Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

How so? Was there not a mass clearence of homeless people just a few short days ago?

I'd love to hear more, most of what I have is just the occasional article.

it's not the forum's burden to educate you on a subject you don't know about - and it's not surprising you don't know about it, because you aren't from california or even from the us, and that's ok - but if you don't know much about newsom beyond what you've read and this read or what gets boosted on twitter, you don't necessarily have to offer your opinion on it. like, the fact that you're surprised that the recall effort is solely because of republicans being angry that the state has any covid restriction says a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feldegast42 posted:

Why in particular is their a recall petition against Newsom? I mean beyond just the chuds. I'm sure he's probably a pretty meh at best establishment governor but I don't get why hes pissed off so many people

It's a way to try to sneak a republican governor in. They can't win legitimately so hope to use a lower turnout, confusing election to get rid of the Dem and get their own in.

It's stupid that CA even still allows this. Hopefully, after this fails, they finally get the laws changed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

xcheopis posted:

Are you blaming the governor for the actions of a local community?

This is not meant at you but is aimed at a wider question, so I do apologise for using your comment as a springboard as it were.

At what level of closeness does a politician have to be before they are responsible for things? Does it have to be a direct order, or can it simply be by creating an expectation?

One of the things I never quite "get" is how granular every level of politics is and how defuse responsibility is, whilst still appearing to invest people with a great deal of power.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

This is not meant at you but is aimed at a wider question, so I do apologise for using your comment as a springboard as it were.

At what level of closeness does a politician have to be before they are responsible for things? Does it have to be a direct order, or can it simply be by creating an expectation?

One of the things I never quite "get" is how granular every level of politics is and how defuse responsibility is, whilst still appearing to invest people with a great deal of power.

in the us how much authority a governor has can very widely, but in general in terms of state politics your day-to-day life (and the conditions of those around you) are far more influenced by local, not state-level, politicians. when you're talking about housing in particular your city and county (which are generally in charge of planning, zoning and property taxes) are going to be far more important than the state.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

You could try reading up on these things yourself instead of pontificating on a subject about which you know nothing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I've noticed that when folks are asked to head over to a thread with specialized knowledge they tend to not to.

Josef bugman posted:

How so? Was there not a mass clearence of homeless people just a few short days ago?

I'd love to hear more, most of what I have is just the occasional article.

The Echo Park incident is on Garcetti, not Gavin.

Garcetti is the one that has police beat familiies for protesting outside his house.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Josef bugman posted:

California has 4/5 the population of England and the state's budget is 1/5 the budget of England, there's no other way of organizing a state of that size without dozens of layers of delegation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Thank you!

I prefer asking people. You can't ask extra questions of a book after all, but thank you.

Thank you very much indeed! Will be going along.

Oh no I was more meaning in general, but thank you!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Thank you!

I prefer asking people. You can't ask extra questions of a book after all, but thank you.

Thank you very much indeed! Will be going along.

Oh no I was more meaning in general, but thank you!

There's asking people, and then speaking from perceived authority about a situation you clearly have a base level Twitter hot take knowledge on.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

You weren't asking. You were declaring.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gatts posted:

Be on the look out for these two.

A true millennial hero.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The clip makes my blood boil but Tucker Carlson tonight urged his followers to harass anyone they see wearing a mask outside and if they see a child wearing a mask to call the police the same as if you saw a child being beaten.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ZachMontellaro/status/1386849789023821831

NRAF seems to be a joint effort of OFA and Holder's NDRC. I'm curious to see if any of these efforts will work!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm sorry, is this implying that the average american is eating over 500 lb of beef a year or over 1.37 lbs of beef a day? that can't be possible, i refuse to believe it

edit: okay, quick googling shows that some wires getting crossed somewhere. no way does a 90% reduction leave us at 50 lbs a year, based on who you're asking it's somewhere in the range of 5-9 lbs a year

Space Gopher posted:

No, the article says that in 2016 average American meat/poultry consumption was 133 pounds per person. Scenario 4 (90% reduction in red meat, 50% reduction in other animal proteins including chicken, pork, dairy, eggs, etc) leaves Americans eating about 50 pounds of total meat per year.

