Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Walrus posted:

I've been using hatchets, are they really that bad? I'm 14 levels underleveled for a mission in world 3 and it's kicking my rear end. maybe time to try fists.

Hatchets, like Dual Swords, have a few really good skills that carry the weapon. Advancing Storm, Piercing Hurl: Light, Lethal Barrage, Dual Hawks, All Ablaze and Greased Lightning to name a few. Getting a few more levels should make the early going much easier as your stats will still be low so even a few points will give larger benefits compared to later on when you start to run into some diminishing returns.

Or just try fist and mash random buttons to win :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ulio posted:

Still loving Nioh 1, 2 things I noticed though every npc loses their sword on average at least twice, every level is at night or slightly dark ambiguous time.

Forgot to add seems like there is also lots of big breasted yokai women.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I've been using hatchets, are they really that bad? I'm 14 levels underleveled for a mission in world 3 and it's kicking my rear end. maybe time to try fists.

Honestly, I'd say hatchets are stylish but bad. Their direct damage per hit is flat out low compared to other weapons, and any active skill to throw the hatchet costs a ton of ki. You can use them to slowly wear away tough enemies by throwing and running and recovering ki, if that is what you wished to do, but they won't be as good as any other weapon close up. I'd played Nioh1 a half a dozen times and jumped right on hatchets when I first started Nioh2 and I immediatly noticed how I was struggling on the second boss and wiped the floor with him first attempt when I swapped back to two-handed axe.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ulio posted:

Forgot to add seems like there is also lots of big breasted yokai women.

I wouldn't be suprised if this was historically accurate.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

WaltherFeng posted:

I wouldn't be suprised if this was historically accurate.

Nah, hyakki yagyo stuff is generally ugly as poo poo and for example the kasha wasn't a big breasteses catwoman, but instead just a big evil nekomata.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/sDy5oni.mp4

floaty float v2

e: actually how do you even do this kind of grapple on purpose, I think I remembered the game mentioning it at the very start but I can't find any tutorial message about it in the list

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 24, 2021

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If you do a grapple in yokai shift on a human enemy, it does that grapple. If you perform a burst counter that drops a yokai to zero ki and you press grab, it automatically follows up that burst counter with that grapple.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
And if you're in grapple range on a grapple-eligible target while in human form, doing the transform input will transform you and immediately do a yokai grapple.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

so we walked into That One Mission without knowing what it was, thinking it would be like any other side mission.

:wtc: was that

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

so we walked into That One Mission without knowing what it was, thinking it would be like any other side mission.

:wtc: was that

what, you don't like arena gauntlets that take nearly an hour? At least it checkpoints.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Nioh 1 had a similar mission, didn't it? I could never beat that one. I'm glad this one had checkpoints because my friend I do co-op with plays a full ninjutsu build but isn't good enough to dodge most of the attacks thrown his way, so we wiped at Otakemaru a couple of times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

we got it all in one go but had no idea whether there would be checkpoints so it was pretty terrifying by the end, I probably ate more than 8 paintbrushes over the whole thing and was completely carried by how many of them dropped along the way

It was pretty weird and lame that the last wave has two otaku uncles in a row instead of using the nightmare bringer boss added by the very same DLC for the second one?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

we got it all in one go but had no idea whether there would be checkpoints so it was pretty terrifying by the end, I probably ate more than 8 paintbrushes over the whole thing and was completely carried by how many of them dropped along the way

It was pretty weird and lame that the last wave has two otaku uncles in a row instead of using the nightmare bringer boss added by the very same DLC for the second one?

To be fair, the former is scarier because the latter is a complete chump.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I farmed a revenant for the scampuss hat and got one to drop but it still isn't showing up in the refashion list.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I farmed a revenant for the scampuss hat and got one to drop but it still isn't showing up in the refashion list.

