Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Barudak posted:

I'd turn the game difficulty to easy if you like the story, since that makes the combat just less.

This is good advice that I need to do more often. I end up quitting a lot of games these days that I was enjoying the story on, just because I don't have the time or reflexes anymore to git gud like I used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Butt Discussin posted:

This is good advice that I need to do more often. I end up quitting a lot of games these days that I was enjoying the story on, just because I don't have the time or reflexes anymore to git gud like I used to.

I ended up doing this with Fallen Order (switched to Story Mode about halfway through) and my most recent playthrough of Prey (had already beaten it on normal a few years ago, just flipped on Story Mode from the jump this time and enjoyed the ride). Cannot recommend it enough for folks who feel like they burn out on games relatively easily. It's also a great way to handle games where the act of playing it is either really repetitive (Yakuza) or hammered dogshit (Fallen Order).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Gameplay in Yakuza 0-6 never really gets "good"

Reported for ban

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Reported for ban

I want you to know, when I get out of probation I will have a full back tattoo and be gunning for you.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i swear to god we have this same exact discussion about Yakuza games and where to start with the series every 9-10 pages in this thread. isn't there a yakuza thread? lol i mean i don't actually care i just think it's funny, i think i know more about the Yakuza series (which i've never played) than many games i've played to completion thanks to you friendly folks

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

I want you to know, when I get out of probation I will have a full back tattoo and be gunning for you.

What will your back tattoo be of?

Do you have those male stripper outfits so you can dramatically tear off your shirt to show you mean business?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

barnold posted:

i swear to god we have this same exact discussion about Yakuza games and where to start with the series every 9-10 pages in this thread. isn't there a yakuza thread? lol i mean i don't actually care i just think it's funny, i think i know more about the Yakuza series (which i've never played) than many games i've played to completion thanks to you friendly folks
The last discussion about which Yakuza games to play was in early March, or ~50 pages ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

What will your back tattoo be of?

Do you have those male stripper outfits so you can dramatically tear off your shirt to show you mean business?

A back tattoo in traditional Japanese style of a bad rear end ChuChu

Don't worry about the suit, you get one of those complimentary on completing your stay in Japanese prison.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Butt Discussin posted:

I'm halfway through Yakuza 0 at the part where you control the hostess club owner guy and I'm losing interest in that part, and have taken a long break. Should I power through back to the story parts I'm more likely to care about, skip to something like Yakuza 6 which hopefully has better combat/gameplay, or skip to Like a Dragon which apparently has gameplay I'll like a lot more?

sounds like that's around the point where I stopped playing.

it's not a bad game at all, I can definitely see the appeal, but the combat gets really repetitive and the main storyline is too convoluted and takes itself too seriously for my taste. the side stories are great, though, but man I wish it were a much shorter game than it is

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Xbox: Yakkin' About Yakuza

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Play Yakuza if you want your daily dose of "wtf Japan."

I'm giving dishonored 2 an attempt. "No Powers" is spicing things up a bit. Can't solve everything with lvl 1 blink anymore. I heard bad things about the sequel but the level designers did just as well so far imo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

barnold posted:

the Yakuza series (which i've never played)

You should start with Yakuza 0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

A back tattoo in traditional Japanese style of a bad rear end ChuChu

Don't worry about the suit, you get one of those complimentary on completing your stay in Japanese prison.

Should have kept with goon tradition and got a tattoo of a panther.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

We're talking about Yakuza, not Sekiro.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I said come in! posted:

Oh, I thought the goon tradition was a tattoo of a blue winged dragon?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crafty posted:

Much difference at 120fps? I saw that LG CX55 is on sale for £999 with a 1 year warranty and I am tempted even tho I have a perfectly good 4K TV already. I am already half talking myself out of it

I own an LG OLED tv - I can definitely tell the difference with 4K, OLED to me looks better than other screens, HDR makes a noticeable difference, 60 FPS from 30FPS is like night and day

I am not being a dick about this but I genuinely cannot tell the difference of 120 to 60 FPS.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I own an LG OLED tv - I can definitely tell the difference with 4K, OLED to me looks better than other screens, HDR makes a noticeable difference, 60 FPS from 30FPS is like night and day

I am not being a dick about this but I genuinely cannot tell the difference of 120 to 60 FPS.

Same. I have a 144hz monitor and used to play a lot of stuff at 144fps and although it’s nice, I didn’t at all find it as exciting as others.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Games For Gold next month has a pretty good lineup, I think.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/26/new-games-with-gold-for-may-2021/

Armello - Available May 1 to 31
Dungeons 3 - Available May 16 to June 15
Lego Batman - Available May 1 to 15
Tropico 4 - Available May 16 to 31

Tropico 4 is the best Tropico, really fun game.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 26, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm pretty hyped for this, I loved the first game but never got around to buying the second.

