Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

500 and other big bore pistols are completely viable bear/large animal defense and hunting calibers- having one real use case by someone who owns one doesn't seem that extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bulletsponge13 posted:

500 and other big bore pistols are completely viable bear/large animal defense and hunting calibers- having one real use case by someone who owns one doesn't seem that extreme.

I'm assuming it's this, not for making trips to that awesome restaurant on MLK Dr.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Godholio posted:

I'm assuming it's this, not for making trips to that awesome restaurant on MLK Dr.

I've seen people OC them- which seems to be the most blatant advertisement that you feel deeply sexually inadequate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Cheap rear end holster bunching up against the trigger as you climb the ladder into your gas V8 Ram 3500.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's literally only this, and even then that's rare. I bought it primarily to have fun years ago, and the fact that sometimes it's viable for that specific task is great as a secondary.

And yes, I've seen the videos of the idiots carrying it daily and am immediately reminded why there's so much misinformation and stupidity with firearms.

Godholio posted:

Cheap rear end holster bunching up against the trigger as you climb the ladder into your gas V8 Ram 3500.

The holster is faux leather and was flaking before it even left the packaging, but it's got hook and loop for a punisher patch!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think Pumpkin Homicide is a perfectly good reason to own a toy like that. I almost bought one for that purpose, but thankfully when I went in, it was sold, and instead I grabbed a Marlin Guide Gun.

Which I never loving shoot.

I also own a Weatherby 375 H&H that I've never fired, but it was 200$, and I've always wanted a gently caress off gun like that

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bulletsponge13 posted:

I also own a Weatherby 375 H&H that I've never fired, but it was 200$, and I've always wanted a gently caress off gun like that

:hmmyes:

I have a similar irrational desire for an Ithaca 10ga.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think Pumpkin Homicide is a perfectly good reason to own a toy like that. I almost bought one for that purpose, but thankfully when I went in, it was sold, and instead I grabbed a Marlin Guide Gun.

Which I never loving shoot.

This might be a reference to this, and I'm the dumb one, but didn't a goon kill 2 people over pumpkinsv

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

He killed people because he was broken and trying to be a mass shooter to defend his pumpkins. But shooting pumpkins with a big rear end round cuz I think what that person is referring to. Because shooting any kind of a melon or gourd with big fat slow dumb pistol rounds causes them to explode awesomely

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
forbiddenforum

And they were puckins.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

This might be a reference to this, and I'm the dumb one, but didn't a goon kill 2 people over pumpkinsv

No, he killed them because of mental illness and personal grudges.

Shooting pumpkins is awesome fun. I remember stopping by an Amish roadside stand selling pumpkins late in the season shortly after getting my replica 1895 trench gun.

"How much to fill my trunk?"
"Does 40$ sound fair?"
"Absolutely."

Spending the next couple hours blasting away at pumpkins with an M1 carbine, my trench gun, and various other dumb poo poo. It ruled.

And letting people slam fire a tube of bird shot at a rank of pumpkins was a joy I can't replicate.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've seen people OC them- which seems to be the most blatant advertisement that you feel deeply sexually inadequate.

At first I misinterpreted this as "Original Character", and thought you meant you've seen people write horrible fanfic where they marry their anthropomorphised gun-waifus.

Which is kind of the same endpoint by a different route, really.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 27, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

At first I misinterpreted this as "Original Character", and thought you meant you've seen people write horrible fanfic where they marry their anthropomorphised gun-waifus.

Which is kind of the same endpoint by a different route, really.

I'm not going to look for it, but I've sort enough time on this lovely marble to know that exists.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm not going to look for it, but I've sort enough time on this lovely marble to know that exists.

Oh, without a doubt.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I also have a .500 and it’s really fun to shoot. It requires a certain technique to avoid totally rocking you that is kinda counter-intuitive: thumbs-over-hand grip, lock your wrists, but generally relax your arms and let the recoil roll with your elbows. Basically you don’t try to fight it and just let the natural weight of your bent arms bring it back down. The people you see getting hit in the head have either a very loose grip, or are locking their arms.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My most fun one is a WW II Philippino handmade resistance pistol. Looks like a .45, but it's a break open and takes a 20 gauge shell. More of "gun you use to get a real gun". Why, no, I've never fired it - I enjoy having two hands.

Dad had a .38 deagle given by the Isrealis, in addition to his old service .45 and 9 mm. Sadly, my dick of a brother snagged them all when dad started declining from Alzheimer's, and never said anything until we had to search for them for Dad's safety. Fucker.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

canyoneer posted:

They also have a tendency to squeeze out a surprise second round via the effect of recoil and having your finger on the trigger in just the right way.
When I let someone fire one of my heavy recoiling revolvers I only load every other chamber for them for the first go, specifically so they don't accidentally send a second round into the ceiling or over the backstop.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

When I let someone fire one of my heavy recoiling revolvers I only load every other chamber for them for the first go, specifically so they don't accidentally send a second round into the ceiling or over the backstop.

