin for me. Bret had been my favorite going back to Mania IV or so and it was super frustrating that Hogan came in and (in my child eyes) stole the belt before Bret ever had a chance to fight for it again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Our hero is from the December 11 1995 Nitro, here's Dave's recap:

quote:

Hogan was booed out of the building again, this time more than ever. The crowd was dead for the first two TV matches (even though the first one was a great match) because so many negative Hogan and pro-Flair signs were confiscated before the show that it left the live crowd pissed and they didn't start reacting until Flair came out for an interview. They did an angle to make sure Flair was booed by having Flair, Brian Pillman and Anderson (Chris Benoit was in Japan) destroy Orndorff with a stuff piledriver on the floor, and they put a neck brace on Orndorff and carried him out and sent him away in an ambulance on television. I believe Orndorff is undergoing some type of surgery so this was a storyline to explain his absence. Anyway, that didn't work at all. In fact, nothing on the show worked the way it should have although it wasn't as if Hogan's reaction in Charlotte wasn't expected. Fans in the first few rows that were given Hogan merchandise to wave around (nobody actually buys Hogan merchandise at these shows, the stuff you see on TV is planted) at the end of the show were ripping up the bandannas and throwing them at Hogan. Luger was also cheered and the biggest pop of the night was when either Flair poked Hogan in the eyes or when Luger put Hogan in the torture rack. Luger did a run-in during the main event and put Hogan in the rack outside the ring. Flair & Anderson doubled on Sting for several minutes. Sting first made the hot tag behind the refs back and when Hogan asked the fans, they all screamed that Hogan hadn't made a tag. It was hilarious. Anyway, Hogan finally made the hot tag, popped up after Anderson's spinebuster and pinned him with a legdrop. Pillman ran in again attacking Sting until Luger made the save for Sting, but then joined the Horsemen in attacking Hogan until Sting made the save for Hogan. While all this was going on, Savage did a run-in and Sting punched him. Sting later apologized in a long terrible post-match interview which saw both Hogan and Sting on live television forget parts of the storyline each was involved in. Sting thought he punched Hogan last week when it was the other way around. Hogan talked about being suspended from WCW (which makes a lot of sense since he wrestled that night) when it was a probation.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Thank you sir. Dave also continually makes a point to reiterate that Hogan initially bombed and it took months for the nWo angle to start driving business, while Flair/Savage was responsible for the jump in house show attendance.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
I don't think it could be stated strongly enough how much WCW's fans loved Ric Flair.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is this the era Lex was secretly doing the best character work in the company and heeling it up behind Sting’s good natured but oblivious back?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
talking about WCW giving away free Hogan merchandise, I'm still amused to this day that when Hogan showed up in TNA for the first time and they had 2 or 3 rows of plants on hard cam wearing nothing but Hogan gear.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tato posted:

Thank you sir. Dave also continually makes a point to reiterate that Hogan initially bombed and it took months for the nWo angle to start driving business, while Flair/Savage was responsible for the jump in house show attendance.

Seriously? I had always heard Hogan was a bump to business, dropped off, then the nWo happened.

Hogan not doing well at all makes a lot more sense because all of his stories in WCW sucked poo poo.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The first Hogan/Flair PPV drew their biggest buyrate since 1989 and I’m pretty sure the Hogan/Flair Clash episode did a huge rating, so I don’t think that’s exactly true. I think Dave has said elsewhere that getting Hogan was the only move to keep the company alive at that point.

It’s true that Savage, Flair and Liz deserve credit for the house shows improving, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Seriously? I had always heard Hogan was a bump to business, dropped off, then the nWo happened.

Hogan not doing well at all makes a lot more sense because all of his stories in WCW sucked poo poo.

Uncensored 96 with the Doomsday cage did the biggest PPV number in company history.

Hogan was clearly on borrowed time as a face and the fans who were going to shows increasingly tired of him, but he had been well worth his contract to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not to mention Hogan up a lot of mainstream coverage and marketing deals that WCW didn't have at the time.