Revenant Drops don't count for unlocking the look in the Blacksmith, for some reason

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I loved the first Nioh and just got Nioh 2 for PC and drat is this game amazing and a huge improvement every way over the first one. How is this game not more popular? It is the perfect combination of Diablo and Souls for me. Also love how easy it is to co-op now with just creating a room and having a blast. Also the funniest coincidence is I just finished watching the Age of the Samurai documentary on Netflix and this game is pretty much a retelling of that!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

ToxicToast posted:

I loved the first Nioh and just got Nioh 2 for PC and drat is this game amazing and a huge improvement every way over the first one. How is this game not more popular? It is the perfect combination of Diablo and Souls for me. Also love how easy it is to co-op now with just creating a room and having a blast. Also the funniest coincidence is I just finished watching the Age of the Samurai documentary on Netflix and this game is pretty much a retelling of that!

From what I've seen from Twitch streams of Nioh and similar, Nioh is less popular because of one of these reasons:
-'Bad enemy variety, wow there are still red yoki everywhere'
-People literally not interacting with the game mechancis at all and beating the story with highstance odachi with no active skills while doing the one-hit-then-roll strat like dark souls, then thinking it is boring
-Obsessive persons who see random item stats and dismiss the game because they think it will be grind heavy or too tedious because they HAVE to pick everything up in case they get a god item
-Not liking it be individual missions, they want dark souls 'interconnectivity' in which the world is full of areas 30 seconds apart that have arbitrary overlooks or elevators that lead into one another so you can pretend it is a smart, joined world but it is really just the usual video game theme park because realisitic sized travel time/cities would be bad

I think 2 and 4 are the biggest ones, some people play an action game like souls and press r1 twice then roll spam on a boss one hundred times in a row and think that is peak action game and they don't like anything that doesn't match. I was smarmy about dark souls world in point 4 but I think that shadow hangs over every action rpg game with a stamina bar and leveling up, you may have heard of the increasingly overused moniker of 'soulslike'.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

A lot of people are extremely allergic to loot which you can safely ignore / sell immediately.

The enemy variety was a problem in base Nioh without DLCs but it's not an issue anymore.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 27, 2021

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
"people are too dumb to appreciate the beautiful complex systems but also too dumb to understand that you don't actually have to interact with those systems"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Captainicus posted:

I was smarmy about dark souls

maybe you shouldn't

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Captainicus posted:

From what I've seen from Twitch streams of Nioh and similar, Nioh is less popular because of one of these reasons:
-'Bad enemy variety, wow there are still red yoki everywhere'
-People literally not interacting with the game mechancis at all and beating the story with highstance odachi with no active skills while doing the one-hit-then-roll strat like dark souls, then thinking it is boring
-Obsessive persons who see random item stats and dismiss the game because they think it will be grind heavy or too tedious because they HAVE to pick everything up in case they get a god item
-Not liking it be individual missions, they want dark souls 'interconnectivity' in which the world is full of areas 30 seconds apart that have arbitrary overlooks or elevators that lead into one another so you can pretend it is a smart, joined world but it is really just the usual video game theme park because realisitic sized travel time/cities would be bad

I think 2 and 4 are the biggest ones, some people play an action game like souls and press r1 twice then roll spam on a boss one hundred times in a row and think that is peak action game and they don't like anything that doesn't match. I was smarmy about dark souls world in point 4 but I think that shadow hangs over every action rpg game with a stamina bar and leveling up, you may have heard of the increasingly overused moniker of 'soulslike'.

seriously I can't get over how loving stupid this post is holy poo poo. Maybe the fact that you CAN beat a game that has a million weapons and an incredibly varied moveset with a single weapon and stance is a loving problem you dumb bitch? While Dark Souls, the dumb simple game, pretty much anyone playing it blind has to get creative and experiment and use different items and tactics many many times in the first playthrough? Sorry the rest of the Internet doesn't like the game you've become irrationally emotionally attached to

no, don't post ironicat fuckheads, I might love Souls but everything I'm saying is right and not dumb so I'm not being irrational. I don't dislike Nioh, it's a good game but the fact that you're showered with a million options but none of them matter (until apparently NG++++ when you're basically playing Path of Exile?) is absolutely a problem and not a feature

