Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Just drop em in boss rooms instead of treasure rooms. Then you can't miss the cracked key :eng101:

actually I missed unlocking tainted keeper once because I was so strong that I didn't realize that I dashed over a pill until I swapped floors even though I put trinkets in 3 different boss rooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zedlic posted:

Awesome, good job! Beating Mom for the first time is a great moment. What kind of run was it?

Just Isaac because I don't think I had anyone else unlocked except Lazarus. I had several familiars that made the Mom fight relatively easy. The first time I got to Mom I had a half a heart of health remaining and got stomped pretty much as soon as the fight started so that was a little anticlimactic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
isaacmans

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just Isaac because I don't think I had anyone else unlocked except Lazarus. I had several familiars that made the Mom fight relatively easy. The first time I got to Mom I had a half a heart of health remaining and got stomped pretty much as soon as the fight started so that was a little anticlimactic.

oh hell yeah youll soon start getting the true dopamine hits of unlocking stuff constantly in isaac. Have fun buddy

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I finally beat hush 3 times on new save file, haven't even unlocked negative or polaroid yet. Now to look forward to getting stomped on over and over again by the new content (and by mom's foot when I try to unlock the forgotten).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

You actually receive an item when you beat Dogma:

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Dogma_(Item)

It gives 0.1 speed, 2 damage, and enough soul hearts to get you to 6 total hearts if you're below 6

You also apparently get The Wafer effect if you're on Normal mode :captainpop:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh hey if you feel frisky enough to do it as the lost, you can refight the boss in the mirror world for an additional drop

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I got psy fly for the first time...

on a run where I got zero damage pickups just familiars :negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What does breath of life actually *do*

I've picked it up and 'invincibility at a cost.' and it ticks down. I read that if you hold it too long you take damage so 'oh I'll use it to cross spikes' - damage. 'Oh hush you're in trouble now!' - damage

Is it bugged???

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I just got my 11 year old stepson hooked on Isaac. He had little interest in it, besides watching me play it, until I showed him Four Souls and he immediately wanted to play it eight times in two days. Then he was incredibly interested in playing the game on my Switch. Had him start a new save file and now he's started on that dopamine train of unlocking things as he achieves difficult things. I'm so proud.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's been a long time since I used it, but if you did the same thing I did you were probably thinking that you were invincible as you held down the bar. That's not the case - instead, you get the invincibility after draining the bar and quickly letting go of space. If you take too long to let go of space, you take damage - if you time it right, you get a brief burst of invincibility. It's really hard to use against bosses because of that, it's mostly for rooms. (If you're patient enough, you can max out any donation machine or devil beggar with it.)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've picked it up and 'invincibility at a cost.' and it ticks down. I read that if you hold it too long you take damage so 'oh I'll use it to cross spikes' - damage. 'Oh hush you're in trouble now!' - damage

Is it bugged???

The invincibility effect is applied when the charge depletes. You have a second to release the button before you take damage. You're not actually invincible when the charge is still going down.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess the item amounts to basically infinite money and free sacrifice rooms if you're patient enough to use it. But drat is it slow.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

might stop picking up fruit cake because when you have screen filling madness from parasite and trisagion a good portion of those tears are going to be ipecac lol. played the hell out of myself

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Finally beat Hush 3 times. Ah, the mines entrance needs 2 bombs, you say. Cool cool cool. *holds R key*

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Color Printer posted:

Finally beat Hush 3 times. Ah, the mines entrance needs 2 bombs, you say. Cool cool cool. *holds R key*

Keep in mind that if you're going for Mother you have two opportunities to enter the mines: in Dross/Downpour 2 and in Caves 2 after that. If you don't have the bombs the first time the door appears you can usually get them on the next floor.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Keep in mind that if you're going for Mother you have two opportunities to enter the mines: in Dross/Downpour 2 and in Caves 2 after that. If you don't have the bombs the first time the door appears you can usually get them on the next floor.

Usually. :shepface: (this time was not usually.)

