Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fuckin 90's boy band al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Bloop posted:

look at the back of his head. unless he is literally an alien, that's his real hair stuffed into a bald cap

You're just jealous that you will never look as good as a man who became famous for polka parody songs.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ubachung posted:

That doesn't look like a bald cap to me.

I'd imagine it's straightened (or at least un-permed) & wet down to fit. Check out Weird Al's head bulge :eyepop:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Killer robot posted:

The world is not ready for NormAl.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

You're just jealous that you will never look as good as a man who became famous for polka parody songs.

I definitely never will, nor be as talented or rich but I don't begrudge him at all because he appears to be a genuine great person

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I definitely never will, nor be as talented or rich but I don't begrudge him at all because he appears to be a genuine great person

the last time i saw weird al mentioned on the forums someone else jumped in to condemn him and then refused to explain why

when i attempted to determine what anyone could possibly have against him the only thing i managed to find was a minor copyright dispute from 10 years ago

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
But... my head looked like that when I shaved it :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And in the sequel, they fight over Penelope Cruz

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’ve watched dumber movies.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

How does Ted Cruz work into the story?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

keelhauled

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Zil posted:

One ship is going to Cancun?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Memento posted:

Ahh, here it is

:jerkbag:

I mean, it's possible he's never touched them but I'd be surprised. I'd actually be interested in the timeframe involved; whether it was within a year like those dead-giveaway actor transformations or over a much more reasonable length of time, but IDK man, those delts say 'AAS' more than they say 'modest'. A lot more people than you'd expect are using at his age (TRT counts), and I wouldn't put it past him. He's no stranger to needles, after all.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Apr 26, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cruise's cruise crews Crews's cruise crews cruise cruise Crews's cruise crews

Niric has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Apr 26, 2021

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Niric posted:

The plot just writes its self

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Speaker posted:

:jerkbag:

I mean, it's possible he's never touched them but I'd be surprised. I'd actually be interested in the timeframe involved; whether it was within a year like those dead-giveaway actor transformations or over a much more reasonable length of time, but IDK man, those shoulders aren't what I'd call 'modest'. A lot more people than you'd expect are using at his age (TRT counts), and I wouldn't put it past him. He's no stranger to needles, after all.

He was a skinny dude in the early 90s because of heroin. Then in the late 90s he looked actually pretty decent, regular fit guy who took care of himself. Then he took three years off, twice, and came back well muscled both times. Three years of eating right and training and (probably more importantly) getting professional, expensive nutrition and dieting advice could get basically anyone to where he was.

Clearly Tom Hardy and Kumail Nanjiani took the easy way, but people like Trent Reznor and Rob McElhenney (who looked insanely good after he did the Fit Mac transformation) I think you can give the benefit of the doubt. Taking the time and paying for the professional help goes a long way.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

cock hero flux posted:

the last time i saw weird al mentioned on the forums someone else jumped in to condemn him and then refused to explain why

when i attempted to determine what anyone could possibly have against him the only thing i managed to find was a minor copyright dispute from 10 years ago

I think the only time outside that copyright dispute that I heard anyone bash Weird Al was during the whole Amish Paradise song like 20+ years ago. Even with that, I'm pretty sure Al & Coolio hashed out whatever misunderstanding they had & are friends now, because honestly, who couldn't or wouldn't be friends with The Weird One?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

Clearly Tom Hardy and Kumail Nanjiani took the easy way, but people like Trent Reznor and Rob McElhenney (who looked insanely good after he did the Fit Mac transformation) I think you can give the benefit of the doubt. Taking the time and paying for the professional help goes a long way.

mcelhenny posted about how even as a wealthy person who had the resources to pay a trainer, work out all day, and whose actual job as an actor it was to get really cut as a joke - it was still a huge amount of work and he never would have gotten that fit if it weren't for the fact that he was wealthy, had plenty of time, and in fact had to get fit as part of his job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPOzOanrNyg&t=75s

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Apr 26, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Memento posted:

He was a skinny dude in the early 90s because of heroin. Then in the late 90s he looked actually pretty decent, regular fit guy who took care of himself. Then he took three years off, twice, and came back well muscled both times. Three years of eating right and training and (probably more importantly) getting professional, expensive nutrition and dieting advice could get basically anyone to where he was.

Calling gear "the easy way" betrays a bit of a misunderstanding of how it works, but OK. Like I said, I'd be interested in the timeframes involved because that's always the biggest tell - but some of the physical cues (namely the shoulders as I mentioned) strongly suggest there's something more going on than just clean eating and a personal trainer. People who don't know how AAS really works often think that when someone says "needles were involved," they're saying "they didn't work hard," and understandably they take that as a knock against their beloved actor/musician/etc. I'm not saying McIlhenney (who absolutely used, he all but admitted it in an AMA or interview somewhere) didn't work as hard as he possibly could, he definitely did that... he also used.