A couple pages back, but I wanted to cop to this - yes, I misread the report. Space Gopher is correct.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The clip makes my blood boil but Tucker Carlson tonight urged his followers to harass anyone they see wearing a mask outside and if they see a child wearing a mask to call the police the same as if you saw a child being beaten.

That's new, usually conservatives like it when children are beaten.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

I have serious doubts we’ll reach the per capita number of deaths we saw during the 1918 pandemic, but this is the kind of thing that makes me think it’s still possible.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tucker Carlson has gone full on nihilist supervillain since the Chauvin verdict: i think he is legit having a break with reality. his entire worldview shattered so might as well say "gently caress it" and let the world burn

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

generic one posted:

I have serious doubts we’ll reach the per capita number of deaths we saw during the 1918 pandemic, but this is the kind of thing that makes me think it’s still possible.
You'll see it in India as Modi continues to Trump, don't you worry

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ReidRansom posted:

uh, here are some dogs my brother found dumped on the highway yesterday. If you live in central-ish Texas and want two dogs (they should stay together, we think), PM me for deets

The light one is a puppy. The darker one may be its mother. Unsure.

Way back from page 2, but in case it helps, we totally have a thread for animal rescue/fostering: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Carlson's rant was literally just: "Science says that outdoor infections when people are standing more than 6 feet apart are very rare. So, you don't need a mask outside because it takes the risk of infection from 1.5% to 1%. If anyone is wearing a mask outside, then they either don't know the science or they are training people to be slaves to the state. Masks on children outside are preparing a generation to be slaves to the state, so you should rip it off of them or call the police to report child abuse, because they are making an already small chance of infection slightly smaller at the cost of a generation of freedom."

He doesn't really address the fact that you have to get closer than 6 feet to rip the mask off (or that it is assault), but I guess he just assumes that you will only be close to them for a second.

:psyduck:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 27, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Maybe this is what finally gets him off the air.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who listens to a monologue like that without having "are we the baddies" drift through their brain, even fleetingly

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Who listens to a monologue like that without having "are we the baddies" drift through their brain, even fleetingly

The problem is he and a good portion of his audience know full well they are the Baddies: they just don't care because they are better than everyone else, and they deserve to treat the rest of us like poo poo

Tucker is a big hit among actual White Supremacist groups

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
"Of course first you'll have to stop being a loving coward, and the fact that you're watching me means welp you're poo poo out of luck, you fat gutless weakling. The only reason you watch this poo poo is because you're too much of a loving frightened worm to do anything else with your life."

You goons are going to read about it in the newspaper if some dumbfuck chud tries to mess with my mask. To say I have a lot of pent-up rage about this poo poo would be putting it oh, oh so mildly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe this is what finally gets him off the air.

Maybe this is what gets Glenn Greenwald to quit going on his show.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Youth Decay posted:

Maybe this is what gets Glenn Greenwald to quit going on his show.

Monkey paw curls and fox hires glenn to replace tucker

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

You'll see it in India as Modi continues to Trump, don't you worry

A figurehead like Trump or Modi may not be necessary. That’s the concern.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JonathonSpectre posted:

You goons are going to read about it in the newspaper if some dumbfuck chud tries to mess with my mask. To say I have a lot of pent-up rage about this poo poo would be putting it oh, oh so mildly.

Sure, tough guy. We'll also hear about everyone in the store applauding your badassery and the town beauty queen giving you a blowjob right there and then.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Carlson's rant was literally just: "Science says that outdoor infections when people are standing more than 6 feet apart are very rare. So, you don't need a mask outside because it takes the risk of infection from 1.5% to 1%. If anyone is wearing a mask outside, then they either don't know the science or they are training people to be slaves to the state. Masks on children outside are preparing a generation to be slaves to the state, so you should rip it off of them or call the police to report child abuse, because they are making an already small chance of infection slightly smaller at the cost of a generation of freedom."

He doesn't really address the fact that you have to get closer than 6 feet to rip the mask off (or that it is assault), but I guess he just assumes that you will only be close to them for a second.

Wouldn't ripping the mask off of a kid be assault? Among all the other horrible poo poo I mean.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sure, tough guy. We'll also hear about everyone in the store applauding your badassery and the town beauty queen giving you a blowjob right there and then.

drat man, you saw right through me! I'd absolutely just meekly walk away. Nailed it!

