Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Clark Nova posted:

making screws on-site is the conventional wisdom. There should be an iron node close to just about everything, or if you have the alt recipe, bringing in steel is a lot more efficient than stacks of screws

I mean, even if you're bussing around iron ingots (or even rods!) it'll be more logistically efficient than screws!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Been powering my whole world in update 4 with turbofuel so far but now that I'm in the endgame and getting into nuclear it just feels like a waste of sulfur. Fully utilizing a single normal uranium node creates 14.4 fuel rods/min which is enough to supply 72 reactors for a steady 180GW. All the production for it is set up with the uranium disconnected so the whole area doesn't become radioactive, just need to do all the reactors and water supply now which looks like a relatively major hassle. In my Update 3 save where I got the Golden Nut my entire grid capacity was maxed out at around ~120GW and I'm going to end up almost doubling that from this single project. Don't know how much power the setup to turn all the uranium waste into plutonium fuel rods for sinking will take but 180GW is enough that it can't make too much of a dent. Maybe the particle accelerators will actually use up all that capacity at some point, for now it basically feels like having unlimited power.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks y'all

Synastren posted:

I mean, even if you're bussing around iron ingots (or even rods!) it'll be more logistically efficient than screws!
I haven't really settled on my logic for what items to bus (I guess that's effectively what the hub-and-spoke from earlier is, when you get down to it) and what to repeatedly produce on-site, so I just defaulted to "everything from ingots down". Now it seems like "everything from ingots down except anything that's decompressed, like screws & wire", which does make sense.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay I moved my fuel power center straight to the nodes I was moving packaged oil residue from and doing all the refinement on site and yeah this is working so much better. I will say the SMART! mod makes setting up these side pop-up factories so much less of a hassle because I can throw down a huge platform real easily. I still haven't figured out how to do the auto-connecting splitters/mergers though but I don't really need that part of the mod tbh.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Auto-connecting splitters/mergers is really easy. Press "M" while building to bring up the SMART configuration screen, and toggle the checkbox for autoconnecting splitters/mergers. Then when you place multiple splitters they will include belts. There's another checkbox to make it copy recipes between machines when you do this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hm, it was on but I don't think it was working. I'll have to try again later. That only works for belts/splitters and not pipes/junctions correct?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah I think it only works for splitters/mergers because they can be placed directly on the floor, unlike pipe junctions. It also only works for the simplest manifold layouts (no "P" spacing).

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I built my first powerstation that actually feels competent. It's a drat sight better laid out than having my coal power squashed around the desert waterfall hoping I can get a water extractor to fit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate having holes in the floors because I always crouch jump around my factory and fall into the stupidest nooks all the drat time. Once I unlock walkways and rails it gets a little better, but not much.

So I deal with that water-to-the-coal-plant by building a straight line of stackable pipe supports about one foundation tile away from the building. Tall enough to run under and no holes to fall in.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I wish there was a foundation that had a hole for a conveyor lift to fit through it, would make some factory builds a lot neater.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

I wish there was a foundation that had a hole for a conveyor lift to fit through it, would make some factory builds a lot neater.

It would be cool if they added placeable conveyor holes (both horizontal and vertical), like you can place pipe holes.

I spent my morning running a long high-capacity pipe of nitrogen gas from the mountains down into my base. Time to get started on the tier 8 stuff!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gully Foyle posted:

Foundation frames kinda are this. You can put 4 lifts down though the holes in the frame. And you can fill around lifts using walkways.

There are screenshots around of how to build like this, the main thing is you have to space out machines so that their ports will be lined up with the 4m walkway grid. Which means not placing machines directly using ctrl-snapping, in seems super-tedious.

Bobulus posted:

It would be cool if they added placeable conveyor holes (both horizontal and vertical), like you can place pipe holes.

There's a mod that does placeable conveyor wall holes, but IMO the result isn't very pleasing because it's just a black void like the ports on machines & splitters, not a hole through the wall.

My top tip for wall holes is that when you need 1 hole but can't use the single-hole wall piece because it's not lined up right, use a 2-hole wall and block off the other hole with a pipe wall connector.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Using up 600 uranium is a lot more involved than I was thinking going into it.

