Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
the "WHAT'S X DOING IN THE IMPACT ZONE!?" names are always less exciting irl than they are in the memes https://streamable.com/n57tm4

This forum alone came up with a dozen better TNA names than his first name abbreviated

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
drat he's really leaned up

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

The A&E Piper doc was gutting at points, but goddamn amazing. I don't know how many of these they are going to do, but if the average one is even close to as good as this one, it's going to be my favorite wrestling related show of the week for however long they do it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

collocation posted:

The A&E Piper doc was gutting at points, but goddamn amazing. I don't know how many of these they are going to do, but if the average one is even close to as good as this one, it's going to be my favorite wrestling related show of the week for however long they do it.

There’s six more of them.

Randy Savage
HBK
Booker T
Bret Hart
Ultimate Warrior
Mick Foley

Edit: Last week was Austin.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 26, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There’s also been two episodes of this so far, and is also on Sundays on A&E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWKfKRkE6RY

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Gonz posted:

There’s six more of them.

Randy Savage
HBK
Booker T
Bret Hart
Ultimate Warrior
Mick Foley

Edit: Last week was Austin.

Thank you. All of those could be good, but Hart and Booker sound amazing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

collocation posted:

i liked the part where they got Hulk loving Hogan to talk about how dumb and shameful piper was for not taking the pin at WM1, and then got his family to discredit the times he rightfully spoke up about mistreatment and overwork while vince mcmahon cries about all the bad words he said about his company and then framing vince as "forgiving" for letting him ever come back

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i liked the part where they got Hulk loving Hogan to talk about how dumb and shameful piper was for not taking the pin at WM1, and then got his family to discredit the times he rightfully spoke up about mistreatment and overwork while vince mcmahon cries about all the bad words he said about his company and then framing vince as "forgiving" for letting him ever come back

Those were the worst two parts. The prior was incredibly craven bullshit and par for the course as far as Hogan goes, just like how Savage supposedly forgave him shortly before his death. While it resulted in Vince being able to put across the incorrect narrative that he wanted to, the situation with his family was more nuanced and sadder. Ultimately, I felt bad for his family because, for whatever reason, be it his own need to justify his working with Vince later on, and possibly to feel that he had a higher degree of agency in dictating his own fate, that was apparently the narrative that he later gave them. While meager in comparison to the trail of dead bodies that he has left, if we're speaking of bad stuff from the documentary, I would also throw in Vince's show opening joke. What the gently caress was that? Even with an independent production, Vince and WWE are such a monolith of lies and manipulation that they can and will inject a certain amount of bullshit.

All the same, it gave me a greater degree of respect for Piper than I had before the documentary. He was obviously a really messed up person with a horrible childhood, yet he was seemingly able to channel his darkness into something that provided him with a living while minimizing it's impact on his personal life. As a result, he was able to do what many wrestlers who came from better circumstances failed to do, and hold onto a loving wife for nearly 4 decades, while seemingly actually being a good father who didn't let his own demons cause him to gently caress up his kids or continue the cycle of abuse with them. I knew Piper's wrestling history and they covered the earlier portion of that well, but even as distanced as the road made him be much of the time, the story of him keeping his family together as something separate from the business, and seemingly being essentially a good man to his family in his personal life was a more compelling story to me. Life doesn't tend to have as clear of victories and losses as wrestling does, but when one compares his still loving wife and children to Hogan's family, as cliche and dorky as it sounds, it felt evident that Piper won the most important bout that he had with that craven dogshit piece of human garbage, Hogan.

(Of course, being a WWE approved documentary, if he had been a documented convicted wifebeater like Austin, it's not as if it would have come up.)

bartok
May 10, 2006

Kinda want to see the Ultimate Warrior episode to see how they ignore his post wrestling career as a professional racist and homophobe.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like this A&E series is their way of pushing back against the Vice series and they purposely chose a bunch of subjects that Vice hasn't touched upon yet like Piper and Warrior. I sincerely doubt they'll touch the Owen Hart story unless Vince and McDevitt are feeling particularly cruel and heartless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blaise330 posted:

the "WHAT'S X DOING IN THE IMPACT ZONE!?" names are always less exciting irl than they are in the memes https://streamable.com/n57tm4

This forum alone came up with a dozen better TNA names than his first name abbreviated

Ditching his "I used to be in WWE" name is good but this does not work.

bartok posted:

Kinda want to see the Ultimate Warrior episode to see how they ignore his post wrestling career as a professional racist and homophobe.

