Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude, Ill never own a house, or see the beautiful places in this world , steroid use is like the very bottom of " poo poo to care about"

Nah the fact that you'll never be happy with the way you look is part of the background malaise that sustains late capitalism. like it's not a priority for action or anything but nor should it be handwaved away as "oh it's just something actors do to prepare for roles nowadays, who cares"

that's a lovely page snipe so have some news bloopers, those are always funny (moving) pictures (with sound)

https://i.imgur.com/TcQbZYg.gifv

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bike tory posted:

but nor should it be handwaved away as "oh it's just something actors do to prepare for roles nowadays, who cares"

Why though? I'm on board with SneezeOfTheDecade that actors pretending that it's all hard work and diligence and anyone could do it is bad psychologically for their fans, but why not just embrace it?

"Yeah, I'm buff as poo poo after 6 months because I took a ton of drugs. Then the costume department custom crafted me an outfit that makes it look even better. And makeup made sure my face was perfect. Oh, and then post-production shaded my abs and let me fire laser beams out of my eyes. Because this is a movie, and none of it is real."

None of it is achievable by "normal" people, PEDs are way down the list of things that are faked in TV and movies.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Apr 27, 2021

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why though? I'm on board with SneezeOfTheDecade that actors pretending that it's all hard work and diligence and anyone could do it is bad psychologically for their fans, but why not just embrace it?

"Yeah, I'm buff as poo poo after 6 months because I took a ton of drugs. Then the costume department custom crafted me an outfit that makes it look even better. And makeup made sure my face was perfect. Oh, and then post-production shaded my abs and let me fire laser beams out of my eyes. Because this is a movie, and none of it is real."

None of it is achievable by "normal" people, PEDs are way down the list of things that are faked in TV and movies.

Because it's ubiquitous, even people with tiny bit parts in the background of TV shows that involve toplessness have these ridiculous physiques now. Like it's one thing for the superheroes in Marvel movies and poo poo, especially if the actors are open about what it took to look that way, but when it reaches the point that it's almost the only kind of body you see on screen it starts to gently caress with the public psyche.

And to be clear, poo poo has been this way for women for loving time immemorial, it's only the last 10 years or so that men have been represented this way too.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Apr 27, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

RCarr posted:

It’s the “easier way”, because there is literally no easier way to gain muscle possible. In terms of effort or time. Or any other factor. There is absolutely no easier way to gain muscle than doing steroids.

Right. I guess I'm guilty of my own complaint here, in conflating "easier" with "easy." Something can be easier than it was before and still not be easy.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why does anyone care about how actors get ready for a role? Actors represent fiction on film. Just about everything in movies and TV is done to create a specific effect on the screen, and their bodies are part of that.

The issue people take comes from the same place of concern as complaints about depictions of female bodies in media. These physiques are, by and large, impossible for a normal person to achieve. I'm also no shrink, but I would bet that continued promotion of these unrealistic body types contributes to eating disorders and other mental illness. ^^ bike tory and SneezeOfTheDecade have put this into words better than I could, especially that last part about "even bit parts" of films and TV having these insane bodies. In one of the best episodes of The Expanse, there's a character onscreen for maybe five seconds, and he's literally just a torso in frame. A rippling torso. Why???

There's an even more unfortunate phenomenon borne of the proliferation of anabolic steroids in Hollywood, and arguably more dangerous in its dishonesty: Their use by 'influencers'. Go searching for 'health & fitness' on Instagram or YouTube and you will find TONS of people who claim to be "natty" but who are obviously anything but. If you thought showing impressionable teenagers a yolked Chris Evans was bad for their mental health, imagine what they're going to think when some airhead Paul brother is explicitly telling them they too can look like that if they just drink Monster and snort N.O. XPLODE every day.

A lot of people, myself included, would have less of a problem with the ubiquity of AAS use in Hollywood if there was a more honest conversation around it. But that's not happening any time soon. I sometimes wonder if the top personal trainers actually have actors sign NDAs over it, but either way, nobody wants to be the one blowing the whole scam; even guys like Rob McIlhenney can only say things like "high testosterone is my cross to bear" with a wink at the camera, even The loving Rock has only ever admitted to "trying them when I was younger," like he's not currently banging a gram of trenbolone. There isn't going to be a reckoning, a 'naming of names' as there was in the MLB, at least not until we first tackle some other very serious conversations about mental health and the influence of media.

