Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Haven't had much time to paint this weekend but I managed to finish a couple of these soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The theme of this month's painting contest at my LGS was "Big, Bad, Evil Guy" so I made a viking. The new thing I tried with this guy was making a large, fancy base for it out of a wooden plinth and a bunch of xps foam. I didn't have a lot of time to devote to it but it came out decently, even though there's a lot of stuff I could have put more effort into if I had the time.

Anyway, meet Hreðjar the Hairy

I turned it in at the store today and all the staff were super stoked by it. It was such an awesome feeling. Oh and apparently I did win the contest last time, in that they just picked the top quarter of the entries as winners, not like a structured first, second, third etc list. But hey, still did better than expected. Hope to do well again this time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Beefeater1980 posted:

And now I feel terrible. It was really striking!

I took this as a suggestion and punched up the Warhammer's panel lining with a little bright orange. Since the metallic red panels weren't as striking as I'd hoped, I brought back some of the gold to make them shine.

I also finished a little over a lance of Crucis Lancers. Unfortunately I can't paint the rest of the company until Wave 2 hits, but it's nice to know in advance that my colors really work.

BattleMaster

Locust

Marauder

Shadow Hawk

And House Davion's premier totem 'Mech, the very living emblem of the Federated Suns' military prowess: the Valkyrie!

The Valkyrie is a piece of garbage nobody outside of House Davion was stupid enough to use until Hanse Davion tricked Defiance Industries into making it in 3025.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crosspost:
I made a cherub to replace the monopod I lost.
Ended up cutting the sword out of its hand and reshaping the banner a little bit. Then added a computer to its back.

I'm not sure how I'm going to attach this though. I was thinking steel hook in the hand holding some yarn dipped in pva or something for the texture of rope, but I think that might be a bit weak in terms of strength.
Ended up just throwing some wire on it so I could get an idea of a look.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trying to find a good satin varnish for minis

should I just get this?

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Mecha-Varnish-Painting-Accessories/dp/B074TSFT7V/

I have a cheapo airbrush

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My friend and I have been laboring on 3d printing Epic forces in AT scale, and I finally got paint on my centerpiece:

She's got a ways to go, and I'm still waiting on an 80mm base but this is my first time airbrushing stripes and I am not going back.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

moths posted:

3d printing ... waiting on an 80mm base

:confused:

Just print one

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I'm buying non hobby paint a bunch lately. Can anyone point me to a guide on what to grab re soft/hard body acrylics, Gouche etc. I literally have no clue what I'm dealing with

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Trying to find a good satin varnish for minis

should I just get this?

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Mecha-Varnish-Painting-Accessories/dp/B074TSFT7V/

I have a cheapo airbrush

I dunno about the Satin, but I highly recommend the Mecha Matte, so I'd assume the Satin would be good too.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Anyone recommend a solid primer? My buddy swears by Mechanicus Standard Grey, but I mostly just swear when I see a $45 price tag on spray paint. OP is a bit vague, was hoping for some specific direction. Grey preferred, but I see no reason white or black wouldn’t work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I ride bikes all day posted:

Anyone recommend a solid primer? My buddy swears by Mechanicus Standard Grey, but I mostly just swear when I see a $45 price tag on spray paint. OP is a bit vague, was hoping for some specific direction. Grey preferred, but I see no reason white or black wouldn’t work.

I use Rust-oleum 2x ultra-cover primer "flat gray" and it seems to work great on all the GW plastic I've done with it.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

w00tmonger posted:

I'm buying non hobby paint a bunch lately. Can anyone point me to a guide on what to grab re soft/hard body acrylics, Gouche etc. I literally have no clue what I'm dealing with

I like Golden hard body. Plus they offer both a zinc and titanium white so you can cover your transparent and opaque needs. They also have a high flow series which I've been enjoying.
Just be sure to grab various mediums, like thinning, glaze, matte, etc. Vallejo has some very inexpensive bottles.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Badger stynylrez.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Just the basic color scheme, but this is the first one I did so I wanted to post it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Demilich posted:

Badger stynylrez.

It's this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished another couple of 'Mechs tonight.

Commando

Griffin

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Whatever costs less than $5

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just picked up a bottle of Mr Dissolved Putty on the recommendation of this thread and holy poo poo, I didn't know what I was missing. It makes filling cracks and divots a cinch and files down really nicely. I'll never go back to just filling joins and imperfections with green stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Any acrylic primers that come in a big cheap rattlecan are just as good as each other imo. Shake a lot and heat in warm water before use. Poor workmen blame their tools (I know I do).

The only reason to pay more is if you want a specific colour (like the army painter range) as a quick primer and basecoat in one.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I use Rust-oleum 2x ultra-cover primer "flat gray" and it seems to work great on all the GW plastic I've done with it.

Yeah, these. I use black, but I have to imagine their grey/white/whatever is just as good.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

sassassin posted:

Any acrylic primers that come in a big cheap rattlecan are just as good as each other imo. Shake a lot and heat in warm water before use. Poor workmen blame their tools (I know I do).

The only reason to pay more is if you want a specific colour (like the army painter range) as a quick primer and basecoat in one.

This might be true for GW models, but it doesn’t apply to all types of plastic, Reaper Bones are notorious for not being compatible with many primers.

When in doubt, test on some sprue or test figures before committing to expensive models.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Army Painter primers work great on Reaper Bones, at least.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Army Painter primers work great on Reaper Bones, at least.