Still need to fit 180 water extractors somewhere under that so I can make a 6x6 grid of mk.2 pipes with 600 water each to run all 72 reactors. The water starts being fake a certain distance from the beach and you can't put extractors on it so I hope there's enough functional area for it to work and I don't have to pipe it in from elsewhere.

Then I'll need to make this to deal with the 720 Uranium waste/min

Which itself needs various sub-factories to fly materials in by drone. Guess they weren't kidding about re-hauling the nuclear process to make everything more complicated, going to have endless power to work on the final stage of the space elevator after this is all sorted out. Dumping all the waste in containers on the edge of the map is probably a lot easier than making the plutonium production line but it feels like the lazy way of doing things.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Then I'll need to make this to deal with the 720 Uranium waste/min

Very impressive! I'm curious to see a map of your radioactive zone once that cranks up.
Just a few stacks of plutonium was enough to irradiate my entire swamp biome.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So this is gonna be a really dumb question and I know in my gut what the answer is, but still I gotta ask: Does it matter which of the 2 drone ports has batteries? Like can I have the drone's home port not have batteries, but its destination will have batteries and be good?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Very impressive! I'm curious to see a map of your radioactive zone once that cranks up.
Just a few stacks of plutonium was enough to irradiate my entire swamp biome.

Yeah, haven't started feeding the uranium to the site yet since I know I won't be able to get anywhere near it without a hazmat suit once I do and production ramps up. Those big spider things seem to like radiation at least, I'm actually doing them a favor if you think about it.

Leal posted:

So this is gonna be a really dumb question and I know in my gut what the answer is, but still I gotta ask: Does it matter which of the 2 drone ports has batteries? Like can I have the drone's home port not have batteries, but its destination will have batteries and be good?

Drones will pick up batteries from whichever port they can. As long as you have a supply at either the takeoff or destination you should be fine.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If you transport uranium/plutonium by drone, is the whole route contaminated, or just the end points?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I haven't tried it but I assume it'd work like trucks and trains where you'll take radiation damage if you're near the vehicles themselves. But they fly so high and so fast you're very unlikely to even get near one and certainly won't be for long enough to take damage, except at the ports.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

WATER

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Man this game needs a better way to plop down factories and stuff because i built (what i thought going in) was a pretty reasonable 2 story 12/m heavy frame factory and it took me 8 loving hours. I'm headed straight to burnout town and can't imagine doing poo poo like the above.

Is this just the thing you do every day for a few hours to unwind for weeks, months on end?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 28, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It does get easier the more you play because experience helps, but the restriction to first person perspective means it never becomes super fast. The hover pack is a small improvement but still not as ideal as a top down god view would be.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bhodi posted:

Man this game needs a better way to plop down factories and stuff because i built a (what i thought going in) was a pretty reasonable 2 story 12/s heavy frame factory and it took me 8 loving hours. i'm headed straight to burnout town and can't imagine doing poo poo like the above.

I'm firmly in the camp that doesn't want a direct copy of factorio blueprints, but even I think Smart is pretty great & something that the devs should look at for inspiration.

I use it mostly just for foundations and walls, it's still a huge timesaver just for that. When I have smart to build the initial platforms and building shells, I have no reluctance to mass dismantle if it isn't working or I don't like the way it looks.

edit: looking at your factory diagram, I have a suggestion though: don't use pure iron or wet concrete. Iron & limestone are the 2 most abundant resources in the game, you don't need to conserve them. A ton of refineries makes what should be a relatively simple build way bigger & more complex.

quote:

Is this just the thing you do every day for a few hours to unwind for weeks, months on end?

Yes. Not every day, but I've been playing almost nothing else since last summer.

Basically there are short stages during many of my builds where I'll feel a little bit burned out, then I take a break and go collect some HDs & slugs or build a KM of rail. But finishing a build is super-satisfying.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 28, 2021

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Man this game needs a better way to plop down factories and stuff because i built (what i thought going in) was a pretty reasonable 2 story 12/m heavy frame factory and it took me 8 loving hours. I'm headed straight to burnout town and can't imagine doing poo poo like the above.