The irony is that this whole derail started with speculation about the steroid use of a musician, a realm in which artists' drug use matters even less than in Hollywood. And I apologize for getting the ball rolling, as interesting as this discussion has been.

Me, ordering Wendy's through SkipTheDishes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mister Speaker posted:

In one of the best episodes of The Expanse, there's a character onscreen for maybe five seconds, and he's literally just a torso in frame. A rippling torso. Why???

Well to be fair, in that torso's case it was pretty plot-relevant that it be a really good looking torso :v:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Data Graham posted:

Well to be fair, in that torso's case it was pretty plot-relevant that it be a really good looking torso :v:

I'm still mad about what happened to Maneo.

The girlfriend leaving him part, not the dying instantly while trying to cross the ring gate, that poo poo made him a legend. Oh gently caress it was his brother too, it's way worse than I remember. At least these Belter covers of songs are excellent.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Apr 27, 2021

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Steroids

Abongination has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Apr 27, 2021

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Weird Al is a smokeshow with or without steroids

Wait what were we talking about

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
UHF should have won an oscar or two tbqh

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

hate to say it, but no ring

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

tag ur gore/danishes

(I can't believe I've gotten to make that joke twice recently)

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Danish anus

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

The issue people take comes from the same place of concern as complaints about depictions of female bodies in media. These physiques are, by and large, impossible for a normal person to achieve. I'm also no shrink, but I would bet that continued promotion of these unrealistic body types contributes to eating disorders and other mental illness. ^^ bike tory and SneezeOfTheDecade have put this into words better than I could, especially that last part about "even bit parts" of films and TV having these insane bodies. In one of the best episodes of The Expanse, there's a character onscreen for maybe five seconds, and he's literally just a torso in frame. A rippling torso. Why???

Maybe the more relevant question is why PEDs are the hill people want to die on then. Never having been a user it just seems weird the amount that people care.

Like of course the entertainment industry promotes ridiculous standards. But when actors have personal trainers, are able to revolve their schedules around working out, and have a nutritionist planning their diet that's just considered normal even though it's impossible for anyone who works for a living. Actors get professional tailors to accentuate their bodies and professional make-up artists to cover up any facial flaws, neither of which seems to bother anyone. And by the time a movie/tv show gets through the computers everything is on a whole different level of (lack of) realism - also just shrugged off. But an actor took some steroids under the supervision of a doctor and everyone who ignores all of the above starts clutching their pearls.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe the more relevant question is why PEDs are the hill people want to die on then. Never having been a user it just seems weird the amount that people care.

Like of course the entertainment industry promotes ridiculous standards. But when actors have personal trainers, are able to revolve their schedules around working out, and have a nutritionist planning their diet that's just considered normal even though it's impossible for anyone who works for a living. Actors get professional tailors to accentuate their bodies and professional make-up artists to cover up any facial flaws, neither of which seems to bother anyone. And by the time a movie/tv show gets through the computers everything is on a whole different level of (lack of) realism - also just shrugged off. But an actor took some steroids under the supervision of a doctor and everyone who ignores all of the above starts clutching their pearls.

The truth is that on a certain level, you're right. We don't complain about makeup, wardrobe, or modern CGI to make actors look good on camera. In a very real sense, PED are a practical effect (i.e. not one done in-camera, like CGI etc.). And a lot of actors do use them to get their body to the point that the studio wants them to be.

The trouble with this is that performance-enhancing drugs - if I have been educated correctly - do damage to the human body.

And, again, as humans we are not rational beings. As such, many people see actors on screen - actors who have taken PED to get to a body shape that they or the studio want - and do their best to reach that body shape, because they (the people) see that as an ideal - and when they can't reach that body shape, seek out performance-enhancing drugs, which - again - do damage to the human body. We end up with people injecting poo poo like synthol and destroying their bodies.

You're absolutely right that this should all be treated as special effects. But it's not; humans look at actors on the screen who have bulked up in un-natural ways without obvious CGI in play and decide they should bulk up similarly, and destroy themselves in the process. I don't have a good way to solve this problem, but the solution isn't just "well treat it like CGI", because people provably don't.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You are correct, Weird Al is wearing a bald cap. Finally, we can move on.