I used an army painter primer on two reaper bones minis recently and it made them extremely tacky messes :(

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wrr posted:

I used an army painter primer on two reaper bones minis recently and it made them extremely tacky messes :(

I only have that issue if I am over-optimistic about how much painting I am going to do and they sit around with just primer for a while. If its less than a couple days, it works great.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I'm finding the new gray Bones take spray primers pretty well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wrr posted:

Oh, man, that sucks! I believe you, I've just never had an issue with them. The Army Painter sprays were supposed to be just paint + whatever they use to aerosolize it without any of the usual suspects that gently caress with Reaper's PVC. I'll have to stop recommending it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I use vallejo gloss black primer but brush it on because I'm a barbarian.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If you can, please save up and get a cheap airbrush/compressor even if it's only for priming. You will save money in the long run when you consider you'll no longer have to buy cans of primer. Instead I buy one bottle of vallejo primer that lasts me about 6-10 months, and I prime a ton of models. You can do it indoors, you can do it at any temperature/humidity/weather event, and your chance of skunking or messing things up drops to about 0%.

Over the last year or two before I got my airbrush I've spent about $150 just on primer, whether it's GW, AP, Vallejo or cheap rattlecans. That's enough to buy a decent compressor/airbrush combo to get started with.

It also opens up a lot of painting potential. My minis skyrocketed in quality once I got an airbrush. I can go from unprimed to painting in about 5 minutes, all from the comfort of my office. I can add zenithal highlights, finish large area base coats in a few minutes, and utilize my inks and contrast paints to the best of their capabilities.

It is the most invaluable tool I've gotten for painting, and 90% of the time I'm just using it to prime models.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 27, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
These 38mm Conquest minis are big enough, let enough this 8"-ish tall Abomination. Full simple paint job though.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Dang, how many forms does Frieza have

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, man, that sucks! I believe you, I've just never had an issue with them. The Army Painter sprays were supposed to be just paint + whatever they use to aerosolize it without any of the usual suspects that gently caress with Reaper's PVC. I'll have to stop recommending it.

Dienes posted:

I only have that issue if I am over-optimistic about how much painting I am going to do and they sit around with just primer for a while. If its less than a couple days, it works great.

Two of the three minis that I primed had that problem, but I don't think the third one did, mostly because I started painting that one first. Even then I feel like I remember it being tacky almost immediately? I don't really remember. Does the tackiness actually do anything to paint put over it or is it just gross? I wondering if I should buy a new version of the mini. Its the modern version of a mini I painted (poorly) as a kid and I want it to be a gift for my dad, so I really want it to be well done.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wrr posted:

I actually did have an issue with rust-oleum white on the queen of hell mini making it tacky. I'm thinking I'll try matte varnish on it to then paint on top of that? It actually doesn't need to be perfect as I'm going to let my toddler paint it.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

TotalHell posted:

Yeah, these. I use black, but I have to imagine their grey/white/whatever is just as good.

Their grey is solid. The white is ok but you have to have a light touch because it can get gloopy a lot faster than other ones.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Verisimilidude posted:

If you can, please save up and get a cheap airbrush/compressor even if it's only for priming. You will save money in the long run when you consider you'll no longer have to buy cans of primer. Instead I buy one bottle of vallejo primer that lasts me about 6-10 months, and I prime a ton of models. You can do it indoors, you can do it at any temperature/humidity/weather event, and your chance of skunking or messing things up drops to about 0%.

Over the last year or two before I got my airbrush I've spent about $150 just on primer, whether it's GW, AP, Vallejo or cheap rattlecans. That's enough to buy a decent compressor/airbrush combo to get started with.

It also opens up a lot of painting potential. My minis skyrocketed in quality once I got an airbrush. I can go from unprimed to painting in about 5 minutes, all from the comfort of my office. I can add zenithal highlights, finish large area base coats in a few minutes, and utilize my inks and contrast paints to the best of their capabilities.

It is the most invaluable tool I've gotten for painting, and 90% of the time I'm just using it to prime models.

To add to this, get a cheap single action external mix airbrush for priming and basecoats. Harbor Freight sells a kit with a quick change airbrush and 5 or 6 jars that can be hot swapped, and it's like having infinite rattlecans.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The Demilich posted:

I like Golden hard body. Plus they offer both a zinc and titanium white so you can cover your transparent and opaque needs. They also have a high flow series which I've been enjoying.
Just be sure to grab various mediums, like thinning, glaze, matte, etc. Vallejo has some very inexpensive bottles.

Seconding Golden High Flow and Fluid Acrylics. I use those plus high flow mediums and thinners.

Bonus: Golden is a employee owned company!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wrr posted:

Does the tackiness actually do anything to paint put over it or is it just gross?

PVC is hydrophobic, it doesn't absorb water, so if you're in a high humidity area it could be water getting trapped between the primer and the PVC. I'm in a really low humidity area so that could be why I've never seen that happen? It could also be the paint reacting to any leftover release agent is left on the mini, Reaper doesn't clean their minis very carefully so I like to give them all a heavy scrubdown in soapy water before I try painting them.

The big concern with Reaper Bones is: some solvents found in some rattlecan primers will break down the PVC and melt it. If that starts happening it pretty much destroys the mini. Army Painter sprays are supposed to be one of the 'safe' brands for PVC because they're not supposed to contain those solvents.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 27, 2021

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What kind of lamp setup do you recommend?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

Seconding Golden High Flow and Fluid Acrylics. I use those plus high flow mediums and thinners.

Bonus: Golden is a employee owned company!

Oh that's awesome. I love Golden's Titanium White. Heavy body acrylic with some flow improver and gloss varnish gives you a white that can be applied smoothly with a brush.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Flavius Aetass posted:

What kind of lamp setup do you recommend?

Can't remember the name, but go get a pair of those articulating Ikea lamps with a good warmth of bulb. 10/10 and cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Tertial, I believe. I have two with Ottlite bulbs installed and they light up every fuckin thing. I got the bulbs at Joann's with a 40% discount, ymmv.