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1386667184303312902

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's really good. The combat got boring for me so I never finished the story (which is really long) but building stuff was fun as hell

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The final chapter is amazing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good lord some of the ui aspects of The Show are incredibly bad. Why do they have a whole separate section for packs instead of just allowing you to claim poo poo directly from the rewards track? And there were no tooltips to explain this I just had to navigate about like five different superfluous menus to find where my rewards could be found.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

elf help book posted:

You should start with Yakuza 0

I actually have it installed I just haven't launched it yet lol

Doctor Nutt posted:

Good lord some of the ui aspects of The Show are incredibly bad. Why do they have a whole separate section for packs instead of just allowing you to claim poo poo directly from the rewards track? And there were no tooltips to explain this I just had to navigate about like five different superfluous menus to find where my rewards could be found.

it's an incredibly massive backwards step from last year's game too. I genuinely believe SDS kneecapped a lot of its poo poo just so Sony fanboys have a little extra ammunition for blaming Xbox players out of spite

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Doctor Nutt posted:

It's really baffling. The UI is hard to navigate and super plain, looks like a beta. Coming from Fifa 21 to that is shocking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The thing I find truly perplexing is just how aggressively difficult it is for new players. Like how there's some symbols that are clear like the snowflakes or flames for players on hot and cold streaks, but then there's a handful of other symbols and you can't just hover over then for an explanation so I have no clue what they mean. How does a triple a, in house major first party game like this have such loving issues with basic accessibility?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a sports game just blow it off

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Its a sports game just blow it off

The actual gameplay is incredibly good and playing RTTS is fun in a "just one more game" sort of way that scratches the same itch as "just one more turn" in Civ games for me. It's just that the more I am playing the more I keep butting up against glaring flaws that pull me out of it. UI isn't the only issue here but it is certainly one of the biggest.

E: Like maybe don't have the manager demand I steal bases when I have a sub 40 speed and there's already two outs???

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 26, 2021

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Aw man I already own Tropico 4. Glad more people will get to play it though, it’s fun. I’m down to try Lego Batman too, never played a Lego game before.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/26/knockout-city-will-launch-with-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-ea-play/

Excited for knockout City to be on gamepass, will buy on switch if they have cross-progression.

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty hyped for this, I loved the first game but never got around to buying the second.

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1386667184303312902

gently caress, getting this.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

Games For Gold next month has a pretty good lineup, I think.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/26/new-games-with-gold-for-may-2021/

Armello - Available May 1 to 31
Dungeons 3 - Available May 16 to June 15
Lego Batman - Available May 1 to 15
Tropico 4 - Available May 16 to 31

Tropico 4 is the best Tropico, really fun game.

God drat it of course after I finally broke down and bought Lego Batman for full price digital a couple months back and it goes free. Ah well.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
knockout city looks cool, thanks xbox

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

joylessdivision posted:

God drat it of course after I finally broke down and bought Lego Batman for full price digital a couple months back and it goes free. Ah well.

There's also currently (or was?) a huge sale on Lego titles. :rip:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
More minor criticism of The Show for anyone who cares: they clearly put a lot of time into pushing the whole RTTS baseball rpg narrative of the 2 way player but then made approximately zero effort for how the color commentary goes during games to reflect it. Like when I'm playing as a starting pitcher and my guy is all of a sudden batting 9th in the order despite having the highest batting avg on my team and all the color commentary refers to the pitcher being an easy out etc

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

teagone posted:

The only other FF I have any real interest in playing thru is FFX since that's the only other one I watched my cousin play back when it first came out. I'll probably grab the FFX/X-2 HD Remaster for Xbox after I finish FFVII.

FF7-9 are all really good. They’re throwbacks, but if you like 7, there’s a good chance you’ll like the other PS1 Final Fantasies as well. 8 is my favorite, but I’ll be the first to admit that it is an odd bird.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The thing to remember with OLED is that 30fps looks like juddery mess because the pixels react instantly as opposed to LCDs which dont.

the difference between 30/60 is way more obvious on an OLED and, outside of game mode, they need some amount of motion smoothing/interpolation to look normal.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FPS above 60 is pretty subtle unless you spend a lot of time on a 120hz + screen for a long time and then you go back to a 60hz one, then you notice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I noticed it straight away when I used 120fps stuff. The input was so much more responsive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blue Raider posted:

FF7-9 are all really good. They’re throwbacks, but if you like 7, there’s a good chance you’ll like the other PS1 Final Fantasies as well. 8 is my favorite, but I’ll be the first to admit that it is an odd bird.

Played another hour-ish of FF7 today, the charm is resilient and hasn't let up so far. Fun game! Still trying to figure out the materia system with what little materia I have. As an aside, having watched an FF7 Remake stream playthrough from start to finish last year, it's kind of crazy to me how fast I feel like the original game moves along the story in comparison lol. The bit where Tifa is on her way to Don Corneo/Wall Market in the Remake did not happen as fast as it does in the original it feels like lol. I was like, "drat, I'm already at this point in Remake's story?" I also realize Remake is only a chunk of the original story, but still, being able to have a frame of reference to compare to is fun and interesting.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

There's also currently (or was?) a huge sale on Lego titles. :rip:

Yeah I already have most of the ones on sale either from previous sales or when they were gwg freebies. I love me some Lego games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah I already have most of the ones on sale either from previous sales or when they were gwg freebies. I love me some Lego games.

A bunch of them have been freebies on the Epic store as well, I'm pretty sure.