My second save is nearing 60 hours and I'm burning out like I did on the first one around 50-55 hours. When I'm about to start working to open up Tier 7-8 and also spent 8+ hours last Saturday on a heavy frame factory with spare steel beams/pipes/encased industrial beams and the prospect of doing the same for computers is killing all my willpower... so I decided to automate gas filters instead and the more I thought about it, the more I'd need to retrofit my current oil stuff and each small idea is now turning into many hours of work. I think where we're at is my limit for this game. I can play 12 hours in the same day during the start up until Heavy Modular frames, crystal oscillator, etc... and then it just gets too much and knowing it gets exponentially worse, I don't feel like pushing through.

I was never in favor of blueprints but now I want them. I wouldn't want to be able to plop down a factory floor that comes from someone else but I'd like a system where I could lay out a foundation floor and plop down a blueprint I saved myself in that savegame, like you'd need to build that blueprint at least once in that savegame to be able to save it and copy/paste it somewhere else. I waste so much time with conveyors/splitters/mergers... Even after 100 hours I can't eyeball them AT ALL so I can do them again and again for each section of my production line. If I don't try to be neat, it's quick but it ends up in a nightmare of spaghetti.

I mean, just laying down each factory floor is taking forever. I don't want to be tied up to mods that needs to be updated so I don't want to use SMART!.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 28, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hemish posted:

I don't want to be tied up to mods that needs to be updated so I don't want to use SMART!.

The only thing that happens when Smart is incompatible & needs to be updated is that you lose access to Smart. None of the stuff that you built using Smart in the past has any change. After you place something using smart, there's zero difference between that thing and the same thing built normally.

Mods that add new buildings / items to the game have that problem, IMO it's a good reason to be cautious about mods that will become a major part of your world (like the daisy-chain mod). But smart and micromanage don't have that problem, and I recommend both of them unconditionally.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'd install smart this instant if it could do well with auto-belting assemblers/refineries to a 2-tier manifold with lifts attached to each machine like the picture a few days ago but it seems to really be limited in that regard. Getting those manifolds for multiple inputs took the largest amount of time by far.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm still getting used to this game and what I've learned so far is that part making buildings are very slow, recipes need a lot of intermediate parts. Thus, a 'reasonable' 12/m heavy frame blueprint has over a 100 buildings within it. I've just kinda resigned to making smaller factories until I can wrap my head around that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SettingSun posted:

I'm still getting used to this game and what I've learned so far is that part making buildings are very slow, recipes need a lot of intermediate parts. Thus, a 'reasonable' 12/m heavy frame blueprint has over a 100 buildings within it. I've just kinda resigned to making smaller factories until I can wrap my head around that.
Klyith is right, i should have designed for less buildings and not efficiency. It was a huge mistake. I'm realistically never going to use all the resource patches and there's going to be no "late game" if creating a super-efficient factory takes so long and burns me out this hard.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've more or less burned out while working towards nuclear power because other than I guess the Particle Collider (which I have no idea what purpose it serves) I have no real reason or drive to continue expanding so I think I'm putting this down until the next big update.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

SettingSun posted:

This is definitely a big playstyle difference I see with myself and a lot of posters here and on reddit, the mega base style is totally not my jam. It's definitely ok not to build huge factories, you may not take fancy screenshots but you are less likely to burn out. There's really nothing in the game driving you to produce items at those quantities. I tend to look at the target milestone product quantity and mentally try to hit it in 30m-2h and that tends to produce much leaner factories. Once that factory is up and feeding the shuttle or elevator, I go build the next factory, find hard drives or just let my computer grind it out idle while I go eat.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I take a really leisurely approach to making stuff.

- Build vertically. Start everything on a fairly small footprint (3x4, 3x5, that sort of thing), so that all the buildings can be placed close together.
- Only set up enough production to gradually fill your storage containers. Let them fill while you are off doing other stuff.
- If the required amount of a previous item starts to exceed the output (your storage container amount starts going down), just add another floor to the building to increase production.
- Occasionally go back and replace old belts and miners with faster ones. When you do this, increase the smelting of primary elements.