I do this with any gun and a new shooter. I also teach them to drop the gun if something weird happens (Brass Dance!). Too many people are concerned with what they saw in movies- dropped guns go FA!- and then end up flagging all to hell.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

canyoneer posted:

They also have a tendency to squeeze out a surprise second round via the effect of recoil and having your finger on the trigger in just the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4OE78spknk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHvoXvHnwzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5FBPKz9rNI

Indoor range ceilings beware.

Did that at a range some friends and I were at, once. Complete with bits of the drop ceiling raining down like idiot-confetti.

Collateral Damage posted:

Seconding this; trust me, I'm an idiot

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The range I went to wouldn’t let anyone load more than one round in it for that reason lol

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah for newbies I don't "teach" much except the Three Rules and the instructions to just put the gun on the table if there is anything they don't like -- reasons have ranged from brass dances, malfunctions, or just not liking the sound.

Now I just reiterate putting the gun down so I can handle the issue on at least the first few mags.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Perennial lol that I knew and bought guns from this dude as a younger man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKyhilGZWA

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wasabi the J posted:

Perennial lol that I knew and bought guns from this dude as a younger man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKyhilGZWA

We've all liberated things from idiots, you did a good thing

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The level of ego required to try to play that off is unbelievable, it’s almost admirable. Zero hesitation.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Why the gently caress was it already loaded?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

Stupid people.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah for newbies I don't "teach" much except the Three Rules and the instructions to just put the gun on the table if there is anything they don't like -- reasons have ranged from brass dances, malfunctions, or just not liking the sound.

Now I just reiterate putting the gun down so I can handle the issue on at least the first few mags.

Someone in TFR (The Rat?) said when shooting with guests they go over first aid immediate actions to drive the point home. I've hip pocketed that tidbit for personal use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember the hot take that went “if you’ve never had an unintended discharge, you are afraid of guns and will not be ready to use one in a crisis”?

Good times.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Guest2553 posted:

Someone in TFR (The Rat?) said when shooting with guests they go over first aid immediate actions to drive the point home. I've hip pocketed that tidbit for personal use.

lay out a few tampons and rubbing alcohol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I let first time shooters actually shoot, I only worry about safety- they are safe, rounds are impacting safely, all that kinda poo poo. I don't harp on fundamentals or any of that- basically, just let them understand and feel the mechanics. I watched way too many people have problems shooting in the Army because they weren't familiar with actually firing the god drat thing, and everytime the gun did it's job and worked through its operations, it scared the gently caress out of the kid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The level of ego required to try to play that off is unbelievable, it’s almost admirable. Zero hesitation.

He is that full of it 100% of the time.

As a new army guy I got taken in by a lot of charismatic idiots because I believed time served = experience. He was one of the more entertaining talkers, and did time in the corps before or paths crossed, bit as time went on, some personal things really seemed to morph him from atheist internet libertarian to petite Christian dominionist.

bulletsponge13 posted:

It was a tourist trap gun shop in Las Vegas back before the ranges became themed around GWOT Patriot cosplay "experiences".

It's one of those ones with the clapped out full autos to rent, a wall of overpriced guns and the finest Tapco accessories for sale in a case.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

bulletsponge13 posted:

When I let first time shooters actually shoot, I only worry about safety- they are safe, rounds are impacting safely, all that kinda poo poo. I don't harp on fundamentals or any of that- basically, just let them understand and feel the mechanics. I watched way too many people have problems shooting in the Army because they weren't familiar with actually firing the god drat thing, and everytime the gun did it's job and worked through its operations, it scared the gently caress out of the kid.

When I joined the AF I had never shot a pistol in my whole life and of course, the AF familiarization training I had was terrible - no one really helping you (other than a guy walking around), no time to really feel things out, too structured, and of course you only did it once a year or whatever. Fortunately someone in my shop was a gun nerd and we ended up going to a range a few times just to practice. I found it immensely helpful in just getting comfortable handling a pistol.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Platystemon posted:

Remember the hot take that went “if you’ve never had an unintended discharge, you are afraid of guns and will not be ready to use one in a crisis”?

Good times.

Pretty sure that was a parody

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
You have a much more optimistic opinion of the gun enthusiast world than I

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, that was 100% sincere. Not at all a parody.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Big James Yeager energy

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Xakura posted:

Pretty sure that was a parody

Yeah no there is a large part of the gun community that believes that if you've never had a ad/nd youre more dangerous to everyone by having a gun because you're not loving with it enough

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You’re not a real electrician unless you do all your wiring without gloves

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You’re not safe at sea until you’ve sank a ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Vengarr posted:

You’re not a real electrician unless you do all your wiring without gloves

More like "Unless you've been the cause of a few electrical fires".