Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

What about big harley crash bars but like with outrigger wheels so you don't scrape the chrome or even have to lift the bike back up at all to take off again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-qjT9QWEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I have carbonadi carbon/kevlar crash pads on my fz6n. Model specific covers with cutouts for screws for the engine parts that touches the ground the first. Spot the missing screw btw.

Not sure if that company is still around, their webshop looks kinda dead with no stock.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I dunno I think someone (not the rider, of course) could probably still flip that over, or there could be a hurricane or something that blew it upside down. It needs sliders on the little hubcaps and also on the top of the windscreen and sissy bar.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My opinion on people riding trikes is (aside from people who have a disability and use a trike as their main vehicle) is that they should get an actual motorcycle or get a car.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My philosophy is that people should spend their money on whatever they think will make them happy so if they want to look goofy on three wheels then that's fine but also I reserve the right to think it looks stupid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

My philosophy is that people should spend their money on whatever they think will make them happy so if they want to look goofy on three wheels then that's fine but also I reserve the right to think it looks stupid.

:same:

I watched my dad move from a motorcycle to a trike and now into a Jeep Wrangler as he’s aged and I get why he did it, and all three of those vehicles serve a purpose for certain people.

I used to be all gatekeep-y about real bikes and whatnot, but now? Just ride what you like and don’t worry about it

says the guy with the oldwing

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I guess we could all agree that the best solution for tip over worries is a CanAm.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wouldn't say no to a big Canadian road-snowmobile.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I want a CanAm that also functions as a snowmobile and a jetski. A true all-terrain vehicle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You get em going fast enough, snowmobiles function as a jetski

E: I don't know if they can maintain that speed indefinitely though. Wouldn't that be a rude surprise.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Coydog posted:

I guess we could all agree that the best solution for tip over worries is a CanAm.

I test rode one once, I felt like I was more likely to tip over than on a motorcycle. Instead of leaning into turns it wants to make your body lean out of turns.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean you can clearly see buddy there forcing himself to the inside of the turn as the canam bodyrolls to the outside

A car does the exact same thing, it's just that you've got a seat and a seatbelt and doors and poo poo holding you in place

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A car also doesn't lift up the inside wheel and send you into a crazy death wobble if you turn too quickly. They're most similar to quad than anything else handling wise.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
More people here should try a side car. You realise pretty drat quickly why it's almost a dead thing. Inherent different tracking in different acceleration and braking force input. No countersteer, just manhandling the bars. Different speeds you can take left or right turns.

I'd rather have people use canams than try to get their heads around operating a side car.

Don't get me wrong though, below 40 mph on a rutty, muddy and icy road they're a mad bit of fun.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do yall have full coverage on your bikes? Insuring something fully with a market value of ~4k seems a little weird to me, but it's only ~$450 a year so not that bad? And as a new rider seems like a good idea.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I've got the highest liability, and especially the highest uninsured/underinsured I can get, along with a low deductible comprehensive. I don't have collision cause if I gently caress up I've hosed up

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

A car also doesn't lift up the inside wheel and send you into a crazy death wobble if you turn too quickly

Didn't realize that about the canam - when a car lifts one of the inside wheels it's generally still controllable, right?

My point was more "having your body lean towards the outside of the turn" is not a sensation one is likely to be completely unfamiliar with, though it may be startling in the context of "you are sitting on top of a motorcycle-style saddle", is all.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I've got the highest liability, and especially the highest uninsured/underinsured I can get, along with a low deductible comprehensive. I don't have collision cause if I gently caress up I've hosed up

Yeah this but I don’t have collision because it’s hilariously expensive, at least for me. I did a quote a couple months back and it was around 2k/year iirc, which is more expensive than my car which is easily worth 6x as much. Without collision my insurance is sub 500/year.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

This is a good reminder for the uninsured/underinsured. Uninsured driving is pretty rampant here.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Phy posted:

Didn't realize that about the canam - when a car lifts one of the inside wheels it's generally still controllable, right?

My point was more "having your body lean towards the outside of the turn" is not a sensation one is likely to be completely unfamiliar with, though it may be startling in the context of "you are sitting on top of a motorcycle-style saddle", is all.

I think that's more the context my brain was in when riding it, Motorcycle-style saddle and handlebars, and having never ridden a quad. That and the Spyder weighing half as much of a car and you sitting on top of it really enhances the feel. I'm sure if I had more experience riding a Quad I would have better expected it. But that was what left the biggest impression for me while riding it.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I curiously found out the importance of getting underinsured when my friend totaled my 701 into a car. If that car had been more than $10k to replace my coverage wouldn't have covered it. I realized I wouldn't want a me to crash into me so I immediately upped those by an order of magnitude. It's the most expensive part of my policy too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Some states have just laughable minimums.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
In Massachusetts you're legally required to carry collision insurance, but I have full coverage on all of my bikes with added medical payments because motorcycle insurance won't pay your loving medical bills if you're injured. Here, anyway.

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah this but I don’t have collision because it’s hilariously expensive, at least for me. I did a quote a couple months back and it was around 2k/year iirc, which is more expensive than my car which is easily worth 6x as much. Without collision my insurance is sub 500/year.

what the hell my three motorcycles are like $800/year

Strife fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 27, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Yeah cause a car lifting one wheel is basically a sidecar. A car lifting two wheels is a bike.

A canam lifting one wheel becomes a bike where the front wheel is offset in relation to the rear, with totally mismatched square tyres front and rear.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'm on the Peninsula in WA state, and I need some waterproof gloves.