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feelix fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 27, 2021

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ok, I appreciate you disagree with me but I don't think I need to derail this thread and argue about it, laugh at my dumb post and move on if you wish

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

feelix posted:

seriously I can't get over how loving stupid this post is holy poo poo. Maybe the fact that you CAN beat a game that has a million weapons and an incredibly varied moveset with a single weapon and stance is a loving problem you dumb bitch? While Dark Souls, the dumb simple game, pretty much anyone playing it blind has to get creative and experiment and use different items and tactics many many times in the first playthrough? Sorry the rest of the Internet doesn't like the game you've become irrationally emotionally attached to

no, don't post ironicat fuckheads, I might love Souls but everything I'm saying is right and not dumb so I'm not being irrational. I don't dislike Nioh, it's a good game but the fact that you're showered with a million options but none of them matter (until apparently NG++++ when you're basically playing Path of Exile?) is absolutely a problem and not a feature

:wow:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

There’s no problem at all with how you wish to play this game, as long as it’s fun for you lmao

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Healbot posted:

There’s no problem at all with how you wish to play this game, as long as it’s fun for you lmao
This is true, but also I'm not sure how it's relevant. The problem is precisely that a lot of people end up playing the game in a way that is NOT fun. I know it's tempting to blame the player for continuing to do something that is unfun, but a well-designed game unobtrusively and invisibly steers the player to play it in a way that is fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I loved Nioh and Nioh 2 once I got into them but those barriers for entry were indeed very steep barriers and the games absolutely could’ve done a better job with them.

Over halfway through my playthrough of the second game and I was still trying to figure out how certain weapon stats work, not because these systems are incredibly deep but because there are so many drat numbers cluttered everywhere on these screens, a lot of them are never explained in game or are explained incredibly poorly, and even online only have vague explanations about how they work. What’s the difference between a weapon with 45 block and one with 50 block? Hell if I know!

This drives players into the same dilemma as the Skeleton Graveyard from Dark Souls 1. ”Am I getting destroyed by these enemies because the game’s supposed to be this hard, or are my stats too low?” The more stat variables there are, the more uncertain this question is for the inexperienced player. And Nioh has a lot of variables. Since this isn’t a semi-open game like Dark Souls where you can look around for another path, the only alternative on display is to grind for experience and gear, and try to parse the information overload that is the loot system. And that is daunting for most people and quickly drains their enjoyment of a game. If this were a more purely skill-based game like Sekiro or Ninja Gaiden, there would be the understanding that the challenge is meant to be beatable with what you have at your disposal. But Nioh adds a ton of uncertainty with its countless weapons, armor, stats, items, stacking passive bonuses, builds, and so on. It leads to confusion and frustration.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

feelix posted:

This is true, but also I'm not sure how it's relevant. The problem is precisely that a lot of people end up playing the game in a way that is NOT fun. I know it's tempting to blame the player for continuing to do something that is unfun, but a well-designed game unobtrusively and invisibly steers the player to play it in a way that is fun.

I see where you are coming from, I don't have a problem with people playing one button builds in a singleplayer game or one button builds being (very) good in a singleplayer game but I do think it is silly to blame the game for a one button build being good and the specific feeling of it obseleting others is a personal problem, not a design one. You might feel the opposite and think it is poor design and it is foolish to blame the player for wanting max efficiency even if it is boring. This game definitely doesn't steer you into anything interesting, it is all on you to try new moves/spells/items/guardian spirit summons, etc.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trying to claim Nioh doesnt encourage you to experiment but Souls does is just wrong.

I experimented a lot with the weapons until I found the movesets I liked, which combos are the most effective etc.

There's also a ton of different spells and items which give you a huge advantage over bosses and enemies.

All of this becomes even more important in NG+ cycles while in Souls the cycles don't really add anything new.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Investing in Onmyo Magic can turn you into an unstoppable God, who needs to wear heavy armour when you can just pop an armour talisman and laugh at enemies doing chip damage to you.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Judge Tesla posted:

Investing in Onmyo Magic can turn you into an unstoppable God, who needs to wear heavy armour when you can just pop an armour talisman and laugh at enemies doing chip damage to you.