This is gonna be fun. Sure hope I kill Mother first try somehow

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Color Printer posted:

It's surprisingly easy to consistsntly take the back path if you want it. I've only run into keys being an issue in time to hit Downpour 2 a couple of times and I can't remember a run where I didn't have two bombs to do Mines 1 that wasn't my fault burning bombs hunting for a secret room to do a thing instead. It's a resource tax, but especially because you basically run Downpour 2 twice if you need to thanks to the mirror you'd have to get really, really unlucky not to get two bombs by the time you need to.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wait is Perfection guaranteed to spawn for The Lost? :psyduck: That trinket is ludicrous with a whole bunch of the percent chance items.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well when it rains it pours

Looking at the wiki, apparently, godhead got nerfed so I guess I'm going sacred heart run

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wait is Perfection guaranteed to spawn for The Lost? :psyduck: That trinket is ludicrous with a whole bunch of the percent chance items.

It's if you go three floors without taking damage. You can fail to get it with the lost if you have extra life items.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sure wish I knew you could go backwards through doors during the Mines chase, because I got stuck when I went through a door and the shadow was directly in front of me in the next room, blocking my path and I hesitated and it took off my last heart. loving hell

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
While the mines chase isn't hard, I swear one of the most popular mods will be to put the knife blade in the lobby instead of the back.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Sure wish I knew you could go backwards through doors during the Mines chase, because I got stuck when I went through a door and the shadow was directly in front of me in the next room, blocking my path and I hesitated and it took off my last heart. loving hell

The mines chase gets quite manageable with practice, but it spends very little time in the sweet spot between frustratingly difficult and frustratingly tedious.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
Man, gently caress Delirium.

I had a solid J+E run which went the alt route to cash in on the double items. I guess he can't change into the alt floor bosses, and I found him at the first spot in the void via a card, so he only had like 5 valid forms to switch to. So he just repeatedly turned into Mom's foot, started the stomp (voice warning), then changed form to spawn directly on my face for unavoidable damage.

I can't imagine ever having the patience to beat him with characters like The Lost.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

She didn't end up killing me, but The Siren is a real nasty trick of a boss to pull

edit: hey i just want you all to know that I have never been happier to see a rainbow poop in my entire life than I am right now in Mausoleum II

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 27, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Finally beat Mother as The Lost. Floor one gave me Dead Cat in a curse room so I knew I had a really good shot at it. Continued to get rotten baby, a bunch of tear ups, polyphemus, toxic waste, 20/20 and then sulfer + car battery to seal the deal.

Managed to beat Mother on the first try so I didn't even need the Dead Cat :smug:

In Mausoleum I had a brain fart and just walked blindly into a spiked rock after clearing the room so Dead Cat definitely got me through it. gently caress those things

edit: Word of advice for anyone attempting runs with The Lost: Boss challenge rooms are your friend

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

chimera has a real cool bug where you kill both at the same time somehow and the fight doesn't end

yeah i can quit and reload to retry the fight but that's not, that's not fun, that's not great

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

While the mines chase isn't hard, I swear one of the most popular mods will be to put the knife blade in the lobby instead of the back.

Right next to the mod that removes the domestic strife on the ascent. I’m going through and unlocking the various alt characters now and maaaaaaan

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

How about a mod that gives Mother a loving goddamn visible health bar

that fight sure is a thing, huh

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I look forward to it being modded to be like the Antibirth version

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Color Printer posted:

How about a mod that gives Mother a loving goddamn visible health bar

that fight sure is a thing, huh

i'd be pretty okay with a mod that just let me start every run with black candle and spider mod

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm excited for mods!

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

i'd be pretty okay with a mod that just let me start every run with black candle and spider mod
There was already a curse remover mod for Afterbirth, and it will almost certainly still work when mods get re-enabled. I would not be surprised if there was one for Spider Mod also.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've had it twice now in my runs today and I'm pretty sure I'm done taking the Saturanus planetarium item. Every time I pick it up, it's really powerful and really good... and it makes it completely impossible to see because it's just huge loving bullets orbiting your character. If you have enough fire speed, it's actually miserable to play with just because of how little you can see because of the growing tears orbiting your character.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I don't think I'm ever picking up Marked again, moving that cursor around is so cumbersome

disclaimer: I use a controller

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I can't imagine playing this with a controller, especially using the sticks...now that sounds cumbersome.

Only 237 hours to go for me at this rate. Hate to see it end

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can use the face buttons to shoot, which makes it much more comfortable

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why would you play a twin stick shooter with a keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i used to play the flash version on kb forever ago, but the controller layout is a lot more comfortable to me now, especially with the analog movement and the several items that turn on analog shooting