Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Localization in any comedy setting is always going to be hugely difficult. I remember when there was a new Leisure Suit Larry in the... early 2000's I think? and the translators did a goddamn amazing job in carrying over the jokes and innuendoes into the other languages.
In games there can be a problem where the translators are working off concatenated excel files so the context for a word or short phrase can be almost impossible to guess. Like, you might have a phrase "we need to get to the X" where "X" is a variable. An example I know happened was in an fps in a war setting where the spanish translator translated "pillbox" as "pillera", which is literally a box you keep pills in.
This is why you have localization testers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/onision/status/1383520772937814017?s=21

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Katt posted:

Does Japan have a version of weebs that obsess over the correctly nuanced translation of Family Guy and Rick & Morty?
the only thing I have to contribute to this is that there was a small community of Japanese fans over on 2ch who were absolutely convinced that Fallout: New Vegas was the best fallout game

and they were drat right

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the only thing I have to contribute to this is that there was a small community of Japanese fans over on 2ch who were absolutely convinced that Fallout: New Vegas was the best fallout game

and they were drat right

Do they not have a Japanese release of Fallout 4?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Don’t worry. One day we’ll translate Brotherhood of Steel for them and they’ll know better

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RoboRodent posted:

Japanese and English are just such incredibly different languages that translation gets really complicated, even before you introduce things like dialects or puns or jokes about niche cultural concepts. It will never, ever translate perfectly.

And that's my only excuse for watching Miyazaki with dub and subtitles that are both in English but one is clearly a more literal translation. I like to see that difference. I like to see what little changes are made. I think it's neat.

You also have cases like the Ace Attorney games where localisation started out with "well let's just set the game in California in the English version" and then subsequent games end up "oh yes we're going to this isolated and traditionalist Japanese village full of spirit mediums that exists in California for some reason." And I'll never not find that funny.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hahaha whoa

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Makeup YouTube is serious business

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Push El Burrito posted:

There is a pretty sizeable fanbase of King of the Hill followers there from what I understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JH4YIXfNeA
Some differences in the Japanese dub:

-Boomhauer speaks normal Japanese at a normal speed.
-Hank's "BWAAAH!" is replaced by "EEEEH?"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Scratch Monkey posted:

Makeup YouTube is serious business

uh i'm more talking about the response from someone most famous for calling the police on Chris Hansen and a film crew doing a To Catch A Predator style sting on him

it is basically the epitome of a glass house to not throw stones from

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

uh i'm more talking about the response from someone most famous for calling the police on Chris Hansen and a film crew doing a To Catch A Predator style sting on him

it is basically the epitome of a glass house to not throw stones from

I don't know who either of those two people are.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

IIRC didn't the localization handle it by saying there was just a huge japanese immigrant community in this alternate timeline Los Angeles and that's why there was stuff like remote villages of Japanese shinto shamans and extremely popular children's cartoons based around samurai etc etc?

Now I'm imagining the writers putting in a case that happens in Los Angeles where you have to fly over to Los Angeles and there's a lot hinging on foreign legal nuance and a lot of extremely caricatured American culture and the localizers just being like 'so this happens in Texas...'

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Texas is a caricature of America, so it'd work.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PetraCore posted:

IIRC didn't the localization handle it by saying there was just a huge japanese immigrant community in this alternate timeline Los Angeles and that's why there was stuff like remote villages of Japanese shinto shamans and extremely popular children's cartoons based around samurai etc etc?

Now I'm imagining the writers putting in a case that happens in Los Angeles where you have to fly over to Los Angeles and there's a lot hinging on foreign legal nuance and a lot of extremely caricatured American culture and the localizers just being like 'so this happens in Texas...'

They never really explained it until the 5th game which features a traditional japanese village with a couple hundred years of history and local folk myths and that's when they finally threw up their hands and gave the explanation about a bunch of Japanese immigrants during the gold rush. In the earlier games they just told you about these traditional shinto shamans that are in the villages of California and dared you to question it. Frankly I thought the later explanation was a sign of weakness on behalf of the translators.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pththya-lyi posted:

-Boomhauer speaks normal Japanese at a normal speed.

I imagine there are a lot of arguments about this change in particular.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dang ol' desu ne, man

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2E1qqNLPQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mak0rz posted:

I imagine there are a lot of arguments about this change in particular.