I don't watch Tucker Carlson though so maybe not?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Solkanar512 posted:

Wouldn't ripping the mask off of a kid be assault? Among all the other horrible poo poo I mean.

Considering the kid would have a parent nearby who would be in absolutely no mood to just stand there while a stranger walks up and manhandles their kid in front of them, yeah this kind of "advice" is going to result in real live punchfights if anyone acts on it.

Which they won't, he's just filling their heads with fantasies of what they will all do on the Day of the Rope.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes physically assaulting a child counts as assault

Wonder how much vacation time Tucker will need to recover from some moron getting shot

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

In addition to what's been said, homelessness in CA is a hard problem. Even if there were enough empty houses to house the homeless, actually getting those houses to the homeless isn't easy. Vacancy taxes and similar approaches are outlawed by the Costa Hawkins Act. There have been several attempts to repeal this in recent years, once by the legislature and twice via the referendum process, and these have gone down in flames (the two referenda both lost by ~20 points). So if you want to use these empty houses to house homeless people, I think that pretty much just leaves eminent domain, which is wildly expensive, likely very unpopular, and would almost certainly be bogged down in court for years.

That's not to say that the problem is impossible or that it is not worth trying to solve it. Housing is a human right. But I don't think it makes sense to throw out a governor because they have been unable to solve such a complex problem in a little over two years.

To end this post on a note of hope: there are some good short-term proposals that seem to be gaining ground. For example, using retrofitted shipping containers as housing is seeing expanded use in LA, and is much cheaper than building standard housing, while still being fairly livable (and much, much more humane than a tent). The LA Times just ran an editorial where the author visited a village of these houses, and she was impressed. I think stuff like this can make a good stopgap while we work toward addressing the problem in more permanent, but less popular ways, such as getting people on board with vacancy control, repealing prop 13, and addressing the systematic causes of homelessness.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Data Graham posted:

Conservatism is, at its core, an ideology for people who hate democracy and the idea of entertaining other opinions. Conservatism at its heart is at best predicated on a sort of paternalism; the idea that the Conservatives and Conservatives alone know what is best for society and they must shepherd the rest of society because the masses are too stupid to know what's best or how to care for themselves. Just like daddy sometimes had to take the belt to them when they were children so they could learn right from wrong, sometimes people, like liberals, need to be treated harshly. It is for their best, and more importantly for the best of society. Spare the rod and you spoil the child.

And I think I said it before, but I'd argue that what really defines fascism - and I'd argue that most Republicans are at this point fascist and not Conservative and have been so for at least a decade - is that fascists mistake the map for the territory. They no longer laud violence as a virtue of manhood and the first, and best, means of achieving a goal. To the fascist, violence is an ends in and of itself. You don't enact a policy because you believe it will society better; you enact it to own the libs because the suffering of liberals is an ends unto itself.

Sure they know this makes non-Republicans think they look like the bad guys, but who cares? At best it's seen the same as when a small child pitches a fit about having to take their medicine, and at worst they see the fact you are angered by their behavior as a positive.

You're either too stupid to know whats good for you so who cares what you think, or else the cruelty is the point.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not sure how conservatives square this with their constant calls to reinstate the draft.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Can't wait to see a video of Baked Alaska livestreaming himself harassing some family and getting his rear end beat before being arrested again.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Is it gonna be a clusterfuck like it was in 2003?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Unlikely, as far as I can tell. His major competitor seems to be Caitlyn Jenner, and she is unlikely to win because on the Left side, her policies are abhorrent, and on the Right side, she's transgender and they'd have to admit that we're not liars and pedophiles.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

This was discussed upthread, but in short: no. In 2003 Gray Davis had a reason for people on both sides to hate him. Newsom just has "he's a Democrat and he made me wear a mask!!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Almost certainly not. The recall election is likely to die at the first question ("Should Gavin Newsom be recalled as governor?") because California is simply just a shitload more Dem than it was in 2003. Last poll I saw was something like 56-40 in favor of keeping him as governor. If the first question fails, then the clown car ballot doesn't even matter.