Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Plumbers that are working on redoing my waste plumbing managed to knock off and shatter a light fixture globe and also put a hole in a wall they had access to the back of. Kind of pissed since I'm paying "gently caress you" prices.

They ran out of pipe and are calling it a day and I'm without any toilets, sinks, or showers until sometime tomorrow. Not to mention a giant hole under my house and where pipes should be. So I'm going to shore that up before any cats, rodents, or pests find their way into my home tonight.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

Because wood is too expensive to buy I decided to buy a bunch of lights and mud and paint to redo a room instead of building the new barn. I'm in the final stretch after about a month. 2 hours of taping (90 yards of tape) and 2.5 hours of cutting in today. At least painting the field should be easy.

Wet bar? That's a great location for it, I'm jealous

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tater_salad posted:

Someone unplugged the telescope? Gunna need a real long hanger or something to reach the cord now I'm sure.

:golfclap:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My plumbers left for the day and pretty much just packed their tools up and left, leaving me with a huge gaping hole leading directly under my house for any cat, rodent, bug, or adventurous hobo to enter. So I covered it up as best I can before the sun goes down. I pretty much jammed a series of planks, cardboard boxes, and towels around it. I also put bags over both the cleanouts and the exposed pipe inside so that a torrent of cockroaches doesn't invade my home from the main sewer line.

Here you can see where they excavated like 2-3 feet of dirt and piled it up onto and a little over the floor joists, which is probably not great for them, but maybe just for a day isn't a big deal.

I'm super concerned about them undermining my foundation though. My soil is very sandy and doesn't seem like it's that great for holding up a huge load without a lot of horizontal support. The saving grace is that there are large and at pretty deep concrete piers that are directly under the main joists and go deeper than they dug. I think those are probably doing the majority of the lifting at this point. I'm debating crawling under there with a piece of 4x4 and a bottle jack and supporting it a little more.

How big of a discount off of an $8,000 bill should I demand for them leaving me overnight without any water or sewer without warning?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 27, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*selects pick-up*

*Lee Carvallo putting challenge voice* you have selected, home delivery

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Wet bar? That's a great location for it, I'm jealous

Thanks and yeah, wet bar opening to the patio via two sliders. This place is set up for entertaining and we're getting ready to do that again when everybody's got jabs in arms.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Motronic posted:

Thanks and yeah, wet bar opening to the patio via two sliders. This place is set up for entertaining and we're getting ready to do that again when everybody's got jabs in arms.

What lights are those in the ceiling? I need to install a few and the only thing holding me back is not wanting to get something garbage.

EDIT: That, and figuring out how to deal with the strapping and joists behind the holes I wanted to reuse.

mcgreenvegtables fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 27, 2021

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mcgreenvegtables posted:

What lights are those in the ceiling? I need to install a few and the only thing holding me back is not wanting to get something garbage.

EDIT: That, and figuring out how to deal with the strapping and joists behind the holes I wanted to reuse.

pancake box

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

yeah, that's what was in there holding up the weird pendant lights I took down. Was hoping to somehow get led "cans" in here without too much work. Worst case I patch in these holes and relocate a bit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I replaced 2 6" cans and two useless pendants over the bar with 10 Lotus LRG2s. 2" recessed gimbal LEDs. They got a bunch of sizes if you want to reuse the holes you've got.

I can't tell how much depth you have to that joist, so a recesses or recessed gimbal may not work, but they have some that are as thin as 1/2" IIRC....literally trough them into drywall directly under a joist.

I used this because I had overhead space:

https://www.lotusledlights.com/recessed-lighting/gimbal/2-inch-regressed-gimbal-led-recessed-lighting

You may be looking for something more like this:

https://www.lotusledlights.com/recessed-lighting/4-inch/11w-economy-recessed-led-lighting-fixture-round-super-thin

I had no interest in reusing the old poo poo in here so there was a lot of patching going on:

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Thanks, that stuff looks good.

How stupid would I be to cut out the strapping behind these holes? That would let me get the driver box in the ceiling. There are actually joists on the edge of each hole, so the strapping would be well supported on the outside of each hole, and between them I imagine nailed to another joist and screwed into the drywall hopefully in a few places.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Thanks, that stuff looks good.

How stupid would I be to cut out the strapping behind these holes? That would let me get the driver box in the ceiling. There are actually joists on the edge of each hole, so the strapping would be well supported on the outside of each hole, and between them I imagine nailed to another joist and screwed into the drywall hopefully in a few places.

If this is "regular" joist strapping where they're perpendicular to the joists and what you attach the drywall to it's probably fine to cut through, but don't take my word for that because I can't really tell what you have going on.

I don't see joist strapping much around here unless it's over engineered trusses that have too great of a span between each to keep drywall from sagging. (I'm also not a big engineered truss fan so I'm not up on the latest there either).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

How big of a discount off of an $8,000 bill should I demand for them leaving me overnight without any water or sewer without warning?

