Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Those aren't quite the same thing though. You can't really use "sakuga" for, say, a western cartoon because their animation quality is more or less consistent while anime's tends to vary wildly due to budget constraints and tight schedules and so forth. Similarly, chuunibyou refers to a specific type of delusional teenager, one who thinks they're an anime or videogame badass.

It goes back to adaptation. Close enough is often all you need to convey the intent of a phrase where a direct translation can be awkward and rely on context. Does a Mamoru Oshii film lose something if you don't know the specific context for his political criticisms? Of course, but it doesn't mean that you can't agree with his broader themes by applying his specific critiques to your own culture.

In the context I was referring to, the use of the specific language is more accurate but it can also be a barrier to entry. Mothers Basement uses these terms liberally because he's making videos for an audience that knows what they mean, but for an outsider looking in it can be an information overload where a simpler, if less specific, analogy could work better.

Language is fickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bleck posted:

I think I'd be more forgiving of the vtuber craze if every single time somebody tried to demonstrate a good vtuber moment to me it wasn't some painfully unfunny bullshit
whenever someone says something like this I'm just like "man I'm glad it doesn't take much to amuse me, it must suck to have such a high threshold for entertainment"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I understand it. It's how I feel about Parks & Rec.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I do sometimes kinda wish I could just breathe through a big toothy grin and clap at the screen as someone else reacts to opening magic cards

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vtubers are good peoples and entertain me to no end.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Veet Ubers

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mokinokaro posted:

The biggest vtuber company, Hololive,

*stares in Nijisanji*

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there's exactly one funny vtuber clip and it's the "let's kill da hoe" one. everything else is bad

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nijisanji's weird because it feels like some crazy glut of their viewership all falls on Kuzuha, who is good, but still.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ghostlight posted:

The good anime youtuber is Kenny Lauderdale

Also KaiserBeamz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwEVtQ49w6A

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bleck posted:

I think I'd be more forgiving of the vtuber craze if every single time somebody tried to demonstrate a good vtuber moment to me it wasn't some painfully unfunny bullshit

if I never see that little shark girl again it'll be too soon

Lol of course

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IronicDongz posted:

there's exactly one funny vtuber clip and it's the "let's kill da hoe" one. everything else is bad
Ok boomer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
let me know when you find a vtuber clip that isn't loud=funny or "I'm acting vewy cutesy uwu"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdR-8Ne5x8w

Also Korone learning english slang is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtb6txU32w

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a vtuber clip where the streamer got a sniper rifle in GTA and was shooting people while yelling that they should go home (it was the beginning of the pandemic) that I thought was pretty funny

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DanielCross posted:

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1291205211369934848?s=19 I was thinking of this story from LittleKuriboh when I made that assertion, but judging by what everyone else has been saying about TFS talents' careers I guess it wasn't a universal thing?

Gatekeeping in these industries is never fair or universally applied. It is a few people who for irrational reasons abuse their power. Think of them as middle-school bullies. They target whomever they think they can get away with for whatever reason they find justifiable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you must have misread, I said that isn't "loud=funny" or "I'm acting vewy cutesy uwu"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yardbomb posted:

Also Korone learning english slang is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtb6txU32w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGAwE_i0BQo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

you must have misread, I said that isn't "loud=funny" or "I'm acting vewy cutesy uwu"

I'm sorry that cute things hurt you this way.