Sorry my joke about your favourite musician's familiarity with drugs didn't land though. Here's a funny picture:

EDIT: gently caress me, I can't believe I didn't say they were "the perfect drug."

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Apr 26, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

All the rich people have hair and muscles wonder what it could be.

There are also plenty of regular rear end dudes walking around with python arms that are not loving possible without crazy amounts of nutrition and lifting and drugs. Celebs just got access to the best of all 3.

Just makes being a lean jacked guy without hitting the juice all that much more impressive :smuggo:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Niric posted:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not saying McIlhenney (who absolutely used, he all but admitted it in an AMA or interview somewhere) didn't work as hard as he possibly could, he definitely did that... he also used.

Yeah he all but admitted that he used in an interview with Stephen Colbert.

It is easier to build muscle with steroids than without though--that is an absolute fact. It is the easy way to build muscle.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
My uneducated understanding is steroids allow you to work harder for longer. I personally would only say it's cheating if it's a competitive sport and not everyone is using. But getting cut like that and keeping it has to just become your new (only)hobby id imagine.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it’s the definition of the easy way. No ones saying it takes zero effort, but it is exponentially easier. It’s the easiest way.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

My uneducated understanding is steroids allow you to work harder for longer. I personally would only say it's cheating if it's a competitive sport and not everyone is using. But getting cut like that and keeping it has to just become your new (only)hobby id imagine.

But honestly who cares? Like you said, acting isn't a competitive sport. Might as well complain that they're using CGI to "cheat" - the general presumption should be that nothing about TV or movies is real in the first place.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Speaker posted:

Calling gear "the easy way" betrays a bit of a misunderstanding of how it works, but OK. Like I said, I'd be interested in the timeframes involved because that's always the biggest tell - but some of the physical cues (namely the shoulders as I mentioned) strongly suggest there's something more going on than just clean eating and a personal trainer. People who don't know how AAS really works often think that when someone says "needles were involved," they're saying "they didn't work hard," and understandably they take that as a knock against their beloved actor/musician/etc. I'm not saying McIlhenney (who absolutely used, he all but admitted it in an AMA or interview somewhere) didn't work as hard as he possibly could, he definitely did that... he also used.

Sorry my joke about your favourite musician's familiarity with drugs didn't land though. Here's a funny picture:

EDIT: gently caress me, I can't believe I didn't say they were "the perfect drug."

I'm not making this any manner of judgement call here, I don't think anyone is a Bad Person for doing PEDs to get a leg up, and especially in Hollywood where actors have insanely unrealistic expectations of what they should look like. My contention was that Reznor had taken long enough off that he could have done it without, and that he has the money to access the help he would need.

I didn't know that about McElhenney, but like I said, no knock on the dude, I just thought he got there without it. I guess six months isn't enough time to look like that naturally.

silence_kit posted:

It is easier to build muscle with steroids than without though--that is an absolute fact. It is the easy way to build muscle.

There's a study I'm trying to find, I'm at work right now and I have it saved on my desktop at home, but it was something like there were four study groups and they tested them all for initial muscle mass and then muscle gained after a certain number of months. The groups gained muscle in the following order, from least to most: no exercise no PEDs, exercise with no PEDs, no exercise with PEDs, and exercise with PEDs. The people who took PEDs and did no exercise gained more muscle than the people who exercised without them. I think it was a German study?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Memento posted:

There's a study I'm trying to find, I'm at work right now and I have it saved on my desktop at home, but it was something like there were four study groups and they tested them all for initial muscle mass and then muscle gained after a certain number of months. The groups gained muscle in the following order, from least to most: no exercise no PEDs, exercise with no PEDs, no exercise with PEDs, and exercise with PEDs. The people who took PEDs and did no exercise gained more muscle than the people who exercised without them. I think it was a German study?

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101

Out of context, Figure 1 in link above suggests that doing steroids and not exercising is more effective at building muscle than following an exercise plan.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

If you can think of a better way to mark the 700th anniversary of Dante Alighieri's death I'd like to hear it. :colbert:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Memento posted:

Nanjiani, at least, says "I would not have been able to do this if I didn’t have a full year with the best trainers and nutritionists paid for by the biggest studio in the world." This is not to say that he didn't take PEDs, and it's hard to judge without progress photos, but he at least credits taking the time and paying for the professional help.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Killer robot posted:

The world is not ready for Normal Al.
The world? Maybe not.