You will likely get a $0 discount and a smug "We never promised in writing it would be done in a day." But I would demand perfection from them. If anything looks at all off do not pay the whole bill until it's done, inspected, etc. 25% holdback on punchlist isn't crazy town.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

man these expenses are really adding up

retiling the bathroom - it's a very small bathroom, only needs 48 SF of tile, first person said he would charge by the hour (lol), and then estimated 2400 for labor

second person quoted me 1300 flat for all the labor, so yeah I'll go with that one

but then I'm like, okay might as well replace the 15 year old two piece toilet with a one piece from Toto

hmmm.. I guess those Eames chairs will have to wait

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

update since I think a couple people asked, I had a painter come by and use the tool that you put up to the surface to find the closest match. It worked really well! The top candidate is virtually indistinguishable - you would only really notice if you were really looking at and and had pretty bright light on it. Some of that might just be that it's satin, and while the original wall paint was satin, the painter thought it had faded to more of a flat appearance. The home depot doesn't have flat finishes for their $5 sample jars though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

What's a good thermostat? I don't want it to connect to the internet, but it'd be nice if it was "smart" in the aspect of letting me program things more complicated than daytime/nighttime temps. Also, if I have a thermostat already and am comfortable with low voltage and 110 wiring, how hard is it to install myself?

e: honestly, WiFi would be fine, maybe nice, as long as I could silo it off from the network and not have it connect to the internet proper.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Honeywell T87.

More serious answer: I think want you want is a plain old programmable thermostat, rather than a "smart" thermostat. My parents have had the same one (a Honeywell one, I think) since the mid-90's and it still works and suits their needs. I would imagine that computing power and interfaces have improved since then. Hard part would be avoiding the internet-connected garbage.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

more falafel please posted:

What's a good thermostat? I don't want it to connect to the internet, but it'd be nice if it was "smart" in the aspect of letting me program things more complicated than daytime/nighttime temps. Also, if I have a thermostat already and am comfortable with low voltage and 110 wiring, how hard is it to install myself?

e: honestly, WiFi would be fine, maybe nice, as long as I could silo it off from the network and not have it connect to the internet proper.

As already said, you might just want a programable t-stat. They'll let you have different setpoints through each day of the week, which is about all you need if you aren't trying to squeeze savings or do stuff remotely.

Installing a thermostat when you don't make other changes is usually paint-by-numbers easy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen a wifi thermostat that doesn't also depend on the cloud in some way. I have a Honeywell Lyric at my old house and without an internet connection, it can't even follow a loving schedule. Also, the Honeywell Lyric app is poo poo and horrible to use and has randomly just broken for no reason for months at a time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ecobee stuff uses :yaycloud: but it can be accessed over local intranet so if the internet goes down it still follows a schedule and can even be controlled remotely on the same network.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

The ecobee stuff uses :yaycloud: but it can be accessed over local intranet so if the internet goes down it still follows a schedule and can even be controlled remotely on the same network.

I have/like early ecobees before they integrated Alexa.

They can work blocked from the cloud/internet as well.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Now I'm angry that that beautiful retro round thermostat never came out, whomever mentioned it a few months ago in here. Wish I had never been aware of it now!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

toplitzin posted:

I have/like early ecobees before they integrated Alexa.

They can work blocked from the cloud/internet as well.

You can turn off the Alexa at least. That's what I did. Love my ecobee with sensors because I can have it heat/cool based on the sensor temp and not the thermostat itself. So office during the day, bedroom at night, and living room with the dog if I'm gone.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Queen Victorian posted:

Honeywell T87.

You know poo poo is serious when a product has its own Wikipedia article.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

FISHMANPET posted:

It’s in the Smithsonian Institute!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

update since I think a couple people asked, I had a painter come by and use the tool that you put up to the surface to find the closest match. It worked really well! The top candidate is virtually indistinguishable - you would only really notice if you were really looking at and and had pretty bright light on it. Some of that might just be that it's satin, and while the original wall paint was satin, the painter thought it had faded to more of a flat appearance. The home depot doesn't have flat finishes for their $5 sample jars though.

hmm unfortunate update, it wasn't as good of a match for a few other spots, plus I suck at painting so my brushstrokes are bad. the painter that came buy said he could just paint both sides of the door for $80 so gently caress it

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The secret to door painting without spraying it is using a roller for as much as possible.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm posted:

The secret to door painting without spraying it is using a roller for as much as possible.

yep, I assume that's no issue except for the little 1" recessed area that borders the panels

I hired a painter for my bathroom, he was relatively cheap and it showed. For example he didn't have, or use any mini rollers, so even the 8" tall area between the light fixture and the mirror doesn't have stippling. Having another painter fix that! I have no idea what a reasonable cost for a small bathroom is - on one hand it's small, on the other hand it can be quite annoying getting behind fixtures, above the shower/tub, etc.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 28, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nm posted:

Rollers are king.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

FISHMANPET posted:

Indeed. Products like the T87 are what we study in design school, along with the designers behind them (Henry Dreyfuss in the case of the T87). It's a super well-known and influential design (and ubiquitous - last three houses I've lived in all had/have T87s). The Nest is round and handles the way it does because they wholesale copied the T87.