Here's a picture.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Well I can't fault anyone for taking hormones, just be safe 🤷🏻‍♀️

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I’m going to start a website that challenges you to identify whether a given picture is of a Mr. Universe contestant or is he a leather sofa with eyes drawn on in sharpie. You might be surprised by some of the sofas!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Challenge pissing!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cocaine Bear posted:

You are correct, Weird Al is wearing a bald cap. Finally, we can move on.

Here's a picture.

Source?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I’m going to start a website that challenges you to identify whether a given picture is of a Mr. Universe contestant or is he a leather sofa with eyes drawn on in sharpie. You might be surprised by some of the sofas!

I wish to emulate the sharpie-eyed leather sofas.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Zil posted:

How does Ted Cruz work into the story?

Cruise Crews 2; CanCruz

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What's weird is that this derail started because I mentioned Trent Reznor, who I'm pretty sure didn't go "Holy poo poo my albums don't sell, better get ripped bro!"

Though it's pretty funny imagining him saying that. Zack Snyder should direct a NIN video.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Speaking of muscles let's appreciate the Google algorithm.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rascar Capac posted:

If you can think of a better way to mark the 700th anniversary of Dante Alighieri's death I'd like to hear it. :colbert:

Let's just bring back this classic from a decade ago.

https://www.engadget.com/2010-02-02-dantes-inferno-the-book-based-on-the-game-based-on-the-poem-ba.html

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

My webcam

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

The truth is that on a certain level, you're right. We don't complain about makeup, wardrobe, or modern CGI to make actors look good on camera. In a very real sense, PED are a practical effect (i.e. not one done in-camera, like CGI etc.). And a lot of actors do use them to get their body to the point that the studio wants them to be.

The trouble with this is that performance-enhancing drugs - if I have been educated correctly - do damage to the human body.

And, again, as humans we are not rational beings. As such, many people see actors on screen - actors who have taken PED to get to a body shape that they or the studio want - and do their best to reach that body shape, because they (the people) see that as an ideal - and when they can't reach that body shape, seek out performance-enhancing drugs, which - again - do damage to the human body. We end up with people injecting poo poo like synthol and destroying their bodies.

You're absolutely right that this should all be treated as special effects. But it's not; humans look at actors on the screen who have bulked up in un-natural ways without obvious CGI in play and decide they should bulk up similarly, and destroy themselves in the process. I don't have a good way to solve this problem, but the solution isn't just "well treat it like CGI", because people provably don't.

A blanket pronouncement that all PEDs are inherently damaging alongside a slippery slope argument that all roads leads to synthol. Such wonderful insight.

Eat clen. Tren hard.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Regardless of whether PEDs are dangerous or not, being pressured to take drugs for even minor roles is lovely and a labour issue.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I say lift all restrictions on performance enhancers in all fields so professional sports are eventually exclusively played by genetically engineered cyborgs with steroids instead of blood that can run faster than cars and hurl balls so hard each throw breaks the sound barrier.

Every movie would star a lurid abomination of flesh laboratory crafted to resemble a Greco-Roman statue and focus grouped to maximize visual appeal.

It'd make for some good TV until the inevitable uprising.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cpA4M0Hgo

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zil posted:

How does Ted Cruz work into the story?

:krakken:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Just the other day I found out that the final boss of this game is Lucifer. That's not a huge surprise, but his massive dong certainly was.
:nws: https://imgur.com/OTKfIoC :nws:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lodin posted:

Just the other day I found out that the final boss of this game is Lucifer. That's not a huge surprise, but his massive dong certainly was.
:nws: https://imgur.com/OTKfIoC :nws:

The level 2 enemies who are naked ladies who grab you with their massive prehensile tentacles coming out of their hoo ha while orgasming are also quite eye opening.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Welp, I'm looking forward to the next few Mythgard Academy sessions then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bit where giantess cleopatra pulls babies with scythes welded to their arms out of her nipples to fight you is also, as the kids say, a big mood.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Bloop posted:

UHF should have won an oscar or two tbqh

UHF, in it's own way, was as much a prediction of the future as Robocop was. Every fake TV show on there would fit in on YouTube.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
sure been a lot of words in here

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

that's enough

im canceling weight lifting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Your post says no, but your avatar says yes yes