Isn't the WWE narrative that he was a non-specific bad person who found god before his death and dedicated himself to charity?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Blaise330 posted:

Did he cut a ten minute promo on why The Simpsons were very mean to him?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bartok posted:

Wasn't that also his wrestling career?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The sheer speed with which Matt Stryker jumped on the opportunity to make Morrissey puns was halfway between admirable and embarrassing.

Wasn't there an episode of RAW at some point where he referenced, like, ten Smiths songs across two hours? The only one I remember is him saying that William Regal was from "The coastal town that they forgot to close down"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Lamuella posted:

The sheer speed with which Matt Stryker jumped on the opportunity to make Morrissey puns was halfway between admirable and embarrassing.

Wasn't there an episode of RAW at some point where he referenced, like, ten Smiths songs across two hours? The only one I remember is him saying that William Regal was from "The coastal town that they forgot to close down"

It was Regal during the women's season of game-show NXT, I think, and he did a speed-run of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

He also called Regal the Ringleader of the Tormentors

It was way, way worse when it cane to Yoshi Tatsu

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/31338515/supreme-court-declines-hear-wrestlers-brain-damage-cases-wwe

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

poo poo. the WWE wins again.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so about that assumption that nxt was moved for hockey

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1386714925259583496

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it was moved for hockey, then the hockey negotiations fell through or whatever. honestly wouldn't be surprised if they move back in a couple of months lol

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Todd Chrisley will figure out he wants that Tuesday night slot

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Neodoomium posted:

Todd Chrisley will figure out he wants that Tuesday night slot

I've heard he knows best

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

yea ok posted:

it was moved for hockey, then the hockey negotiations fell through or whatever. honestly wouldn't be surprised if they move back in a couple of months lol

Can't wait for the TNA-esque "We heard your feedback, and we're MOVING BACK HOME to Wednesday nights!" announcement.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The new WWE.com banners for their respective shows are definitely...interesting on who they picked to be spotlighted on each banner.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
poor asuka

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

The new WWE.com banners for their respective shows are definitely...interesting on who they picked to be spotlighted on each banner.

They mostly seem to be what I expect, except they have those two brands on the bottom left that don't appear to exist IRL

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Raw is your home for blondes!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

flashy_mcflash posted:

They mostly seem to be what I expect, except they have those two brands on the bottom left that don't appear to exist IRL

I think spotlighting Scarlett over someone like Io is definitely a weird choice though on the NXT banner. Scarlett has never wrestled in NXT and the biggest thing she did on TV is set a contract on fire with a kiss or something?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
The Smackdown one is the only one I can name all the people on, unless that's Charlotte in the top right of Raw and whatever Fantasma's WWE name is on the right of the NXT one.

NXT UK and 205 Live though are a lot of "Who?"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The making everyone on the sides of the graphic getting progressively shorter doesn't really work. Alexa is barely on the graphic. It is hilarious tho.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You can't fool me, none of the people on the 205 Live banner are real

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wow, can't believe Main Event didn't get a banner.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

I think spotlighting Scarlett over someone like Io is definitely a weird choice though on the NXT banner. Scarlett has never wrestled in NXT and the biggest thing she did on TV is set a contract on fire with a kiss or something?

Isn't she part of the champion's act?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Should KUSHIDA be on the 205 Live graphic? Does that show have a champion anymore?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

flashy_mcflash posted:

Isn't she part of the champion's act?

Yeah but even then, the primary focus is still on Kross, even if he is bland as gently caress.

Hell, both Kross and Raquel are massively underwhelming choices as champion right now. Putting aside both of their lovely politics, neither one has set the world on fire since they won the title. Kross has always been disliked by NXT audiences, and Raquel has pretty much lost all of her momentum from beating Io because they can't decide on her alignment. She's about to feud with Mercedes Martinez, but it's not a highly anticipated matchup either, and expectations are incredibly low.

Hell, they could have thrown another woman onto the NXT banner at the very least (one that actually wrestles), considering the NXT women's division is incredibly strong. Way more than the men.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 26, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

agreed. they should have put candice up there.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Candice will never get the respect she deserves in NXT.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hoss Corncave posted:

The Smackdown one is the only one I can name all the people on, unless that's Charlotte in the top right of Raw

You have to stop doing this, Dave.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WWE's biggest mistake with Candice was tying her entire character to Johnny.

Maybe she'll win the NXT Women's tag titles with Indi tomorrow night, but even if it does happen, she's likely just going to end up as a transitional champion because I have a feeling if Io isn't going straight for the NXT Women's Title when she comes back, she'll be tagging with either Zoey Stark or Sarray to win the tag titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also called Regal the Ringleader of the Tormentors

It was way, way worse when it cane to Yoshi Tatsu

to be fair "Ringleader of the Tormentors" was a loving great nickname for William Regal