I would flip the gently caress out about this if like I grew up in Japan watching dubs of King of the Hill and then finally learned enough English I could follow it with the original dialog.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
America still exports a lot of culture. In the not-idiot tweet thread about localizing anime posted recently, they point out a scene where a fantasy/comedy anime references the Skyrim “arrow to the knee” quote. People got mad about it, but Skyrim is one of the best-selling games ever, so it’s not much weirder than an anime referencing a Hollywood movie.

I’m going to be a possible IOSM by being the first to admit I’ve read the Nagatoro manga the started this discussion. There’s one thing in it that struck me way more than “sus.” At a couple points, the nerdy protagonist’s fellow nerds call him a “normalfag” for starting to hang out with the girls, which was way harsher language than had been used in the rest of the manga. Are they supposed to be the kind of people who reference -chan poo poo in real life? Was it supposed to be jarring? I couldn’t say whether it was the translator putting their own spin on that or not. It might be a minor contributing factor to him preferring to hang out with a girl who teases him constantly.

Big social media sites being based in America means that conspiracy stuff also gets exported, so conspiracy theory groups in other countries have a weirdly American bent. Donald Trump is a heroic figure and COVID was made to take him down specifically, and they’re concerned about the depredations of BLM and Antifa, stopping the steal, etc.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

One example of localization that weirdos have complained about whenever it happens even though it's imo such an obvious and clear-cut example of localization working is translating the word "kintama" to "family jewels". The former literally translates to "gold balls" and it's slang for testicles.

So there's a tendency (like when it came up in One Piece) to use the phrase "family jewels" as a translation because it refers to the same thing and still has connotations of something that has great value. Seems like a no-brainer, right?

And just like that I learned of a new joke in One Punch Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's definitely "wokeness" and not any other possible contributing factor that made people not be super interested in watching the Oscars this year.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1386741947830767618?s=20

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

christmas boots posted:

One example of localization that weirdos have complained about whenever it happens even though it's imo such an obvious and clear-cut example of localization working is translating the word "kintama" to "family jewels". The former literally translates to "gold balls" and it's slang for testicles.

So there's a tendency (like when it came up in One Piece) to use the phrase "family jewels" as a translation because it refers to the same thing and still has connotations of something that has great value. Seems like a no-brainer, right?

I love that, that's a really excellent example of good localization.

One thing that's really tough to translate are wordplay puns. They're really common in Japanese humor, and almost impossible to translate, so when someone pulls it off I'm always super impressed. Translators really don't get enough credit, especially when they did a great job and then some lovely editor or network comes in and decides to "fix" it for them and completely ruins it.

Skwirl posted:

It's definitely "wokeness" and not any other possible contributing factor that made people not be super interested in watching the Oscars this year.

God he needs to just shut up already.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dr Christmas posted:

America still exports a lot of culture. In the not-idiot tweet thread about localizing anime posted recently, they point out a scene where a fantasy/comedy anime references the Skyrim “arrow to the knee” quote. People got mad about it, but Skyrim is one of the best-selling games ever, so it’s not much weirder than an anime referencing a Hollywood movie.

I’m going to be a possible IOSM by being the first to admit I’ve read the Nagatoro manga the started this discussion. There’s one thing in it that struck me way more than “sus.” At a couple points, the nerdy protagonist’s fellow nerds call him a “normalfag” for starting to hang out with the girls, which was way harsher language than had been used in the rest of the manga. Are they supposed to be the kind of people who reference -chan poo poo in real life? Was it supposed to be jarring? I couldn’t say whether it was the translator putting their own spin on that or not. It might be a minor contributing factor to him preferring to hang out with a girl who teases him constantly.

Big social media sites being based in America means that conspiracy stuff also gets exported, so conspiracy theory groups in other countries have a weirdly American bent. Donald Trump is a heroic figure and COVID was made to take him down specifically, and they’re concerned about the depredations of BLM and Antifa, stopping the steal, etc.

"Normalfag" used to be a common translation for "riajuu", which is japanese -chan slang from 2ch, though I don't really know how harsh it is or how widely used outside of the internet.
Translators realized that calling everyone a fag isn't so cool anymore so it gets translated to "normie" more often nowadays.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Metal Gear Revengeance has some really solid localization.