My back walls? OH YEAH

😏
👉👉

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Right, it is the 'easiest' way in the sense that it helps you get there faster, I'd say "the faster way " is more appropriate, but... semantics. As someone said a reply or two ago, the primary effect of AAS is to allow you to go harder for longer (also recover much faster). People who aren't using literally cannot work as hard as those who are - and if they could, but they'd actually be hindering any progress. But if someone who is on gear is appropriately adjusting their output, it doesn't make any of the gym time, or forced eating, any easier. Again, semantics.

Memento posted:

My contention was that Reznor had taken long enough off that he could have done it without, and that he has the money to access the help he would need.

I agree with this for sure, my only contention is that there are certainly some physical cues that tend to strongly suggest involvement of AAS - of course all of them are endlessly debated among fitness groups. One thing a lot of people seem to agree on is the presence of gigantic, 'capped'-looking shoulders that just never get as full-looking without gear. Even most NBA players don't have cannonballs like that. Something about the trapezius and deltoid muscles having a high number of androgen receptors or something - they respond extremely well to supraphysiological levels of testosterone. I'm no expert but on an anecdotal level, there is absolutely a massive difference.

The topic of AAS use among celebs is a perfect storm of 'he said she said' and speculation that obviously I'm guilty of. It also doesn't help that despite a century of research, hormone therapy is still so taboo that almost nobody openly talks about it, especially in fields rife with unrealistic, unattainable body image as you said. To my mind, there are just too many factors; age, timeframe, then the more nebulous physical cues, that add up and make me think "oh man I wonder what this guy's on," often.

You've got me interested in reading about that study again; obviously there's bias implicit in bodybuilding communities but I'm sure I've heard a few people assert that it's been debunked.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Apr 27, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, it is the 'easiest' way in the sense that it helps you get there faster, I'd say "the faster way " is more appropriate, but... semantics. As someone said a reply or two ago, the primary effect of AAS is to allow you to go harder for longer (also recover much faster). People who aren't using literally cannot work as hard as those who are - and if they could, but they'd actually be hindering any progress. But if someone who is on gear is appropriately adjusting their output, it doesn't make any of the gym time, or forced eating, any easier. Again, semantics.

It’s the “easier way”, because there is literally no easier way to gain muscle possible. In terms of effort or time. Or any other factor. There is absolutely no easier way to gain muscle than doing steroids.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Why does anyone care about how actors get ready for a role? Actors represent fiction on film. Just about everything in movies and TV is done to create a specific effect on the screen, and their bodies are part of that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weird Al is a smokeshow with or without steroids

Wait what were we talking about

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm a bald Weird Al truther now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But honestly who cares? Like you said, acting isn't a competitive sport. Might as well complain that they're using CGI to "cheat" - the general presumption should be that nothing about TV or movies is real in the first place.

Exactly! If your livelyhood is dependent on being physically marketable then gently caress yeah do everything you can to make it as easy as possible on yourself.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why does anyone care about how actors get ready for a role? Actors represent fiction on film. Just about everything in movies and TV is done to create a specific effect on the screen, and their bodies are part of that.

Realtalk: we like to think that we're purely rational actors and can say "yeah, that's special effects/artificially created/etc." when we watch movies and TV, but the truth is that humans simply aren't wired to be rational actors. This is why horror films, e.g., work on us, and why we get invested in fictional characters even when we know they're fictional. The same thing happens with the human bodies that we see. These bodies are presented to us as Attractive, Desirable - and, in our lizard brains, Attainable. We think, if we just did the right things, we too could have bodies like that. Actors using PEDs to achieve the bodies they feel they need for these roles is similar, frankly, to using Photoshop to modify the bodies of models. These images affect the ideals we have for our own bodies, and if they're not achievable without artificial means, that poisons a lot of minds and causes a lot of disorders as people strive for these goals they literally can't ever reach within the normal bounds of the human body.

If this is not a problem for you, congratulations: you are not a normal human being.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Dude, Ill never own a house, or see the beautiful places in this world , steroid use is like the very bottom of " poo poo to care about"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude, Ill never own a house, or see the beautiful places in this world , steroid use is like the very bottom of " poo poo to care about"

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that "it doesn't affect my life so it doesn't matter" is not a perspective I care to emulate.

e: Anyway, back on topic.

https://i.imgur.com/MFSZNlF.mp4

And a beautiful fish to cleanse your palate:

https://i.imgur.com/hvYWh6y.mp4

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Apr 27, 2021