Taking this laid-back approach, I'm currently in the middle of Tier 7/8, I've spent about 70 hours ingame (in this save) and haven't experienced burnout yet.

The other nice thing about taking a slow start is that once you unlock a bunch of alt recipes, you don't have as much to tear down and replace.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Bobulus posted:

I take a really leisurely approach to making stuff.

- Build vertically. Start everything on a fairly small footprint (3x4, 3x5, that sort of thing), so that all the buildings can be placed close together.
- Only set up enough production to gradually fill your storage containers. Let them fill while you are off doing other stuff.
- If the required amount of a previous item starts to exceed the output (your storage container amount starts going down), just add another floor to the building to increase production.
- Occasionally go back and replace old belts and miners with faster ones. When you do this, increase the smelting of primary elements.

Taking this laid-back approach, I'm currently in the middle of Tier 7/8, I've spent about 70 hours ingame (in this save) and haven't experienced burnout yet.

The other nice thing about taking a slow start is that once you unlock a bunch of alt recipes, you don't have as much to tear down and replace.

I think another key for avoiding burnout is to not be afraid to use storage containers for inputs for early factories. For instance, I have a micro Motor factory that is really just one assembler making stators + one assembler making the motors. I have three storage containers for inputs: wires + pipes (for the stators) and rotors. Those three items are easy to make and are probably already part of your early game build. Every now and then I go and dump a bunch of items into the feeding storage units and the factory churns plenty enough motors for research, buildings, and hard-drive pod unlocks.

For this factory, the limiting stack is wires - one 500 stack of wires feeds that factory to produce for 12.5 minutes, making 75 motors. One full industrial storage can hold 10 hours of potential production.

Eventually I will probably want a constant supply of motors for late game items, but this does plenty for now, and it took maybe 5 minutes to set up.

As with the other advice to avoid burnout:
- A small factory that is making a small amount of something is far better than a hypothetical big factory that is not making anything at all
- Build your early factories in small working chunks. Build one floor to do a specific job and get it working before you build the next. Not only is troubleshooting easier (issues like forgetting to put a recipe in or connect an output belt), but it helps give you that feeling of satisfaction, and is easier to do with say a half-hour or 1 hour session.
- You don't need to stripmine the world dry or build a mega-factory to see all the content that is available.
- This one is personal, but it's fun to try to insert some aesthetics into each factory. Build around the terrain, or try to build in a different way. For instance, I built my early game modular frame factory above a road, with a goal to run a train underneath it later on. My early game steel factory, I decided to do very vertically using a 3x3 foundation for each floor (no more than 2 constructors or 1 assembler per floor), with lots of conveyor walls and lifts. Not the most efficient build but the satisfaction of it kept my interest in the project going over just making rows of machines.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 28, 2021

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I just recently started a new save, using the Smart mod for the first time. Everything pre-oil is coming out nice and tidy.

After working out the above in one big floor, I have a much better idea for how I would split it into more vertical buildings. It's nice being able to do more of the designing in-game instead of on paper.

I definitely still get overwhelmed by some of the larger scale routing issues. Dyson Sphere Program made that kind of thing way more fun.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bhodi posted:

I'd install smart this instant if it could do well with auto-belting assemblers/refineries to a 2-tier manifold with lifts attached to each machine like the picture a few days ago but it seems to really be limited in that regard. Getting those manifolds for multiple inputs took the largest amount of time by far.

I don't think that auto-belting can do lifts. If you use a bunch of extra space it can do 2-tier manifolds with sloped belts, meh. I don't use the auto-belting feature myself, it's neat but both limited and finicky.

But you can use the P & L functions to blast out a series of splitters at the correct positions to connect with lifts. That's the most annoying bit of doing the elevated manifolds.

Bhodi posted:

Klyith is right, i should have designed for less buildings and not efficiency. It was a huge mistake. I'm realistically never going to use all the resource patches and there's going to be no "late game" if creating a super-efficient factory takes so long and burns me out this hard.