Now Honeywell needs to copy their own poo poo and make a smart/programmable thermostat that isn't ugly-rear end trash (aka make a T87 with a screen). Until that happens I'm highly tempted to create remote control programmable thermostat functionality for myself with an Arduino contraption that physically manipulates my T87.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Victorian posted:

Now Honeywell needs to copy their own poo poo and make a smart/programmable thermostat that isn't ugly-rear end trash (aka make a T87 with a screen). Until that happens I'm highly tempted to create remote control programmable thermostat functionality for myself with an Arduino contraption that physically manipulates my T87.

They have this, it's what I have at my old house.

Like I said, it sucks.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I like my Honeywell Lyric T5. Easy to program and control on the unit or app and hasn't given me any problems in almost 3 years.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why do all these things need an internet connection again, I've seen "smart"

thermostats
fridges
dishwashers (wtf)
blenders
washers

pretty much anything that can be considered a home appliance

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Wifi thermostats are useful for adjusting and monitoring while out of the house. The “smart” stuff (trying to guess my family schedule based on patterns and phones, etc) is annoying and I just turn it off.

Our condensers used to be right next to our patio so it was convenient to be able to shut them off when we had company and were all outside. I understand doing anything other than a set schedule has an effect on longevity of the components and also you don’t need internet connectivity for this, just wifi. We relocated the condensers as part of a renovation so this won’t be as much of an issue, but it was nice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

why do all these things need an internet connection again, I've seen "smart"

thermostats
fridges
dishwashers (wtf)
blenders
washers

pretty much anything that can be considered a home appliance

dont forget your alexa microwave.

I liked my T9 smart thermostat but now I really don't.
It has geofencing which is nice.. well it would be if I haven't been working from home for a year
It has "adaptive" heating so it knows how long to heat from 58 to 64 or whatever and will start early so it hits that temp at the desired time
It has a great feature where you can set one sensor for it even at specific times/dates. to use (not average like ecobee): I figured cool bedroom at night, upstairs during nights I have my kids.
Except
Geofencing doesn't work all the time, it breaks at times and thinks people are away and then hosue gets cold/hot.
Adaptive heating sucks if you use different sensors because it cranks up the heat in the desired sensor room.. My bedroom is coldest room in house with bad insulation windows and furthest from furnace.. to get it to 68 degrees for daytime the rest of the house will be 72. With the adaptive heat going even though I've selected "main thermostat hits 68 at 630am" when adaptive heat is on it'll read it as "bedroom sensor hits 68 by 630am" .

I'm about ready to go back to the programable one. We'll see what happens as I transition back to the office but at this point it's just a programable thermostat.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

We've used a Nest thermostat in our apartments for the last 6+ years. Both the wifi and internet control are nice, especially when we're traveling. I like being able to program it on my phone because you can just go to whatever time you want to adjust instead of cycling through the whole program. We have an older one, I think a gen 2, and I don't think it has geofencing, or if it does it always worked very poorly so I never used it. It did a pretty good job of learning but there's only two of us and we had pretty predictable schedules.

If you're at home all the time because of a pandemic those utilities become a lot less useful. We moved into our house last October and haven't swapped out the programmable Honeywell brick because I've been too busy/laid up to run a common wire for the Nest. I've only had to mess with it 4 or 5 times since we've lived here, which is pretty good.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The only smart stuff we have are lightbulbs and some outlets for setting timers for growlights and outdoor lighting and our sprinkler controller because we needed a new one anyway and it will read the weather and automatically skip waterings and such. Even then, I don't like having that many "smart" things because companies don't give a poo poo about making anything secure but they're more than happy to sell my data.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I like my ecobee because I can adjust the temperature at night without getting out of bed. All the smart predictive stuff is just annoying, I turned it off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got this: https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH6110D1005-FocusPRO-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000UQ2GCY/

You can program it but I've been too lazy to do so. Turn it down when I got to bed, turn it up when I wake up. No wifi, no bluetooth. Works good, would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Toebone posted:

I like my ecobee because I can adjust the temperature at night without getting out of bed. All the smart predictive stuff is just annoying, I turned it off.

My ecobee got me a $100 credit for enabling "utility remote control" aka "turning it up when its hot."

Jokes on them, it's not on the internet for them to change it.