Also voicework by this point is just playing the long game until Matt Mercer and co croak.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

IronicDongz posted:

If you dont like cute characters, why are you watching (or trying to watch) cute anime girls play games instead of like, I dunno some bearded guy in his 30s instead

It just doesnt seem like vtubers are for you :shrug:

like maybe just stick to Vinny or whatever

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 27, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IronicDongz posted:

shhhh. Let people enjoy things.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
vtuber defense squad out in full force tonight huh

Yardbomb posted:

I'm sorry that cute things hurt you this way.
I like cute things. I don't like obnoxious "yell/overreact" videos or listening to adults put on fake sounding 'cutesy' voices and acting like children. those things are not the same as 'cute', hope this helps

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Crank out that Dr. Disrespect the pisstuber.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So now we're at the "they all fake their voices to sound like children" (its actually a lot of their real voices) phase

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Saagonsa posted:

its actually a lot of their real voices

lmao

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IronicDongz posted:

vtuber defense squad out in full force tonight huh
I like cute things. I don't like obnoxious "yell/overreact" videos or listening to adults put on fake sounding 'cutesy' voices and acting like children. those things are not the same as 'cute', hope this helps

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just notice you're on the side of Bleck and that should be enough to make you realize you've made a poor decision

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

If you dont like cute characters, why are you watching (or trying to watch) cute anime girls play games instead of like, I dunno some bearded guy in his 30s instead
Hey now simpleflips is cute.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

look i can totally get not gelling with a particular (or even most) vtubers, especially since clips trend towards loud/easily memeable moments, but 'acting like children' is a super weird generalization imo? im sure im gonna get accused by someone of having anime brain rot or whatever the gently caress, but, i just don't get it? is it childish to be excited on a stream

(i like ina as a cool and laid-back streamer, she's a talented artist and her drawing streams are cool, but are also by their nature not very clippable)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Captain Invictus posted:

Just notice you're on the side of Bleck and that should be enough to make you realize you've made a poor decision

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

are we really back on this again
why not talk about something more interesting, like one piece

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Noah Caldwell Gervais on the life and times of Kyle Katarn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAYCB3b7rY

"The number one sport among Star Wars fans is arguing fiercely about which one is the worst. Rather than spending nine hours trying to objectively prove which one is the worst, I think the key to truly loving the franchise to to just shrug and embrace the inconsistency."

I love Noah. :allears:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

(it's 9, though)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captain Invictus posted:

shhhh. Let people enjoy things.

Captain Invictus posted:

settle down beavis, non-positive opinions aren't banned in the online creators thread version five

dmboogie posted:

look i can totally get not gelling with a particular (or even most) vtubers, especially since clips trend towards loud/easily memeable moments, but 'acting like children' is a super weird generalization imo? im sure im gonna get accused by someone of having anime brain rot or whatever the gently caress, but, i just don't get it? is it childish to be excited on a stream
I am sure there are exceptions but they don't seem to be popular because basically every vtuber clip that has ever been shared with me has the streamer putting on an overbearingly cutesy anime aesthetic and talking like a kid. probably a lot of that has to do with korone being so popular but still

I wouldn't still be responding here if it wasn't for how I said "let me know when you find a vtuber clip that isn't loud=funny" and was immediately linked a video that's just vtubers shouting repeatedly but that kind of blew me away

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

IronicDongz posted:

let me know when you find a vtuber clip that isn't loud=funny or "I'm acting vewy cutesy uwu"

You probably won't find this funny if your brain isn't broken like mine is but it's not either of the two things you said.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also if anybody is interested in setting the thread back on fire with Star Wars chat instead of vtuber chat, here are the hot movie takes Noah dropped during his video:

1. ROS sucks rear end.
2. TLJ has tons of structural problems but he likes what they did with Luke, if only because the perfect space Jesus version of him from the original EU was boring as poo poo.
3. Rogue One "might be" the best Disney SW film.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ariong posted:

You probably won't find this funny if your brain isn't broken like mine is but it's not either of the two things you said.

Nyanners is real good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ariong posted:

this one is ok and has an actual joke in it :)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXitORBeB0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sydin posted:

Also if anybody is interested in setting the thread back on fire with Star Wars chat instead of vtuber chat, here are the hot movie takes Noah dropped during his video:

1. ROS sucks rear end.
2. TLJ has tons of structural problems but he likes what they did with Luke, if only because the perfect space Jesus version of him from the original EU was boring as poo poo.
3. Rogue One "might be" the best Disney SW film.

this is all correct though