Tell that to the revenants i dunk on and make them give me their lunch money loot :c00lbert:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How far am I? I just defeated Ogress in Nioh 1.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ulio posted:

How far am I? I just defeated Ogress in Nioh 1.

Bit less than halfway though you're over the hump difficulty wise so it'll go faster. Least that's how I found it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

finished all of the missions and side missions in NG. Overall side missions were quite good except for the last DLC where they really started to feel phoned in with the same boss fight copy pasted literally four times within that one region.

We’re now steamrolling NG+ and just sprinting through levels because doing everything in NG has left us a good 50 levels over the recommendation. do you get anything for doing all the missions in NG+/do any missions have new worthwhile rewards that aren’t listed on the rewards preview, or should we just do the minimum number of missions needed to move on until we’re back around recommended level?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

finished all of the missions and side missions in NG. Overall side missions were quite good except for the last DLC where they really started to feel phoned in with the same boss fight copy pasted literally four times within that one region.

We’re now steamrolling NG+ and just sprinting through levels because doing everything in NG has left us a good 50 levels over the recommendation. do you get anything for doing all the missions in NG+/do any missions have new worthwhile rewards that aren’t listed on the rewards preview, or should we just do the minimum number of missions needed to move on until we’re back around recommended level?

Recommended level stops being important in NG+ IMO, it's more about how good your divine/ethereal gear is. Some missions will list ninja and onmyo locks as a reward (there are A LOT of Samurai's locks as rewards, too) so I'd say beeline those. They're all the same in every difficulty - Saito's 1v1 and The Sun Sets on Mount Tenno always give Onmyo's locks, for example. Same with Ninja's locks and the mission with Hanzo and the cats. A few missions also give you guaranteed scroll drops, but those are all listed on the rewards section. Other than that, you get items like the Kodama and Sudama helmet, as well as Mumyo's mask, for clearing all the mission in NG+ difficulty and upwards, but if you clear all the missions in, say, Way of the Nioh, you get retroactively all the other completion rewards from the previous difficulties.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that would be my recommended strat for not getting completely burned out on NG+ shenanigans:
Clear all of NG
Hit the NG+ levels that give you stat points as rewards until you unlock the final mission region
Beeline to it and get carried through the map by William and Mumyo
Gitgud at fighting Orochimaru
Repeat until DotNioh to unlock the Underworld
Now the REAL Nioh 2 begins :smuggo:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah that would be my recommended strat for not getting completely burned out on NG+ shenanigans:
Clear all of NG

This includes the DLC right?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Morter posted:

This includes the DLC right?

Technically you don't have to. You can't access the DLC in NG until you chump Otakemaru anyway so it's a moot point. (You can access the DLC in subsequent difficulties once you unlock the last region.)

Since it's properly tuned for NG completion anyway it's good to have a go at it at least once on the intended difficulty level. Also the gear you get from it will smooth out the early parts of the next higher difficulty.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 28, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Bit less than halfway though you're over the hump difficulty wise so it'll go faster. Least that's how I found it.

Oh ok, I just checked howlongtobeat I guess me replaying almost all the missions multiple times added a lot to my game time. I am like at 45hours already while that site is saying main story is only 45hs.

Really enjoying it thus far. I feel like overall I haven't been really stuck on any of the bosses too long but it's been a good mix of difficulty. Reminds me of DS1 where Capra Demon early on was a challenge but if you get through that everything is manageable. In this I feel like Hino Enma was definitely that early challenge. I wonder if there will be another huge spike in difficulty ala Ornstein/Smough mid game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I assume this was a player doing a challenge but do high-level mujina popping out of the chest just instakill you if your stats are low enough? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1387888279400460290

Nioh 2 for PS4/5 for :10bux: if anyone happens to be in here wondering about the game.