* Full gauntlet or not? Shorter cuff is more comfy to me, but willing to go full if it's important.
* Gore-Tex is still the best, right?
* Should I try to find a unicorn glove that's comfy in the rain and in (mild) summers? Is such a thing possible?
* I'm old so I remember Held being the best, but apparently they suck now. I have liked my Knox Handroids in the past though.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
if money is tight, your winter glove will be fine in the summer. Hands are small extremities out in the wind. They'll very rarely get hot, and if they do, there really aren't any consequences.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

stellers bae posted:

* Full gauntlet or not? Shorter cuff is more comfy to me, but willing to go full if it's important.
* Should I try to find a unicorn glove that's comfy in the rain and in (mild) summers? Is such a thing possible?
* I'm old so I remember Held being the best, but apparently they suck now. I have liked my Knox Handroids in the past though.

- not much point in short waterproof gloves if you actually care about keeping water out imo
- Hipora is also good, I haven't had that leak in anything but the most apocalyptic downpour. So long as it's got some kind of membrane liner it's probably fine
- don't overthink it
- avoid Knox waterproof gloves unless you have incredibly spidery hands. I don't know how they hosed it up but I suspect they do the sizing prior to shoving all the various liners in there, which results in the fingers being impossibly tight.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Alpinestars Patron Goretex gloves rule for warm rain since they are not insulated.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
How do you justify spending 550 € on a top case? I have two options: GIVI and SW Motech. Givi would be about 500 €, SW Motech 550 € for the smallest top case (+ all the mounting hardware). I tried looking for used hardware, but my model year is 2020 so obviously I'm hosed.

I really kind of want one just for the convenience when I know I'll be carrying some stuff around. But 500 + € for that seems VERY steep.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

- not much point in short waterproof gloves if you actually care about keeping water out imo

Depends on the bike, depends on the jacket. Short gauntlets (not actual short gloves that end at the wrist) are easier to fit under your sleeve which is what you want if your jacket has a proper closure and is quite bulky, you're on a relatively upright bike, and are going slowly enough that water dripping down your sleeves into the gloves is a problem. Long gauntlets work better if you've got a slimmer jacket and/or one with just a button closure on the sleeves so the gloves have to go over the jacket, and are likely to be doing higher speeds on a more leaned-over bike and don't want water getting up your sleeves.

FWIW I always prefer jacket-over-gloves for cold-weather gear even if it does mean a bit of water gets in - it's just more comfortable generally with bulky winter jackets and gloves.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

stellers bae posted:

If you don't want water in the glove, get a gauntlet and put it UNDER your jacket sleeve. Gore-Tex is still the best for breathability and warranty, but Hipora will keep you dry. Fort-Nine did a review of various waterproofing membranes, search YouTube. I have a pair of Held Gore-Tex non-insulated gloves I ordered from a retailer in Northern Ireland (thevisorshop.com) that works fine for summers, spring + fall too if you have heated grips. They were no more expensive than buying Held US-market stuff. Where are you hearing they suck now?

SEKCobra posted:

How do you justify spending 550 € on a top case? I have two options: GIVI and SW Motech. Givi would be about 500 €, SW Motech 550 € for the smallest top case (+ all the mounting hardware). I tried looking for used hardware, but my model year is 2020 so obviously I'm hosed.

I really kind of want one just for the convenience when I know I'll be carrying some stuff around. But 500 + € for that seems VERY steep.

Look for Shad, they're a lower-priced line made by Givi. The mounting plates and hardware might even be compatible between the two.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Look for Shad, they're a lower-priced line made by Givi. The mounting plates and hardware might even be compatible between the two.

I didn't know that about Shad! Kappa is a direct replacement for Givi, I even replaced the rusted-out handles on my old Givi sidecases with Kappa part numbers cause the Givi was discontinued

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Looked up SHAD, but it doesn't seem much cheaper.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

You're thinking of Kappa, Shad are a totally different company with incompatible mounting hardware.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeesh. Had my first eye exam in ages and was told that I'll probably need bifocalsprogressives in a couple years, if not now. Any of you ever done that, and how did it affect your vision for riding?

E: also telling the eye doc about how the optometrist office used to be next to an arcade and a pet store had me feeling like, "ok gramps let's get you to bed" a bit

But it's true! That office hasn't moved since the 80s! I played STUN Runner next door! I'm not crazy! You're the one who's crazy!

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 27, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

SHAD sounds like a Kojima faction. Motorcycle luggage is a racket for sure. I have a Givi 46L top box and it is very well made and functional for a plastic box but it is just that...plastic. The mounting plates are also unreasonably priced (~$75). They just don't have any competition.

That said, worth every penny and being able to swap the box between any bike with the mounting plate is :discourse:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean if you want cargo space for cheap, a Puig Maxibox is only £100 for a 90 litre box (50x50x35cm). It just looks like rear end, is all.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

I mean if you want cargo space for cheap, a Puig Maxibox is only £100 for a 90 litre box (50x50x35cm). It just looks like rear end, is all.

Honestly, I'd be fine mounting a pelicase, problem is all the mounting solutions appear to be the expensive part.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Yeesh. Had my first eye exam in ages and was told that I'll probably need bifocalsprogressives in a couple years, if not now. Any of you ever done that, and how did it affect your vision for riding?

E: also telling the eye doc about how the optometrist office used to be next to an arcade and a pet store had me feeling like, "ok gramps let's get you to bed" a bit

But it's true! That office hasn't moved since the 80s! I played STUN Runner next door! I'm not crazy! You're the one who's crazy!

It'll depend on exactly what your prescription is but - unless you're really, really bad - it shouldn't make a difference unless for some reason you actually tilt your whole head down to stare intently at your clocks rather than just glancing down.

The one thing it *may* cause a problem with is your mirrors, and you might have to be that dork who has the mirror stalk extenders to keep the mirrors in the distance vision part of the lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

I read this as "Mailbox" and thought that would look great on a beater.

The Maxibox really does look like garbage pail on its side (aka "rear end").