You need to take a DOOMP!
wh- what?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Otana posted:

I love that, that's a really excellent example of good localization.

One thing that's really tough to translate are wordplay puns. They're really common in Japanese humor, and almost impossible to translate, so when someone pulls it off I'm always super impressed. Translators really don't get enough credit, especially when they did a great job and then some lovely editor or network comes in and decides to "fix" it for them and completely ruins it.

God he needs to just shut up already.

My favorite is the evil "Jashinka Empire" from https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Kagaku_Sentai_Dynaman, who use genetic engineering to evolve themselves above humans

quote:

The Jashinka Empire (ジャシンカ帝国) (Combination of the Japanese words for "evil" (邪心 Jashin), and "evolution" (進化 Shinka)) rises from the depths of the Earth to conquer the world.

Translation: Evilution.

I mean it just doesn't get more serendipitous than that

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I swear “X award show is being killed by wokeness/PC Culture” has been the line for the past decade as ratings decline like all cable stuff.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Skwirl posted:

Even the people I know who do actually watch and like the Oscars were like "I don't remember any of these movies. Are any of these real movies?" during the show this year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Even the people I know who do actually watch and like the Oscars were like "I don't remember any of these movies. Are any of these real movies?" during the show this year.

I'm mostly sure I hadn't heard of the movie that won best picture (Nomadland) before yesterday. Which isn't a criticism of the film, because, you know I had other things on my mind for the last year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand I don't think it is "wokeness" that's doing it.

On the other hand I am glad it is happening, and doubly so that it appears to be annoying noted potato gender enthusiast, piers morgan. So really I don't see any downside.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I've heard of most of them but only saw about half. I dunno, I thought they were all pretty good. Anthony Hopkins killed it in The Father.

Honestly though the foreign films were way better than anything we made.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

On the one hand I don't think it is "wokeness" that's doing it.

On the other hand I am glad it is happening, and doubly so that it appears to be annoying noted potato gender enthusiast, piers morgan. So really I don't see any downside.

I'm mostly annoyed he made me think positive things about the Oscars.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Nobody sane would sit down in a movie theater during the pandemic anyways, so it makes sense that people have seen way fewer new releases

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Nobody sane would sit down in a movie theater during the pandemic anyways, so it makes sense that people have seen way fewer new releases

They've been available to stream for a while, but Nomadland was available with just a Hulu subscription whereas the others you had to rent specifically I think.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Pinocchio was also trending on Twitter during Oscar night after getting nominations for costume design and cinematography. The hashtag was populated exclusively by people who had just that second learned of the film’s existence.

I’m not calling them idiots, I didn’t know about it either, it was just funny.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Apr 26, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Data Graham posted:

My favorite is the evil "Jashinka Empire" from https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Kagaku_Sentai_Dynaman, who use genetic engineering to evolve themselves above humans

That really is the perfect localization - it's an almost word perfect translation AND it's an almost entirely accurate feel-translation. It's a thing I've realized over and over and over again over a long time in localization - humor is not universal, styles are culturally different and a pun in one language is just stupid in another. You can't just word for word translate a joke and expect it to land.
You have to really translate it, and that requires extraordinary skill.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

christmas boots posted:

They've been available to stream for a while, but Nomadland was available with just a Hulu subscription whereas the others you had to rent specifically I think.

Nomadland is Hulu, Mank and Trial of the Chicago 7 were Netflix, Sound of Metal is Amazon Prime, Judas and the Black Messiah was on HBO Max for a month as part of the new simultaneous rollouts Warner Bros. are doing. The rest you had to pay full theater ticket price just to rent.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Wait, what? Holy poo poo this is like a few months ago when I learned about NBC's Horny Grinch like a month after it happened.

E: in regards to Pinocchio. I'm less thrown off by the reveal that Netflix was showing some of these movies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This has to be a bit, right?

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1386739614669365255?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

The UK is in a really obvious 'secret' culture war at the moment. He's certainly been 'called up' to do his bit. It's going to get so much worse as as the effects of brexit gently caress everything beyond fixing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Data Graham posted:

See also: the goon who localised the Gen IV Pokémon games translating “mori no yōkan” to “Old Chateau”/“Old Gateau”.

Shame he couldn’t do anything about the RAGECANDYBAR though.