If you planned it using the online calculator/planners, that's a thing you need to know about them: they all default towards "whatever path uses the least raw resources". So you have to be careful about which alt recipes you turn on. I would really love it if one of them had an option to minimize buildings.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I tend to look at the target milestone product quantity and mentally try to hit it in 30m-2h and that tends to produce much leaner factories.

Yeah. Though the final space elevator shipment is, uh, different.

Goddamn that stuff is crazy. I was thinking about trying to hit 24/m of the things you need 4000 of, and just realized that while 24 supercomputers per minute is an achievable build for me, each of the assembly directors needs 2 adaptive control units. No way will I get 48/m of those. Back to the drawing board.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Phssthpok posted:

I just recently started a new save, using the Smart mod for the first time. Everything pre-oil is coming out nice and tidy.

After working out the above in one big floor, I have a much better idea for how I would split it into more vertical buildings. It's nice being able to do more of the designing in-game instead of on paper.

I definitely still get overwhelmed by some of the larger scale routing issues. Dyson Sphere Program made that kind of thing way more fun.

I did the same, trying out Northern Forest for the first time and it's such a bonkers starting spot. Every resource up to and including oil in such a tight cluster, all conveniently laid out and easily accessible, with plenty of biomass to get you started. 4 pure iron nodes is an insane amount of production. Just blows all the other starts out of the water.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It also forces some unique building styles because of the terrain. It's a heap of fun, you can't just build out a giant foundation floor (well I guess you can, you can extend foundations over that huge cliff to the north of the 4 iron nodes but hover bases are not my style).

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah, I think it would be cool to build a "reverse skyscraper" with raw ore entering at the edge of that huge cliff, and each floor downward making more complex parts, culminating in space elevator items at the bottom of the cliff.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
There's actually two Northern Forest starting spots. One is at the cliff area, and the other is further east, in a small open area with 6 pure iron, one of which has a rock on it. The east one is my favorite.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

Yeah. Though the final space elevator shipment is, uh, different.

Goddamn that stuff is crazy. I was thinking about trying to hit 24/m of the things you need 4000 of, and just realized that while 24 supercomputers per minute is an achievable build for me, each of the assembly directors needs 2 adaptive control units. No way will I get 48/m of those. Back to the drawing board.

Seems like you really need a separate factory for just about every high-complexity item in the game to complete it in any reasonable amount of time. My final factories for completing it are basically going to be four drone ports flying things in to assemble in manufacturers or whatever building is necessary, but that first requires setting up sizable production lines for things like turbo motors, radio control units, fused frames, etc. Actually sending it and getting the golden coffee mug looks to be a project roughly as intensive as getting the Golden Nut in update 3.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
For me, Heavy Frames is about the point where I need to have satellite factories. My start was in the SW, so there's coal, iron, copper, and limestone in relatively close proximity. To make anything more complicated than Heavy Modular Frames and Motors, I need to bring something else in from another factory somehow.
I put up a rail line around the perimeter of the map (-ish), which was a major project but now I have a relatively straightforward way to bring large quantities of anything to most of my factories on the map.

I'm going to need to set up drones soon (my quartz miners are up on a cliff), but to do that I need to set up a battery factory, I don't have the non-blender recipe, so that might need to go somewhere that sulfur and nitrogen are close to each other, which looks like on the coast on the east side...

I find the tedious laying out of factories to be really relaxing. It does feel a bit like work to me, but it's work where things are done however I want them to be done, identically, every time and the result is always the same. Actual work is more like things might be done the way I hoped, and I'm lucky if they can be done the same way twice. All the screwups are my own, and I can decide myself if it needs to be redone or if I can live with it (I always live with it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm juuuuuust starting to break into nuclear and I'm 500 hours deep in my first save. I like the work of decorating and making factories feel like they have a sense of place, with little surprises scattered around like it's goddamn Mario 64. I work with the terrain. I'm an artist. I don't even like to repeat floor plans vertically, I like to lay them out like little houses in a little town with a little plaza between them, I'm a sick freak and I'm here to relax.